test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fix to Knight Captain Set

brcubbrcub Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited March 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Knight Captain Set needs to be fixed.

This isn't something new. It has been done in the past. Almost all of the compelling arguments regarding the "fix" to Stalwart Bulwark set are valid on this case as well.

Some of Cryptic arguments:
"We wanted to rework the set, making it comparable to other T<x>"
"Guardian fighter were made to be a Tank class"
"The set was used by 90% of GF and we wanted different kind of build"
"That set was too powerfull, even more than <Shar or DR set>"
"We will introduce a new set and want people to work for it"

That change was also condoned by some particularly verbal Protector GFs and I see no reason why shouldn't they approve this one as they felt GFs needed more protection oriented gear.

So the set bonus could be changed to something like the GF reduces damage taken by any party member by 20% and take half of that damage instead. While buffing is something that delves into the realm of Nature HRs, this one is very compatible with the Protection GF role and is very useful allowing for other party members to act more recklessly. I believe it suits well those Protection GFs that particularly feels the strength of party damage reduction powers like knight's valor and knight's challenge are the reason some GFs like them perform exceptionally well and really can contribute to a party.

Another option for the set bonus would be a buff that redirects combat damage bonus suffered by party members to the GFs reflecting the class design feature of being exceptional at taking powerful thrusts from behind.
Post edited by brcub on

Comments

• loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    GFs already have trouble finding high end parties. This change would pretty much kill their chances completely. The protective capabilities of the GF are already fine, you've got all the tools you need to hold aggro and defend your party. Not to mention one of your proposed changes already exists in Knight's Valor...
  • evaliraevalira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sure yeh lets nerf it and while you're at it why don't we make GF's a CW/GWF companion/pet. At least then we would stand a good chance of actually getting in a dungeon. Seeesh.
  • wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lol honestly, it's not the Knight Captain's set they should be nerfing, but the other sets they should be BOOSTING.
  • ravenkkinravenkkin Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    evalira wrote: »
    Sure yeh lets nerf it and while you're at it why don't we make GF's a CW/GWF companion/pet. At least then we would stand a good chance of actually getting in a dungeon. Seeesh.
    nah,no one would want them as a pet,they are too weak. Lets make them companions pet :)
  • wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Troll? .
  • lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    evalira wrote: »

HAHAHA companions xD!!! Wow, that just put EVERYTHING in prospective for me lol!
  • firstookamikazefirstookamikaze Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2014
    Are you kinding us ?
    As GF we are actually able to only do 2 thing better than other class : kitting and -boosting party with knight capitain set and into the fray encounter.
    This KC set is the only reason for high GS party to search for à GF : remove it, and it will be the GF class you will remove.
    And wtf about a set redirecting party dammages to the GF. ? We are not able to survive to KV, why use %@#! Set like that ?
  • mqgnusmqgnus Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As GF we are actually able to only do 2 thing better than other class : kitting and -boosting party with knight capitain set and into the fray encounter.
    This KC set is the only reason for high GS party to search for à GF : remove it, and it will be the GF class you will remove.

No **** just balance KC, a T1 set should'nt be more viable than a T2/T2.5 set. Cryptic used this argument to rework SB and they will sure do it again with KC.

Don't fall that deep just to get into a party guys ... It sucks and in the end, you're not enjoying beeing something close to slave.

Find a guild that do not have a bad minding about this game and accept that cleaning speed isn't everything.
    Top tip for passing the time : Read a book, write a book or book a holiday for your book !
  • kurisantonkurisanton Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2014
    Knight captain is fine as it is IMO. Whats really needed to change things for GFs is changes to the gameplay. GFs are made to be tanks but when in this game is a tank actually needed? I really cant think of one. Instead our high armor often delegates us to the role of kiters because we can take hits however with the addition of charging mobs like blademasters in ToS that roll is damaged because we cant keep the mobs on us. An argument could be made that we can fulfill a controlling role but the CW does a vastly better job at controlling mobs then we could ever hope to and they do a ton more damage too.

