Options

Why is DungeonDelve items BoP

chantola21chantola21 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
I don't get it. Why did they do that?
Post edited by chantola21 on

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Balances the economy so things aren't incredibly underpriced.
  • Options
    minzzzzminzzzz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Gobblerrrrrrr
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    chantola21 wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why did they do that?

Folks were getting End Game Dungeon Gear without having to run any End Game. In fact, it was, at one point, assumed that most people would just buy their first full sets off of the A.H. as soon as they hit 60. Essentially, you had to have ALREADY PURCHASED the best End Game gear from a particular Dungeon in order to be accepted into a group to run that Dungeon for the first time.
    It was a great time for those of us who hated Dungeons, and a terrible time for anyone wanting to start doing them for fun.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Folks were getting End Game Dungeon Gear without having to run any End Game. In fact, it was, at one point, assumed that most people would just buy their first full sets off of the A.H. as soon as they hit 60. Essentially, you had to have ALREADY PURCHASED the best End Game gear from a particular Dungeon in order to be accepted into a group to run that Dungeon for the first time.
    It was a great time for those of us who hated Dungeons, and a terrible time for anyone wanting to start doing them for fun.
    Why is it a bad time for those who wanted to do them for fun? I, for example, when I do things for fun, I don't care if there is a reward for it, thus if i'd already bought the best possible drop, I'd run the dungeons just for fun to see what they're like. Being able to get the reward easily would be ideal for me.

Seems to me like the only people who would lose in the scenario where t2 gear is bind on equip are farmers and narcisists who need to feel more elite than those who can't do the dungeons.

So, why was it bad for fun?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    He is specifically referring to people who don't care to do dungeons who also don't really get a lot of Astral Diamonds let alone chances to get the drops from chests.

Which certainly can be counted as problematic but this is where the Sharandar and Dread Ring Campaigns come into effect.

The cold hard truth is that if the best gear is easy to purchase for people who don't do dungeons then it's way too easy for people who do plan on doing dungeons. And during the time before DD Chest rewards were made BoP people would reach level 60, say 'Okay, what now...?' and flood the market with more top items, make a new character or quit the game.

The gear was too easy to get so the end game progression which was supposed to be a fun and moderately challenging gear grind didn't exist. Now you have to earn your gear by doing the dungeons, by doing the campaign tasks or buying it with the AD you accumulate.

And that's better for the game despite any issues it causes for some of the people who don't care for the end game content.
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    im glad I got all my original characters to 60, and was able to buy gear form ah. All the ad from leadership and praying was ample to buy full epic sets for every class.

Basically making them bop now adds grind. oh yay! I like starting out with good gear, then I can play the content I want with the gear I like. Motivation should be for fun content , NOT for gear grinding. That's the lazy way to force people to play.
  • Options
    iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Basically making them bop now adds grind. oh yay! I like starting out with good gear, then I can play the content I want with the gear I like. Motivation should be for fun content , NOT for gear grinding. That's the lazy way to force people to play.

How exactly does add grind? All you did was to run a dungeon, defeat the final boss and get rewarded for your effort (standard MMO model)

And now that you already bought your full epic set from the AH, what do you do with it? Pretty much the same thing but now you call it "fun".
  • Options
    cartivacartiva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have four toons with full T2 gear bought though the AH very cheaply, with earned AD. I rarely play them anymore, unless there is new content to do. Never had to run dungeons. My HR is different now. I actually have to grind the dungeons to get the gear. The AH prices are close to 750K plus per piece. I have not had a problem queuing for epic dungeons and have had some good and bad team runs. Met some good players and learned some good strategies. It has kind renewed my interest in running my other toons through them now.

I find most of the blue gear that drops from leveling has better stats (minus the set bonus) than a lot of the purple gear.

There is a forum post (name?) who has posted a AD earning guide. It explains in detail how to earn AD with no out of pocket monies.
    Keira Taletreader 60 GF 13.9 GS
    Erdan Loreweaver 60 CW 11.3 GS
    Mika Hawklight 60 DC 11.5 GS
    Rukia Stealthfoot 60 TR 11.5 GS
    Ka D'Argo 60 HR 13.7 GS
    Ivan Ironfist 60 GWF 11.6 GS
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    trace's guide to wealth creation? That's the one thing I think your referring too.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?567591-Trace-s-Guide-to-AD-Creation-and-Wealth-Building&highlight=Trace%27s+Guide

There you go.

