test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP Jumping needs addressed

astariadodfastariadodf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
Everyone knows how sad targeting is (lashing blades miss, first attack animation lands but does not register, daily goes off but does not register and AP may or may not go.... the list is endless) and there are those that exploit this broken mechanic.

These people (initially started with rogues) use software of mechanical macros to jump continuously in PvP so that even if you are targeted and lined up, the system will likely not register due to poor targeting.

Beyond the obvious (fix targeting issues) put jumps on the stamina meter. Really, this is a no brainer, should have been done in creation. Jumping is not like running or walking. And yes, there are many attacks on several toons that can be done WHILE jumping.

BTW - what gives? Targeting problems are obvious, continuous, and constant. I see it every day when I do my boon maintenance run on all 4 toons. Is it that hard to put out quality?
Post edited by astariadodf on

Comments

• valdred123valdred123 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hmm i haven't had any experiences with this jumping exploit. Are you sure it isn't from them moving out of range, or using stamina to run/teleport to dodge? (only experience I have related to this...) They may be jumping while doing this too....?
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think you need to be more specific OP. This game uses target selection, not direct targeting.
    So it is confusing that you say "even if you are targeted and lined up" because there is no such thing as 'lined up', either the target is selected or it isn't.
    I have seen my ice knife 'bounce back' in pve and pvp in the way you say, but like valdred 123, I have never seen anyone using a jumping exploit. (But I also don't know what valdred123 is talking about either..what is a 'stamina toggle'?)
    I have heard that the explanation for this is 'lag', but I don't really know why lag would make something 'uncast' completely...
    edited January 2014
    izatar wrote: »
    I think you need to be more specific OP. This game uses target selection, not direct targeting.
    So it is confusing that you say "even if you are targeted and lined up" because there is no such thing as 'lined up', either the target is selected or it isn't.
    I have seen my ice knife 'bounce back' in pve and pvp in the way you say, but like valdred 123, I have never seen anyone using a jumping exploit. (But I also don't know what valdred123 is talking about either..what is a 'stamina toggle'?)
    I have heard that the explanation for this is 'lag', but I don't really know why lag would make something 'uncast' completely...

What I meant: running (GF/GWF), the CW teleport etc. 'Stamina toggle' was my attempt at being generic - since each class has there own version of using stamina. Don't know what else to label it as.

I edited that line fyi.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    These people (initially started with rogues) use software of mechanical macros to jump continuously in PvP so that even if you are targeted and lined up, the system will likely not register due to poor targeting.

"These people" are delusional. This is not a First Person Shooter. There is no "targeted and lined up."
    The only thing they are accomplishing is looking foolish.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    "These people" are delusional. This is not a First Person Shooter. There is no "targeted and lined up."

I may contribute to this myth though. If I'm not actively killing something I have a tendancy to bounce and jump around like a chipmunk on speed.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    eldarth wrote: »

let's burn!!
    There were threads around here about this topic and is a known fact that certain advantages are to be taken from jumping. How should i call you?! :o
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Please provide proof of your claims (exploiting, macros, hits not registering on jumping targets) or you're just another guy that hates jumping and wants to see it gone.

I say leave it alone.
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    I may contribute to this myth though. If I'm not actively killing something I have a tendancy to bounce and jump around like a chipmunk on speed.

That's me too when I PvP. I just find jumping while moving more entertaining than just holding down a button; its something to entertain me.
  • abelieverabeliever Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2014
    For the benefit of those who may not be familiar with the why of the OP topic, here is my take on the matter.

The professional PVP players who bunny-hop are not doing it for fun.

They likely do so because they believe it provides them with an unfair advantage over thier opponents.

The jumping/bunny-hopping mechanism tries to confuse the game server as to the hopper's precise location on the game map, causing it to record his opponent's action as a miss when it should have been a hit.

Experts describe it as Quote ".. When players quickly spam the jump button, it throws off the predictive reasoning in the game, resulting in...(something called a)... "de-sync". This manifests itself on your screen as ... your abilities completely missing their target despite the fact that you would swear ...that you were dead center on the target."

