test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ant-Monster • Just in case you guys didn't know (GFs).

lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Militia Barracks
• Indomitable Strength (IS) is no longer a MUST HAVE daily because of the Iron Vanguard GWF, and the "Perma Stealth Rogue." I HIGHLY recommend you switch I.S. for Supremacy of Steel (S.o.S.), and USE a Plague Fire (P.F.)!! So what does that mean? It means when fighting GWFs or TRs while SoS active, they will receive EXTRA damage because they're debuffed. Switch Bull Charge for Griffin's Wrath for burst damage when fighting these 2 classes! SoS only last so long, and you don't waste time chasing people down after hitting them with a bull charge (especially while fighting a TR and they're invisible), plus they won't stay prone as long as they used too =/... So wat'chu do is MARK (debuff), Tide of Iron (debuff), Frontline, Griffin's Wrath, Lunging Strike.

• Keep Villan's Menace for your second Daily when fighting ANNOYING CWs and HRs -.-....... Although SoS works even BETTER on them because they're squishy, it's not worth it because you can still be controlled and while controlled that's precious time being wasted for SoS.

• As a GF, your biggest threat is the CW. ALWAYS kill the CW first. My personal priority list goes like this CW > TR > HR/DC > GWF > GF. However, this can vary based on the situation. Make sure you force the CW to waste his dodges before blowing your powers. The best way to do this is by using Threatening Rush to close the gap, and then immediately BLOCK after. This will add pressure to the CW, and he will start teleporting after wasting his powers on your shield.

• Vorpal is nice in all, but with the recent nerfs I rather increase my base damage than my spike damage (crits). For example, without a PF, the first hit of cleave on a GWF hits 300-400's... With PF I can hit 800-900's. Although I have a 21% crit chance on my GF, that's still not enough for it to be worth it for me.

(I will finish this later. I just wanted to spread the word that SoS stacks PF, and works REALLY well with Life Steal).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What are your thoughts on Terror in place of PF? I understand that PF is a debuff and a dot, so Terror may not suit this strategy as well, but as a debuff enchant is it a lot more readily available.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xelliz wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on Terror in place of PF? I understand that PF is a debuff and a dot, so Terror may not suit this strategy as well, but as a debuff enchant is it a lot more readily available.

The terror is a decent debuff IMO. It's instant, so you don't have wait for stacks. However I like the DoT from the PF for knocking people off mounts, and the debuff is larger allowing me to do more damage when possible.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've been using bronzewood (perfect) and i find it works very well, despite not applying to the damage of the encounter that applies it, you get a nice 16% boost for 10 seconds. And it's cooldown is tied to the target not yourself (so when you switch target you will immediately apply it to them too).

But I think its better to just ignore villians menace and use SoS and indomitable, becuase indomitable's prone/throw is still very useful. As you said before that SoS is great vs wizards too, it ticks off their dots.

And i think CW/HRs are the top priority, over rogue, can't let those pesky HR's spam aimed shot, though if i see someone else attacking them i will choose something else.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    I've been using bronzewood (perfect) and i find it works very well, despite not applying to the damage of the encounter that applies it, you get a nice 16% boost for 10 seconds. And it's cooldown is tied to the target not yourself (so when you switch target you will immediately apply it to them too).

Tangentially, it seems to work pretty nicely in PvE for a GWF rotation that uses a leading encounter prior to their IBS.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited March 2014
    I personally I'm not a fan of Bronzewood. I feel like it doesn't last long enough lol.
  • firstookamikazefirstookamikaze Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2014
    SoS VS **** : trololol they kill themself when they hit me.

SoS VS "fine" players : wtf i lose my daily because they kite me and when SoS end, they r*pe me.

---> Find another argument for GF able to win VS GWF/HR etc...
  • facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited March 2014
    Bronzewood is best enchant for GF currently

...Since vorpal is purely not worth it cuz of the tenacity and lets be real GF cant go more then 22% critical chance
    ...GPF stacks do not last long enough for a GF to manage and do his combo.In other words the gap between encounter cooldowns and stack-last-time is too big so you do not use this enchant on its full potential in PvP.

