test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF lack of a proper dodge/shift

dllindsey12dllindsey12 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
as the title says, i noticed that this class has a lack of a proper dodge. sprint is very nice if you want to run and catch up to some mob and run away from something...but trying to dodge the red circle on the ground is almost impossible to do. anyone else feel the same way?
Post edited by dllindsey12 on

Comments

• helloz2helloz2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 205 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Yea sprint is awesome, but sometimes you get hit even when you sprint out of the reds.

You might want to use Mighty Leap which could be used to dodge reds, but that also means wasting an Encounter slot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dllindsey12dllindsey12 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    yeah but as you said...that would be a waste of an encounter slot.. :/
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is something some levelling or undergeared or inexperienced GWF's say every once in a while.

However, many times on a GWF you don't want to sprint out of red aoe since taking damage is your main way to gain Unstoppable, which in turn reduces further damage to you and is a large damage buff.

For all the other times when you do need to sprint,
    • Tip 1: you have to learn to differentiate between tankable aoe and dangerous aoe and build your character so as to be able to soak just enough damage to help you. There is a reason why GWF's are given the most HP on gear sets and large defensive flexibility.
    • Tip 2: you also have to learn not to use up too much of your Stamina bar from wasting Sprint. The previous point helps you with that as well as using tricks like just starting to move and "tap sprint"early in and out of aoe (*).
    • Tip 3: the Encounter Mighty Leap can be used to dodge serious aoe or if you are kiting many mobs with dangerous CC.
    • Tip 4: the Daily Avalanche of Steel can also be used make you damage and CC-immune (though not against certain boss abilities for the latter).
    • Tip 5: GWF has the highest mobility of all classes. It has other mobility options like Battle Fury (full stamina refill), Punishing Charge and Savage Advance. At least one entire aspect of the class is built around managing that mobility. So, use it when you need it.
    With all these tools, do not expect GWF's to ever be a "dodging class". You simply would not want it, once you understand how the class works and you will sometimes miss them dearly while playing other classes, e.g. the other poor Fighter class whose name I can never remember.

(*) Tap sprint explained:

Often an aoe splat will land, then some players wait just before the actual aoe lands to start sprinting. This will often get them caught anyway, even if they just sprint out of the splat area (this may be due to server desync or client latency or lag). So, they start adapting by sprinting larger distances away, wasting Stamina for when it may be needed for real emergencies later. This habit also can come from having your previous class being a dodging class where it is very advantageous, in general, to dodge as late as possible due to immunity frames immediately after dodging.

Instead, what a GWF can do (or should do in some circumstances), is the opposite: tap sprint earlier after an aoe splat arrives and then sprint back in just as the actual aoe lands or immediately after. You will take no damage or CC then and your target uptime will be noticeably higher, which means more damage or threat done.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Riiiiiight...

So on top of all that defense, all that damage, a Determination based God-Mode that is super-easy to engage that halves incoming damage before it even hits the defense layer as well granting total CC-immunity, three knock-prones which are among the longest duration CCs in the game...

...and now you also want a dodge on top of it?

The impression I get is the system gave the class all the goodies mentioned above so it doesn't require a dodge in the first place. I'd dare venture a comment that if you need dodge on top of all of that, then you're using the class wrong.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Riiiiiight...

So on top of all that defense, all that damage, a Determination based God-Mode that is super-easy to engage that halves incoming damage before it even hits the defense layer as well granting total CC-immunity, three knock-prones which are among the longest duration CCs in the game...

The impression I get is the system gave the class all the goodies mentioned above so it doesn't require a dodge in the first place. I'd dare venture a comment that if you need dodge on top of all of that, then you're using the class wrong.
    Only true for IV Sentinel GWF. For everyone else, not all of that applies.
  • trippysmurf1trippysmurf1 Member Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Riiiiiight...

this /10char
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like red circles, some of them I even like on a destroyer build. More determination is good, worst that happens from them is I need a health potion.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I have found out that with a DC in party, there is really never a good reason to get out of aoe because there isn't much at all that can burst an iv sent down enough in one shot to kill you. Slam is also your friend when really called for. Playing the super mobile type of gwf, punishing charge is pretty much an "at-will"- it has multiple charges, a fast cd, and allows you to actually run right through a boss or whatever you are tanking. In fact, something that is a little annoying in a good way is the dc who focuses you so that between them and the multiple innate self-healing abilities and defense, you never even get to use unstoppable, when really you want to be in unstoppable as much as possible. The really good dc's know that all you need is a little augmentation of your self-healing so you are never low enough in health to be bursted down by a massive damage spike, yet not heal you so much that you can't go unstoppable. On a side note it is kind of funny how the same 'level' of players despise iv sents in pvp yet are more than happy to have them in pve.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    I have found out that with a DC in party, there is really never a good reason to get out of aoe because there isn't much at all that can burst an iv sent down enough in one shot to kill you. Slam is also your friend when really called for. Playing the super mobile type of gwf, punishing charge is pretty much an "at-will"- it has multiple charges, a fast cd, and allows you to actually run right through a boss or whatever you are tanking. In fact, something that is a little annoying in a good way is the dc who focuses you so that between them and the multiple innate self-healing abilities and defense, you never even get to use unstoppable, when really you want to be in unstoppable as much as possible. The really good dc's know that all you need is a little augmentation of your self-healing so you are never low enough in health to be bursted down by a massive damage spike, yet not heal you so much that you can't go unstoppable. On a side note it is kind of funny how the same 'level' of players despise iv sents in pvp yet are more than happy to have them in pve.