In my experimentation as the game is right now there are only 2 sets that are worthwhile. The knight captain set to give you more of a support role and the Guantlegrym set which is the closest thing we have to a tanking set in the game. Knight captain gives us an excellent party buff and the GG set allows for movement speed which is game changing to our class

Rather then "fix" the knight captain set I would like to see cryptic make the other sets actually worthwhile. Sets that give further buffs/debuffs would give us a greater role in high end group content but the fact is cryptic needs to change its design philosophy and make dungeons viable for GFs for us to really have a role in the game. No amount of set adjustments is going to change the way GFs are right now
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The appropriate fix to Knight's captain is to lower everyone else's power by 60% when it procs. In this way the GF can have a shot at getting to the top of pain giver, and regardless of how you get there we all know that being on top of paingiver is the only thing that matters in this game.
    edited March 2014
    Are me and kurisanton really the only ones who suggested boosting the other pve sets? Isn't that the most obvious solution?
  • brcubbrcub Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    wildfire5 wrote: »
    Are me and kurisanton really the only ones who suggested boosting the other pve sets? Isn't that the most obvious solution?

This was suggested as a reasonable approach in the case of the Stalwart Bulwark. In fact arguments very similar to the ones in previous posts on this thread were presented back then. Now KC set is in that very same situation that warranted the nerf.
  • willsommerswillsommers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 103
    edited March 2014
    Knight Captain Set needs to be fixed.

It's already been fixed, it used to be available at lvl 49 and stacked.
  • krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OK, relax everyone.

I see many cries of anguish that if they nerf KC, guardians will more or less become outcasts...and I must say, I completely agree. I mean, if not for that buff, what is the point of the guardian? Kiting and tanking? The first is limited to a few encounters, and the second is almost never neccesary, or even desirable.

However, other people say that it is stupid that a T1 set is the best setup by a large margin....and I must say I completely agree. For obvious reason.

The "high road" would be nerfing KC to a reasonable effect, while increasing the class effectiveness to make up for that. This in turn, more or less requires redoing all the content to make tanking actually interesting. Since that's NOT going to happen, I propose a much simpler change:

Swap the effects of Knight Captain and High General. It is a net win no matter what:

- Makes a T2 the set to get, as it should be.

- Actually BUFFS GFs, by allowing us to use the significatively higher stats of the High General set while fullfiling our role.

At the same time, BUFF the other T2 sets to give them effects that stand a shadow of a chance Vs the almighty +60% power.

DO NOT, under any circunstances, undermine the effectiveness of the buff, as it will effectively bury the class.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I don't think there's much problem with T1 sets being more useful than T2. The very same thing happens with DCs (high prophet is totally the end-game set to use) and I don't see anyone clamouring for that to get nerfed. It's all about bringing the right tools to the party. If you're in a high-geared endgame party, you'll take KC, coz they don't need you to tank so much, but +60% power O YES PLEASE, but if you're in a lower-geared party taking something more tanky might be more beneficial. Plus KC is bugger-all use for solo questing, whereas some of the T2 sets are much better.

Still, I'd definitely add my +1 to the peeps saying some of the other sets need a boost.
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is the actual issue, GF are almost forced to nerf themselves with craptastic gear and stats just so the party gets the buff! The other gear needs to be brought in line!

wildfire5 wrote: »
    lol honestly, it's not the Knight Captain's set they should be nerfing, but the other sets they should be BOOSTING.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
    edited March 2014
    This is the actual issue, GF are almost forced to nerf themselves with craptastic gear and stats just so the party gets the buff! The other gear needs to be brought in line!

Actually I use Timeless as my personal/use-if-party-sucks/PvP set and find that my defense is not all that different and my offense is... well it's there. lol. I of course still stand by what I said. If they did boost all the other sets I would not mind keeping my KC set, but Timeless would be more viable for high end team play.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's already been fixed, it used to be available at lvl 49 and stacked.

I love my Antiquated Knight Captain's set. :)
    But I mostly wear Timeless with a highly geared group that doesn't need the boost and would rather my GF kill things more quickly.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• rfaulrfaul Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly the other sets aren't competitive. Even in pre-nerf Stalwart Bulwark Set GFs would often be asked for their KC because the utility it adds is really out of hand. It doesn't really matter how much the other players are geared, killing things faster would be the first choice unless they're dieing due to lack of protection. The set bonus need to be protective.
  • krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Good, for Mod3, they have announced a nerf to the set to 15%, down from 60%. No word on making other sets less laughable. No changes in Guardian Fighter mechanics.