Oddly enough, the belts and jewelry from DDs are not BoP. If you get yourself a nice necklace or ring, they can sell for a good amount of AD.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    verilosverilos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 77
    edited January 2014
    It's a common tactic by MMO companies to try and manipulate the economy to promote premium currency sales.
    After all, you can't have content that would be too hard for 99.99% of the population they will come here to moan and neither could you have everything cheap because why buy Zen then?
  • Options
    pprandompprandom Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah instead of underpriced items, we have no trading because everything is BoP.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Well the one thing I think they screwed the pooch on so to speak is making crafted items BoP Why craft at all then when you can just run a dungeon to get gear? Makes the entire premise of putting crafting armor/weapons into the game useless.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    wait so crafting gemmed pants/shirts is boP? doesnt seem right.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    wait so crafting gemmed pants/shirts is boP? doesnt seem right.

The only crafted items that are BoP are the reinforced T2 bracers and the Fomorian and Fallen Dragon weapons. So if you want this gear, you do need to level the crafting to make them for yourself. (It is possible that other high end crafting to be introduced in the future will follow the same pattern.)

Any other crafted gear can be traded.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They changed DD chest items to BOP in order to keep the prices of epics up. The question is: what caused these items to be too low in price in the first place? Well, I will tell you. The main reason was that so many of the dungeons were exploitable and allowed for multiple runs etc. This cause a flood of epics on the AH. The solution would have been to fix the exploits, but this is an old story now and many of the exploits have been fixed. Alot of water under the bridge. I am enjoying the game regardless.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • Options
    mithreinmaethormithreinmaethor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is fine to have items be Bind on Pickup but they should Bind to Account and not Bind to Character when they do so.

Also account wide bank slots.

That is all.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Oddly enough, the belts and jewelry from DDs are not BoP. If you get yourself a nice necklace or ring, they can sell for a good amount of AD.
    Unfortunately, a number of the T1 jewelry pieces are all BOP, from the chest or as boss drops. Others are as you describe, BOE regardless of where they come from. Most of them aren't worth more than the salvage price on the AH anyway, but it prevents a player from transferring the item to a character who isn't going to hit the refining cap. And of course T1 drops are still more common than T2 in the T2 dungeons. Of course in the T1 dungeons, you'd just get blue vendor trash instead.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    just did a T1 epic dungeon and I got a purple choice of 3, I though you only got blue?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    just did a T1 epic dungeon and I got a purple choice of 3, I though you only got blue?

You can get blue items if you don't get your choice of T1 set gear.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    killzoneexkillzoneex Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited January 2014

The gear was too easy to get so the end game progression which was supposed to be a fun and moderately challenging gear grind didn't exist. Now you have to earn your gear by doing the dungeons, by doing the campaign tasks or buying it with the AD you accumulate.

And that's better for the game despite any issues it causes for some of the people who don't care for the end game content.

Well the flip side of that is you have tons of folks with all the gear from the past and the expectation that you are fully geared before running any of the T2 dungeons.

Lets also be real, you will not get very far trying to do the T2 dungeons in T1 gear.

So it's kind of a catch 22.
  • Options
    cenobite451cenobite451 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 87
    edited January 2014
    Sure you will. Heck, I got pretty far doing T2 dungeons without T1 gear - as a fresh level 60 my gear score was just barely over the threshold to make it into T2s (thanks largely to Ancient Mulhorand gear), so I more or less skipped the T1s altogether. Managed to pull my weight too. ;)

I'll grant you it made ToS a huuuge pain though. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I do T2 dungeons in blue gear without any issue but even so T1 Dungeons weren't meant to be skipped.

What elitist pugs do and what is the reality of what is possible are two very different concepts.
    You are perfectly capable of doing T2 Dungeons with or without T1 gear so long as you have the gearscore and a decent build.

Doesn't mean the elitist players think so...
    But if you avoid the elitists then you'll find a lot is possible that they don't want to believe.

Note ToS doesn't count because that's nasty even with a fully geared team. Any other T2 is capable of being done at minimum GS.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've beaten everything up through Karru and also MC in T1 gear. The difference in GS between t1 and t2 is about 500 - 550 - comparing HV with Archmage. What's important is that your set bonus helps you and that you have good enchants, rank 5+ and stats appropriate to you class and playstyle. In some cases, blue rings (piercing berserker) could be better than epic rings, if that's what you need to get your Armor Pen up.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    killzoneexkillzoneex Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sure you will. Heck, I got pretty far doing T2 dungeons without T1 gear - as a fresh level 60 my gear score was just barely over the threshold to make it into T2s (thanks largely to Ancient Mulhorand gear), so I more or less skipped the T1s altogether. Managed to pull my weight too. ;)

I'll grant you it made ToS a huuuge pain though. :rolleyes:

That may be true, but it's kind of hard to do them if you get vote kicked out (or half the group leaves) of the majority of groups due to not having a higher gear score.