test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shadowmantle Owlbear Preview Patch Notes NW.10.20140128a.0

panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
New Feature: Gateway Daily Awards
The first time you visit Sword Coast Adventures each calendar day, you will roll a D20 and get a reward based on that roll. After you finish your first adventure each day, you get a bonus reward. After you finish your second adventure each day, you get a bonus reward and are told to come back the next day for more.

Classes and Balance
  • Guardian Fighters: Animations and FX will now completely play for this class similar to all other classes instead of cutting slightly short.

Content and Environment
  • Ambient Sprites in Sharandar will now have proper costumes instead of the hooded skeleton men they were for a short time.
  • Neverdeath: Filial Villainy: It is possible to interact with the Necromancer's Journal near the Clock Tower once again.
  • The Dread Ring Arcane Coffer at the end of a Lair can now only be interacted by one play at a time but will now give rewards based on the gauntlet used to open it and not the lowest quality gauntlet used to open it.

Gateway
  • Collections: You can now check your collection progress on your character sheet. Select the Collections tab on the character page. This works largely as it does in the full client. Tooltips, etc.
  • Companion Index: In Sword Coast Adventures, there are now two buttons next to the Help (?) button. The Hand gives you a list of all the companions you've collected. Clicking on a companion will show why dice that kind of companion can get.
  • Companions will now be synchronized with their proper XP, upgrade and training status in some cases they were previously not.
  • Daily Awards: The first time you visit Sword Coast Adventures each calendar day, you will roll a D20 and get a reward based on that roll. After you finish your first adventure each day, you get a bonus reward. After you finish your second adventure each day, you get a bonus reward and are told to come back the next day for more.
  • Dice Guide: Between the Companion Index and Help tabs is the dice guide. This is the same guide that used to be in the Help menu.
  • The professions page now has more accurate timers.
  • There is now a tooltip to the XP bar on companions so it is easier to tell how much XP they need to reach the next rank.

Items and Economy
  • Axe style weapons now all properly align correctly for Great Weapon Fighters of all races when resting on their backs. No more tilted axe heads.
  • Brutal enchantments now have their own unique icons.
  • Dread Warrior companion no longer displays double Siphon Strike buff icons on players.
  • The Fey weapons previously removed from the Wondrous Bazaar can now be found in the Sharandar store. They remain part of the same collection, so no progress on that collection is lost and the collection can once again be completed.
  • The Icon of Despair in the Throne of Idris Dungeon has had its quality upgraded. This is now a purple item and can be salvaged.
  • The following Level 60 items now list that they can be salvaged: Ring of Angharradh, Cloak of Angharradh, Belt of Angharradh
  • The following crafted weapons can now be salvaged: Gemmed Hunter's Blades +6, Hunter's Blades +6, Blades +6, Gemmed Hunter's Longbow +6, Hunter's Longbow +6, Longbow +6
  • The following items no longer claim incorrectly that they can be salvaged: Cloak of the Sylvan Grove, Ring of the Sylvan Grove

Localization
  • Gateway will now play a companions VO callouts in the appropriate language where available.

Performance and Stability
  • Resolved a very rare client crash that could occur relating to multithreaded timers.

User Interface
  • Auction House search rates have been reduced from 6 every 30 seconds to 4 every 28 seconds. This is a short term fix to help address performance issues that can occur at certain times when using the Auction House.
  • Item tooltip links in text messages such as the Event UI now more reliably show the proper item information.
  • Resolved a few rare cases where statistics could be rounded incorrectly and display a negative number on the Character Page.
Post edited by panderus on

Comments

• Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2014
    This is currently scheduled to go to Owlbear at 4pm PST. Also, I am glad to say that I lied about the GWF weapon alignment issue and the issue was fixed earlier than previously estimated.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What are the implications of this:

"Guardian Fighters: Animations and FX will now completely play for this class similar to all other classes instead of cutting slightly short."?

Does this refer to longer combat animation frames?
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Very nice looking patch , lots of little fixes here that the community have been asking for and the Sword Coast daily awards sound intriguing .
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What about the Dark Forest Orb and other Dark Forest level 60 weapons that still cannot be salvaged?

There was also I think Cloak of the Volcano that incorrectly stated that it could be salvaged

Could a fix for chests be implemented as well similar to Arcane Coffers? If in a dungeon (or on open map) 2 or more players open a chest, everyone sees the same items but only 1 person can take them. And when that happens, often the chest becomes unusable for everyone else (interaction possible but chest opens + closes). Even without any item rolls in progress. Might be more difficult to fix considering chest interaction is timed and it is only considered open after the interaction timer has passed, in which time multiple players may have started that interaction.

Something similar that would be a nice "fix" would be making Profession Nodes self-destruct after successful interaction and at least 1 item having been taken out of them, when interaction is terminated. To prevent players or botters from taking everything except the 6 silver vendor item and thus preventing the node from respawning its contents (meaning the next person several hours later to interact with the node ONLY gets what was left over)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    fondlez wrote: »
    What are the implications of this:

"Guardian Fighters: Animations and FX will now completely play for this class similar to all other classes instead of cutting slightly short."?

