test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

10300 zen for the mercenary companion? Really?

dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/3039353

So if you buy 10300 zen worth of items over 4 days (items you might not have been planning to buy anyway), you can get a promotional companion that has been offered multiple times before for far less (along with yes, some other promotion items too). Isn't that amount a bit high, Cryptic?

And you don't even list what the titles you can earn on day 1 and 2 are. I'm guessing they are also repeats of previous promotions like everything else here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just wanted to know If those companions were level 30 or not..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    xxleyanxxxxleyanxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm kinda curious what the titles are too.. 10k+ of zen seems a bit *cough* too expensive for a companion, and the stats aren't even listed on the news article. I guess I'll just get p.wards and be happy with my title, the blood rubies are useless for me since I get a bunch of enchantments that I could dump into the refinement bin. :o
    Synnove ~ Full PvE CW
    Emeril ~ PvP HR
  • Options
    alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Have you ever played Perfect World International? Let me tell you a story about the Rank IX Armor, how the last time I was there every serious endgame guild required you to have a full set (minus weapons, except for one or two classes) refined to +10 or +15 before they'd consider you, and how that armor set required USD $3,000 worth of cash shop items. You'd think I'm making it up, but I'm really not.

For all the good times I've had playing PWE-published games and for all the good customer service I've gotten from PWE as a whole, it does need to be noted that they are ... shall we say ... a bit expensive.
  • Options
    alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just wanted to know If those companions were level 30 or not..

The Faithful Initiate and Archmage's Apprentice are green.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Same with the mercenary (which is also listed on that page).
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Let's be fair: if you go all five days you get THREE COMPANIONS, Not just Drow.

All in all, it sounds about right, and it sounds about fair when compared to the Hero of the North pack, but pushing it when comparing to Guardian of the North and the Knight of the Feywild packs. However, it still fits well within the price range.

I think my only "gripe" (if I actually had one; I don't) is the "nickel-and-dime" method of purchase: you have to make specific purchases on a specific day, on each of five different days, contiguously in a row. That just seems like too much *work* for me. Easier to simply plunk down a couple legal tender bills (or PayPal credit) to get the three companions.

But meh, I have way too many account-wide companions as it is. LOL
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    it's a promotion to encourage commerce. if it doesn't encourage you, there's no need to bash the promo. just walk away from it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I'm sorry, Melody, but when PWE continues to release bad promotions, they need to be called out on it. Every time they run a promotion I get that much closer to leaving the game. Driving supporters away from the game is not what the marketing team is supposed to do.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    it's a promotion to encourage commerce. if it doesn't encourage you, there's no need to bash the promo. just walk away from it.

Sadly, gotta agree with this.

Also, you have a misleading title (which you probably half-intended to incite mob mentality towards a hot-issue regarding cash shops in games)

You spend money for the 10300 zen. Focus on the 10300 zen, those are what you actually paid for. The companions and titles are just extra.
  • Options
    zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So saying a price is too high is bashing?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Sadly, gotta agree with this.

Also, you have a misleading title (which you probably half-intended to incite mob mentality towards a hot-issue regarding cash shops in games)

You spend money for the 10300 zen. Focus on the 10300 zen, those are what you actually paid for. The companions and titles are just extra.

10300 zen on items I don't need. At least with the other promotions, I could choose how to spend my zen.
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In a way, Melody is right. If it doesn't interest you, ignore it. Buuuut it’s still a pretty BoooOoOOOgus deal.

In all honesty, the Drow companion isn't worth that amount of expense, although if I'm facing a key heavy challenge in SCA, my lvl 20 guy is the way to go! Otherwise... its pretty meh. I’m glad I got it for transferring Zen IN, which I then could use for other things, but having to purchase things I’m not interested in (And at some serious high costs at that?) Nope, totes not worth it.

Also, unless they actually are offering the rank 30 versions (And just not saying so, which is hiiiighly doubtful) it's a nice slight-of-hand trick to getting used here. Sure, that's what your companions could look like, after spending 1.25m AD per companion per character on top of the Zen you spent to purchase it. -chuckles-

So I will be ignoring this promotion. It's just not worth the cost.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    shunterinoshunterino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I notice you have to buy 5 coalescent wards, which would be a total waste of money since they're half the price on the AH. No value for money here at all.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    shunterino wrote: »
    I notice you have to buy 5 coalescent wards, which would be a total waste of money since they're half the price on the AH. No value for money here at all.

And the blood rubies. Seriously...who buys blood rubies when rank 5/peridots/lesser marks are so much better value?
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    I've been trying to find a way to express my reaction to your post that would not be read as an attack, but it does kinda read like "Don't comment negatively on PWE promotions". I sincerely feel these kind of threads is the one place where the Community Mods should not be the ones to defend PWE, but rather let someone like pwebranflakes do the talking.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    $103 dollars is a lot , they would have probably done better if they ran a tiered spender with a reasonable amount as top tier.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    $103 dollars is a lot , they would have probably done better if they ran a tiered spender with a reasonable amount as top tier.

Yeah, the old charged promotions I was fine with and I put money in for them. They had a working system, but for some reason they decided to dump them for bad ideas.
  • Options
    ukspawnukspawn Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Don't see any genuine reason why your consumer base can not call out a bad deal. Yes we can just walk away with it but in a consumer driven world, it's our opinions that matter at the end of the day, albeit a few but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the end result in the long run.

