test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Leaver Penalty Problem... (Video Below)

geministrikegeministrike Member Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Good Day Fellow Players and Mods,

Recently I've had a PvP match where the 2 players gone offline and never came back. So we were 3 vs 5 from the beginning, we were loosing bad, It had been more than 6 minutes and I decieded to leave the match seeing there is no way around it and nothing we could do... And got the leaver penalty. Make sure to check out the video below! As far as I know the following scenarios make you get the leaver penalty >>>

"You will be penalized for leaving PvP matches except in the following cases:

2 minutes have gone by and there are 3 or fewer players left on your team.
The match is over.
If you attempt to leave your party during a time that you can be penalized, you will be presented with a confirmation window that tells you how long you will be penalized for. If you cancel your attempt to leave, you will remain in the match and not be penalized. If you accept the penalty, then you will be removed from the match and incur the penalty."

Here is the video I recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zLt5RjCP8

So my question is; Will I get the penalty if I leave in a situation in which players in my team goes offline, leaving us down to 3 versus 5, all handicapped in an unfair fight? How fair is that? What is my fault? Why do I have to waste my time in a situation like this? There is no logic to this leaver penalty thing. Please share your ideas guys beacase I'm really frustrated with what this game and pvp have become...
Post edited by geministrike on

Comments

• Options
    alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Those people are technically still in the party, right? They don't incur the penalty so if you leave then you probably will. The only thing to do is test it. Just one leaver penalty in the name of learning won't kill anyone.

As for the people who deliberately log off, being offline for more than three minutes should incur the leaver penalty. It's unfair to the people with dodgy connections, but the current situation is unfair to those of us without them. Given that being fair to the people with dodgy connections is resulting in the penalty as a whole being rendered moot, I think it's time to start penalizing people for logging off.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    But it is very unfair. The game is actually forcing me to play in handicapped situations such as this one... They should either fix this issue or revoke this penalty system. Because this is not the first time the same thing happened to me. I just got sick and tired of this and decided to record this time.
  • Options
    spookholiospookholio Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think it'd be great if the current system were to allow people who are patiently waiting in queue to join in and fill the empty spots.

I'd rather join a struggling team mid-fight than continue to wait for queue.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    People that get dc'ed in pvp for more than let's say 3 mins should get kicked out of the party, and a replacement should be found. I don't get why people can't join mid match.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Mate, those two didn't disconnect. At the 2nd minute they went offline on purpose after getting dominated by the opponent team and never came back. The game may give a chance to people to get back in, but these people never did. They were offline flat 5 mins, leaving us like that. So yes it was unfair. I think DC'd/Offline ones should have only a minute to get back in the game otherwise they should be get kicked. The game keeps them on our team till the match ends and if we leave we get a leaver penalty. This is very unfair and frustrating.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Once in a pvp match one of our members dc'ed during the first 30 seconds, and never came back in the whole match. He was never removed from the party either.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    As for giving someone 1 minute to get back.. That's debatable. Personally I'd say that's too short.

Yes, it really is, if their machine crashed hard. By the time you have gone through the POST of the BIOS, and then booted Windows, and got back into the launcher, into the game, chosen character etc., you could easily be over a minute. Easily.

Heck, my machine is fairly clear of cruft, doesn't run much on boot, and boots from a fast SSD. However, even then, I wouldn't always expect to be back in under a minute- especially on days when login is a bit slow and ornery.
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Lets face it pvp is pretty ****ed right now. In fact I would say its in worse shape now than before. Im not sure if cryptic is trying to kill pvp or not. All I know is this keeps up it will die.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I have to say there's something I like about teh new ELO system. before it I could be stomped by premade teams with high GS 10-15 times in a row, actually it was pretty common. now If I loose around 3-4 matches then I get matched against an easier team and usually end up winning a couple of matches untill I get matched again with people with vorpals and soulforge. So know I KNOW that I'm bound to win SOME matches, before it wasn't.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No elitist but I seriously hate when I have 8-9K GS people in my team... I mean why queue for PVP if you're gonna be a drag :/

This failed system doesn't help either. 8-9K GS people should be placed with OTHER 8-9K GS people. Not with people who have 12K+

