test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the usefullnes of Professions

sexyspikessexyspikes Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2014 in PvE Discussion
I am pretty new to the game and would like to know if leveling the professions has any benefit in-game besides the obvious
things like making your own potions etc.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/634/feature/7327/Neverwinter-Crafting-Professions-Shine-in-New-Developer-Blog.html

In the above link it say "Leadership will help you to earn extra currency, items, experience, and more as you adventure"
Does that mean in-game or during leveling Leadership?

Thanks
Post edited by sexyspikes on

Comments

• aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    High level leadership jobs return up to 1600 AD, and some gold.

High end weapons from MC and VT must be made with artificing or weaponsmithing.

T2 arms can be reinforced, and pants/shirts can be made with the class appropriate armor profession.

IWD will have a new profession for making black ice gear.
  • tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Opinions about Professions will vary drastically.

Keep in mind that the profession scale miserably with your characters progression. This means you can hit level 60 with your character and have professions that are not even level 5 yet! Some professions, like Leadership, take a significant amount of time to level.
    In the above link it say "Leadership will help you to earn extra currency, items, experience, and more as you adventure"
    Does that mean in-game or during leveling Leadership?

Specific to your question: Leadership, as will other profession, will continue to provide their rewards for as long as your doing them. The rewards do get better as they raise in level, but nothing is stopping you from revisiting lower level tasks to craft things. The professions do not stop once they are leveled.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Professions: Time and AD sink.
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Professions in Neverwinter exist primarily so PWE can fleece the most obsessive crafters for Zen purchases. Without the best Tools, the only profession worth anything is Leadership, and the only way to get the best Tools is to spend <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> loads of AD or Zen.
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I make approximately 24K AD daily, per character, from leadership and invocation. I'm pretty sure about 75% of it is from leadership. I ranked two other profs to rank 20 to open extra slots for leadership. I bought 4 blue mail-smith guys to get a slot open, then I ranked alchemy to rank 3 and bought 4 purple tools at about 100K each to open the 9th and final slot, then passed them to each character so they could do the same.

So, speaking just for me, that is the value of professions. There are other things you can do with them, but this is all I do.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bucklittle wrote: »
    Professions: Time and AD sink.

I make around 1,000,000 AD a week using Leadership on 11 different characters. Do some simple math and the "AD sink" can turn into some serious AD creation.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The bright side of spending an arm&leg on the best tools is that once you have them you have the potential for a semi-reliable and unending source of income. I bought my tools 5-6 months ago and have made back every AD I spent and much more (almost double the initial investment, I'd wager); another 6 months and I'll have made ~2x the investment amount in profit (plus the initial investment returned).

That being said, my alts with Leadership 20 have made respectable amounts of AD as well. Let it pile up for ~6weeks and next thing you know, you have half a million on a character. 10-20 minutes a couple times a day on the Gateway and Presto! AD!
  • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I make around 1,000,000 AD a week using Leadership on 11 different characters. Do some simple math and the "AD sink" can turn into some serious AD creation.

What about for us humans without that strange "patience" thing I hear everyone talk about? :P At least merching doesn't take as long as lv 20 leadership...
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    godlysoul2 wrote: »
    What about for us humans without that strange "patience" thing I hear everyone talk about? :P At least merching doesn't take as long as lv 20 leadership...

I use quite a few methods to make AD outside of farming/selling.

Leadership, Enchanting and Flipping are my primary methods of creating AD. It's not hard. Leadership is great. Log on twice a day (morning and evening), and you're done.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • buliloli0107buliloli0107 Member Posts: 90
    edited April 2014
    Same leadership for me... I got several acnts and makes sure i max refine Rough diamonds each of them thats 24k EAcH. IT does help to salvage also if im lacking the quota...

NExt patch u get a reward and im not so sure what from lvling out from max lvl... so leadership MIGHT be more helpful than usuall.

ALso I max weaponsmithing or Artificing coz i played many classes for VT/MC weapons... SAdly there are no reinforced PVP/MC/VT GEar

LAstly NEXt patch Ice Shapping if it is not gona cost me real life mONeys.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    LAstly NEXt patch Ice Shapping if it is not gona cost me real life mONeys.