Does this refer to longer combat animation frames?

Yes, they were being interrupted early by the system itself due to a bug. That bug is corrected now and the animation and FX times are the same as other classes now.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Some good stuff in there! Thanks guys.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    By any chance, Brutal hunter blades (Hunter ranger's t1 pvp off-hand) can be salvaged in this patch?
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is there a gateway site for Owlbear? I know gateway.playneverwinter is for the dragon and gatewaytest.playneverwinter is for Mimic. What about Owlbear?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    dardove wrote: »
    Is there a gateway site for Owlbear? I know gateway.playneverwinter is for the dragon and gatewaytest.playneverwinter is for Mimic. What about Owlbear?

This is it - https://gatewaytest.playneverwinter.com/
    First D20 rolled a 0 -.-

Panderus , do the Bonus rewards scale up going by the difficulty of the dungeon you do? first roll I got 0 and got some copper , second bonus I got after finishing the first dungeon was a green ring ...
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    imsmithy wrote: »
    This is it - https://gatewaytest.playneverwinter.com/
    First D20 rolled a 0 -.-

That is Mimic, not Owlbear. I'm guessing the version of the SCA on there now has unfinished daily rewards.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    That is Mimic, not Owlbear. I'm guessing the version of the SCA on there now has unfinished daily rewards.

I Hope so , I just tried it out and wasn't very impressed , first bonus was copper second bonus was a green ring.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

That is correct. Owlbear is not currently equipped with full UGC or Gateway capabilities, those features require extra special hardware that our backup test server does not currently have.

Sorry you can't properly test that feature yet. It will probably be updated on Preview mid next week or so if you want to check it out there.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    panderus wrote: »

User Interface
    • Auction House search rates have been reduced from 6 every 30 seconds to 4 every 28 seconds. This is a short term fix to help address performance issues that can occur at certain times when using the Auction House.

How about a better short term fix and stop automatically-searching on Category and Type within Category?

[h=2]Please don't initiate AH search until Search or Sort a column is clicked[/h][h=2]
    The AH is overburdened enough.
    It submits/retrieves search data so many extra times it takes me a couple of minutes to get to the actual search I want.

For example....
    1. Click Category --- search/result 30sec
    2. Click Type within category --- search/result 30sec
    3. Click Sort by expiration -- FINALLY the search/result desired.

The first 2 search/results are worthless net traffic from EVERYONE using the AH.

Submit search on Search Button, or Sort column ONLY.

[/h]
  • Options
    mirv98mirv98 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is there any estimated release date on this patch? I want those Fey Weapons badly. Want the fey saber on my TR, and not holding my breath for the Epic version in Tower of Celadine dropping.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    mirv98 wrote: »
    Is there any estimated release date on this patch? I want those Fey Weapons badly. Want the fey saber on my TR, and not holding my breath for the Epic version in Tower of Celadine dropping.

When a patch is released onto the live test shard it usually comes out the next week on Thursday.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am very happy with all the little fixes in here -- the new enchants having their own icons, the Fey weapons being back, the graphics fixes for GWFs, plus fun new things for SCA which I've recently discovered and have been enjoying...this is good stuff. :D

There are a couple of polite pokes I wanted to make for the next couple of patch cycles:

Pre-mod-2 female characters' eyebrows are still "thick" where they used to be "natural"

"Augment" buff -- I've slotted eldritches into a couple of my companions and I see the Augment buff icon when they're summoned, but the buff's tooltip doesn't show me which stats / how much the buff is for. It would be a nice touch if the Augment buff's tooltip could show that, like the Active Companion Bonuses buff tooltip does. Obviously this is not a big issue, but it would be nice to have!
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So I went to check out any changes to the calendar like I do whenever there is a patch when I look at the top and see that it is actually displaying January for the current month and February for the next month. How can you fix this bug and not mention it in the patch notes?

Also when is the dread warrior companion going to be added to the collection system?
    • Brutal enchantments now have their own unique icons.

That new icon is just a square white box for me.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    How about a better short term fix and stop automatically-searching on Category and Type within Category?

[h=2]Please don't initiate AH search until Search or Sort a column is clicked[/h][h=2]
    It submits/retrieves search data so many extra times it takes me a couple of minutes to get to the actual search I want.

For example....

The first 2 search/results are worthless net traffic from EVERYONE using the AH.

[/h]

that sounds like a long term fix to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »

NOT automatically searching when Category is clicked, and NOT automatically searching when Category/Type is clicked seems "long term?" It ought to be simply deleting TWO lines of source code -- at most. If it's more than that they need to have some serious development discussions and training.
  • Options
    elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Excellent list of fixes, many thanks from this happy GWF!
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2014

For example....