And also quote "...(the)... real problem is that players are abusing the mechanic to exploit server code in a way that makes them almost impossible to hit..." (I do not know if this also applies to Neverwinter)

Additionally quote "...Bouncing/hopping is a tactic to exploit the nature of a wide area network, synchronization driven, latency plagued game. It is not a 'standard' combat tactic, it is not a legitimate defense..."

Players who bunny-hop are unlikely to be doing so just for the fun of it. Those who demand that it remain untouched are likely concerned about losing the advantage they believe they have over those who do not, or chose to not use this anomaly. PVP advisers in some guilds actively encourage their members to use the jumping, bunny-hopping gimmick in their game play.

Hopefully, today's developers are aware of this cheezy mechanic and codes apprpriately.

The above quotes are not mine. They have been modified for brevity and reduction of complexity.
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can assure that there is no advantage to jumping in PvP. I can go an entire match without jumping one time and still get 10+ kills and 0 Deaths.

Even if there is an exploit related to jumping how is it an unfair advantage? Can't everyone no matter what race or class jump?
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • nemesaonemesao Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another thread asking to remove or whatever you want to do with jump. There is no proof, we jump cause we like. Does your keyboard dont have 'space'? If you hit it youre gonna jump too, so just chill out, removing jump is the most <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> thing they could do...
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    abeliever wrote: »
    For the benefit of those who may not be familiar with the why of the OP topic, here is my take on the matter.

They likely do so because they believe it provides them with an unfair advantage over thier opponents.

The jumping/bunny-hopping mechanism tries to confuse the game server as to the hopper's precise location on the game map, causing it to record his opponent's action as a miss when it should have been a hit.

Experts describe it as Quote ".. When players quickly spam the jump button, it throws off the predictive reasoning in the game, resulting in...(something called a)... "de-sync". This manifests itself on your screen as ... your abilities completely missing their target despite the fact that you would swear ...that you were dead center on the target."

And also quote "...(the)... real problem is that players are abusing the mechanic to exploit server code in a way that makes them almost impossible to hit..." (I do not know if this also applies to Neverwinter)

Additionally quote "...Bouncing/hopping is a tactic to exploit the nature of a wide area network, synchronization driven, latency plagued game. It is not a 'standard' combat tactic, it is not a legitimate defense..."

Players who bunny-hop are unlikely to be doing so just for the fun of it. Those who demand that it remain untouched are likely concerned about losing the advantage they believe they have over those who do not, or chose to not use this anomaly. PVP advisers in some guilds actively encourage their members to use the jumping, bunny-hopping gimmick in their game play.

Hopefully, today's developers are aware of this cheezy mechanic and codes apprpriately.

The above quotes are not mine. They have been modified for brevity and reduction of complexity.

This stuff is true in OTHER games, but not in Neverwinter. Neverwinter targetting does not work like an FPS. The crosshair does not need to be over the target to hit it; all the crosshair does is select the target. Once a target is selected, you can face any way you want and still be attacking the same target.
    Thus, bunnyhopping is pointless in neverwinter.
    edited January 2014
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    I can assure that there is no advantage to jumping in PvP. I can go an entire match without jumping one time and still get 10+ kills and 0 Deaths.

Even if there is an exploit related to jumping how is it an unfair advantage? Can't everyone no matter what race or class jump?

Your assurance carries no weight, and is therefore useless, and without merit.

The experts have said "...Bouncing/hopping is a tactic to exploit the nature of a wide area network, synchronization driven, latency plagued game. It is not a 'standard' combat tactic, it is not a legitimate defense..."

".. When players quickly spam the jump button, it throws off the predictive reasoning in the game, resulting in...(something called a)... "de-sync". This manifests itself on your screen as ... your abilities completely missing their target despite the fact that you would swear ...that you were dead center on the target."

"...(the)... real problem is that players are abusing the mechanic to exploit server code in a way that makes them almost impossible to hit..."

In deciding between your assurance and the opinion of experts, I come down on the side of the experts.

In competitions, there are referees. They oversee the match, and tries to ensure that the competitors follow the rules. They assign and register points for and against in order to eventually determine the winner.

In PVP matches the referee is the server computer. When one introduces and uses a mechanism aimed at confusing or misleading the server computer, then one is essentially doing so to the referee of the match, thereby winning points by cheating.

It is an unfair advantage when one competitor is trying to mislead the game referee, while his opponent plays fair.
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sounds like a load of bs.

I won't believe it until a dev confirms.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
    edited January 2014
    izatar wrote: »
    This stuff is true in OTHER games, but not in Neverwinter. Neverwinter targetting does not work like an FPS. The crosshair does not need to be over the target to hit it; all the crosshair does is select the target. Once a target is selected, you can face any way you want and still be attacking the same target.
    Thus, bunnyhopping is pointless in neverwinter.

The jumping/ bunnyhopping behavior causes anomalous adverse effects in both MMORP and FPS games.
    edited January 2014
    The positional attack reference is only dependent to the arc and range of the ability executed: there is no speed gain or height exploit from jumping in neverwinter, or in any mmo i've played (not saying I've played a lot). If there was an issue, its a database/programming problem and not so much a network layer problem.

In games where you needed to manually select the target, then it could become an annoyance to select, but then again, you could usually tab key to select closest.

I do recall one game having a speed loss for jumping (can't remember which game), but that would be a pretty weird thing to leverage.

The only purpose I can presume one gains with jumping is frustrating the other player, therefore, an annoying tactic of psychological warfare. :( In my circle of friends, we usually call it 'monkey dancing'.
    edited January 2014
    as long as latency plays a role, adding extra information to be process helps in such things. In this game due to this i;ve met people that were perma invisible dodging even dailies while others that couldnt land a single hit. Can i beat someone with a better ping? NO! and to that adds the fact that some abilities can be cast while moving (by jumping) or with the animation canceled and that in my book is unfair advantage... can this be solved? dont know... is this real? ofc it is!
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Quite honestly, I think this is a bunch of whining and crying. There are so many issues in this game and we are complaining about this.?

/bind mousewheel ++hardtargetlock.

Problem solved. Enjoy.
    edited January 2014
    If a 50-200 ms difference, in an mmorpg, is going to make or break gameplay then there is something else afoot. Also, you can try to argue that there is some oddball data queuing going on with the Neverwinter DB server, but that is not the problem

In the case of the perma-stealth rogue, it's simply working as intended (no technical exploits going on).... so if you come across one, you should ignore them.. let em camp a node and 5v4 the other team for the other 2 nodes. Same goes for other node minded tanks that want to /flex their survivability skills. If you're a geared tanky type and already have the node captured, just run around the node and laugh (and take potshots here and there).... perma-rogue damage usually sucks.

I don't think the issues you stated are an inherent problem with mmo's. More, it sounds like this is a perceived issue that is only derived from opinion and hearsay - No offense.
    edited January 2014
    no, you dont get it. I say this... impact shot - shadow strike i see 2 hits but i dont see anyone :) That kind of latency, that is no exploit but it is latency working same for hiting a skill and getting thrown back to original spot or somewhere in the middle and i have to do it again.
    Anyway... how is leveling valdred?
  • yogokouyogokou Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

They likely do so because they believe it provides them with an unfair advantage over thier opponents. How is this perceived advantage "unfair", as anyone can do it with a click?

The jumping/bunny-hopping mechanism tries to confuse the game server as to the hopper's precise location on the game map, causing it to record his opponent's action as a miss when it should have been a hit. So it is the same as walking left/right i.e.? How would an opponent's action miss in Neverwinter as the target is locked? Or are you talking about a different game?

Experts describe it as Quote ".. When players quickly spam the jump button, it throws off the predictive reasoning in the game, resulting in...(something called a)... "de-sync". This manifests itself on your screen as ... your abilities completely missing their target despite the fact that you would swear ...that you were dead center on the target." Who are these experts and what is their field of expertise? Any references? Would it be different that spamming movement commands? Because I've not seen anyone complaining about that. Maybe changing directions quickly while walking is causing "de-sync" and the devs should look into that too.

And also quote "...(the)... real problem is that players are abusing the mechanic to exploit server code in a way that makes them almost impossible to hit..." (I do not know if this also applies to Neverwinter) Assumptions, then. Who knows the Neverwinter server code and how this mechanic affect it?