You get 1 free tool which can get you by at a slower rate, otherwise it will cost zen/ad from ah.
  • delarediadelaredia Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Leadership does take a long time to level to 20, but only a couple of weeks to hit level 13 (given 6+ slots and buying the men-at-arms to skip training and upgrading times). From there, you can get a 1600 a slot rare task, along with collect taxes and battle undead. Even with 6 slots, that's 10-12k + 1-2k invocation per day, nearly 100k per week per character. Don't let the long grind discourage you, because you're still making bank while you level it, particular from 12+.
  • aerotraerotr Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    From my experience, which is, I leveled up leadership, leatherworking, artificing to level 20. Only one worth is LEADERSHIP, as it gives some coin and AD as reward. Others are just waste of time.

When my leatherworking was 20, I saw I can craft a purple pant. But I needed dragon egg, so bought it around 40k from AH, crafted the pant, used 1, and wanted to sell the second one just to see it is worth 38k on AH, so LOL, I have lost AD. I can craft a pant with a slot, which you need to have blue or purple assets which cost like 160-300k on AH. So may be when you spend around 1 million AD, you can profit after some time via professions.

So for me, only LEADERSHIP, rest is meaningless.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I make enough with Leadership to easily afford the new companions that show up with nearly every event. Right there makes it worth it since for me that's a lot less of a grind than the events themselves.
  • vattaravattara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I make approximately 24K AD daily, per character, from leadership and invocation. I'm pretty sure about 75% of it is from leadership. I ranked two other profs to rank 20 to open extra slots for leadership. I bought 4 blue mail-smith guys to get a slot open, then I ranked alchemy to rank 3 and bought 4 purple tools at about 100K each to open the 9th and final slot, then passed them to each character so they could do the same.

So, speaking just for me, that is the value of professions. There are other things you can do with them, but this is all I do.

Glad I ran across your comment :)
    I had 4 blue Mailsmiths scattered around several characters and didn't realize it LOL
    They are now together earning that extra slot for each one. And annoying as Alchemy is to level up regarding the random success its still the fastest Profession to get to Level 20
  • airelanairelan Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pants? or did they actually add this in since last I played you could only get pants from crafting.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    airelan wrote: »
    pants? or did they actually add this in since last I played you could only get pants from crafting.

There's one dungeon - I wanna say Cloak Tower or Cragmire Crypts, that can drop a blue shirt or pants - I've only ever seen it drop once, and the stats on it weren't as good as what players could make.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Pretty disappointed in tradeskils in this game.

I think the real disappointment didn't come in until I analyzed Alchemy. I have never seen a game make Alchemy as pointless as they did in Neverwinter. Just saying... The truth is Alchemy doesn't do anything imaginative, impactful, or that generates a solid feeling of pay off. It is just such a conservative take on what alchemy in a game should be.

It stood out to me because every game has an Alchemy. Every game! Would you like me to start doing a line by line comparison to what alchemy does in Neverwinter compared to what alchemy does in other games because I can =)

I remember I was skyping a friend, and we had been swapping around tradeskill stuff. He said he was raising Alchemy. I said, "do you have a plan for what you will do with it when you are done?" He said, "I am going to combine all my alchemy people." We both laughed.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    There's one dungeon - I wanna say Cloak Tower or Cragmire Crypts, that can drop a blue shirt or pants - I've only ever seen it drop once, and the stats on it weren't as good as what players could make.

From what I have seen, every normal dungeon has blue shirts and pants that come out of the dungeon delve chest.
  • cerrillacerrilla Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »

I actually got the shirt drop in Cloak Tower just an hour ago. It was better than what i had but probably not as good as a crafted one.

OP: Leadership. Yes. Make AD and do it with religion, don't skip. When you can, get more mercenaries and do it again.
  • nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    qutsemnie wrote: »
    Would you like me to start doing a line by line comparison to what alchemy does in Neverwinter compared to what alchemy does in other games because I can =)

do it!
    But you are right most professions are pointless unless you are 60 its just annoying. Professions are a joke to me especially at low lvl where the arms vendor in PE sells better stuff most of the time.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    nurmood wrote: »
    do it!
    But you are right most professions are pointless unless you are 60 its just annoying. Professions are a joke to me especially at low lvl where the arms vendor in PE sells better stuff most of the time.

Wouldn't say leadership is a joke. I think its a great designed profession. The other ones are though