test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Class balance post-tenacity in 1v1 scenario

keltz0rkeltz0r Member Posts: 85
edited March 2014 in PvE Discussion
Here are my thoughts on the topic: I play tr/cw/gwf and know how the other classes work aswell, and ive been active in the "pvp community" since the server merge in october and have played countless premades (and pugs) and 1v1s against every class on all of my classes and watched ones between the classes i dont play. My opinions here are based on the "high lvl pvp" of this game, what happens when the very best of two classes go against each other. This also means that most of the builds im talking about here are "fotm" builds as they are the most effective in current domination pvp. FoTM builds example: recovery based itc/ss TR and sent IV GWF. All of these 1v1 scenarios are on a NODE, which is the key to pvp at the moment. Of course ranged classes have some advantage if their team has the point capped to safely nuke away from a distance but im not taking that into account here.

GWF: formerly the most OP class by far, but with tenacity since gwfs relied on regening like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to survive, they are not even close to as sustainable as they used to be. GWF is fairly balanced in 1v1 situations now and can die to a cw/hr/tr but will also kill them if they get enough crits. Hardest time the GWF has against a TR now, because if they cant kill the TR fast enough their hp will be withered down to a point where they will die to a shocking crit, and even if it doesnt crit they will still be low and it will be very hard for them to recover anymore. Imo gwf is not OP anymore, only threatening rush is still unbalanced and if that is made to have a say 3 second cooldown or have charges it will be balanced.

TR: probably the best class in pvp atm, due to their ability to stay in steath/itc and not taking much damage to begin with and can steadily kill their opponents with flurry and potb/impact shot and hold points effectively. Not to mention shocking which is clearly OP now, imo it should be affected by tenacity and then it would be balanced, but still insanely good. TRs will usually kill most classes except a rly good HR gives TR the most problems and they will kill the TR more often than die. Of course a cw/gwf or even gf will kill the TR occasionally if the TR makes a mistake though. A drawback with playing TR is that the 1v1s usually take pretty long against any class since the best TR builds now have no real burst damage, this gives help time to arrive (unless the target is 60% or lower, this is where shocking comes in :). Contrary to popular belief TR can NOT reliably escape healing depression by going into stealth, 10 seconds is just too long and any stray hit or dot damage will reset the timer.

CW: the best cw builds now are very tanky with even 38k hp and still capable of doing crazy burst damage with shard combos. CW will generally lose a 1v1 more often than win vs almost any class (except maybe a gf) but if they manage to survive long enough and get some damage in they can kill any class. CWs were and are still a very good support class and a cw and any other gwf/hr/cw will destroy anything in seconds.

HR: excels in a 1v1 situation where fox shift damage isnt spread between targets and will usually beat a TR, can kill or die vs a cw/gwf.

GF: even though they got buffed they still need some love and will generally lose to any class 1v1 but occasionally kill too with some crits. They are like a weaker version of GWFs with block that isnt a match for 20% lower crit chance, unstoppable and sprint.

DC: first of all, if you die to a dc 1v1 no matter your class you should uninstall the game. DC is still very tanky but will eventually die to gwf/cw/tr when they get a few good crit rotations (or shocking). Imo healing depression should affect dc heals by only 20-30% and righteousness should be reduced. They can still be very useful but definitely need some buffs.

I know this post is long as shet but i wanted to write my opinion on class balance here since theres been some whining going on (like people calling cws the most OP class now, wat). Overall i think the class balance with tenacity is very good and although threatening rush and shocking need to be nerfed a bit and gfs and dcs need a buff the game is in a pretty good situation right now. There is no class that just kills everything 1v1 or is a must have in a party. Rock paper scissors is how it should be, and its looking pretty good now.

I prefer tenacity to the way it was before.

No longer playing NW
Post edited by keltz0r on

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not sure 1v1 is a good way to compare as this is a team game.

