test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legal Question!

djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Foundry
Would there be any copyright infringement to recreate Neverwinter Nights in the foundry?

Since it would be impossible to recreate everything and a lot would have to be adjusted, the copy would be incomplete so I'm thinking no...!?

I was looking at the prologue in the campaign editor and I think it's quite feasable, tidious but feasable.

Not sure if my laptop can handle having both open at the same time but will have to see...

Anyway if anyone knows please reply.

Thanks
Djark.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rigelliarigellia Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2014
    Try looking at the Terms of Service? From what I see, there don't... appear... to be any problems? Just as long as you're not making any money out of it of course.

You'd be using wholly Cryptic-supplied objects/environments/materials, so you're not bringing anything in from outside of what Cryptic has given. I'd suggest making it clear that you're making a fan-made recreation
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There are already mods advertised that contain characters from nwn1 and are continuations of it, such as the quest Aribeth's Second Betrayal. That one has been around for some time.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rigellia wrote: »
    Try looking at the Terms of Service? From what I see, there don't... appear... to be any problems? Just as long as you're not making any money out of it of course.

You'd be using wholly Cryptic-supplied objects/environments/materials, so you're not bringing anything in from outside of what Cryptic has given. I'd suggest making it clear that you're making a fan-made recreation

Would the tips be considered digital currency payment although not required to play the content?

Also was not afraid of breaking PW TOS but bioware's copyrights.
  • rigelliarigellia Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2014
    djarkaan wrote: »
    Would the tips be considered digital currency payment although not required to play the content?

Also was not afraid of breaking PW TOS but bioware's copyrights.

I'm doubtful about the tips being a problem. If they were, I think all Foundry quests would be subject to that same legal problem.

Your second point, on the other hand, is much more of a concern. I thought NWN fell under PW's copyrights as, you know, this game is called Neverwinter. If that's the case... yeah, it's a bit grey to me.

What's for certain though, is you will not get a shot at being featured or spotlighted since they only feature/spotlight original IPs.
  • antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    djarkaan wrote: »
    Would there be any copyright infringement to recreate Neverwinter Nights in the foundry?

Since it would be impossible to recreate everything and a lot would have to be adjusted, the copy would be incomplete so I'm thinking no...!?

I was looking at the prologue in the campaign editor and I think it's quite feasable, tidious but feasable.

Not sure if my laptop can handle having both open at the same time but will have to see...

Anyway if anyone knows please reply.

Thanks
    Djark.

You won't get arrested for it, put it that way! :p
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, first of all, preparing derivative works of copyrighted works, at least where there is some copying, that is copyright infringement. However it seems you aren't going to actually "copy" things.

Secondly would be trademark issues - but that's a likelihood of confusion test, whether or not theythink it's official or not, and in this case probably not.

But even if it was one of those two things, would they bother going through the trouble to sue you? likely not. and even if they did, would they get any damages? probably not again.

So my guess is don't worry too much about it, and if it is an issue, they might just take down the foundry.
  • sasorassasoras Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    chances are the cease and desist message thing comes first before anything else besides nwn nights has been over or along time now, they don't really have much of a gain doing so.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Heck, I know at least one builder who has a whole campaign literally called DDO adventures, and it still is on the best list. So, now we are talking about borrowing intellectual property from a direct competitor, including places and names. To date, after months, nothing at all has been done about it.

If that does nothing to cause legal eyebrows to raise. I don't expect you have much to worry about.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Legal questions should be sent to customerservice@perfectworld.com
This discussion has been closed.