test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why does no one revive?

aubossauboss Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
Honestly only about 5% of the time I die someone even tries to revive me.
Post edited by auboss on

Comments

• Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Depends. On where you are dying. Sometimes people die in a sea of red death. It would be foolish for a second team-member to try to revive you when the certain outcome is 2 dead, that would help no one. If you are spamming calls for help, there is your reason. People will not help when someone does that. If you are solo in a zone, well, lots of people try to help strangers who fall, only to have the person disappear by the time they get to them.. because they released or logged. I am guessing that some people get tired of trying.
    Lots of times, especially when the respawn is nearby, it is far better just to release immediately when you die. You can get back in the fight pretty quick and no one has to get pummeled while trying to res you. Also if you are talking about the Call to Arms.. people do them rapid fire. They want to finish it as quick as possible to get to the next one. It's just the way it is.
    If you are doing things that people think are not too smart, like standing in red when you should be moving out if it, or ignoring the blue circles that the cleric has laid out, some might think you are too dumb to live anyway. ( I AM NOT suggesting that you are.. just saying how I know some people respond to certain things.)

If you were running with guild mates, you might get better results. If you are running with guildmates and they don't help you, find a better guild.

None of this is meant to be disrespectful. I am truly just trying to give possible reasons, to help you. Someone might be able to give better answers if you provide more detail.. such as when and where this happens, and what you do when it happens.

EDIT: Guess I need to make it clear. I am not saying by the above that it is the way I react. It is based on things I've seen and on things I've read in forums, and on things I've heard people say in chat.

I mostly miss the chat call for help, because if someone is dying, I am probably eyes on the action. When people die they get this bright green glow (which sadly the ranger powers confuse with greenglow of their own.) When I see this, I revive if at all possible or reasonable. But you must be sensible about it. Sometimes it would just plain be stupid to go revive.. such as when all you will accomplish is to raise the player so that he can immediately get squashed again, and may even end up joining him. With my cleric, it's not such a big deal, because most times I can immediately pop an encounter and heal us both.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    lucidproph3cylucidproph3cy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well as a CW I rarely revive people because my job is to control ads as soon as I start reviving I might loose that control and guess what party wipe. So I tell the cleric they have two jobs healing and res people which usually they do great at. If they cleric goes down then everyone should try to res them. During boss fights it's just really hard to res someone because everyone has a job CW control ads, gwf or tr tank boss so really only person available to res is the cleric. Also in pvp res someone is tough my job is to kill the other person first and if I can still res you I will too many people get cause pants down tryin to res someone which I take advantage of this quite frequently. So ultimately it's the tanks and cleric res in pvp. Unless your really bad then why bother kind of thing. Also as said above when people spam it I just walk by it's quite annoying seeing help a billion times 2 is sufficient.
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I always revive people when I can. Alot of the time people just release without even waiting to be revived or release while Im in the middle of reviving them.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    If you are spamming calls for help, there is your reason. People will not help when someone does that.

I don't understand the logic behind this. Surely if you are asking for help then someone should notice and go res.

The rest of what you say is some good points but most of that usually isn't the case when I die. Am a GF so usually just the boss was on me and he runs off and attacks others.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    auboss wrote: »
    I don't understand the logic behind this. Surely if you are asking for help then someone should notice and go res.

The rest of what you say is some good points but most of that usually isn't the case when I die. Am a GF so usually just the boss was on me and he runs off and attacks others.

because it is annoying when someone spams. that being said I try to revive people except when the die doing something not very bright. I rarely get a thank you
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I don't find it annoying at all when someone spams.
    It makes it more obvious they have gone down so I run over and res them.

You shouldn't just let someone die because they died stupidly and thinking you need a thank you is a joke.
    I don't expect a thank you for doing my part in the game.

The attitude of some people....
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited February 2014

You shouldn't just let someone die because they died stupidly and thinking you need a thank you is a joke.

I completely agree with you. Sometimes spamming is how someone will notice that they are down. There have been many times when i havent even noticed someone was down after they spammed a couple of times. Its a cry for help after all, and they're crying for help. Sometimes people dont always hear/see.

And when I revive someone, I dont always expect a thank you. Its your teammate after all.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yea exactly.

A quick "GG guys" at the end of dungeon is all that is needed to be polite.
  • Options
    norsemanxnorsemanx Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Thank you. I will say that the NW community is not the best of the MMO's that I've played. I tend to avoid having to be social as much as possible. I used to try talking in party chat to be friendly but never got responses so I gave up.
  • Options
    demidogzdemidogz Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014

I disagree to a certain extent, some people who spam are annoying as hell, to the point that when you're resurrecting the moron, they're still spamming.

It's not an obligation to res them anyway so why do so? Especially when in a CTA those kind of people also exist, when the campfire is just a short distance away.
  • Options
    yethensyethens Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    demidogz wrote: »
    I disagree to a certain extent, some people who spam are annoying as hell, to the point that when you're resurrecting the moron, they're still spamming.