[/h]
    This!
    I actually just logged in specifically to suggest this. The AH should never initiate any search until you click search. All the searches when you first open the AH, and while you are drilling down to a subcategory, and while you are selecting filters are nothing but a waste of resources and an annoyance.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    My live client is completely up to date , so is my Neverwinter preview client so why when I went to have a look on Owlbear this morning did I get a 10 gig download ? I canceled it and restarted it but again it was just under 10 gigs , what's that all about? or is Owlbear a completely different client? soz I'm a total neb about this stuff xD
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It uses a different folder called Beta instead of Live (dragon) or Playtest (mimic)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    imsmithy wrote: »
    My live client is completely up to date , so is my Neverwinter preview client so why when I went to have a look on Owlbear this morning did I get a 10 gig download ? I canceled it and restarted it but again it was just under 10 gigs , what's that all about? or is Owlbear a completely different client? soz I'm a total neb about this stuff xD

It will copy the majority of the stuff it needs from the live or preview server folder. The only thing you will actually download is the new stuff from this patch.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    NOT automatically searching when Category is clicked, and NOT automatically searching when Category/Type is clicked seems "long term?" It ought to be simply deleting TWO lines of source code -- at most. If it's more than that they need to have some serious development discussions and training.

you're making some broad assumptions of how things are currently coded and how it can be fixed based on those assumptions. it's also an unfair assumption to think "if it were that simple, it'd already be fixed" because there is the prioritizing of the fix list. perhaps the current fix is what can be accomplished now due to other priorities. if there were an unlimited amount of developers to work on all bugs, then everything could be fixed all at once and then it would become a case of what they want to provide vs what just doesn't fit in the game. but since there is a limited workforce, what is fixed is limited by priority and possibly the inability to replicate issues to pinpoint bugs.

but lets face it. we don't really know because internal workings of any company is proprietary information that we'll never be privy to unless we work for said company and even then, you would then be under an NDA and couldn't discuss it without putting your job in jeopardy and in between these forums and my job, my job is far more important than sharing proprietary information with the forums. ;)
  • Options
    arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    how about a better short term fix and stop automatically-searching on category and type within category?

[h=2]please don't initiate ah search until search or sort a column is clicked[/h][h=2]
    the ah is overburdened enough.
    It submits/retrieves search data so many extra times it takes me a couple of minutes to get to the actual search i want.

For example....
    1. click category --- search/result 30sec
    2. click type within category --- search/result 30sec
    3. click sort by expiration -- finally the search/result desired.

the first 2 search/results are worthless net traffic from everyone using the ah.

Submit search on search button, or sort column only.

[/h]

yes! 1000x yes!
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    you're making some broad assumptions of how things are currently coded and how it can be fixed based on those assumptions.

Actually, no. A TWO line fix is my worst-case estimate. It could possibly even be fixed by adding a SINGLE line testing a conditional.

Based on 38 years of being a software developer in dozens of computer languages, I'd bet I'm extremely close to dead on.

And the whole reason I posted the suggestion was not to backseat quarterback, but hopefully point out something someone perhaps missed. When you are deep in software coding you occasionally get "blinded" by looking at the same things over and over again. Occasionally a "fresh set of eyes" can do wonders.

I always liked an old parable/quote that said something like...
    "If you have an idea, and I have an idea and we share ideas, we each have two ideas. But if you have an apple, and I have an apple, and you share your apple, then one of us has no apples."
  • Options
    arpemarpem Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Its not a long term fix, its the best suggestion for the AH I have ever seen but wonder why, myself, its not implented. The only MMO I have played where the AH searches on its own and not when the player commands it too, as suggested, when clicking search or sorting by columns.
  • Options
    pitirre34prpitirre34pr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    panderus wrote: »
    [*]The Dread Ring Arcane Coffer at the end of a Lair can now only be interacted by one play at a time but will now give rewards based on the gauntlet used to open it and not the lowest quality gauntlet used to open it.

English is not my language so i might be wrong in what i understood there, but does that mean that it will be like the treasure chest at the end of the lair, as in can't be opened until the player before me get away from it? if it is, cool. And from the rest of that sentence, does it means that those with adamantine gauntlet will have better drops?, I'm asking this second one, because from what i read i understood that the coffer wasn't "using" the current player's quality gauntlet but the player before him. Any chance we wont be getting peridots, rank 3/4 enchantments or, lesser mark of potency 18/20 times with adamantine gauntlet?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    English is not my language so i might be wrong in what i understood there, but does that mean that it will be like the treasure chest at the end of the lair, as in can't be opened until the player before me get away from it? if it is, cool. And from the rest of that sentence, does it means that those with adamantine gauntlet will have better drops?, I'm asking this second one, because from what i read i understood that the coffer wasn't "using" the current player's quality gauntlet but the player before him. Any chance we wont be getting peridots, rank 3/4 enchantments or, lesser mark of potency 18/20 times with adamantine gauntlet?

You are correct and understand the issue perfectly.

As for the Auction Hall changes. We almost did change automatic searching on categories but we did not want to sacrifice current functionality to make a performance change. If the other way is more desired we can try that if needed as you have indicated that may be preferable for at least some portion of our players. I was personally split, I generally make my search criteria then click on a category.
This discussion has been closed.