test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Quick Q: Clear the Ground

nowhere64nowhere64 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in The Wilds
Never bothered to try it. Before i spend $ to respec: How much damage does it do? More than split strike I hope.
Post edited by nowhere64 on

Comments

• proqludumproqludum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited February 2014
    Go to preview server and try it out, the respec is free there.
  • brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited February 2014
    And even then, "$" you say? It's like a bit over 100K AD since it's 300 Zen. No need to break out your wallet.
  • elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's slightly less than Rapid Strike with a five-target cap. Not nearly as bad as Electric Shot, but still completely worthless. Don't waste your points
  • howitzer001howitzer001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    elminster wrote: »
    It's slightly less than Rapid Strike with a five-target cap. Not nearly as bad as Electric Shot, but still completely worthless. Don't waste your points

Clear the Ground currently is only-but-very useful to Melee builds it has high synergy with master of Combat and Bladestorm/Twin Bladestorm. I use the ability religiously with a full combat spec and it does amazing close quarters AOE damage when used in conjunction with RoA, etc.

Don't believe the naysayers.

Split shot only hits 5 targets, too, but you don't see people calling it "completely worthless". You have to factor in that you can swing Clear the Ground 2-3 times for a full cycle before you can complete the 2nd split shot cycle.

Each damage per swing is less when using CtG, however, the procs from all your melee feats, companion actives, and class feats turn your "so-so" At-Will into a very good ability. Electric shot is just a fast way to pull multiple targets to you before going right back to melee.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.fusion-guild.org
    Sir Howitzer - GF | Howitzer - HR
  • silvereldunarisilvereldunari Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't confuse split strike with split shot, Split Shot does hit a lot more then 5 targets, as it is a ranged at-will, split strike isn't the best for melee builds, but it is worth to slot it, just for Split Shot.
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't confuse split strike with split shot, Split Shot does hit a lot more then 5 targets, as it is a ranged at-will, split strike isn't the best for melee builds, but it is worth to slot it, just for Split Shot.

Don't confuse split shot with other skills. Split shot has a 5 target cap
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    caexar wrote: »
    Split shot has a 5 target cap

Yup, this is clearly visible when you line up a spawn of 6 zombie rotters, 5 of which are one-shot to death and the 6th is unharmed. Every. Single. Time.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Clear the Ground currently is only-but-very useful to Melee builds it has high synergy with master of Combat and Bladestorm/Twin Bladestorm. I use the ability religiously with a full combat spec and it does amazing close quarters AOE damage when used in conjunction with RoA, etc.

Don't believe the naysayers.

Split shot only hits 5 targets, too, but you don't see people calling it "completely worthless". You have to factor in that you can swing Clear the Ground 2-3 times for a full cycle before you can complete the 2nd split shot cycle.

Each damage per swing is less when using CtG, however, the procs from all your melee feats, companion actives, and class feats turn your "so-so" At-Will into a very good ability. Electric shot is just a fast way to pull multiple targets to you before going right back to melee.

I think that's the first time I've ever been called a naysayer O_o

Okay your point about combat built rangers is valid and I'm not going to argue against that. However you need to keep in mind that most rangers are ranged build, some are hybrid, and a select few opt for melee. In the case of hybrid and ranged rangers, my target audience here and admittedly I should have clarified this fact, Clear the Ground is all but useless as you lack the important Master of Combat feat to make it viable. On its own Clear the Ground is little more that a glorified Rapid Strike with a little bit of AoE; flashy and pretty, but overall ineffective unless you dump everything you have into it.

Now Split Shot is completely different from CtG. Even at half charge Split Shot is hitting for over triple your CtG, and at full charge it's nearly five times the damage. So you get three shots to my two; that's fine, I'm dealing six times the damage you do in the same time. This is why nobody harps on Split Shot except for the fact that it pulls wicked threat. Now obviously with a combat build this will skew slightly when adding Master of Combat to the mix, but the majority of rangers will get little to no use from CtG while Split Shot will likely never leave their bar.

I'm not even going to try to defend Electric Shot. You said it yourself, it's good for drawing monsters. That's really about it =/
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Put it simple.

If you are a combat/hybrid HR with master of combat feat, it is decent for dungeons. It hits fast so that it proc master of combat, bladestorm, and bilethorn (if used) very frequently. Moreover, it generates very little threat unlike split shot.

Else, do not bother.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So it should also proc Royal Guard's set bonus. Wondering if this will be a better melee at-will to use in a 1v1 situation, some testings to do.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • rougedroguerougedrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 25
    edited February 2014
    I want this at-will to be viable, I really do. It just...isn't. And yes, I do run a combat spec.:p
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Clear the Ground seems legitimate enough for Combat Spec, although I'm of the opinion that Combat HR that use Clear the Ground might want to invest in an enchantment other than Vorpal. Perhaps Lightening or PF. The speed of the attacks and it's huge AoE make it ideal for procing lots of different effects.

That, and you can jump and move freely while casting Clear the Ground with a bit of practice. It slows the attacks by a bit but keeps you fairly mobile if you need it.

For Archery it's not a great idea, but I've had some success with it as Combat and Nature spec just because I wanted to try each spec for at least a week to get an idea of where they stand in comparison. Archery and Combat seem to do about the same DPS when both are played by really decent players, with Nature being behind both with a big bump in personal and group survival. (I'm of the opinion that the 35-40% added mitigation can be useful in heavy CW groups, but of course not needed with pro's. Groups not taking DC's into Draco should be a clue on that one.)

Basically Clear the Ground does a bit less damage than other melee at-will's but attacks much, much, much faster than the rest so it suits a speed-attack build very well where lots of small hits add up for pretty decent AoE. The more targets that are being hit, and the more they are clustered, the more damage it does. I mainly use it to proc Grand Warden's damage on Rain of Arrows very quickly, as RoA will eat the proc instantly each time it goes off. It might seem odd to use melee to drive a ranged attack's damage, but that's HR for you.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC