test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weekly Community Poll #8

ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
edited April 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys, sorry that this is a few days delayed. Time has not been my ally this week!

Which of the above is your favorite Dungeon Delve Unique Boss Mechanic? Why?

Let us know with your votes and feel free to expand in a comment below.
And please keep the "I hate adds" comments to a minimum. Cryptic heard us loud and clear before Module 1 and has not introduced add heavy fights since. No need to continue to beat a dead horse; unless it is animated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• demidogzdemidogz Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I like VT, though at the starting 20% HP it can only cast that one AoE damaging spell which drains all AP. (and flying around everywhere)

P.S Where's the Dread Vault? :O
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    I knew I didn't want to include every Delve Boss (such as Pirate King) so I just chose a random number and filled in some options with random delves which I feel are the most unique and/or enjoyable for me.

Personally I loath Dread Vault so truth be told it never even crossed my mind when I was randomly picking options. *Whistles Innocently*
  • adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I voted for spellplague, because I love to play around with hulks and illithids :)
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like rewarding exploration, so I had to go with Cloak Tower.

Alternatively I would have gone with one of dungeons that allow you to control the number of adds during the fight. GWD, MC, and VT each do it in a different manner, but I wouldn't say one way is superior to the others.

Also DV would have been a good addition since that end boss fight includes randomness (which boss is summoned between phases).
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    adernath wrote: »
    I voted for spellplague, because I love to play around with hulks and illithids :)

I think you mean Dread Vault - that's the one w/ Illithids and Thoon Hulks. Spellplague has spellscarred. It does have a handful of enemies that do that attack that draws you toward them, however.

Personally, I kind of like the Idris fight - positioning is important, there aren't too many adds, and you kind of need everyone to stick to their assigned task, (be it taking care of those adds, DPS-ing the boss, or otherwise supporting their teammates).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited April 2014
    Since I could only vote with the posted mechanic in mind, I chose the Bonus Reward. I mean, I play MMOs for the rewards. If I could vote for the dungeon as a whole, it would go to VT: It's small, thus quick, and has an interesting boss fight.
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cloak Tower hands down. The "Follow the glowy path and crash into a melting wall thaht does not melt" mechanics always brings entertaining messages in the Party chat.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I voted Spellplague for the phases, gigantic boss and crumbling platform.

It's the fight that feels most action packed and tense to me, even though it might not actually be true. You also have a boss that truly makes the adds feel tiny and unimportant by size alone. For other bosses the adds take up way too much space and are way too numerous, they tend to feel like they'd have been better labelled as "random dude and a GIANT ARMY OF DOOM!" instead of "Big Boss and his minions!"
  • mooseykatmooseykat Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2014
    Cloak tower of course
  • donta79donta79 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    I Voted VT not because its my favorite mechanic its my least favorite, but it does make for a challenge, now if they can just make that boss not go bat crazy at random or after a wipe... servers need to go back up need to get my VT farm on..
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like the mechanics of Spellplague, Clock Tower, and Idris. A future dungeon should have all three plus a slippery ice arena for one or all of the bosses. ;)
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I voted for Cloak Tower, because half the fun of a dungeon is the exploration.
    Valindra's Tower, Grey Wolf Den, and Throne of Idris, are tied for second because of the teamwork required. Plus you need to exercise the "little grey cells"* to figure out how to beat them.

Dread Vault is my most hated dungeon for any number of reasons.

*Belgian accent
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    . . . Mechanically speaking, I love the special reward aspect of the Cloak Tower. Also, like Orden, I love the exploration aspect of it with the maze-like layout at parts.

. . . However, over-all, my favorite Delve is Pirate King, which isn't an option. I love how many of the nodes are part of the geography/aesthetics as well as the special unlocking of additional skill nodes. I also love how there are so many chests in the delve. Not just that there are so many of them, but how awesomely they are placed through out. Makes it very fun to find them all, show them to new players, and the like. I love exploration.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Psst, Zeb. Boss Mechanic. ;)

I added in Cloak Tower just because it was a hidden reward that could only be discovered after the final boss.

Exploration-wise I love Pirate King. However the final boss is, in truth, very similar to Frozen Heart.
  • farla47farla47 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As much as I hate VT, for various reasons (mainly loot withholding), VT. For the main part of the fight it's actually the boss you deal with, not her adds, and it forces the party to use teamwork.
    (almost)All my friends are Imaginary!
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Phantasmal Fortress - the Multiple Zulkirs make any one Boss pale in comparison.
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I had to vote for CT because anything that provides less rushing to the end is good. Otherwise, MC is probably my next favorite. I personally can't stand fighting a single boss and his 6k minions.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Before Cryptic nerfed the knockoffs to offset CW's immense advantage in dungeons, I'd say that knocking off mobs in a cliff was the best combat experience I've had in ANY MMO game that I have played. That was a big reason why I stuck with this game.
  • tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I voted for Frozen Heart, mainly because those trolls are hilarious. The things they say are good for a laugh if one takes the time to read the text boxes. "Angry giant in front, angry adventurers in back...Me no like this!"
    The enhanced Rimefire Golem fight is a typical add fest but the dropping icicles keep you on your toes.
    I do like the Hrimnrr fight. His red circle attacks vary at times, from circles, to X patterns, or random little splotches here and there.
    From a DC standpoint this is a fun fight.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Of the ones you named,

My favorite would probably be Irdis. Its a little harder than your average because the boss does some screwy things.
    But I like that fight on the tiered platform.

Grey Wolf Den I remember that being a surprisingly cool boss fight, but mostly due to the location. It was one of the coolest arenas for a boss fight. I never had any troubles in this one. I think I've always had groups that cleared it relatively easy.

Spellplague is a lot of fun too. Its definitely something different.

Not surprisingly I prefer the Malabog Dragon Fight to the Valindra's Tower fight. I like both dungeon delves up to that point.

Cloak Tower I only liked for the scenery, the actual dungeon crawl never enthused me much, and the end bossfight is... well... nothing to speak of. But yes, the items on the alters below is a very nice touch.... I did like Castle Never though, just not the end boss fight much, you never get to enjoy the dragon because of all the Adds..... when it doesn't bug out and prevent you from moving forward. I suspect though its because of the scenery, and classic dungeon crawl feel to it.

Now... Epic Dread Vault... that is another screwy boss fight that goes much like Spellplague. Everything you normally do or want? You do the opposite in there. Melees need not apply, this one will crush them like grapes. Those Thune Hulks are just too nasty. Ironically this one is a Rangers and Wizards end boss fight.

But It is Idris I prefer, of the ones you named... as far as boss fights.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    MC, because the boss fight is not add heavy and other classes than CW's have a chance of geeting into a party.

• pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Valindra's tower by far. Since even HR,TR and GF(?) are useful there. Everyone can shine there. It promotes equality.

I miss the "Rainbow parties" back in module 1, where people weren't such elitists and gave every class a chance.

PS: My main is a Control Wizard, I don't complain getting insta-groups but dam I feel bad for the 3 classes above because they're neglected.