It's not an obligation to res them anyway so why do so? Especially when in a CTA those kind of people also exist, when the campfire is just a short distance away.

It's not an obligation to res. It's just a question of being friendly and a good teammate. Obviously some people are not... Besides the campfire being a short distance doesnt change the fact that you get injured.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i try to revive if i can. that's not always the case. but if i am in the position to do so, i will.
  • Options
    williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014

Youre also talking from the perspective of a tank. A class that can take a hit while reviving people. If you died in an aoe by a t2 boss, the cleric, hr, cw, aren't good choices to pick you up. look what happened? now theres 2 people down. playing as a squishy i can honestly say 2/3 of my downs are from picking people up. hence why im trying to nab the eye of lathander so bad for my characters... solves that problem.
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    There are a few reasons why I don't revive.

In PvP I don't revive because it's suicide if there's still a battle going on. There are some rare cases when I will or can but most times it's better to just ignore people who are down.

In PvE it is a bit more complicated.

In fact contrary to the previous poster the tank (the guy with all the mob threat) is the last person who should ever be going near a downed ally. I could be standing right next to a person who fell and still not pick them up. The truth is the far better strategy is to take the aggro and the splats and the swinging monsters away from the fallen companion rather than risk your life and risk killing him instantly upon reviving. It's an exception to the rule when the threat generator revives a person.

As for why other people don't revive, well the same general concept applies more often than not. If it is not safe to revive somebody it is not safe. It happens even when groups of friends run together. It's not often as malicious as you might feel it is.

It's probably the great minority of times when people refuse to revive another person on purpose. It's just not tactical in any way. Even if you're not in a boss fight it will slow you down more to fight with one less person than to revive a person even if you are upset with them. That's cutting your nose to spite your face.

Even something I find annoying, spamming the help key, is no rational excuse to not resurrect a person. I will admit it makes me want to not ressurect them as it's freaking annoying as all hell and seems like something my ten year old brother would do but it is still no reason to not ressurect somebody as, again, it's cutting your nose to spite your face. You are only hurting yourself.

Chances are those who aren't resurrecting are players who are...yeah...not going there...
    Or they just don't feel like they would survive resurrecting you.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    There are a few reasons why I don't revive.

In PvP I don't revive because it's suicide if there's still a battle going on. There are some rare cases when I will or can but most times it's better to just ignore people who are down.

In PvE it is a bit more complicated.

In fact contrary to the previous poster the tank (the guy with all the mob threat) is the last person who should ever be going near a downed ally. I could be standing right next to a person who fell and still not pick them up. The truth is the far better strategy is to take the aggro and the splats and the swinging monsters away from the fallen companion rather than risk your life and risk killing him instantly upon reviving. It's an exception to the rule when the threat generator revives a person.

As for why other people don't revive, well the same general concept applies more often than not. If it is not safe to revive somebody it is not safe. It happens even when groups of friends run together. It's not often as malicious as you might feel it is.

It's probably the great minority of times when people refuse to revive another person on purpose. It's just not tactical in any way. Even if you're not in a boss fight it will slow you down more to fight with one less person than to revive a person even if you are upset with them. That's cutting your nose to spite your face.

Even something I find annoying, spamming the help key, is no rational excuse to not resurrect a person. I will admit it makes me want to not ressurect them as it's freaking annoying as all hell and seems like something my ten year old brother would do but it is still no reason to not ressurect somebody as, again, it's cutting your nose to spite your face. You are only hurting yourself.

Chances are those who aren't resurrecting are players who are...yeah...not going there...
    Or they just don't feel like they would survive resurrecting you.

sorry for the misunderstanding, i also don't think the tank should pickup either. just bringing out the fact that of all the classes, gwfs and gfs can at least take a hit, is all. if im in a dungeon, and i go down, i release right away if no one can get me... don't want me to be the reason someone else goes down.
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • Options
    kirkcaldykirkcaldy Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I try to res whenever I can.
    I just feel its the right thing to do, as i think of all the times i needed a res
    and didn't get it.
    Everyone has different ideas and values though.

The thing that gets me, is when you go out of your way
    and put your char in danger, to help someone,
    they promptly vanish when you get within range. :confused:

I just think though in general, that if you res someone,
    then they may do the same for you one day.

• Options
    alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited February 2014
    funny fact is i revive with my artifact and some ppl go afk or die again haha
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    kirkcaldy wrote: »
    I try to res whenever I can.
    I just feel its the right thing to do, as i think of all the times i needed a res
    and didn't get it.
    Everyone has different ideas and values though.