The debuff that Bronzewood apply is party-wide so this means not only you can benefit from it.It gives u enough time ( about 8 seconds per target ) to do your full combo rotation + daily.Its a constant dmg buff which in the long run gives your class and your teammates higher dps performance.Also it applies directly to the target's DR...not like GPF who debuffs only defense, so if your target has low defense the enchants becomes almost worthless.

^All this is in concern about PvP
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Bronzewood is best enchant for GF currently

...Since vorpal is purely not worth it cuz of the tenacity and lets be real GF cant go more then 22% critical chance
    ...GPF stacks do not last long enough for a GF to manage and do his combo.In other words the gap between encounter cooldowns and stack-last-time is too big so you do not use this enchant on its full potential in PvP.

The debuff that Bronzewood apply is party-wide so this means not only you can benefit from it.It gives u enough time ( about 8 seconds per target ) to do your full combo rotation + daily.Its a constant dmg buff which in the long run gives your class and your teammates higher dps performance.Also it applies directly to the target's DR...not like GPF who debuffs only defense, so if your target has low defense the enchants becomes almost worthless.

^All this is in concern about PvP

Very interesting. I wasn't aware that Bronzewood debuffed your target for the whole party. I thought it was just the GF that benefited from it, hence I stuck with PF as I reasoned it was benefiting the party as well as myself.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • synozeersynozeer Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    Very interesting. I wasn't aware that Bronzewood debuffed your target for the whole party. I thought it was just the GF that benefited from it, hence I stuck with PF as I reasoned it was benefiting the party as well as myself.

I'm pretty sure Bronzewood only applies for the wielder. I think we did tests on it a while back. It also says "YOUR at-will and encounter powers ignore 16%..." implying it only affects you.
    Guild: Chocolate Stand | Main: Hzarn (GF)/Danteel (HR) | Watch PvP Videos
  • snappa0126snappa0126 Member Posts: 90
    edited March 2014
    I agree with your post 100%. It does suck that experienced players know the SoS animation and know when to back off so it becomes useless. I do love watching GWF's and TR's destroy themselves when I use it, especially in Gauntlgrym when I am being gang <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> by 10+ people and 5 die.

Then it's a huge waste of a daily. SoS needs to be reworked to give us healing if we aren't attacked when we use it...or something of that order so it becomes useful at the high end of pvp.
    HAMSTER, level 60 GF, "Bloodthirsty" since Mod 2
    Anarchist, level 60 CW
    Arsenic,
    level 60 TR
    Pluck Yew, level 60 HR
    Therapissed,
    level 60 DC
  • facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited March 2014
    synozeer wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Bronzewood only applies for the wielder. I think we did tests on it a while back. It also says "YOUR at-will and encounter powers ignore 16%..." implying it only affects you.

We test that aswell recently before i started using it and the thing we noticed was the opposite of what you are saying.

Its pretty hard to read the combat log and make conclusions from that.

But right now its really easy with the preview server ...your teammates can see the debuff icon over your target.
  • aubossauboss Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How the hell do you delete a post?
    edited March 2014
    snappa0126 wrote: »
    I agree with your post 100%. It does suck that experienced players know the SoS animation and know when to back off so it becomes useless. I do love watching GWF's and TR's destroy themselves when I use it, especially in Gauntlgrym when I am being gang <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> by 10+ people and 5 die.

Then it's a huge waste of a daily. SoS needs to be reworked to give us healing if we aren't attacked when we use it...or something of that order so it becomes useful at the high end of pvp.

SoS can heal you a lot if stack Life Steal.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    snappa0126 wrote: »

SoS doesn't currently do enough damage to always dissuade my IV sent from continuing to smack you. Seems to depend on the GF, but I tend to test it out with an at will rotation, if it hurts me too much...kiting time.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • firstookamikazefirstookamikaze Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2014
    With right build, SoS turn you into god mode with massiveself heal and awesome dammages... But still weak VS cc i agree
    edited April 2014
    calous78 wrote: »
    I've done a lot of testing as well. CW running act got the 16%. This was a while ago but since tenacity I think.

Right now there is simply NO competition for a PBW in PvP unless you're running some silly gimmicky build like that lifesteal/SOS nonsense, which is going to gimp you in most situations.