Players who bunny-hop are unlikely to be doing so just for the fun of it. Those who demand that it remain untouched are likely concerned about losing the advantage they believe they have over those who do not, or chose to not use this anomaly. PVP advisers in some guilds actively encourage their members to use the jumping, bunny-hopping gimmick in their game play. Where is your data/references? Have you actually played the game and can you tell the strategic difference between using a power while stationary and using a power while repositioning (via jump) or are these simple gameplay mechanics secondary to your perception of latency increasing, and server code manipulation, theories?

The above quotes are not mine. They have been modified for brevity and reduction of complexity. I must thank you for your post. I understand most of these quotes are probably taken from another time and another game and not you, but this Neverwinter theory will provide many laughs for my me and my friends, for a long time.

tenchars ;)
    edited January 2014
    @yogokou
    To start, thank you for your well-thought out response.

With that i mind, the following points should be brought to your attention.
    For confirming to forum readers that bunny hopping provides an advantage, many thanks. Your conclusion that this advantage is not unfair can be debated by others.

Some of the questions you asked can only be answered by the actual creators of the game.

Since footnotes are not a requirement for forum posting, the asking for such is unreasonable, and will therefore be ignored.

If you are as knowledgable in this area of computer/network/latency/de-sync etc that your post appears to suggest that you are, then you should state outright whether the points raised in the quoted statements of the experts are correct or false. Asking for their names, and or questioning whether the specifics of thier commentaries would be affected by other game features (spamming movement commands) is a pointless exercise in futility. Suggesting other reasons for thier conclusions indicates that you are in agreement with thier conclusions, but at the same time you are looking for other causes for the conclusions they have come to, and that you are in agreement with.

Asking the developers to look elsewhere for a solution, when the real solution is already in front of them does not seem particularly helpful, and falls in the category of misdirection rather than assisting.

Questions about the Neverwinter server code are, obviously, unanswerable.

Your commentary on the using of powers while bunny hopping confirms that there is an advantage to be had in bunny hopping; thereby providing evidence that bunny hopping confers an advantage to the bunny hopper.

I have stated no theories, but rather have quoted those experts in that field who are knowledgable in that area.

Your understanding is off; the quotes are timely, and involve present day MMORPG's. The level and amount of hilarity that you and your friends enjoy does not change the underlying point being discussed:
    Bunny hoppers believe they are enjoying a distinct, and clear advantage over other players. That is why they bunny hop. Experts in the field agree that this is the case, but also note strongly that the advantage is unfair, and achieved via ignoble, and game server confounding means.

In a game aimed for the enjoyment of all, how is it fair if some players achieve an unfair advantage by using ignoble means and methods? How does it benefit the game if this peculiar form of server manipulative gameplay continues unchecked, and unchallenged? How likely is it that game longevity will ensue under these conditions?
    edited January 2014
    The level and amount of hilarity that you and your friends enjoy does not change the underlying point being discussed:
    Bunny hoppers believe they are enjoying a distinct, and clear advantage over other players. That is why they bunny hop. Experts in the field agree that this is the case, but also note strongly that the advantage is unfair, and achieved via ignoble, and game server confounding means.

Nah man you're totally wrong. Your nice English is not making your posts more informed or better in any way.

Bunnyhopping is bunnyhopping. If we are to talk advantages, OK, let's talk those cause this is irritating already:

- CW freeze ray jumpcast
    - TR flurry (I think, not sure)

This is ALL that jumping (NOT bunnyhopping) offers.

Also there's jumping around the pillars.

Now, what it is that we can do and you cannot?!?

If you don't like to jump, fine. Just leave alone those that like to. Basically your claims are ridiculous in the eyes of anybody that knows PvP in Neverwinter and you just look like somebody that never tried it, to be honest.
    edited January 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    Nah man you're totally wrong. Your nice English is not making your posts more informed or better in any way.

Bunnyhopping is bunnyhopping. If we are to talk advantages, OK, let's talk those cause this is irritating already:

- CW freeze ray jumpcast
    - TR flurry (I think, not sure)

This is ALL that jumping (NOT bunnyhopping) offers.

Also there's jumping around the pillars.

Now, what it is that we can do and you cannot?!?

If you don't like to jump, fine. Just leave alone those that like to. Basically your claims are ridiculous in the eyes of anybody that knows PvP in Neverwinter and you just look like somebody that never tried it, to be honest.

Hey bro, I think I am right.

Merely claiming I am wrong does not make me wrong; especially since I have provided supporting evidence for the conclusions drawn. You, on the other hand, have provided no such, or similar, evidence to support your claim. It therefore fails, and falls, ignominously.

Bunny hopping abusation is just that; abusation. It also attempts to take advantage of pythagoras' theorem. If the developers have coded with this in mind, then no worries. If not, then another ignoble benefit is being recieved through a server manipulative mechanism.

Anyone can bunnyhop, but just because one can perform an abusing mechanic does not mean that one should. Anyone can take advantage of errors in coding or geometry or other; but it does not mean that one should.
    edited January 2014
    Hey bro, I think I am right.

Merely claiming I am wrong does not make me wrong; especially since I have provided supporting evidence for the conclusions drawn. You, on the other hand, have provided no such, or similar, evidence to support your claim. It therefore fails, and falls, ignominously.

Bunny hopping abusation is just that; abusation. It also attempts to take advantage of pythagoras' theorem. If the developers have coded with this in mind, then no worries. If not, then another ignoble benefit is being recieved through a server manipulative mechanism.

Anyone can bunnyhop, but just because one can perform an abusing mechanic does not mean that one should. Anyone can take advantage of errors in coding or geometry or other; but it does not mean that one should.

Where's your evidence?

Evidence must be from the game, showing how bunnyhopping constitutes unfair advantage.

I can provide PvP videos with bunnyhopping PvPers that get hit just as non-jumpers if you want to.
    edited January 2014
    @abeliever

Your reading perception is clouded by your wishful thinking. I never implied "bunny hopping", as you name it, provides an advantage. Only that jumping, provides specific advantages when used properly. Sometimes you need to jump and cast in a direction. Sometimes you need to walk left or right. Sometimes you need to stand still. All options are equal.

I asked for specifics for the so called "experts" you mention but it seems you cannot or don't want to deliver them. This probably means your references should be quickly dismissed by everyone. By the way, it is very common knowledge that experts in the field have proved bunny hoping does not provide any advantages in gameplay, anyway.

I am not an expert in networks mechanics/latency/de-sync but have some first-hand knowledge from having work experience there. Bunny hoping maybe provides a 0.000000000000000000000000001^10000000000ms de-sync, same as pressing direction buttons. I guess in that context, you are correct.

The only advantages bunny hopping confers to simple jumping, is maybe an increased APM, warming up your reflexes. If you imply jumping altogether should be altered, please understand that this is a core change so big it would change the game completely, making it into a different game (and a static, boring game, more suited to be released 15+years back). Bunny hopping is in every game today with the faintest action gameplay mechanic for obvious reasons. Also please understand that jumping/bunnyhopping is used in every aspect of Neverwinter, including PVE. Here is a random video where a player uses it to good effect.

http://www.twitch.tv/lovesyouall/c/3568983

There is nothing unfair or unethical about it. Just another weapon in everyone's arsenal, just as using a pot i.e.

Finally, to suggest that developers should spent their resources and workhours into this, with so many lingering game issues around, is silly. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
    edited January 2014
    @yogokou

Will agree to disagree, and let what has been previously posted speak for itself. Those who can actually act on our opinions will do so, and we may never know.

What I do know though is that bunny hopping /spam jumping is an ignoble game server manipulative mechanic. There is no pride to be had in the resorting to same, or in being proficient in such.
    edited January 2014
    @yogokou

Will agree to disagree, and let what has been previously posted speak for itself. Those who can actually act on our opinions will do so, and we may never know.

What I do know though is that bunny hopping /spam jumping is an ignoble game server manipulative mechanic. There is no pride to be had in the resorting to same, or in being proficient in such.
    I'm still waiting for you to back up this with some evidence, until then there is no reason for anyone to act on your opinion.

EDIT: Forgot to add, are you willing to bet the developers knew what they were doing in the first place, or is this mechanic an unwanted by-product of their code? The later seems pretty far-fetched to me.