test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sharandar Boons Replaced in Celestial Shop

alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So it has come to light that one of the things happening in Module 3 is that Celestial Coin #6 - the Cache of Sharandar Treasures - is being replaced with a Dread Ring version that gives Thayan Scrolls instead of Feywild Sparks.

Let me just say: Replacing Sharandar Treasures with Thayan Treasures is bad. The Sharandar boon grind really really sucks.

To use the language that the devs keep using: Trying to complete the Sharandar Boon achievements feels extremely slow and grindy, especially compared to how straightforward the Dread Ring boons are. Getting those extra 30 sparks every six days helps a lot.

Implementing Thayan Scrolls at Day #4 instead of replacing Feywild Sparks - or even giving Day #6 a choice of reward between sparks/scrolls - is a much better idea.

If Cryptic isn't willing to do that, then at least significantly reduce the costs for Sharandar Boons 3-5.
Post edited by alvadimarco on

Comments

• pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree.

We gotta keep in mind that each new char somebody rolls gotta go through all 3 campaigns of boons.

Will be a mind-numbing experience.
  • xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    yeah I dont see a reason to not offer Both as a choice.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes, please offer both.

If you can't then offer the Sparks as Dread Ring campaign is *somewhat* less mind-numbingly boring.

P.s. All these boons grinds are going to do is put newer players off staying...
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is one really good argument for leaving the Sharandar cache alone. Once you have gotten all the boons, there is still a purpose to getting more sparks - use them too get more Fay blessing enchants.

There is nothing comparable on the Dread ring side, and for this reason alone, the sharandar treasure cache is much, much better than the Dread ring one.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Just offer both.

What is the big problem cryptic?
  • wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    The fact that it is better for players is not a good argument for removing it. That's absurd. That the Dread Ring version will probably be less used is because the Dread Ring campaign is significantly faster and less grindy. Most players would probably prefer to shorten the time for the more tedious content.

That they can also be used for Fey Blessing enchants? Fine. Not necessarily the most profitable way to spend time anyway. And using them for that purpose bars you from using the points for a chance at a Coalescent Ward.

I think you misread what he was saying. The fact that it's better for players is a good argument for leaving it alone, as in not removing it, as in leaving it where it is, as in... not removing it. :P That's what he was saying.

Also, I agree, why not offer both? If people wanna sacrifice their chance at a coalescent ward in exchange for obtaining boons more quickly, that's their choice. My only concern is it'll cause the price of coalescent wards to go up. Frankly that's good news for Cryptic though.
  • alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The price of Coalescent Wards can't rise much higher. At ~200k ea they're approaching the same cost as Greater Bags of Holding, which cost the same price in Zen and can only be purchased with Zen. The fact that Trade Bars can still be used to buy Coalescents will continue to exert downward force on their AD price, as well. This, however, is outside the scope of the intended topic.

If you know anyone who uses the Sharandar Treasures Cache or has any useful opinion on the matter and the ability to express it constructively, send them to this thread. The more constructive feedback we can give Cryptic on the matter, the better our chances of them saying "due to player feedback, we've decided to change what we're doing."

It does happen, once in a while.
  • venerable4bedevenerable4bede Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sharandar takes way too long to get through as it is, especially for the benefit it gives. If you take away the caches it will make that area even more tedious. I think the Dread Ring boon progression was about right (and really doesn't need that many alternate ways). Please keep the cache in.

Chert Yeastbottom
    The price of Coalescent Wards can't rise much higher. At ~200k ea they're approaching the same cost as Greater Bags of Holding, which cost the same price in Zen and can only be purchased with Zen. The fact that Trade Bars can still be used to buy Coalescents will continue to exert downward force on their AD price, as well. This, however, is outside the scope of the intended topic.

If you know anyone who uses the Sharandar Treasures Cache or has any useful opinion on the matter and the ability to express it constructively, send them to this thread. The more constructive feedback we can give Cryptic on the matter, the better our chances of them saying "due to player feedback, we've decided to change what we're doing."

It does happen, once in a while.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I actually speculated that they'd do something like this with each new campaign, back when the Sharandar cache was first introduced and before anyone had a good sense of what the Dread Ring boon grind would be like.

I personally haven't used this option for shortening my campaign grind, as I have come to view Sharandar as an as-long-as-it-takes project rather than something to be sped through.