I am also notoriously stubborn and close minded so I could be wrong, but Face agrees so that's a good sign :)

What's the cool down for Bronzewood?
  • havvkyhavvky Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Bronzewood 20 seconds cooldown for every target (has to be applied using encounter power, doesn't affect the encounter power that applied it)
    Debuff lasts for 10 seconds.
    edited April 2014
    Hmm... Are there diminishing returns on action point gain from stacking recovery?
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Hmm... Are there diminishing returns on action point gain from stacking recovery?

Of course.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/3dqpvhuavj
    edited April 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »

The large bold numbers on the left are the percentages to stop at?
  • havvkyhavvky Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not sure what you mean, recovery is the purple line, you can see the values corresponding to how much %.
    2k recovery 19.8%
    3k recovrey 22.19%
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    The large bold numbers on the left are the percentages to stop at?

No, there's not really a set place to stop- it's a judgement call.

The way it works is that at lower amounts, you get a bigger percentage increase per point of recovery. That's when the graph is steep. Later on, as amount of recovery stat increases, the line is less steep, meaning that each point of recovery gets you less recharge increase. It it becomes worse "value".

Essentially, the judgement call you have to make is how much you want recovery, as it becomes worse and worse value. Obviously, every time you gem for recovery, you could be gemming for something else too- so it's a trade-off, the stats balancing puzzle that you're used to.

Some builds of some classes might want a certain amount to make a particular rotation possible etc., and sometimes people just decide in pure value terms. I would personally say that unless you have a specific hard aim in mind for a certain rotation, that it's not worth pushing it past 2500-3000 or so. It's really crummy value after that.

Other people wouldn't agree.

Don't worry too much about the consensus on softcaps though, sometimes it's worth pushing it a bit to find interesting setups- I have done that on my GWF before with lifesteal. I got a very ill-informed lecture from a guildie about how I was wrong and the universe would end because I had more than 1500. Ignoring him made my gear at the time viable in VT, until I could get the upgrades I wanted.

TL;DR- Stop at 2500, unless there's a specific stupid trick you are trying out, which needs more :)
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just know that CWs, who are the most Recovery-dependent class in the game, rarely have recovery higher than around 3000. So I can't imagine a GF or GWF needing Recovery higher than in the 2k-range.
  • snappa0126snappa0126 Member Posts: 90
    edited April 2014
    • Indomitable Strength (IS) is no longer a MUST HAVE daily because of the Iron Vanguard GWF, and the "Perma Stealth Rogue." I HIGHLY recommend you switch I.S. for Supremacy of Steel (S.o.S.), and USE a Plague Fire (P.F.)!! So what does that mean? It means when fighting GWFs or TRs while SoS active, they will receive EXTRA damage because they're debuffed. Switch Bull Charge for Griffin's Wrath for burst damage when fighting these 2 classes! SoS only last so long, and you don't waste time chasing people down after hitting them with a bull charge (especially while fighting a TR and they're invisible), plus they won't stay prone as long as they used too =/... So wat'chu do is MARK (debuff), Tide of Iron (debuff), Frontline, Griffin's Wrath, Lunging Strike.

• Keep Villan's Menace for your second Daily when fighting ANNOYING CWs and HRs -.-....... Although SoS works even BETTER on them because they're squishy, it's not worth it because you can still be controlled and while controlled that's precious time being wasted for SoS.

• As a GF, your biggest threat is the CW. ALWAYS kill the CW first. My personal priority list goes like this CW > TR > HR/DC > GWF > GF. However, this can vary based on the situation. Make sure you force the CW to waste his dodges before blowing your powers. The best way to do this is by using Threatening Rush to close the gap, and then immediately BLOCK after. This will add pressure to the CW, and he will start teleporting after wasting his powers on your shield.

• Vorpal is nice in all, but with the recent nerfs I rather increase my base damage than my spike damage (crits). For example, without a PF, the first hit of cleave on a GWF hits 300-400's... With PF I can hit 800-900's. Although I have a 21% crit chance on my GF, that's still not enough for it to be worth it for me.

(I will finish this later. I just wanted to spread the word that SoS stacks PF, and works REALLY well with Life Steal).

Well said, I agree with you on almost everything
    HAMSTER, level 60 GF, "Bloodthirsty" since Mod 2
    Anarchist, level 60 CW
    Arsenic,
    level 60 TR
    Pluck Yew, level 60 HR
    Therapissed,
    level 60 DC