test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Curious about alchemy, do we have a guess what the % success is for experimentation?

teflondon75teflondon75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I just started alchemy and see it's a lovely RNG type deal instead of how other crafts are. I've sat here and done about 8-9 rank 2 experiment's now and nothing. I won't go into how much I love RNG systems added to, well, anything in MMO's so I'll just ask have the dev's ever stated or anybody taken some stats for a good educated guess?

Second and more likely the important question: Is alchemy worth it? I've seen some people saying beyond rank 7/dyes etc it's hardly worth it as the decent pots are quite expensive. I'll likely continue anyhow as I'm stubborn. RNG kicks my ***, expect a reply from me in 6 weeks when I've finished haha :D Thanks all!
Post edited by teflondon75 on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    From the experience of maxing alchemy on multiple characters (because once you're established at it, it is the absolute fastest profession to level up), approximately one in three experiments succeeds in the big picture.

Now is a really great time to invest in alchemy because the assets will be extremely affordable (alchemy pack in lockboxes). It's also my route to get my speed bonus (4x blue alchemists on the very first research task = about 15 minutes) and rank 3 result (purple tools x3 + 1 blue tool + a batch of whatever until I get 10 potions or 6 dyes) crafting slots unlocked.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • manplowmanplow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In my experience, experimentation seems to work just a little under 50% of the time. You have to pay attention if you're doing it from the gateway though, because when you collect the results, the window doesn't display the Basic Alchemical Knowledge or the recipe sheets. You still get them, as you can see your knowledge count if you look at the research task, but if you're not paying attention you might not realize this and keep wasting resources on useless experiments. Every time you complete an experiment, look at your research task so you don't miss anything.
    Warrior Nation. Always recruiting. Check us out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Like a snow plow, but for people.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Unless the RNG hates you. In my case I spent two weeks stuck at rank 3 alchemy doing between 4 and 5 experiments a day. In the month+ since then I've managed to get to rank 10. And am now stuck again on something well over 20 tries with no progress.

So far, on both of the two characters I'm bothering to try it on, it is the slowed to level up skill. It is substantially slower than leadership.

I loathe the random nature of this profession.
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    *thumping of cane*
    *wooden shoes clamp together*
    *cough*

You young whipper snappers have it easy...

Why, in MY DAY we had to do make Aqua Vitae one at a time; We couldn't even do Alchemy in the gateway; We often LOST our experiments in the gateway when it finally did work and GF's couldn't even USE a Potion of Stamina.

Kids these days... pfft.

EDIT:

Little talked about secret, higher +% Quality Alchemists help increase your chances of success. Back when Alchemy came out in June several people noted having better success chances using Alchemists, Master Alchemists and Grandmaster Alchemists. After doing Alchemy for 4 toons to level 20, I have to agree that there is something to it.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad