test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

shards????

drezzatdrezzat Member Posts: 291 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Okay let me say I love this game and it beats spending my money on crack LOL. BUT but but every once in a while i see the stupidest thing on here. now most times I'm just missing something and someone is nice enough to point out that I'm an idiot. So once again if someone could do that for me ...much thanks in advance.

here it is, explain shards to me. The whole existence of them seems inane to me.I saw some on the AH when i was trying to find a weapon enchantment. it said put 4 together make an enchantment. so you get 4 shards and click to fuse/refine/upgrade and there is only a 1 per cent chance it will work and if not what you bought goes pfffttt!

Why would you even buy or keep these things? What possible thought process could the PW peeps have been using? Here's a bunch of shards to find but they don't ever do anything and they have no purpose but to frustrate you...enjoy!
did i miss something?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2014
    That was 3 paragraphs when I typed it and now it's one big blob dunno why
  • Options
    wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Coalescent Wards.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes, you need coalescent wards to make weapon/armor enchantments. They give you a 100% success rate. Not sure why they just didn't make it a flat out requirement for making weap/arm enchants instead of leaving them as a option since its really not an option at all.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    snotty wrote: »
    Yes, you need coalescent wards to make weapon/armor enchantments. They give you a 100% success rate. Not sure why they just didn't make it a flat out requirement for making weap/arm enchants instead of leaving them as a option since its really not an option at all.

Cause it is theoretically possible to get a Perfect Weapon/Armor Enhancement without wards or just using Preservation Wards.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    It's an added layer of difficulty.

Why? Part of it is balancing I am sure. Another part is to make things rarer.

And the solution to the low fusion rate is Coalescrnt Wards as others have said. They aren't too hard to come by in game or overly expensive in the AH.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    drezzat wrote: »
    Why would you even buy or keep these things?

Apart from merging them properly, using wards, there is always the option of using them just to upgrade artifacts.... 1200AD for 1080 RP is not a bad deal.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    And the solution to the low fusion rate is Coalescrnt Wards as others have said. They aren't too hard to come by in game or overly expensive in the AH.

190 - 200k is not overly expensive when at least 50% of the lesser enchants you can make don't even sell for that price?

Coal Wards, both in the Zen Store (ESPECIALLY the Zen Store) and on the AH are grossly overpriced. A month ago I could buy Coal Wards for 130 - 140k off the AH, which was more than reasonable. Now the prices are bad.

Also, my two toons earned 3 unbound Coal Wards between them in two months before Mod 2. Post Mod 2 and 3 toons have seen one bound Pres Ward between them.

Coal Wards are crushingly expensive and difficult to come by for the average player.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    130 up to 190 is less than a 50% increase. It's dramatic, but it's not like they've gone from being "so cheap everyone can buy a dozen" to "so expensive only the elite can afford them". They've just gone from 'expensive' to 'more expensive'.

As for some lessers being worth less than the wards themselves, that's perfectly ok, and is simply an indication that you should buy the lesser rather than the ward, if you can find any for sale.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2014

What? C-Wards are VERY hard to come by in game. You have three ways to get one:

A) Using trade bars, of which the drop rate has be SIGNIFICANTLY reduced in the new boxes
    B) Praying for 7 days straight, then only have a 3-5% of getting on in the box
    C) Buying them on the AH for ~200k AD, which can be a couple weeks of playing for your average player

Again, key word here is you AVERAGE player. Getting one or two to do your first level of enchantments is pretty dang difficult for an average player, particularly one who's started more recently. Getting enough to consistently upgrade your enchantments is a pretty significant ordeal.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I want perfect enchants and i want them now, and fast!!!! i dont want to grind or work for anything in this game!!! gimme gimme!!!

2 weeks playing 2-3 hours daily should get you from 0-60 and t1 gear with lesser enchants with real ease, at that level of gear you should easily get 1k GS more on avg each week, and that with settle you in 15-16 k in about 2 WHOLE months of playing at a normal pace... wow, this game sure is extorting us!
  • Options
    l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

A) Using trade bars, of which the drop rate has be SIGNIFICANTLY reduced in the new boxes
    C) Buying them on the AH for ~200k AD, which can be a couple weeks of playing for your average player

Again, key word here is you AVERAGE player. Getting one or two to do your first level of enchantments is pretty dang difficult for an average player, particularly one who's started more recently. Getting enough to consistently upgrade your enchantments is a pretty significant ordeal.

I must be VERY VERY VERY unlucky then

Before the change to C/wards i got 2-3 week from my 18 toons, Since the patch went live to add items to the 7 Day chest i have had zero in 2/3 months since the new change :(
  • Options
    krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Shards are not a problem. Never have been to boot. Absolutely no idea what the OP is talking about.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Alternative you could just say it's to cash in on high end gear. Of course it's possible to get coals free in 7 day boxes, but lets be honest that's next to useless. The most likely way you're going to get the wards are from the ah from others who have cashed in for lockboxes or whatever. Luckily for the player they're not as overpriced as in cryptics store. I'm not trying to say that as a negative against cryptic (apart from that last point), they do need to make an income and this is one way they decided to cash in. You can get them from just playing but especially nowadays, they are most likely to be obtained via cash albeit directly or indirectly.