It IS starting to look like GG. They have added the class specific artifacts so that everyone has an excuse to level a GF to 60, but that's it. They are pretty much declaring they don't want us in dungeon.

So, going to level that wiz to 60 and start the boring grind, I guess.
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Good, for Mod3, they have announced a nerf to the set to 15%, down from 60%. No word on making other sets less laughable. No changes in Guardian Fighter mechanics.

It IS starting to look like GG. They have added the class specific artifacts so that everyone has an excuse to level a GF to 60, but that's it. They are pretty much declaring they don't want us in dungeon.

They also reworked how powers works:
    Power has been reworked. Power was very difficult for players to understand before, so we have made it more clear by having it give a damage multiplier based on your level.
    How this affects Knight's Captain overall, it might still be a nerf, but the power change can't even be seen yet to fully tell.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2014

yeah looks like they only listen to few cw spamers and balance game on them no way gwf or hr will be able to out dps them any more or gf buff better then them so they got what they wanted i hope they are happy now
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

RIP Knight Captain GF.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • tiffairiktiffairik Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2014
    rip Guardian fighters now that they are more useless... Meanwhile... GWF got ONLY 1 nerf the deep gash then huge buff to other skills/feats more like 50-60% total increase in damage and also developers said they are worried/concerned about the sentinels THREAT GENERATION AND TANKING. So yeah lets ignore that the gf is the TANK of the game and already has threat and tanking problems.

Anyway seems I am qq ranting... More power and salute to gf users!!! :D
  • wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tiffairik wrote: »
    rip Guardian fighters now that they are more useless... Meanwhile... GWF got ONLY 1 nerf the deep gash then huge buff to other skills/feats more like 50-60% total increase in damage and also developers said they are worried/concerned about the sentinels THREAT GENERATION AND TANKING. So yeah lets ignore that the gf is the TANK of the game and already has threat and tanking problems.

Anyway seems I am qq ranting... More power and salute to gf users!!! :D

I would love to know where you got those numbers from. They seem incredibly exaggerated to say the very least.
    I don't know the exact numbers but as of now, roughly 40-45% of my damage comes from deep gash. According to a recent post by gentlemancrush the reworked feat totaled up to a mere 5% of total damage done.
    So, I'm curious. All these newly buffed feats allegedly not only make up for the 30%+ of damage lost but also add another "50-60%" on top? I call serious bull on that.
    Just for clarification. I don't disagree with the planned GWF changes but with your numbers there.

Back on topic:

Unless they add some magical new damage modifiers to power like 1000 power = 10% damage increment I don't see the point in destroying yet another GF set. It's not like there are too many viable options to choose from. So, dear devs. Before you pull this off please go ahead, /console a GF with 22k GS and spam /LFG trying to get into a dungeon group. Now, if someone will send you a tell after 5 minutes of waiting it will basically be some form of "Are you running the KC set?" If your reply doesn't positively respond to that question you can go ahead and wait another 5 minutes for the next guy to pose you the same question. Rinse and repeat.
    Why would you take that last little straw the GFs can cling to: Being a team buffer with barely any other contribution. I seriously don't get it. Have you ever actually played the game asides of 5-min test runs? Enlighten me. Stop with the nerf madness and actually think about different means to address gameplay issues. Have you tried creating variety by buffing now inferior gear sets, feats and powers - heck even classes? Start giving us alternatives to play with, stop taking em. We're here for a fun experience after all, not for a second job.
  • arinathosarinathos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ^^^^^
    This.

Developers, please don't screw over the GF again.

Poor tab power, aggro that can't override high DPS classes, low damage potential, paragon path that's in essence been given to the GWF so THEY can be better tanks than the GF...

They've already taken away the Stalwart Bulwark which allowed GFs to at least compete with high DPS classes. Now they could be taking away the only piece of armor we have that allows us a solid benefit to other party members.