Healing has nothing to do with unstoppable. its based on damage taken.
  • dysillusiondysillusion Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sprint actually does work awesomely for dodging red circles, you just need good reactions. i'd also quote from kweassa 'The impression I get is the system gave the class all the goodies mentioned above so it doesn't require a dodge in the first place' yet still sprint is an awesome dodge if you are intelligent enough to, well, breathe.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    we dont need dodge, we have adamantine balls that let us absorb incoming damage into more awesomeness
    Paladin Master Race
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Slap on a pamper. Stand in a red circle. Take it like a GWF should.
    va8Ru.gif
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sometimes I feel like I could use a dodge, especially seeing how there's plenty of bull**** that just ignores unstoppable and immobilizes/knocks you down anyway.
    edited February 2014
    Yeah let's give the strongest class in the game something that makes them stronger. Why don't we just make them immune to damage during unstoppable and make determination gain 100% from every hit while we're at it.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Healing has nothing to do with unstoppable. its based on damage taken.

I'm bugged then, with dc in party I rarely take enough damage to go unstoppable, even tanking bosses.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm bugged then, with dc in party I rarely take enough damage to go unstoppable, even tanking bosses.

It's simply based on any amount of damage received on any defensive layer -- so even if DCs are using temp-HP shielding on you, or even if they just instantly heal off whatever small amount of damage you receive, the collective, set amount will build determination...

...which brings me to another idea on how to tone down GWFs. Maybe let determination only build up on damage receoved on "true-HP", and not "temp-HP" layers.

We'll just have to see what mod3 brings.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • spacebux66spacebux66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014

AS gives you a +DR buff. 20% IIRC. So you take less. Clerics have some damage debuffs for enemies too. Which again would slow your Determination gain.

As problems go though, that's a pretty good one to have.
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah GWF shouldn't dodge. You're doing it wrong.

GWFs are built to stand their ground and take it like the warrior they are. Basically a GWF gets stronger the more damage they take.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I'm bugged then, with dc in party I rarely take enough damage to go unstoppable.

Even without a DC. Sharandar or Dread ring solo quests, Unstoppable can only be activated *after* the fight is over. For the onlooker it sure must look weird to see a gwf going unstoppable only between the fights. "This gwf is trolling the game", the onlooker will think.
    English is not my first language.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 568 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Only dodge the knock backs. Everything else just makes you angry.

And they wouldn't like it when you're angry.
    as the title says, i noticed that this class has a lack of a proper dodge. sprint is very nice if you want to run and catch up to some mob and run away from something...but trying to dodge the red circle on the ground is almost impossible to do. anyone else feel the same way?

Trust me: when you reach level 60 and get T2 or better gear, you'll be looking for red circles to stand on so you can build determination quickly - good geared GWF are pretty much unkilable in PvE.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    vortix44 wrote: »
    Even without a DC. Sharandar or Dread ring solo quests, Unstoppable can only be activated *after* the fight is over. For the onlooker it sure must look weird to see a gwf going unstoppable only between the fights. "This gwf is trolling the game", the onlooker will think.

I find a lot of it on my IV sent is her deflection and defense. She just... doesn't take damage. S'ok because she doesn't need to pop Unstoppable for any of those fights anyway.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ratharimratharim Member Posts: 65
    edited February 2014
    Agree.
    GWFs also lack the ability to do stealthy teleports which stuns everyone in 100 meters because of GWF's awesomeness.
    Ratharel - stealthy backstabber from the Myth Drannor
  • themaesethemaese Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    GWF is the most unbalanced and broken class i have ever seen in my entire gaming life. You can't ask for nothing more, you should pray not to be nerfed like iran in the nucler dissarm. COME ON cry more
  • ederlandederland Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Dodge?
    No.
    Never.
    Suck it up and swing that huge blade of yours instead.

Dodge... bah humbug!
    Assumptions is the mother of all f***ups
    edited February 2014
    In before this thread gets removed like all the others. GWF is the golden class right now. They can get no nerfs and complaining how OP they are does nothing. Although the complaints probably go unheard because the mods delete all the threads.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    GWFs are very strong, that is not in question.

Threads get removed because certain parties only moan and groan without putting forth any quality thoughts/arguments/data to support the logical fallacies that are their opinions.

Take a guess as to whom I am referencing... :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2014
    knocks are the best and only reason to be a sentinel IV gwf it takes almost no skill to knock because thats all it does.

being able to take a hit is what any gwf is meant to do its such a neadertholic class.

every encounter nay, everything the IV does is meant to knock or help with knocking no ifs, ands, or buts, about it.

all the data in the world wont change this.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    knocks are the best and only reason to be a sentinel IV gwf it takes almost no skill to knock because thats all it does.

being able to take a hit is what any gwf is meant to do its such a neadertholic class.

every encounter nay, everything the IV does is meant to knock or help with knocking no ifs, ands, or buts, about it.

all the data in the world wont change this.

I just want to point out GF's actually have more prones, and that the prones are only part of pvp for IV's. In pve you won't be using takedown or frontline surge that often as there are much better encounters to deal with trash and bosses so this is kind of misleading.
  • tricksterknighttricksterknight Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2014

I cant even imagine trying to fight a GWF who could dodge an attack, they already crazy op in pvp as it is,, in PVE I get but again if the Gear is right you shouldn't have to worry about blocking mobs.