test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Both epic/legendary mount being beetle is in bad taste

veramis1veramis1 Banned Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Most people would prefer the emperor beetle appearance, but this legendary mount is much rarer than the epic mount. Judging by the dozens of thayan books and giant beetles being found but no emperor beetle yet since I logged in to new patch, the vast majority of people are going to get the aesthetically inferior one and really who wants to ride on the bland looking beetle?

I'm quite sure I speak for the majority of people when I say it would've been better if the emperor beetle didn't exist but its appearance given to the giant beetle, but nooo... cryptic wants to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off everyone. I predict the ugly giant beetle will be the record lowest cost epic mount in the game within the next 24 hours.
Post edited by veramis1 on

Comments

• Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    never liked all mounts :D but there are people who do like it.
    so, don`t see what the fuss is about ;p
  • Options
    vaerthvaerth Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Could have done a raptor or lizard. Why no reptiles? I would also like to see a scorpion...
  • Options
    almireldignoralmireldignor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm waiting for the tornado mount. It''ll happen.
  • Options
    laeaornyalaeaornya Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've got my unicorn, so I'm set. Unless the emperor beetle actually brings something to the table other than good looks.
    nwo-banner_zpsa70beece.jpg
  • Options
    ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The whole point is that it will be rare. It would not make sense for it to be Legendary if everyone was riding one.
  • Options
    tangodiotangodio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0
    edited February 2014
    The whole point is that it will be rare. It would not make sense for it to be Legendary if everyone was riding one.

Exactly...
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    veramis1 wrote: »
    Judging by the dozens of thayan books and giant beetles being found but no emperor beetle yet since I logged in to new patch, t

I saw a few of the Emperor beetles drop but for some reason the Admin message wasn't spamming my screen when they did , I just saw it in my chat box , the regular beetle and Thayan book admin messages were showing up though.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    AQ called they want the bug mounts back....

Out of interest what makes these legendary? I didn't see anything about speed other than for the purple version.

If it's faster I can see the pvp crowd maybe taking an interest but unless zones get a lot larger or cryptic give a stables option I see no need whatsoever to chase any of the mounts that come from boxes or festivals as I already have a great big spider to use.

The glove from the box thing sounds interesting but somehow I doubt it'll have any real effect on droprates from the chest.
  • Options
    tangodiotangodio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0
    edited February 2014
    AQ called they want the bug mounts back....

Out of interest what makes these legendary? I didn't see anything about speed other than for the purple version.

If it's faster I can see the pvp crowd maybe taking an interest but unless zones get a lot larger or cryptic give a stables option I see no need whatsoever to chase any of the mounts that come from boxes or festivals as I already have a great big spider to use.

The glove from the box thing sounds interesting but somehow I doubt it'll have any real effect on droprates from the chest.

The speed is the same, only the rarity make it yellow.
  • Options
    unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Saw plenty of beetle mounts in the last MMO I played, granted they were limited to the games half Human/Beast race but there were still a lot. And why are people QQing about the mount not being faster because it's 'legendary'? I think Cryptic should be applauded for not giving into the whole 'lets make super rare items that only people with buckets of money could get so they get the advantage over everyone else'. I've seen too much of that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in other games.
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I have personally experienced truly terrible drop rates for this lockbox on both mounts and the artifact (drop chance of less then 1/236 for each) so i would advise steering clear of it.
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Saw plenty of beetle mounts in the last MMO I played, granted they were limited to the games half Human/Beast race but there were still a lot. And why are people QQing about the mount not being faster because it's 'legendary'? I think Cryptic should be applauded for not giving into the whole 'lets make super rare items that only people with buckets of money could get so they get the advantage over everyone else'. I've seen too much of that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in other games.

However many people complained that the new Legendary mount wasn't faster, multiply that by 1000 to reach the level of complaining it if was set to, say, 140%.

"Oh, look at this Cryptic cash grab, now everyone needs a new mount for PvP!"

"Even bigger divide between the haves and have nots now!"

"What about all of us that spent real money on a purple mount in the Zen store!?!"

"There they go, devaluing the <insert pack name here> that so many people spent money on."

Etc., etc.
  • Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It would be interesting to watch Bug Wars < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE-LMPHR_TY >, Which BEetle would win??

Or a Rust Monster v's Beetle!!
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    twstdecho wrote: »
    However many people complained that the new Legendary mount wasn't faster, multiply that by 1000 to reach the level of complaining it if was set to, say, 140%.

"Oh, look at this Cryptic cash grab, now everyone needs a new mount for PvP!"

"Even bigger divide between the haves and have nots now!"

"What about all of us that spent real money on a purple mount in the Zen store!?!"

