test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Disable enchantment visuals

elvalianonelvalianon Member Posts: 331 Arc User
There are many enchantments in Neverwinter and although some might fit our style many others do great stuff but can look horrible. It would be really nice if the player was able to turn of the visuals of a enchantment, just like the cap/hat and necklace.

The main reason I find this important is that when people buy fashion (even with real money) the piece can lose it's charm by a bad looking enchantment. This is not why I see people buying fashion. The very definition of it is to make your character pleasant to look at.

I have started a thread about this before and many people have agreed. Also seen more post about this subject with many support. Still I have seen no replies or changes.

Here is a just a preview of how a enchantment can ruin fashion items
ugly_zpscb6295cb.png
Post edited by elvalianon on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just a slight oppossing view point, the graphics are nice in pvp to see if a player has a soul forge going. It would be a pvp advantage to disable them.

Also I kind of like the effect in your ss, gives it a corrupted by evil power look.

That said I wouldn't mind if the effect was turned off for you and you alone, as long as other players still see your enchantments.
  • Options
    elvalianonelvalianon Member Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have heard that before. But in my opinion being able to see if someone is wearing a enchantment is not of that much use in PVP.

Some have lesser enchantments which you can barely see, or the battle is quite hectic and you don't even have time to see what they are wearing. Besides you cannot inspect their gear too, so why should you be able to see their enchantments?

However they could make it so that you must show enchantments in pvp, but in pve you can chose for yourself to show it or not.

I do not like the look, I do not intend to look evil and this really messed up my fashion and die I spent about 800k on.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    elvalianon wrote: »
    I have heard that before. But in my opinion being able to see if someone is wearing a enchantment is not of that much use in PVP.

Some have lesser enchantments which you can barely see, or the battle is quite hectic and you don't even have time to see what they are wearing. Besides you cannot inspect their gear too, so why should you be able to see their enchantments?

However they could make it so that you must show enchantments in pvp, but in pve you can chose for yourself to show it or not.

I do not like the look, I do not intend to look evil and this really messed up my fashion and die I spent about 800k on.

I concur. As for the argument of others seeing what enchantments I have: use the inspect function. YOUR need or want has no business overriding MY choices of appearance.

Attention Cryptic: I know you have a lot of other, higher-priority bugs to fix and the list grows very long, but this one is (at least to me and, I'm sure many others) is pretty high on my "really, really annoying bugs" list.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    think there was a huge thread regarding this issue somewhere on general discussion. If i;m not mistaken i can go naked in PVP (naked in fashion tab)and you wont see my armor enchant and some of the old enchants mainly SF are so ugly that i wont wear them unless i have to and that only in pvp :P
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good point on how armor enchantments prevent players from buying fashion.

As for PvP, imho, to see others' armor enchantments is not a good reason, and is similar to asking to see others' feats, powers, etc. No one should be made obligate to let others' know his/her armor enchantment.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    +1 mill to this. What is the point of allowing us to (somewhat) customize the look of our characters and then have all that effort made worthless do to an enchant? As it is now I refuse to slot any armor enchants just for this reason. I like the look of my characters, I like the colors I have used and the slight bonus I'd gain from the enchant just isn't worth it to me. Its the same reason why I use a lesser vorpal weapon enchant, I don't want or need some seizure inducing graphic on my weapon. I don't care if it make me look more powerful to other players. How they view my character is not my concern.

And for anyone who want to use the PvP defense I'll just quote myself from another thread like this.
    snotty wrote: »
    For the love of god can we not let another great idea be ruined by the ridiculous notion of how it'll affect PvP?

It truly boggles the mind when I constantly read about how PvP "is all about skill and tactics" then read a bunch of posts from people crying about how they should be able to know what the other person has. Nevermind the fact that you cant tell which rank enchantments I have or the fact that I can wear fashions to hide my armor or the fact that I can already disable my helm and cape visuals. No, the game breaker here obviously is the fact that you wont know what weapon/armor enchantments I have.