But with the vast improvements made to campaign grinding overall, keeping a certain amount of timewalling in place without making it seem neverending, the Dread Ring campaign is much less painful to get through than Sharandar, even without adding accelerants. Replacing the aid for the excruciatingly long grindy campaign with one geared towards the briefer campaign isn't helpful, since all characters are still going to be expected to complete both existing campaigns, as well as future ones. If a Dread treasure cache is to be implemented, then it should be an addition rather than a replacement.

Also, I assume the treasure caches have been character-bound, but I wonder what kind of reception there would be to making something similar that was account-bound and available for Ardent Coins. Maybe with a smaller amount of campaign trinkets per purchase to balance it.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • daaksanirdaaksanir Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This change would <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of any potential new players. I would do nothing to me, except should a new class come out, in which case it would <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of all players that choose to play that new class .... changing this would be a terrible game design. Adding options would be wise.
  • kuyabaykuyabay Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2014
    Another vote for both. Sharandar is by far the worse grind of the two. It makes no sense to change it to Dread only when that one can be completed in half the time of the Sharandar one. Here's another idea, why not make the caches account bound, that way those of us who have been through Sharandar multiple times can send it to an alt and not have to go through another mind numbing experience that is the daily boon grind.

I'm sorry to those who say that you need to do the dailies to learn your class. Come on, really?
  • atraleosatraleos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Since all I'm seeing is complaining and no one appears to have checked the contents of the dread ring treasure... I'll leave this here:

[Cache of Dread Ring Treasures]
    This pack contains the following:
    30 Thayan Scroll
    3 Thayan Cipher

Considering they are offering an artifact if you run alts to 60, this could effectively cut the time to get to the 3rd boon in dread ring to 1 week or less (depending on number of times you invoke while leveling).

Yes losing the 30 sparks sucks. However, you can always buy the sharandar relic on AH to get those. There wasn't a way to get additional ciphers previously.
  • sylvialynnsylvialynn Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We don't need additional scrolls and ciphers as bad as we need sparks. I ran my ranger through both campaigns at the same time. Finished Dread Ring without using any lockbox help. Still working on last Sharandar boon with the cache help. No where near enough sparks to finish. Sharandar is the slower one and needs the boost, not Dread Ring.
  • limeye3limeye3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101
    edited March 2014
    Boons should be account unlocked, not character.
    The end...
  • graalx3graalx3 Member Posts: 232
    edited March 2014
    We have changed the 6 day Celestial coin item to a Chest of Campaign Treasures. Opening this will chest give you the choice between a Cache of Sharandar Treasures and a Cache of Dread Ring Treasures.
    edited March 2014
    graalx3 wrote: »
    We have changed the 6 day Celestial coin item to a Chest of Campaign Treasures. Opening this will chest give you the choice between a Cache of Sharandar Treasures and a Cache of Dread Ring Treasures.

Wonderful, thanks!
    edited March 2014

As you are already looking at this thread could you please bear in mind this point:
    pers3phone wrote: »
    I agree.

We gotta keep in mind that each new char somebody rolls gotta go through all 3 campaigns of boons.

Will be a mind-numbing experience.

This is very likely to be extremely off-putting to new players and may even prevent them from bothering to even start playing if the find out how much boon grinding is required. Let alone the fact that Black Ice weaponry required continual grinding there too :(
  • dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited March 2014

FTW

/10char
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Thank you. Guys, this is exactly why things go up on the preview server first, and why it's so critical that people actually give constructive feedback and not just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and moan.

Thanks for listening, and I'm sure everyone here appreciates the adjustment!
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What was the consideration behind making Cache of Dread Ring Treasures gives Thayan Scrolls instead of Thayan Ciphers?

For Sharandar campaign, players have two alternative ways to acquire Feywild Sparks to progress campaign faster; while Dread Ring campaign provides no alternative way to acquire Thayan Chiphers so players are unable to progress campaign faster.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ian, if they haven't changed the reward table for the treasure cache, selecting Dread would grant a mixture of Ciphers and Scrolls.

I have sufficient coins that I'd be able to check it out on an imported character if nobody beats me to it.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ian, if they haven't changed the reward table for the treasure cache, selecting Dread would grant a mixture of Ciphers and Scrolls.

I have sufficient coins that I'd be able to check it out on an imported character if nobody beats me to it.
    That is a good news. :)
    edited March 2014

Absolutely spectacular. Thanks.
  • krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Excellent decision!! Thank you very much.
  • instantjaksinstantjaks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited March 2014
    Cache has to stay! Im only half way through sharandar and im almost at the edge of madness..!
    edited March 2014
    Cache has to stay! Im only half way through sharandar and im almost at the edge of madness..!

You don't actually read threads before replying, do you?