Even with the adjustments to Anvil of Doom and others (coupled with the decrease in damage to frontline surge), the class still is far behind in damage output. Dunno what the developers are thinking, but it doesn't seem to be about the GF...
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    my sig said it best.
    "GF (retired)"
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • tiffairiktiffairik Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2014
    wixxgs1cht wrote: »
    I would love to know where you got those numbers from. They seem incredibly exaggerated to say the very least.
    I don't know the exact numbers but as of now, roughly 40-45% of my damage comes from deep gash. According to a recent post by gentlemancrush the reworked feat totaled up to a mere 5% of total damage done.
    So, I'm curious. All these newly buffed feats allegedly not only make up for the 30%+ of damage lost but also add another "50-60%" on top? I call serious bull on that.
    Just for clarification. I don't disagree with the planned GWF changes but with your numbers there.

Back on topic:

Unless they add some magical new damage modifiers to power like 1000 power = 10% damage increment I don't see the point in destroying yet another GF set. It's not like there are too many viable options to choose from. So, dear devs. Before you pull this off please go ahead, /console a GF with 22k GS and spam /LFG trying to get into a dungeon group. Now, if someone will send you a tell after 5 minutes of waiting it will basically be some form of "Are you running the KC set?" If your reply doesn't positively respond to that question you can go ahead and wait another 5 minutes for the next guy to pose you the same question. Rinse and repeat.
    Why would you take that last little straw the GFs can cling to: Being a team buffer with barely any other contribution. I seriously don't get it. Have you ever actually played the game asides of 5-min test runs? Enlighten me. Stop with the nerf madness and actually think about different means to address gameplay issues. Have you tried creating variety by buffing now inferior gear sets, feats and powers - heck even classes? Start giving us alternatives to play with, stop taking em. We're here for a fun experience after all, not for a second job.

sorry bout that may have been too much exaggeration of damage but there is:
    Destroyer's Purpose: This feat now grants an additional effect. When you deal damage while Unstoppable, you gain a stack of Destroyer's Purpose (max 20). Each stack of Destroyer's Purpose increases your damage by 1%. Destroyer's Purpose lasts 20 seconds."
    Executioner's Strike: Indomitable Battle Strike now deals a bonus 6/12/18/24/30% bonus damage as the target's health diminishes (up from 2/3/6/8/10%).
    Focused Destroyer: This feat now grants an additional .5/1/1.5/2/2.5% bonus damage per stack of Destroyer.
    Relentless Battle Fury: This feat now grants an additional effect. Activating Roar, Takedown, or Battle Fury now grants you Relentless. Relentless causes you to ignore an additional 1/2/3/4/5% of the target's resistance. Relentless lasts 5 seconds.
    Student of the Sword: This feat has been redesigned. Your Critical Strikes now lower your target's Damage Resistance to your attacks by 1/2/3/4/5%

destroyers purpose upto +20% damage
    Executioners strike upto +30% damage
    Focused destroyer 2.5% damage per stack
    relentless ignores 5% armor
    stud of sword 5%
    Sorry i just added all of them so that came to my 50-60%inc damage which is kinda unfair though, not considering the nerf on deep gash :D. Just wishing for more improvement for gf and at least know that devs are also concerned about the gfs :)
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Very much hyperbole. 60% to 15% doesn't have to be a nerf because of the power rework. I share the concern, but without actual testing this is an arbitrary conversation.

Most of the KC viability came from the bugged Deep Gash. Now that this is fixed, the whole effect of KC has to be reevaluated.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Very much hyperbole. 60% to 15% doesn't have to be a nerf because of the power rework. I share the concern, but without actual testing this is an arbitrary conversation.

Most of the KC viability came from the bugged Deep Gash. Now that this is fixed, the whole effect of KC has to be reevaluated.

if i have 7k power and gf with kc in team he could improve it to 11.2k so by 4.2kpower =168 damage boost and now with new change should be 15% of 7k and this is by 1050 and this means 1050k power should give 168 damage with new power changes for this not to be nerf so new power multiplier should be every 6.25 power we get 1 damage at least to kc set be good as it is atm