How will the game ever survive.
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    yes, I hate the look of soulforged too. The above picture in particular looks like a medieval version of Carrie after the prom. it should be revised.
  • Options
    junichiroujunichirou Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes. This suggestion. I like it. MOAR!
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ability to disable weapon, armor, shirt and pants graphics would be great, or at least give more options on shirts and pants as they are really really dull.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I'm of two boats, and in my mind, two differing viewpoints:

- In PvE, it doesn't matter what you look like. Allow players to customize, hide, replace and alter any part of their gear. Allow them to turn off their enchantments, or choose a lower level. It's your character, made as you see fit.

- In PvP, it *MAY* matter. I'm a long-time EvE player, so intel gained from viewing your opponents is critical, down to what weaponry they are using. That said, NWO isn't that complex. But to meet in the middle, simply disable ALL alterations during a pvp match, including any weapon and armor transmutations, as well as fashion gear. Maps over, go back to the look you want.

In my mind, PvP needs to be all or nothing. Forcing enchantment visuals while allowing for fashion gear or transmutations is really half-assed.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    valdred123valdred123 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My greater vorpal is bugged with certain weapon appearances (block of pixel artifacts around hilt, its a known problem). If they are not going to fix it, then at least having this option would suffice, regardless of pvp advantage.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    again, there is no real PvP advantage to disabling the visuals for weapon/armor enchantments. This is at best a myth. Sure for the lazy player that doesn't want to check gear, they wont now which enchants you have until they proc but even then, you're talking about maybe a few minutes of play time after which you'll know for the rest of the match.

But as I said, there is no real PvP advantage. I mean seriously, if you can survive a match not knowing which gear I have on do to me wearing fashions or survive a match not knowing if I have R4s or R10s slotted, can you really say that not knowing from a distance which weapon/armor enchants I have would really make the difference in the outcome of a match?

And not to mention, isn't not knowing what you're going to face part of the fun of PvPing? There are so many things you already don't know when the match starts. Is that TR a permastealth , high regen or glass cannon build? Is that GWF a godly sent, destroyer or IV build? And the same goes for pretty much every class. Is that a hardcore or casual PvPer? Do they have a common or epic mount? Is the other team a premade or a PUG?

Im sorry but try as you might no one will ever convince me that not knowing what weapon/armor enchants someone has will ever be game breaking.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Myself and the other moderators have asked for this feature to be implemented for months.
    Obviously enchantments would have to appear in PvP but for PvE cosmetics should come first in my opinion.

Sominator did reply to one of these types of threads and said he wasn't sure if it was possible but the devs would look into it. :)

This isn't a feature on Preview. As such it has been moved to the General Discussion.
  • Options
    eadgyteadgyt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Would it be hard to tie the weapon/armor enchants to combat and "agro", so that they don't show up otherwise? Then they'd still be visible in action and pvp, but not tarnish a chosen look/fashion otherwise.
  • Options
    msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    elvalianon wrote: »
    There are many enchantments in Neverwinter and although some might fit our style many others do great stuff but can look horrible. It would be really nice if the player was able to turn of the visuals of a enchantment, just like the cap/hat and necklace.

The main reason I find this important is that when people buy fashion (even with real money) the piece can lose it's charm by a bad looking enchantment. This is not why I see people buying fashion. The very definition of it is to make your character pleasant to look at.

I have started a thread about this before and many people have agreed. Also seen more post about this subject with many support. Still I have seen no replies or changes.

Here is a just a preview of how a enchantment can ruin fashion items
    ugly_zpscb6295cb.png

This is exactly why I never wear my beautifully dyed elven fashion!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    +16 (+ 1 for every of my 16 toons)
    SF is beyond ugly, other enchantments are not much better.
    How is it an advantage in pvp if everyone can hide the enchantments?
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Signed. The ability to choose the visuals of an enchantment (much like you can choose the visuals of a companion) would be nice. I like the sparkles I get with the normal vorpal enchantment but not the seizure inducing visuals of the greater vorpal. Likewise, I don't like the evil/necromantic look that soulforged provides. I rarely PvP so I don't care what is done there unless it inhibits my choices in PvE.
  • Options
    radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wait until you equip a Negation Enchantment? They you glow all over the place..........+100 to this as I would love to disable the visuals on that enchantment.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Perhaps a valid compromise would simply be to have the effect off and only display when it procs. Or for constant effects only while your character is in combat.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Obviously enchantments would have to appear in PvP

