test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why Is Dyeing Weapons Not Allowed?

haven112haven112 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
edited April 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Honestly, I remember the days when the only way the dye a weapon was to perform some sort of odd glitch. But why are weapons honestly not allowed to be dyed? I know this has been said many times before, but I've never seen a good reason why they wouldn't implement something like this in game. Cryptic, think of the MONEY you would make from people buying dyes to dye their weapons! Wouldn't you want that?

If anyone knows the TRUE reason why we're not allowed to dye weapons, please let me know :D!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I doubt you'll get an official response. Personally, I think it's because they want to restrict certain weapon appearances for special occasions - like the gilded weapons of waukeen where very very close to other weapon skins, only they were gold.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why allow something for free, when it can be added at an extra cost. I'd imagine they'd want another sink, like the character alteration tokens, rather than just relying on you spending incremental amounts of AD on more dyes.
  • Options
    leinahtanwcleinahtanwc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Weapons were at one time able to be dyed. I am probably one of the few people on the server that has a ruby/gold longsword left. Here's a picture of it. Promo2.png~original

As to how you "could" dye, it involved loading the dye and an armor into the customize window, then swapping out the armor with the weapon. I tried this recently and it seems they fixed it.

*That picture is from a long time ago, of my foundry.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Why allow something for free, when it can be added at an extra cost. I'd imagine they'd want another sink, like the character alteration tokens, rather than just relying on you spending incremental amounts of AD on more dyes.

Well, me being a perfectionist, I would definitely pay some cash to be allowed to dye my weapons. It annoys me that I have to look far and wide for weapons that are already coloured in green or black or blue or whatever, only to find out the cost a ton on the Auction House, then buy them, find out they look <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on my character, and realise I spent a ton of money for nothing.

In simpler terms, I just think that having my weapons stick out like a sore thumb is very annoying to me when I have to admire my character. Hopefully the new weapons/armor in Icewind Dale will look good and can fit together somehow.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    there is this other game i play that used to limit the ability to dye any legendary items but they have now included coloring and transmogrification to nearly everything... except you still can't dye weapons.

this may be a design decision although the reasoning behind it is unknown. perhaps in the future there will be special weapons dye packs and the reason why it no longer is an option is because the outcomes were unpredictable and not intended. all we can do is suggest that we would like the option and hope it becomes a reality in the future. i'm sure there are tons of ideas they want to implement, but there may be dozens of other things that are a higher priority.
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    yes add weapon dyes please, makes no sense you can transmute but not die them.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Dyeing weapons would encourage people to spend AD/Zen. I can't figure out why it got removed and hasn't been added back.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Dyeing weapons would encourage people to spend AD/Zen. I can't figure out why it got removed and hasn't been added back.

EXACTLY! It seriously doesn't make any sense. Think of the influx of zen and AD that would occur simply because of PWE allowing us to dye are weapons! Com on PWE, I doubt it's that hard to pull off.
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Because weapons don't have souls, they aren't living things therefore aren't supposed to die.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Could at sell variations of metallic tints.
    So long as I don't have to buy 3 separate dyes.

Maybe allow a Brass free alteration during a skirmish
    to re-launch the new dyes.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Because weapons don't have souls, they aren't living things therefore aren't supposed to die.

Wow... I can't argue with that logic XD.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Why bother to dye your weapon? Whenever you add an enchantment to it it will take on the colour of that enchantment. For example the Terror enchantment will turn your weapon black.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Why bother to dye your weapon? Whenever you add an enchantment to it it will take on the colour of that enchantment. For example the Terror enchantment will turn your weapon black.

Not every enchantment covers a weapon entirely. Also, you have to take into account what the weapon is. For example, a rogue has two daggers.
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Keep in mind that dying weapons had worked just fine and Cryptic took the time to go in and disable it. Since this is the case I would imagine they are planning another currency sink based on dying weapons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    doctordnadoctordna Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This isn't Guild Wars don't you know? What the heck were you thinking? Dying weapons for free should be crime. You want that character to look great and be all they can be? You need to visit the store and buy the "Guardian of Neverwinter Pack" then everyone will show you the respect you rightly deserve.

This was in no way a response from a PWRD shareholder.

Thank you.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Metallic Weapon Dye = Alchemy Skill?
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Dyes applied to weapons do tend to show metallic textures just fine. The Many-Arrows dye looked absolutely fantastic on TR daggers, showing a somewhat dull bronze with red in the fuller and hilt accents. There are a lot of other event dyes that I think would look really good on weapons as well.

Dangit, we just want to be able to customize all our gear to match.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    str8slayer wrote: »
    Keep in mind that dying weapons had worked just fine and Cryptic took the time to go in and disable it. Since this is the case I would imagine they are planning another currency sink based on dying weapons.

They also did this with disabling any slot of clothing's appearances. So i dont know about that currency sink specifically.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    xushin7 wrote: »
    They also did this with disabling any slot of clothing's appearances. So i dont know about that currency sink specifically.

I don't care how much they'll make me pay. It could even cost twice the amount, I would get it, and Cryptic would be quite happy as well! Win/Win Scenario! Hopefully if we keep this forum page active enough with people constantly complaining, they'll have to give it to us sooner or later.

However, in my opinion, I think it should simply be implemented into the dyes that already exist. No need for a price change. Cryptic will then earn a lot more money! It's SUCH an easy cash grab for them and they refuse to do it.
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Khazid'hea might have a different opinion. You should try to talk to him!
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    kingjon555kingjon555 Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2014
    Originally, players could dye weapons.

Later, players could use a sorta buggy method using Change Appearance popups to dye weapons.

For a long time now, that "bug" has been "fixed" so that it's not possible to dye a weapon, ever.

The entire time, ZERO words from Devs. Heck, even the "bug fix" was a hidden update not announced in patch notes.

So can we get a word, devs? Why can't weapons be dyed? Was it an accident to allow it in the first place? And if so, why disallow it? It makes little sense.

The only reason I can possibly imagine is that dyeing a weapon could cause some game-breaking glitch. However, that is clearly not the case, as players have dyed weapons in the past through legitimate and/or "buggy" means and nothing horrendous occurred.

So what's going on? All we want is an explanation. Is that unreasonable?
  • Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Doesn't really matter anyway.

I get the Fire Glow from the latest CTA and it just turns to white because of my Weapon Enchantment. (plague Fire)

I get a CTA Glow weapon and my Weapon Enchantment is Bronzewood it turns it a weird alien green leaf camo Colouring.

So basically change the colour of your main weapon via the Weapon Enchantment.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jintortle wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter anyway.

I get the Fire Glow from the latest CTA and it just turns to white because of my Weapon Enchantment. (plague Fire)

I get a CTA Glow weapon and my Weapon Enchantment is Bronzewood it turns it a weird alien green leaf camo Colouring.

So basically change the colour of your main weapon via the Weapon Enchantment.

It's not quite that simple. For many people, their preferred armor color doesn't match any enchantments, and even if it does, the enchantment does not cover enough of the weapon. Even then, its still possible to make out the color of a weapon under anything but Perfects.

My longsword, for example, is transmuted to a Profound longsword, with a Perfect Flaming. The hilt is LARGE, uncovered from the Flaming enchantment, and is tan/brown like any other Profound weapon - this clashes quite badly with my Nightmare (black/red/gold) dyed armor/shield. It would look much better if the hilt and the blade under the fire was dyed Nightmare.

Really, in the grand scheme of things, it's a tiny problem. It's simply confusing that this issue has been around for about six months, and 250+ threads/posts later, nobody has taken 2 minutes to officially address it at all.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Have any of the threads before about this become really popular? Because it seems like that's the only way to get the dev's attention nowadays: have an extremely active thread that lasts for a long time.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    haven112 wrote: »
    Have any of the threads before about this become really popular? Because it seems like that's the only way to get the dev's attention nowadays: have an extremely active thread that lasts for a long time.

No, none of them have gotten any responses. We should just keep this thread bumped. I have no idea why, you'd think a problem this simple would take a whole 60 seconds to respond to. There must be something we don't know, or the devs are vehemently against weapon dyeing for no reason.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I posted a question in the Q&A thread about weapon dyeing a couple days ago and I just read the manuscript of which questions were answered.

Unsurprisingly, I suppose, my question was ignored. However, in their defense, it was a later question in the overall thread. Maybe if I got closer to the first page they would have seen it.

Oh well. Until then, I'm keeping this on the front page as much as I can help it. Simple issue, simple thread, hoping for a simple response.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i can assure you that the devs are aware of this issue as it has been present even before it was fixed. by fixed, i mean the option wasn't originally intended but there was a way around that... but not anymore.

however the devs have never stated why weapons cannot be dyed or if there will ever be that option.

i play this ARPG where you have dyes but you can't dye all gear, specifically weapons. i understand the aesthetics of being able to dye weapons, but most weapons are altered by enchantments anyway (or that's the target, isn't it?).

and another question... if you found excalibur, would you give it a make-over to match your armor?

[as a side note, bumping is against the forum rules. there are plenty of topics that other people feel are important to neverwinter and deserve the attention of the community, if not the devs. if all of those threads got bumped all the time, it would become a moderators nightmare. so if you have something to add to the discussion, by all means. bumps may be removed with or without warning.

do not reply to this part of this post. instead, send us a PM if you'd like to discuss it.]