test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request for a new tool - Timer Object

Comments

• sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Cool idea, we'll look into it!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    celantra wrote: »
    You're right I did forget that instance. Good catch. Then all the more easily integrated into the foundry I would think. I cannot however think of another instance. Since you caught that one maybe you can point out others.
    To restrict myself to strictly quest plot timers there's also Dorothea Linkletter as part of the spellplague questline, specifically when you have to get her through the sewers. If she sees combat she freezes and will turn into "spellplague Dorothea" if you do not feed her some calming potion in time. So while they're not that widely used in official story quest content, timers were part of launch day content and not added later.

Of course every one of the area events such as capturing spies in Blackdagger is also timer based.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sominator wrote: »

In the name of Selune tell me this has been known about before now?!?
    Totally agree. This has consistently shown up on "wish lists" since beta, so hopefully it's fairly high on their priority list by now. Maybe they'll ask for an updated list from us once we get some time to play around with the improvements coming next week.
  • celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited November 2013
    I too had wished for earlier notice, but will be happy to see Som push this one in front of the development team. This has been so needed for so long.
  • builderxbuilderx Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited November 2013
    sominator wrote: »

Finally.....how long it take?
    edited November 2013
    builderx wrote: »
    Finally.....how long it take?

...at least since Foundry Beta (Mar 2013) - so... NINE months now.
    I think I even heard Foundry Alpha had requested it.
  • stratiarstratiar Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Timer Objects = Brilliant Future! /vote
  • kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yes please.
  • adran07adran07 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sign me up for this. We need it so badly it's not even funny.
  • builderxbuilderx Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited December 2013
    I see we had some new items for the foundry - but NO TIMER object - really how hard is it? Timers are the backbone of all modern OS's and programs - you know easy - Please implement one ASAP.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    We definitely need this, I hope we'll eventually get it.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Do you guys use the work around that we use for STO? Ex: mob timers with the push pins close to the player but the individual actors away from the player. Stuff is set to happen with the death of a mob, or if the player can complete a component then the mob doesn't trigger. Thus, there is a timer of sorts that we use in STO's Foundry.

Here's a video on how we do it in STO. I don't know if it's possible in NW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Do you guys use the work around that we use for STO? Ex: mob timers with the push pins close to the player but the individual actors away from the player. Stuff is set to happen with the death of a mob, or if the player can complete a component then the mob doesn't trigger. Thus, there is a timer of sorts that we use in STO's Foundry.

Here's a video on how we do it in STO. I don't know if it's possible in NW.

Yep. In my Old Magic quest I'm using a small C cave to drop Drow Assassins in a pit which has a deathplane -- gives me a pretty steady 2 second pulse -- burns thru encounters quick though, only got 50.

We also can "one-way patrol" mobs into a "friendly" mob killzone - at 7.5fps, extend path to desired long time, and it works.

Neither is ideal. A simple bloody timer/alarm. It's in the core game already.
  • wolfsong84wolfsong84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Signed. :)
  • thylbanusthylbanus Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'll sign on for this. Good idea.
  • chasophiaschasophias Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Same here, i would love to have a timer.
    But the timer has to be connectable to markers, story events and component completions.
    (and levers)
  • casmelakcasmelak Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Consider me signed-up.

This would help a lot.
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Signed and sealed, with an axe. The location of this axe in the near future will depend on various things :D
  • antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Yep. In my Old Magic quest I'm using a small C cave to drop Drow Assassins in a pit which has a deathplane -- gives me a pretty steady 2 second pulse -- burns thru encounters quick though, only got 50.

We also can "one-way patrol" mobs into a "friendly" mob killzone - at 7.5fps, extend path to desired long time, and it works.

Neither is ideal. A simple bloody timer/alarm. It's in the core game already.

How do add a deathplane?
  • lorddayradonlorddayradon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another one of the NWN2 editor features that is lacking in the foundry that I want.
  • guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Signed and officially stamped.
  • say1osay1o Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Signed

I do love the Eldarth timers. They are a workaround, not a timer. They are never exact or consistent. Not to mention dangerous. I have been hurt by these already. (J/K I have not been hurt)
    edited January 2014
    antonkyle wrote: »
    How do add a deathplane?

You don't. It has to already exist on the map. It seems to exist in the Interior Maps -- specifically the Cave rooms, and apparently at differing heights.
    edited January 2014
    say1o wrote: »
    I do love the Eldarth timers. They are a workaround, not a timer. They are never exact or consistent. Not to mention dangerous. I have been hurt by these already. (J/K I have not been hurt)
    1. Not "my" timers - I believe Zovya investigated the concept initially.
    2. Exact? No. Consistent? If done properly.
    3. Dangerous? Difficult/Encounter expensive, but dangerous??
  • almireldignoralmireldignor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Signed. The current methods of simulating a timed event (mob timers, area marker stacking, etc) just don't work well enough to count for a proper timer mechanic.
  • doc4gothdoc4goth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 61
    edited February 2014
    I agree fully we need to have timers. Aside from the ability to be able to implement unique special effects it would also allow us to ensure that foundries meet the minimum requirements to qualify as a Daily Foundry. While there are workarounds to provide a timer function they are not all that reliable and require us to build maps in such a way to accomodate the areas needed for the timer while remaining with the necessary radius of the player for them to work.
    --Doc4Goth

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • retpardenretparden Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Timers are quite needed. Outdoors maps are really hard to make workaround especially when they are small maps.
  • moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited May 2014
    They still haven't added timers to the foundry? lol
  • klkcahboy90klkcahboy90 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would definitely like to have actual timers.

Oh, 2 more days and it is 1 year anniversary of this thread.