test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Agro - Anything we can do?

trith1128trith1128 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Wilds
I've been gearing up my 60 HR now for the last week or so. Hes around 11.3k GS.. Here's my gripe. I put points into reducing agro.. but honestly. I CAN NOT SHAKE MOBS. I was hoping that going into Ghost Wolf would drop agro.. almost like a Rogue vanish.. but apparently it doesn't work that way. As soon as I come out of stealth, the mobs that were on me, are right back at me.

From what I've found. To be competitive with DPS in T1 / T2 dungeons, I HAVE to spam / Thorn / Split Sky / Split Shot. But in doing so... I end up with most of the mobs chewing on me. I have the Soul enchant, so yeah, that helps. But there has to be another way.

I've even started giving other group members a good 3 - 5 sec before I start laying into mobs.. but it doesn't matter. After a couple big crits.. there on me.

Has anyone else notice this issue? Has anyone found a way to drop agro or possibly a different tactic I can use to still be competitive with DPS?

Thanks for any feed back.
-Szlice
Dr.Real Good : Sun Elf-Annointed Champion :
Trith : Fury Soulbinder :
Post edited by trith1128 on

Comments

• inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Group with a good tank or cw
    stop spamming spit shot on undmg/unaggrod mobs
    settle for doing less dmg
    deal with the aggro

This is from a tanks perspective so take it for what you will. Also helps if you are not 100 feet behind the party so if you do draw aggro mobs arent marathoning over to you. If you are half the dungeon away im not going to leave my cw and dc to come save you.
  • maerwinmaerwin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    there's also a 6% less threat feat. Not much, but worth getting it, IMO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMFGWPBN3 The Lost City - Review Thread
  • badeacelraubadeacelrau Member Posts: 85
    edited January 2014
    Don't put points into feats that reduce threat for 6%... it's ridiculous.
    Don't team up with guys that don't know how to play.
    Don't cast Forest Ghost when mobs are already hitting you, figure out when you get their attention and go invis before they reach you (also use this window to cast Throw Caution).
    If the above are met, you should do fine using the combination of shift, fox's cunning, forest ghost, healing artifacts and pots. Also, slot some defensive accessories, it helps A LOT.
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Forest Ghost.

learn to use it.

the most important thing to remember is that it will shake aggro for its duration, but once its over they'll be right back on you, so the best use of it is actually to shift aggro onto someone better equipped to handle it

it goes something like this:

over-aggro -> run to GF or GWF -> Forest ghost -> run away and hope the GF or GWF takes your aggro b4 FG runs out
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • trith1128trith1128 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you all for the replies...

Just some clarification. I "never" start spamming split shot before the tank or "another" class engages. It just seems like my moves tend to grab MORE agro then other classes. I never had this issue on my TR. That's why I was confused. As far as my experience. I've cleared everything up to VT with my TR or GWF, so its not like the game is "new" to me. Just playing a HR is.

So the 6% reduction of threat I allocated points into is a waste? I think I have a respec I can use. I would love to drop that if its not really helping me any.

The only other thing I can do is.. slot more DD / CC moves. Like Binding shot or constricting shot.. or hope to find better geared or experienced players to group with.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

-Szlice
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You're going to pull some aggro. Just slot some defense into accessories and stay mobile. Mobility is your best defense.
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd say throw off one split shot or two at a test then root any monsters that start coming your way. Keep them in place with rooting and the GF/GWF's threat should draw their aggro eventually, or the CW will kill them as the odd one out, or heck kill those specific ones yourself.
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    trith1128 wrote: »
    I've been gearing up my 60 HR now for the last week or so. Hes around 11.3k GS.. Here's my gripe. I put points into reducing agro.. but honestly. I CAN NOT SHAKE MOBS. I was hoping that going into Ghost Wolf would drop agro.. almost like a Rogue vanish.. but apparently it doesn't work that way. As soon as I come out of stealth, the mobs that were on me, are right back at me.

From what I've found. To be competitive with DPS in T1 / T2 dungeons, I HAVE to spam / Thorn / Split Sky / Split Shot. But in doing so... I end up with most of the mobs chewing on me. I have the Soul enchant, so yeah, that helps. But there has to be another way.

I've even started giving other group members a good 3 - 5 sec before I start laying into mobs.. but it doesn't matter. After a couple big crits.. there on me.

Has anyone else notice this issue? Has anyone found a way to drop agro or possibly a different tactic I can use to still be competitive with DPS?

Thanks for any feed back.
    -Szlice

Don't waste points on that agro reducing feat, its total <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and an absolute waste.

Maybe you just need to find some better folks to group with. I have a 15.8k HR and I pull agro also, but I just move closer to the group or my CW and poof..problem solved.

Honestly the dungeons are so incredibly easy, and good CW's will scoop up mobs so affectively, the majority of your pulls should be **** near stunned and up in the air the entire time.

I never, ever back down on DPS on my HR in dungeons.

As a matter of fact, I gauge how well I'm doing on dps by the amount of agro I pull...if I'm not pulling any agro, than I need to step it up cuz I'm sucking...

I record a lot of PvP videos but I've never recorded how I PvE. I'm no pro by any means, but I'm fairly decent with my HR. I'll make a video when I can and post it, maybe it can help some people out.

You aren't the first person I've heard have a hard time with dieing in dungeons because of HR agro. In all honesty like I said previously..PvE is disgustingly easy in this game, you might just want to find some better players to group with.
  • trith1128trith1128 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    munkey81 wrote: »

You aren't the first person I've heard have a hard time with dieing in dungeons because of HR agro. In all honesty like I said previously..PvE is disgustingly easy in this game, you might just want to find some better players to group with.

I think your right. I unlocked a few more boons last night. Got my GS up to 12k. I got into a decent group that had both a GF and a GWF.. I was FINALLY able to unload without the worry of getting agro. By the end of the dungeon I was 3 million dmg ahead of the #2 spot.

:) I think I have to be more cautious of whom I group with.
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    One thing to note is that fox-shift will temporarily cause them to lose aggro, as will marauder's escape. Otherwise, what everyone else said, stick to those who are suppose to have aggro and kill em before they kill you.

... of course, I'm not a PVE'r, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've only just started playing a tank in the odd T1 dungeon, but guildies are gearing their shiny new rangers, including one of our guys who has regularly tanked in T2s. He complemented me on keeping the adds nicely bunched up for his split shots, so I think teamwork and communication likely does help a lot... like with so many situations.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • oniwasabisamaoniwasabisama Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm not all the way up to end game yet, so take this with THAT grain of salt: I've found that when there isn't a REALLY solid tank in the group my biggest role becomes kiting the boss adds away from the party to be dealt with in a more controlled fashion. Marauder's Escape has been HUGELY useful in increasing my rate of success/survival while doing this. I don't like having to drop an actual attack encounter to get it on the bar, but without that solid tanking I find the trade off results in me getting to do a lot MORE damage as I'm spending less time in 'desperately trying not to die' mode.

Rangers just generate a boatload of aggro when doing the damage they're supposed to, so embrace it instead of hiding from it!
  • pab77pab77 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Group with a competent thaumaturge CW that actually does damage and not just knocks / lifts stuff up. I'd be surprised if you manage to pick a single mob when they start rolling :)