The thing that gets me, is when you go out of your way
    and put your char in danger, to help someone,
    they promptly vanish when you get within range. :confused:

I just think though in general, that if you res someone,
    then they may do the same for you one day.

nice way to put it. if i can get the artifact, even better imo. when theres no chance that youd be in danger, THEN i say why not? doesn't hurt anyone then
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are two instances where I'd want to revive someone in a Skirmish:

1) It's a long walk to the fight. Clicking release is likely going to get you back into the fight faster than waiting for someone to revive you in many cases.

or

2) Getting them back on their feet will prevent a party wipe. This is often tied into the previous point, but there are a few other situations where getting a specific team member back on his/her feet is critical in preventing a wipe.

In a Dungeon on the other hand, I'll revive unless I have an important task that prevents me from doing so (ie. keeping certain enemies occupied).

And in non-team content (ie. normal zone solo questing) I'll only ever revive if there's absolutely no danger to me, the person in question didn't try to grab some quest object/mob from me and (s)he is not spamming. The solo content is easy enough that you should be able to handle any of it as long as you keep within 2 levels and don't play stupidly.
  • Options
    niknikateenniknikateen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I will revive someone if it does not put me in danger. I would rather have one person down instead of two.
  • Options
    vcekvcek Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i usually revive players if its possible, ie no enemies near(especially more than one). They will run and defeat you or interrupt the reviver so its useless.

In dungeons however, i always turn on unstoppable(im GWF) and revive party members, for my and the team's sake.
  • Options
    jinadujinadu Member Posts: 65
    edited February 2014

Why do you die so much bro?

Not many people have the tolerance to keep reviving som1 whos constantly dying.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As a Hunter...I find Forest Ghost to be an excellent skill for rescuing those gasping on their last breathe while in the middle of a frenzied hornets nest. :)
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Depends on situations. If there is a reasonable chance that I will die too in the process (crossroads of red circles) then I will refrain. Another thing is the "F" glitch. Too often you come very close to the dieing guy and no "Press F to interact" ever wants to appear.

As for me when dead I tend to think it was entirely my mistake and I quickly hit "release", except in a final boss fight in which case I will let the timer countdown. But I will not hit "Help".
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    norsemanx wrote: »
    I used to try talking in party chat to be friendly but never got responses

You know that the party chat is bugged and the first sentence you type vanishes without anyone ever seeing it. Maybe they did answer something.
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If your asking about pvp then I wont revive someone unless there are no enemies around, otherwise there will be two downed players. Some people get super pissed about that but its just common sense.
  • Options
    theheroshieldtheheroshield Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    FYI: I play a Tank GF (yes, pity me, I know XD)

Reviving:

In PVP--I only ever revive if either the players on the opposing team are far away (I love using Bull's and Frontline for this) or they're running for it. Also if I have another teammate that can soak up some damage while I revive you. But if there's enemies close by and I'm alone I tend to let them to release...really it's just adding to the body count at that point. And the campfire is never that far away so why bother?

In Skirmish--Really? The campfire is so close and injury kits are so cheap. I hardly see the point. If you're near by and there's only a few enemies around I'll probably do it, but if I'm in a sea of red and I'm what's keeping the enemies from swarming our teammates you'll have to make the walk from the campfire. Seriously, I've got a job to do.

In Zone Questing--I'll do it if there's no serious danger to myself. Again, the campfire is generally not far and there's little to lose when you have to spawn. But I do like helping out, and have done it on a number of occasions (this happens fairly frequently with DCs and CWs and I usually get a 'thanks' afterwards, which always makes me feel good).

In Dungeons--This is more complicated. Outside a boss battle I will try to revive you, but I'll be keeping an eye on the mobs primarily. Tanks really aren't the best class for reviving as we tend to draw the enemies to you. Sometimes it's just easier for everyone to let you spawn again. I mean being rezed and then dying shortly after is pointless. In a boss battle I will almost always go for a res. Most boss battles are wipes if there are less than four. I will only leave you alone if I'm swarming with mobs and I'll just get us both killed. I tend to try to draw the enemies away in those cases, tabbing and Enforced Mark to peel them off so the others can get to you.

And yes, spamming the chat box with HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP makes me not want to save you. I'll still do it, it's not worth a party wipe just to spite you and your incessant begging, but it's the price I'm willing to pay. Once or twice is totally acceptable and I always do that myself.

In what cases I will NOT revive you:

-You are a jerk and letting you die won't severely impact the team (aka not in a boss battle, not in the heat of a particularly tough run with some mobs, etc.)
    -You are an idiot and die over and over again (I once revived a guy three times in the one battle--he kept respawning and running into the middle of the fight so I let him stay down after the fourth time)
    -Doing so will definitely kill me. If I might die, sometimes I will still save you--partly because I'm noble n' **** but also because the timer starts over with me now. Hopefully someone can get to me too.
    -Someone is already on their way to you. Like I said before, I can easily see that and will try to draw the enemies away instead.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ever watch "Enemy at the Gates" ?

Near-death people are excellent bait. Both I, know it, and the enemy TR knows it.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    in pvp when theres a big cap battle goin on i wish people wouldnt res as invariably we both die....