You can also use preservation wards on enchants that have a smaller chance to fail that will preserve reagents. The have the benefit of only being consumed upon fail which is a good thing. I bought 1000 when they were on sale coz I'm crazy :D
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    frarii wrote: »
    2 weeks playing 2-3 hours daily should get you from 0-60 and t1 gear with lesser enchants with real ease, at that level of gear you should easily get 1k GS more on avg each week, and that with settle you in 15-16 k in about 2 WHOLE months of playing at a normal pace... wow, this game sure is extorting us!

2-3 hours daily is not average, 2-3 hours weekly is average.
  • Options
    norsemanxnorsemanx Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2014

This. Being a casual player (I don't have the time or inclination to allow games to be a big time sink in my life any more) I find these to be one of the more daunting obstacles to upgrading my gear. I kind of have to do it on my own because I just don't generate the AD to go and just buy everything I need either.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Using trade bars, of which the drop rate has be SIGNIFICANTLY reduced in the new boxes.

Correction: trade bar drops are consistent in all lockboxes, not more than 20 bars per box unless you get a trade bar jackpot.

Tested on Owlbear with 150 of each kind of lockbox.

Regarding shards/enchantments, many lesser enchants are available for less than the cost of a coalescent ward, especially if you keep looking. If that's the case, use matching shards to feed your enchantments, and use any coalescent wards you get for upgrading rather than making lessers. Mismatched shards can be fed to your artifacts or sold.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for your replies. So I wasn't missing anything. Apparently just a revenue generator for PW. got a weapon with a WE slot but of course I cant afford it so it'll just stay empty.
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    drezzat wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. So I wasn't missing anything. Apparently just a revenue generator for PW. got a weapon with a WE slot but of course I cant afford it so it'll just stay empty.

In a word: yes. But not necessarily.

Some out there has to buy the Zen that is for sale on the Zen Exchange. You, however, and many others like myself can earn Astral Diamonds, trade those for Zen, and never have to spend a single dime on the game, should you want to go this route. The biggest thing you're doing is trading your time and convenience for a product, rather than your cash.'

I'm going to go out ona limb here and assume you're relatively new to the game and the forum. If you aren't I apologize, but if you'r einterested in playing the game as f2p as possible check out Trace's Guide to AD Creation and Wealth Building. There's some seriously great information in here.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    dashartzdashartz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    syka08 wrote: »
    In a word: yes. But not necessarily.

Some out there has to buy the Zen that is for sale on the Zen Exchange. You, however, and many others like myself can earn Astral Diamonds, trade those for Zen, and never have to spend a single dime on the game, should you want to go this route. The biggest thing you're doing is trading your time and convenience for a product, rather than your cash.'

I'm going to go out ona limb here and assume you're relatively new to the game and the forum. If you aren't I apologize, but if you'r einterested in playing the game as f2p as possible check out Trace's Guide to AD Creation and Wealth Building. There's some seriously great information in here.

Yes. The guide that was produced by a player was the only saving grace. Just sad a player had to break it down aand not the game/provider. That is my problem with this game, you basically have to have an exploiters way of thinking to make it somewhere. Played since beta and about a month ago discovered you can do most of the things in the guide. Wasted almost a year because I wanted to earn everythin through just doing dailies for rhix and running delves.

As far as shards go, save everything and buy/sell with ah.
  • Options
    dhuras1dhuras1 Member Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014

We have vastly different definitions of "hard to come by" and "overly expensive".
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    morsitans wrote: »
    130 up to 190 is less than a 50% increase. It's dramatic, but it's not like they've gone from being "so cheap everyone can buy a dozen" to "so expensive only the elite can afford them". They've just gone from 'expensive' to 'more expensive'.

As for some lessers being worth less than the wards themselves, that's perfectly ok, and is simply an indication that you should buy the lesser rather than the ward, if you can find any for sale.

The metals used to manufacture a car most certainly should NOT cost more than the car itself.

There is no rational way to justify the price of Coal Wards. The Zen Store price especially is simply beyond ridiculous. $10 to make something that isn't even worth $7? Yes, completely okay. :rolleyes:

Like others have posted, I am lucky to put an hour into his game a day (and that is primarily spent doing dailies) and that is rarely during a DD event, so my ability to grind for AD is not even comparable to someone that can average 2-3 hours per day.

I have no problem with Greater, Perfects and R7+ enchants being something of a premium item, but I cannot accept a Coal Ward being more valuable than an entry-level enchant.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    I cannot accept a Coal Ward being more valuable than an entry-level enchant.

Leaving out the Zen store pricing of coalescent wards, there's a reason why some (typically less desirable) enchantments are sold for less than buying a ward. People who've gotten a ward from invocation and don't want to use it themselves take some shards to make an unbound enchantment from their bound ward and sell that. Usually they're going to go with what's cheap or whatever they already had.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia