test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Professions

nikolaos06nikolaos06 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
edited February 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Does anyone know what do I need in order to get the rank 3 result and unlock the professions' slot?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    you need some high lvl tasks in weaponsmithing/armorsmithing/etc. that can produce 3 kinds of results + quality increase items(a bunch of purple ones) to get rank 3 result
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    you basically have to complete a rare item craft task with 4+ purple assets. When you look at a craft task it'll say if it has tiered results and the chance you'll get what with what you got slotted. Only tasks with 3 tiers count for this, obviously (so the BiS weapon craft tasks, for instance, do not count).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    killzoneexkillzoneex Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Level 11 or higher RARE tasks (for anything except leadership) and using 4 purple assets will give you a 60% chance of getting a rank 3 result. Cheapest to do this with is Artificing.
  • Options
    cohrockcohrock Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    From what I've seen, Weaponsmithing offers the quickest route (although I don't have a tailor or alchemist). There are level 7 weaponsmithing tasks that deliver +3 weapons, which should open that slot. I'm on the cusp of finding out.
    -- Rich
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Alchemy is the quickest - offers a tier 3 result at level 3, however, your purples (because of this) are very expensive in comparison to the other purple assets.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Weapon Smithing is a good choice if you plan to have several Alts. You can then trade the Purple Stuff to your Alts. to 1) Unlock that Slot, and 2) Make the Fallen Dragon Weapons (which are Bind on Pickup), killing two birds with one stone.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hmm, just had an articer (Engraver) make a rank 3 device. Received notification:

* Collected rewards for assignment "Virtuous Symbol +3."

However, the profession slot for making a rank 3 item remain locked. Bug, or something I misunderstand?
    -- Rich
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    cohrock wrote: »
    Hmm, just had an articer (Engraver) make a rank 3 device. Received notification:

* Collected rewards for assignment "Virtuous Symbol +3."

However, the profession slot for making a rank 3 item remain locked. Bug, or something I misunderstand?

You are misunderstanding. A +3 item is not a rank 3 result.

At higher profession levels, youll discover tasks that can have more then one result. For example, the virtuous icon +6 has three outcomes. The rank 1 result gets you the virtuous icon +6, rank 2 gets you the devoted virtuous icon +6, and the rank 3 result gets you a gemmed devoted icon +6.

With each rank result you can end up with a better item. This is where the high quality tools come in to play. Each tool used offers a bonus to success, increasing your odds to get the higher rank results. With higher quality tools offering larger bonuses. In most cases, to get a 100% chance at a rank 3 item, you will need a full set of purple quality tools.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Well, heck. That's .. going to take a while.

Anyway, thank you for the explanation, sockmunkey. I understand now. In fact, when making "rare" items, I already get a chance for a rank 2 result. It's not a very big chance because my tools are pretty basic. I've seen 8%, 16%, and 24% chances, depending on what tool(s) are being used.

At what point does one start seeing the possibility of a rank 3 result? I'm guessing the rank 2 chance has to get fairly high, maybe 50%?

Can one get all 9 profession slots and start making purple gear without spending real money (or using astral diamonds to buy zen)? Within my first week of play, I had already spent $40 on this "free" game, and I've put a brake on spending more. I've been playing regularly, at least once/day, and have kept the professionals of my four characters pretty busy. They are mostly around level 7, and my characters are in 30s and 40s. Each character currently has three profession slots.
    -- Rich
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You have to spend AD on assets or cash on Profession packs to open the finish with 100% bonus and get a rank 3 result slots.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    cohrock wrote: »
    Well, heck. That's .. going to take a while.

Anyway, thank you for the explanation, sockmunkey. I understand now. In fact, when making "rare" items, I already get a chance for a rank 2 result. It's not a very big chance because my tools are pretty basic. I've seen 8%, 16%, and 24% chances, depending on what tool(s) are being used.

At what point does one start seeing the possibility of a rank 3 result? I'm guessing the rank 2 chance has to get fairly high, maybe 50%?

Can one get all 9 profession slots and start making purple gear without spending real money (or using astral diamonds to buy zen)? Within my first week of play, I had already spent $40 on this "free" game, and I've put a brake on spending more. I've been playing regularly, at least once/day, and have kept the professionals of my four characters pretty busy. They are mostly around level 7, and my characters are in 30s and 40s. Each character currently has three profession slots.

To have a chance at making a rank 3 result, you need the quality to be over 100%. at 160% quality for example, you have a 60% chance of getting a rank 3 result.

You can open up all slots without spending any zen. You would however need to spend AD in the AH to buy the needed assets or have someone lend you the needed assets.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Fortunately the high end assets dont bind to you. So they can be used then resold on the AH or passed to alts.
  • Options
    scoutmasterjscoutmasterj Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mystagogue wrote: »
    Alchemy is the quickest - offers a tier 3 result at level 3, however, your purples (because of this) are very expensive in comparison to the other purple assets.

I bought two purples and two blues for Alchemy. Once I hit level 3, I wait for the first rare batch task and then give it a whirl. Since the task is low level, I just keep finishing early until I hit the rank 3 result. With 2 blues and 2 purples, you have a 28% chance. It usually takes 5-6 tries but only costs like 4K-6K per try. I've done this on 6 characters. I even let my guildmates borrow them too. Eventually I'll just sell them back on the AH, I'll probably take a small loss, but it was well worth it.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Alchemy tools being expensive isn't strictly true. Crucibles are still cheap, due to being a shared asset with artificing (thus being in more ready supply from older lockbox drops). Since this is the mandatory tool for the lowest level batch brews, you don't even need to look at the others.

Funny, when I bought my alchemy tools, they were unfashionable because everyone was all like, "higher stack sizes... pfft... what use is that?" I've gotten great mileage out of owning a full set.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    When I was pricing purple assests artificing turned out to be the cheapest route although to be honest I didn't look too closely at alchemy since I also wanted a profession I could easily take to 20 and alchemy to me seemed too fiddly. Anyway, I didn't go all purple as I bought a steel file for the last one since the increase in Tier 3 percentage didn't seem to be worth the AD investment to me. The most tries it's taken me so far has been 4 to get the rank 3 result.

And getting to level 11 really doesn't take that long. I'm currently working through my 6 characters to unlock the extra slot. 5 down 1 to go. When one finishes I just mail the resources to my next character. I was thinking of reselling the assets on the AH when done but I'll probably just hold on to them for the inevitable introduction of another class.