That having been said, I agree with your conclusion that overall class balance has improved with tenacity.
  • Options
    iliveforpvpiliveforpvp Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    keltz0r wrote: »
    Here are my thoughts on the topic: I play tr/cw/gwf and know how the other classes work aswell, and ive been active in the "pvp community" since the server merge in october and have played countless premades (and pugs) and 1v1s against every class on all of my classes and watched ones between the classes i dont play. My opinions here are based on the "high lvl pvp" of this game, what happens when the very best of two classes go against each other. This also means that most of the builds im talking about here are "fotm" builds as they are the most effective in current domination pvp. FoTM builds example: recovery based itc/ss TR and sent IV GWF. All of these 1v1 scenarios are on a NODE, which is the key to pvp at the moment. Of course ranged classes have some advantage if their team has the point capped to safely nuke away from a distance but im not taking that into account here.

GWF: formerly the most OP class by far, but with tenacity since gwfs relied on regening like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to survive, they are not even close to as sustainable as they used to be. GWF is fairly balanced in 1v1 situations now and can die to a cw/hr/tr but will also kill them if they get enough crits. Hardest time the GWF has against a TR now, because if they cant kill the TR fast enough their hp will be withered down to a point where they will die to a shocking crit, and even if it doesnt crit they will still be low and it will be very hard for them to recover anymore. Imo gwf is not OP anymore, only threatening rush is still unbalanced and if that is made to have a say 3 second cooldown or have charges it will be balanced.

TR: probably the best class in pvp atm, due to their ability to stay in steath/itc and not taking much damage to begin with and can steadily kill their opponents with flurry and potb/impact shot and hold points effectively. Not to mention shocking which is clearly OP now, imo it should be affected by tenacity and then it would be balanced, but still insanely good. TRs will usually kill most classes except a rly good HR gives TR the most problems and they will kill the TR more often than die. Of course a cw/gwf or even gf will kill the TR occasionally if the TR makes a mistake though. A drawback with playing TR is that the 1v1s usually take pretty long against any class since the best TR builds now have no real burst damage, this gives help time to arrive (unless the target is 60% or lower, this is where shocking comes in :). Contrary to popular belief TR can NOT reliably escape healing depression by going into stealth, 10 seconds is just too long and any stray hit or dot damage will reset the timer.

CW: the best cw builds now are very tanky with even 38k hp and still capable of doing crazy burst damage with shard combos. CW will generally lose a 1v1 more often than win vs almost any class (except maybe a gf) but if they manage to survive long enough and get some damage in they can kill any class. CWs were and are still a very good support class and a cw and any other gwf/hr/cw will destroy anything in seconds.

HR: excels in a 1v1 situation where fox shift damage isnt spread between targets and will usually beat a TR, can kill or die vs a cw/gwf.

GF: even though they got buffed they still need some love and will generally lose to any class 1v1 but occasionally kill too with some crits. They are like a weaker version of GWFs with block that isnt a match for 20% lower crit chance, unstoppable and sprint.

DC: first of all, if you die to a dc 1v1 no matter your class you should uninstall the game. DC is still very tanky but will eventually die to gwf/cw/tr when they get a few good crit rotations (or shocking). Imo healing depression should affect dc heals by only 20-30% and righteousness should be reduced. They can still be very useful but definitely need some buffs.

I know this post is long as shet but i wanted to write my opinion on class balance here since theres been some whining going on (like people calling cws the most OP class now, wat). Overall i think the class balance with tenacity is very good and although threatening rush and shocking need to be nerfed a bit and gfs and dcs need a buff the game is in a pretty good situation right now. There is no class that just kills everything 1v1 or is a must have in a party. Rock paper scissors is how it should be, and its looking pretty good now.

I prefer tenacity to the way it was before.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Time for them to turn the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> labeled "tenacity" and even these classes out in PVP.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    vedran541vedran541 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think things are mostly balanced now. I have seen DC that almost could not be killed.

TRs shocking is not balanced, its ****ed
  • Options
    maxiumdanmaxiumdan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    good feedback
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Nice read keltz0r :)
  • Options
    norsemanxnorsemanx Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Fair analysis IF the game worked out to where opponents were always on par with gear and skill levels. That's not the case though. Nor is the 1v1 much of a standard for balancing classes in team/group play pvp. So while your article was a fun read I'm not sure how useful it is in the whole scheme of things.

I agree the ITC perma TR is a bit much (and I choose not to play mine that way, it's too cheese) and I disagree that the GWF is now balanced. But I'm looking more from a team game perspective where they are still beasts.

Since the patch I've noticed the dynamics of pvp slowly shifting as more and more folks are gearing up with tenacity gear. I'm looking forwards to the matchmaking starting to really kick in. We need that to happen before much analysis can be done, since most fights are not 1v1 by people with the highest gear scores with FoTM builds.
  • Options
    velynnavelynna Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Good analysis. I definitely agree with all your points. (Especially the bit about DCs...)

Quick note: Emblems on a DC only heal them ~200 per hit instead of ~400, as for every other class. There is really no good justification for this difference.
  • Options
    kunekadenkunekaden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Not sure 1v1 is a good way to compare as this is a team game.

That having been said, I agree with your conclusion that overall class balance has improved with tenacity.

I feel that comparing 1v1 is a great way to flesh things out.
    In a match there is almost always a 1v1 going on at one of the points.

EDIT: Also, situations other than 1v1 are usually determined by the coordination and skill of each team, not how powerful/weak the classes in question are.

Great feedback.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Great read, agree with your points.

Cryptic please read this. The OP has painted a very clear picture of what happens AT THE TOP END of pvp
  • Options
    trippysmurf1trippysmurf1 Member Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Great read, agree with your points.

Cryptic please read this. The OP has painted a very clear picture of what happens AT THE TOP END of pvp

And it will be ignored like all other feedback.
  • Options
    lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2014

<3 this so much!
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Where'd all the "TRs are gimped" whiney folk go?
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Where'd all the "TRs are gimped" whiney folk go?
    they scrolled down and found shocking execution instead of bloodbath
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lazuree wrote: »
    they scrolled down and found shocking execution instead of bloodbath

Haha! Pretty much. They also played more than 2 matches.
  • Options
    goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bla bla blaQUOTE]

I can said only - learn to play man.

As we know this game is rock paper scissors so you CANNOT expect balance in 1vs1 where you have not arena but battleground which one is 5vs5.

So some classes will be better in 1vs1(2+) other will be not but will be better in 2+vs1+. If you want to play 1vs1 go to play something other.

CW is not support he beast (of course in the right player hands).
    HR is support. Yes it can be made to survive 1vs3 and maybe will kill someone but that's all. If you wanna have good HR then use it as range assassin and defend it.
    DC very important class but if you wanna use him properly you need to be very careful for it.
    TR balanced class if you wanna to go for DPS you can to do it but of course this depend from player skills. If you wanna go for perma stelt then you will have not high DPS which one is normal.

At moment most of PUGs do the PVP wrong because they play 1vs1 in 5vs5 and this is always wrong. You need to help on your party member but not to look your target and do no care about what do other. Support is the key word for this kind of PVP.
    Glass cannon DPS and tanky GF which one not go to kill but to defend DPS+Healer is the right way.

Yes I am agree that Cryptic need to do something to balance this way of playing for both PVP and PVE because this is the main idea of this game.

We do not need balance in 1vs1 but in 5vs5/PVE. The main problem in this game is one and it name is Cryptic. Because Cryptic made one game in one direction and after that they try to "fix" it in totally other direction which one is obviously wrong.
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Agree with everything the OP said. Good analysis.
  • Options
    hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Agreed, great post!
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    goldheart wrote: »
    I can said only - learn to play man.

As we know this game is rock paper scissors so you CANNOT expect balance in 1vs1 where you have not arena but battleground which one is 5vs5.

So some classes will be better in 1vs1(2+) other will be not but will be better in 2+vs1+. If you want to play 1vs1 go to play something other.

CW is not support he beast (of course in the right player hands).
    HR is support. Yes it can be made to survive 1vs3 and maybe will kill someone but that's all. If you wanna have good HR then use it as range assassin and defend it.
    DC very important class but if you wanna use him properly you need to be very careful for it.
    TR balanced class if you wanna to go for DPS you can to do it but of course this depend from player skills. If you wanna go for perma stelt then you will have not high DPS which one is normal.

At moment most of PUGs do the PVP wrong because they play 1vs1 in 5vs5 and this is always wrong. You need to help on your party member but not to look your target and do no care about what do other. Support is the key word for this kind of PVP.
    Glass cannon DPS and tanky GF which one not go to kill but to defend DPS+Healer is the right way.

Yes I am agree that Cryptic need to do something to balance this way of playing for both PVP and PVE because this is the main idea of this game.

We do not need balance in 1vs1 but in 5vs5/PVE. The main problem in this game is one and it name is Cryptic. Because Cryptic made one game in one direction and after that they try to "fix" it in totally other direction which one is obviously wrong.

..did this guy just say "L2P" to keltz0r ??? :D
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    edited March 2014

That's how you know immediately that their opinion on PvP is pretty questionable. 1v1s are important in PvP, especially for TRs and GWFs. As a previous poster noted, 1v1s are commons in games. Generally at least one player in a match will be engaged in a 1v1, and being able to win that is important. It's obviously not the end-all of a PvP game, but they should not be dismissed. And I don't think Keltz0r was speaking only about 1v1s, except for the relevant classes.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

This that 1000 people do something wrong and few other do not, doesn't mean that all must follow this 1000 people.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Keltz0r can i add you in game to ask somethibg about new rings for TR post patch? I m starting to think regen rings are meaningless now but a fellow guild mate is not of this opinion
  • Options
    hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "GF: even though they got buffed they still need some love and will generally lose to any class 1v1 but occasionally kill too with some crits."

A same gs GF against same gs classes in 1vs1 should be killed only by Sent GWF and occasionally TR.Especcialy as the gs keeps low.
    Conq GWf and all other classes are helpless in 1v1 AFTER TENACITY patch..It may take forever but the GF will finally outlast them cause block and bigger hp pool.
    Most people have this opinion cause GF are so slow to kill the opponent that in pvp 1v1 with GF never happens.At some time a second member of the opposite team will come out and it will be 2 vs 1.GF is dead. 99% of all deaths of GFs are 2vs 1.

"They are like a weaker version of GWFs with block that isnt a match for 20% lower crit chance, unstoppable and sprint. "

Agree.
  • Options
    zolronzolron Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "GF: even though they got buffed they still need some love and will generally lose to any class 1v1 but occasionally kill too with some crits."

A same gs GF against same gs classes in 1vs1 should be killed only by Sent GWF and occasionally TR.Especcialy as the gs keeps low.
    Conq GWf and all other classes are helpless in 1v1 AFTER TENACITY patch..It may take forever but the GF will finally outlast them cause block and bigger hp pool.
    Most people have this opinion cause GF are so slow to kill the opponent that in pvp 1v1 with GF never happens.At some time a second member of the opposite team will come out and it will be 2 vs 1.GF is dead. 99% of all deaths of GFs are 2vs 1.

"They are like a weaker version of GWFs with block that isnt a match for 20% lower crit chance, unstoppable and sprint. "

Agree.
    I agree..GF are quite good in 1 vs 1, especially if we get the jump on them and start 'toe to toe' and not from range..
  • Options
    nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited March 2014

We're surprised that you don't mention that Unstoppable is not usable anymore, that is the gwf dies before his bar is full enough to get Unstoppable (even the 50% bar version)
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really cant understand the matchmaking. Is it working or do it need to grind datas about us to be effective later on? One match i m against pugs without clue ajd the following one i m against very well organized premades.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    Yes, too many people don't understand the importance of having someone on each node, which always leads to 1v1 situations. Like you say, 1,000s of people tend to run in flocks, while relatively few in pug groups understand that spreading out is how to win.

We have 3 Capstone and 2 ways that follow to them = so we have not only 1 strategy to get them. GL & HF with 1vs1 in any MMO and crying for 'balance'.