Im sorry but could you explain how or why this is obvious? With what I mentioned above in terms of what can be hidden in PvP, please explain how or why enchantment would have to appear in PvP.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I purposely switched barkshield to soulforge because that barky skin on the sides is just hideous. Now I wear black colored outfits so the soulforge doesn't show that much.
    Another option that can be done is to give each armor enchantments a unique symbol to be placed next to everyone's name instead of a visual we now have. For those of you PvPeeps will know right away what they are wearing, even if they are in a wedding dress. :D
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Im sorry but could you explain how or why this is obvious? With what I mentioned above in terms of what can be hidden in PvP, please explain how or why enchantment would have to appear in PvP.

For each enchantment, one would use different tactics against the wearer. If ya can't see what they are wearing than ya wouldn't know what to do:
    Barkshield - toss 3 marshmallows at them then hit'm with your devastating moves.....:confused:
    Soulforge - You can kill'm but expect them to resurrect and 1 hit ya to oblivion.....:eek:
    and so forth.....
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    valwryn wrote: »
    For each enchantment, one would use different tactics against the wearer. If ya can't see what they are wearing than ya wouldn't know what to do:
    Barkshield - toss 3 marshmallows at them then hit'm with your devastating moves.....:confused:
    Soulforge - You can kill'm but expect them to resurrect and 1 hit ya to oblivion.....:eek:
    and so forth.....

If you ask me, it's another reason to HIDE enchants. Would make pvp more fun :p
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Perhaps a valid compromise would simply be to have the effect off and only display when it procs. Or for constant effects only while your character is in combat.

I have characters I want the effects to show on persistently.
    I have characters which I like the lesser or normal level FX better than the higher level.
    I have characters I don't want the effects to show on at all.

It really does need to be an option sort of like companion skins lest you'd be appeasing one group and spiting another.

Pretty much what valwryn said.
    The visuals clue you in how to react to different situations as well as add in an additional layer of strategy.
  • Options
    cenobite451cenobite451 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 87
    edited January 2014
    Just throwing in another +1 here. I hate the looks of my soulforged enchantment so much that I only slot it when absolutely necessary, and eat the 2.5 gold charge to remove it again as soon as I'm done doing whatever it was that made the extra survivability so critical.

It'd be really nice if I didn't have to do that. :p
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    valwryn wrote: »
    and so forth.....

OK this is the most common given reason but IMHO not really a good enough reason to force the visuals on the wearers. Also you pretty much ignored all the other stuff that can be hidden that doesn't seem to affect how players deal with others during PvP. Im going to go out on a limb and say that if you know what armor they're wearing your tactics would change also since obviously you wont need the same tactic that you use on someone wearing T2 gear as your would with someone wearing blue gear. Same goes for normal enchants, Im sure you tactics would change depending if the other guy has r4s or r10s.

So again I ask, can you really say that not being able to tell what weapon/armor enchants someone has would really be that big of a game changer? Not to mention, as I and others have said, I have no problem with the enchants being visible once they proc in combat so the only thing that would really change is a few seconds of fighting before you find out what they have.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Plus applying the term "tactics" to PvP is being incredibly generous. Roughly 98% of PvP is "zerg in, smash with everything", either because you massively outgear your opponents and tactics would be pointless, or because you're in some random clueless pug and tactics are a distant fever-dream.

And for high end, PM vs PM pvp you might as well just assume everyone's got a soulforged, because pretty much everyone does.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    The armour and weapon enchants should be transmutable. This way a fire mage (MoF) could use a Flaming-transmuted SoulForge, thus having both a nice look and an efficient enchant.
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    komodoonekomodoone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 64
    edited January 2014
    I have to say my DC looked pretty hot before SoulForge.

If PVP is why they are keeping the Enchantment Visuals, they could enable visuals just like they disable pets in PVP.
This discussion has been closed.