"There they go, devaluing the <insert pack name here> that so many people spent money on."

Etc., etc.

Yeah I have to agree , I'm glad they didn't add a extra tier of speed , it would have been sooo painful dumping my heavy inferno due to lack of storage , the only reason I even chipped in on yesterdays discussions concerning the new mount was over the fact they should have just stuck with calling it epic and just added one of the yet unreleased companions to the lockbox
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Drop rates on my test...

Artifact .1%
    Giant Beetle .15%
    Legendary Beetle - too low to measure.

That said, it could be an inadequate sample size or something...

I pulled an inferno from the nightmare box yesterday, i'm riding that, and i'm happy.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    All these fantastical mounts are really taking a huge wizz on the Monster Manual and D&D in general...lets just put Drizzt and Elminster companions in the Zen store. It wouldn't be bad if these mounts were ultra rare but when you see twenty five Andahar's in Protectors enclave...it just takes a lot away from the game I think.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    almireldignoralmireldignor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    All these fantastical mounts are really taking a huge wizz on the Monster Manual and D&D in general...lets just put Drizzt and Elminster companions in the Zen store. It wouldn't be bad if these mounts were ultra rare but when you see twenty five Andahar's in Protectors enclave...it just takes a lot away from the game I think.
    Welcome to MMO gaming, where nothing is unique and lore doesn't matter.
  • Options
    sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I got lucky and got an Emperor Beetle, but i honestly do not like the looks xD and other than its gold rarity, it has no other perks. So unless you want to stand out or just genuinely like the looks of it, there's no real point to getting one.
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

• Options
    alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Neverwinter is based on D&D 4e, which already "takes a huge whizz" on D&D in general. Neverwinter, thus, is working as intended.
  • Options
    ioraruaiorarua Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I just wanted the book of the dead, 40 keys later no book of the dead. Hold me, i'm crying tears of anguish and blood...
  • Options
    chantola21chantola21 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sasageru wrote: »
    I got lucky and got an Emperor Beetle, but i honestly do not like the looks xD and other than its gold rarity, it has no other perks. So unless you want to stand out or just genuinely like the looks of it, there's no real point to getting one.

how many lockboxes did you open?
  • Options
    chantola21chantola21 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    iorarua wrote: »
    I just wanted the book of the dead, 40 keys later no book of the dead. Hold me, i'm crying tears of anguish and blood...

according to the test above, you need to open about 1000 lockboxes before getting a book.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I feel for you , this is one mistake I learned a long time ago while I was still playing games hosted by Aeria , if you want a specific item just save your cash and buy it outright , never gamble in hopes of getting lucky , the odds are always in the houses favor .
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    In my experience, buying lockboxes has been a break-even adventure in terms of AD over a short amount of time.

Basically I found the filler rewards, depending on which lockbox you opened, results in an even amount of AD out as you put in when you open 20-50 lockboxes. This requires you to look at it from a business-like perspective (the way you get rich on video games anyway) and quantify the value of every reward you get excluding the rare and trade bar rewards.

If you think the items within the box are free and only count big ticket items you will lose money. But if you look at everything as having a return value you will not only break even but actually make money.

Especially when you do get the big rewards.

In short the big rewards are the rare bonus. You will not save money throwing 50 dollars into keys. You will not get that one item you want. You will, however, not generally lose that 50 dollars and will likely get a return of 50-70 dollars even if you do not get a big ticket item.

So I agree with imsithy's recommendation. While the lockboxes actually do put more money into your pocket than they take out the odds of getting the exact item you want is minuscule.
  • Options
    zengiahzengiah Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I lost 1m AD because I just got <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Bought 70 keys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ^A fellow victim^, I'm going to take smithy's advice and save up my AD, it's 3 mil though and I only have 500k --_--
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ^A fellow victim^, I'm going to take smithy's advice and save up my AD, it's 3 mil though and I only have 500k --_--

Its price is dropping quite nicely , I just logged off and the cheapest BO was 2.75 million.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    imsmithy wrote: »
    Its price is dropping quite nicely , I just logged off and the cheapest BO was 2.75 million.

Okay thanks for letting me know bud, I'll check it daily and try grab it if it drops to 2mil
  • Options
    hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would just sell my Emperor Beetle for AD if I got one. I like my horse mounts from Feywild and Legend packs.

Best $120 I ever spent.
    2 fast mounts, 2 epic companions for ALL characters and 1M 200K AD...plus some extra goodies
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • Options
    hooli78hooli78 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Anyone else think that Cryptic was making a John and Yoko joke with the mounts? John Lennon being the Giant Beetle, and Yoko the Emperor Beetle. I want a yellow submarine mount.
This discussion has been closed.