Look at it this way, consider everything you get fulfilling this promotion in it's entirety at a cost of 10300 zen, now consider what you can obtain alternatively with 10300 zen, then on top of that consider the costs for upgrading a green > blue > purple. This isn't even taking in previous poster's comments on previous "similar" promotions"

I understand the promotion positive is account wide accessibility, however

1) Vanguard Packs, have been and probably will be, available through multiple FREE promotions. Some of these are probably still running, so we can disregard those "bonuses" straight away.
    2) The Faithful Initiate and Archmage Apprentice have been available in previous promotions for better deals and can still be obtained for much cheaper. I have them both across accounts and for practically nothing.
    3) The qualifying item that you're actually paying for, you'd be much better of, if you actually needed them, waiting until they were in the weekly sale, which most people do, so you can consider this as paying over the odd's, infact, you may as well buy them off the AH and it will be cheaper than this promotion. Especially if you play the AD/zen market, not much to it really, common sense.
    4) The titles. Do you think anyone is actually "paying" so they can obtain a title? Hmm, probably not.

So, the way I see it, you're paying 10300 for a green Drow companion, sure I don't speak for everyone but at this "later" stage in the game, I'm thinking many are looking at it this way.

1.25m AD to upgrade ONE, one of you're green companions to purple.
    1.25m AD = 3100 zen (roughly using ingame market)

So, let's say 13400 zen for a purple companion.

Now, go look at the current Zen shop ingame and see what you're 13400 zen can buy.

New starter or account wide considerate person? Again,

Take your 13400 zen buy yourself a (couple of) blue/purple companion that will benefit you as you need, not restricted to promotion, now buy an account wide mount. If you need wards, wait till they are on sale and buy them reduced or obtain elsewhere cheaper.

13400 zen will buy you 16 green companions. That's not even factoring in sales.

The consumer, the player has a right to point out a bogus deal. This is a terrible deal, as it's being stated.
  • Options
    fusionawesomefusionawesome Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like these promotions (buy something, get something extra). But what there asking us to buy is kind of throwing away money. The coalescent wards are twice as expensive on the zen market and the ruby's are far from efficient for refining. So in this promotion your essentially buying the companions not getting something extra. So how badly do you want the companions? I'm letting this promotion go.
  • Options
    vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Does anyone actually know which titles? Before I waste Zen on Titles that I already have ^^
    signature-lili.png
  • Options
    saini50990saini50990 Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    this is the worst deal i have ever seen in neverwinter.
    nobody buys those freaking expensive coal wards, 1000zen for 1 coal thats like 10$, the only 1 who ever buys that are the ones who dont know the price of coal in AH. for 1000zen u can get 2 coal wards by converting.
    so ridiculous.
    also 1 more thing to add ,1 coal ward we can get for 200 trade bars , so if u say the price of zen alloted to the item is right and we should not tell about bad deal
    than 5x preservation ward obtained from 200 trade bars , thats so <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ridiculous , if u say ur deal r just fine than make it fair here too and make 200 trade bars = 100x preservation wards.
    in nutshell there is not a single good deal i see here.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Let me say this. I like the idea and format of the promotion. I think the items they chose are extremely overpriced in the Zen shop. The ratio of RP:AD (Zen) that the Blood Rubies provide is way out of line of the current market price (which is about 1:1 RP:Zen), and the Coalescent Wards about about twice the current market price in game.

Plus, the three companions being offered aren't unique. I already have two of them, and had I bugged one of our guildmates who lives in Poland, I could've had the third...all for way less than the $103 PWE is asking us to plop down.

And I don't think there is any reason to silence the feedback on this one. My RL job is sales. When my company runs promotions, it's designed to increase sales. If we get immediate feedback from our customers that the promotion isn't very appealing, it's a strong signal to us that we need to refine it, or change it for next time. We don't go back to those customers who complained and tell them to buy it or shut up. That's just not good for business.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    vverg wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know which titles? Before I waste Zen on Titles that I already have ^^

They updated it to include the titles. Leyline Lorekeeper for today's promotion and Dread Ringer for tomorrow.
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Until I get some compensation for the last promotion debacle, I'm not participating in any promotion, especially not this one.

Yeah, yeah I know I didn't loose anything but the whole incidents still leaves me with a feeling of having been cheated.

It's a weird strategy to try to incite past disgruntle customer with such a promotion, all the items required for these companions are probably the worst sellers in the store, feels like they just move them to a shelf near the cash register with a nice display saying: Buy one get a free...
  • Options
    eugenesyseugenesys Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm just gonna walk away from this promo

Given what has happened the entire week, i don't wanna login when i happen to have the time to play, only to be greeted by "Server Instability Issues" and miss out on the end promo..
  • Options
    eugenesyseugenesys Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    djarkaan wrote: »
    Until I get some compensation for the last promotion debacle, I'm not participating in any promotion, especially not this one.

Yeah, yeah I know I didn't loose anything but the whole incidents still leaves me with a feeling of having been cheated.

It's a weird strategy to try to incite past disgruntle customer with such a promotion, all the items required for these companions are probably the worst sellers in the store, feels like they just move them to a shelf near the cash register with a nice display saying: Buy one get a free...

What happened during the last promo
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    vverg wrote: »

Dread Ringer and Leyline Lorekeeper, no title to complete all days.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    eugenesys wrote: »
    What happened during the last promo

The item received became unbound, due to a patch, and poeple were giving them away for free at some point.
  • Options
    rittzbitzrittzbitz Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Psyche, I'll totes get banned.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Buy 5 coal wards from zen store? Nice try.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
This discussion has been closed.