I'm an absolute PVP lover (I don't do PVE at all, drop rates are too garbage to even bother). But this is sort of turning off from PVP, and the game... Since PVP = The game for me. I don't care about dungeons. Hopefully IceWind dale changes that ! Can't wait for it.
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Party leaders can remove disconnected people from the team in PVP, and they should, because if you do it early enough they can be replaced. Next time ask whoever is the party leader to kick those 2 out of the team when it is clear they are not coming back, then you should be ok to leave without getting the penalty.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the way i understand the new policy, if you get disconnected, you still have an opportunity to return to the match before its over to avoid the penalty. since your two party members were disconnected and you left the party, you were the first person to "leave" so you were dinged for the penalty.

had you just lost the match, camped in the spawn area, whatever, then you wouldn't have been penalized.

can this be abused? well... technically, i can pull the plug on my router and disconnect from the match but unless i return to it, i'll be penalized. when people leave matches, it causes problems for everyone playing. lopsided matches don't feel balanced and that's the whole point of tenacity, matchmaking and the leaver penalty. when you enter into a pvp match, you should be committed to the match and that's the whole point of the leaver penalty. but there will always be rage quitters and people willing to accept the penalty for whatever reason... and sometimes real life stuff does pull people offline.

with the current system in place, what you experienced is working as intended.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Are you seriously calling this "working as intended."? My god I wonder if the mods are paying attention to the complaints about the PvP system. I shouldn't be able to get a leaver penalty if 2 people are going off and leaving us against only 3 against 5... You are basicly saying even if your teammates goes offline and never comes back, you have to stay in the arena and fight against 5 people with your remaning teammates and it doesn't matter if it's fair or not, you just have to stay inside. Apperantly I will be punished if I don't want to continiue an unfair fight. That is exactly what it is. People will get penalty for not playing unfair fights or will have to waste their time till the match ends. Are you expecting "you should be committed to the match" from us in these situations? I am sorry but it doesn't work that way. You are talking about "new match making system" there and assuming that it is now fair but you are wrong and to prove it wrong I will now upload an another video in which I ended up in Lv 60 pvp with 9k, 8k, 10k and 11k gs people against a 13k+ to 16k team and get crushed. You will see how awesome the "matchmaking" works as intended. I don't know what the gms think about the systems they brought in but in reality it is far different from what they assume in game.
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    the way i understand the new policy, if you get disconnected, you still have an opportunity to return to the match before its over to avoid the penalty. since your two party members were disconnected and you left the party, you were the first person to "leave" so you were dinged for the penalty.

had you just lost the match, camped in the spawn area, whatever, then you wouldn't have been penalized.

can this be abused? well... technically, i can pull the plug on my router and disconnect from the match but unless i return to it, i'll be penalized. when people leave matches, it causes problems for everyone playing. lopsided matches don't feel balanced and that's the whole point of tenacity, matchmaking and the leaver penalty. when you enter into a pvp match, you should be committed to the match and that's the whole point of the leaver penalty. but there will always be rage quitters and people willing to accept the penalty for whatever reason... and sometimes real life stuff does pull people offline.

with the current system in place, what you experienced is working as intended.

Wouldn't surprise me if their thought process was... "Force disconnect, wait a little bit, come back and get no penalty because they didn't leave the match and/or people like the OP get frustrated and quit the match and get hit with the penalty instead".

If only there were some other ideas floating around about how to fix this completely and not have to use penalties to do it! Hmmmmm
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Are you seriously calling this "working as intended."?

mechanics wise, yes. is it perfect? no. can it be perfect? when you have so many different controlling factors involved, no... it can't be perfect. there is no way that you can literally force ten people to stick to a pvp match from beginning to end. as the matchmaking system gains more information about your rating and where to place you, you may be matched up against some tough contenders. you may be matched up against tough contenders based on the number of people queued or how many people are solo-pugging vs being in premade groups. is it perfect? no. can it be improved? i'm sure the devs are watching it closely and working on making it the best that it can be.
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    yes this is working as intended. did a couple of idiots find a way to bypass the leaver penalty to do something else? yes

did you have to quit the match entirely? no

When you quit the match there were still 5 people on your team. Regardless of the fact if they were in game or not your team size was 5 which means that you are the first person who quit.

All you had to do is wait 10 minutes at most (at 1 tick per second for each point) for the match to be over and you wouldn't have got queue banned for the 30 minutes.

Sure it is annoying to have people leave or afk during a match but its not the end of the world. wait the few minutes and it will be over quickly.
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    mechanics wise, yes. is it perfect? no. can it be perfect? when you have so many different controlling factors involved, no... it can't be perfect. there is no way that you can literally force ten people to stick to a pvp match from beginning to end. as the matchmaking system gains more information about your rating and where to place you, you may be matched up against some tough contenders. you may be matched up against tough contenders based on the number of people queued or how many people are solo-pugging vs being in premade groups. is it perfect? no. can it be improved? i'm sure the devs are watching it closely and working on making it the best that it can be.

No, you can not force people to stick it out in a PvP match, so why bother penalizing people who don't stick around (and the ones they impact at the same time)?

Refresher:

Remove the penalty for leaving.

Remove all Glory rewards from PvP dailies.

Add the following scoring measures to PvP, so that they get taken into account when you are on the losing team

1. Points for damage delt
    2. Points for damage absorbed
    3. Points for fighting on point
    4. Insert other measures here (that show people were actively participating in the match)
    5. Adjust score for GS differentials (if you fail against a team with a much higher GS than you, your reward should be increased compared to failing against a similarly geared team)
    6. Adjust for uneven team numbers. If someone leaves and you end up 4-5 or 3-5, you get more Glory at the end.
    7. No base minimum for Glory.

Now, you have a system that refuses to award you for simply hanging out in a match. It will not reward you if you don't participate. It will not penalize you for leaving. It WILL award you more Glory for fighting. It WILL give you more Glory for continuing to fight despite uneven teams. It WILL encourage people to play through, despite the odds.

So long as a reasonable amount of Glory is rewarded in a loss, this would fix the majority of the issues.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    if they cant stick it out in a match than they should not be queuing in the first place.

The leaver penalty is the not the problem. its the players themselves that are leaving or going afk.

Removing the glory rewards does nothing but hurt casual pvp players like myself.

I enjoy the pvp but i would rather pve with my guild most of the time. Taking away the dailies removes the chance of me ever getting any pvp gear in a normal time frame.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    twstdecho: I like that idea, I don't think the devs woudln't have thought of that though. So I'm guessing they don't know how to actually implement the measures to know who actively participated?
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    akemnos wrote: »
    if they cant stick it out in a match than they should not be queuing in the first place.

The leaver penalty is the not the problem. its the players themselves that are leaving or going afk.

Removing the glory rewards does nothing but hurt casual pvp players like myself.

I enjoy the pvp but i would rather pve with my guild most of the time. Taking away the dailies removes the chance of me ever getting any pvp gear in a normal time frame.

If you're responding directly to my idea, please keep in mind that removing the Glory reward from the daily quests is only one small portion of the suggested change I outlined. You aren't removing that reward from the game, you are shifting it to matches themselves and increasing the overall Glory gained from playing. By disassociating that reward from the daily itself, and linking it to activity in matches, you stop people from starting a match, grabbing minimal points and camping, because that gets them next to nothing. However, playing PvP matches in general will earn you the same or more Glory than currently available through Daily quests.
  • Options
    slushlikewindslushlikewind Member Posts: 272 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    well the dev clearly don't PVP

It is not the numbers that matters, it is the individual skill that matters, when your team got out matched you will lose a 6 v 5.

Which in the current match making all you have is random pugs so when you end up in the bad team there is nothing you could do to win, any effort would pretty much prolong the game length with no productive result aka you ain't winning.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    so if the team is that bad wait the 5 minutes for the match to end and then requeue hoping for a better team. The best part about this is since your team was so terrible you now have a worse ELO rating and will be matched up against worse opposition.

Quitting the match and then coming to the forum and complaining that you cant enter a queue because you did so is not going to win you any sympathy with anyone.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Mate, I don't complain about not being able to enter any queue. I was guessing I would get that penalty and I wanted to do it anyways so people could see something is not working well as promised.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    its working exactly as promised. you were the first person to leave the group, therefore you got the queue ban. The other two members were still part of the team. What is not working about this feature?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I'm not saying it's not working, I'm saying it is not working properly so that it should be fixed or improved. You can see clearly that those two left us handicapped therefore they should have autokick/penalty or we shouldn't have penalty. Cause the way the system it is, is not working in the favour of players and make it unfair.