test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Paragon class idea: Necromancer

davecheesedavecheese Member Posts: 170 Arc User
edited June 2014 in The Library
Hi all - following on from my Archmage paragon class post, here's another one. Like the other, this is primarily an attempt to create a discussion for the devs and show them interesting roles we could play. The exact numbers are less of a thing than the idea behind the effect.

Please may I encourage you to engage and be constructive! Thank you!

(E=encounter power, P=static power, W=at will power, D=daily power)

Lvl 30
E: Paralysing grip - damage + debuff recovery on target
Mastery: Also debuffs power
E: Carrion cloud - low powered DOT but long duration.
Mastery: Gains another charge that can be fired at a secondary target
P: Thoughtsteal - increase in AP gain 1%/rank

Lvl 35
W: Ghoul Touch - Short range at will with high life steal buff
E: Tenebrous bolt - necrotic damage, amount based off current HP
Mastery: Target is knocked down

Lvl 40
D: Banshee's scream - Forward cone AOE damage + stun 1s/rank
P: Bone Armour - Improves protection by +1 AC/rank

Lvl 45
E: Contagion - Moderate CON debuff + damage
Mastery: Debuff improved and lasts longer
E: Claw of the Wraith - damage + chill + target cannot gain HP for 2seconds/rank
Mastery: Target is pulled toward caster

Lvl 50
E: Grasping Hands of Horror - AoE root
Mastery: Can be cast at location
D: Finger of Death - Big single target necrotic damage attack. Gives 3 stacks of chill
P: Enervation - increase character's lifesteal by 5%/rank
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not happening .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well of course it's not happening! How about being more constructive than that and generate some ideas that might help the devs move things along and give us more choice and role options?
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Looks good to me. I wouldn't mind seeing all the other paragon choices being specially classes/roles.

CW - Current CC role, Envoker DPS role, Conj/Necro Utility Leader Debuffer.
  • Options
    johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nice, but i was expecting more of a summoner guy. summon bones :p
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I thought about summoning undead etc, but I don't know if the engine could handle a horde of player friendly zombies. And, you know, if we're playing a necromancer, it has to be a horde. Nothing less than an unstoppable waves would do :)

Seriously speaking, everyone has a companion, so I guess there might be some way to have an additional companion. How that would balance up in PvP where companions are blocked, I don't know.
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Yeah no summon undead. I want a horde of undead. More undead
  • Options
    johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    those summons will be a different type, not like companions
  • Options
    neverknight5neverknight5 Member Posts: 79
    edited January 2014
    Great idea, however I think the necromancer should be a separate class rather than a paragon. This is because it would not suit a necro running around in bright blue robes XD. The encounters seem good, paralysing grip is a good idea :D
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Problem with a necromancer is that they have fod and wail of the banshee. Those are instant kills. Your suggestion for finger of death is not finger of death but just another nuke. This changes palemasters too much from their dnd roots and I don't like the idea. I also don't like the idea of adding instant kills in as it's just too overpowered in a game such as this.
  • Options
    pjohnakospjohnakos Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Actually a very good proposal here. He didnt mention something about instant kills, just damage and our knife or the rogue knifes seem like instant kills for some classes. I like the idea of a necromancer in the game and some mobs and mini bosses already use skills that devs can rework to make that happen. For me this suits more to wizard than then paragon of master of flames.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pjohnakos wrote: »
    Actually a very good proposal here. He didnt mention something about instant kills, just damage and our knife or the rogue knifes seem like instant kills for some classes. I like the idea of a necromancer in the game and some mobs and mini bosses already use skills that devs can rework to make that happen. For me this suits more to wizard than then paragon of master of flames.

The name of one of the abilities he made is an instant kill that he changed into a nuke. I'm against this, there are other prc's that can be used without ruining a classic dnd prc.
  • Options
    hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    The name of one of the abilities he made is an instant kill that he changed into a nuke. I'm against this, there are other prc's that can be used without ruining a classic dnd prc.

A few that come to mind are Negative Energy Ray, Deathless Master's Touch (forgotten realms palemaster ability), and Energy Drain. Since we don't have negative levels, Energy Drain could be a fairly good subject for massive damage.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hi - thank you all for your comments. I appreciate the discussion :)

The Finger of Death spell wasn't intended to be any sort of insta-kill. I'm completely against that sort of thing too. However, I was just getting at an Ice Knife under another name with a few flavourful changes!
  • Options
    neverknight5neverknight5 Member Posts: 79
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Problem with a necromancer is that they have fod and wail of the banshee. Those are instant kills. Your suggestion for finger of death is not finger of death but just another nuke. This changes palemasters too much from their dnd roots and I don't like the idea. I also don't like the idea of adding instant kills in as it's just too overpowered in a game such as this.

Yes, however Finger of death is a 50 daily, it deserves to be powerful. This class could be a solution for taking down sent gwf's, I think fod would be a good daily instead of nuke. But it's your opinion, this would also add some difference to pvp with necro class. It would be quite fun :D
  • Options
    ravenlock99ravenlock99 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I want a full necromancer class with paragon paths for summoning or DoT damage. Necro's are not wizards.
  • Options
    filluslosstarotfilluslosstarot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I wait anxiously for the Necromancer, Nethermancy or Illusion paragons.
    Very good example of Paragon, hopefully some idea here is harnessed
    Congratulations
    tBR3vwD.png
    Name: Fillus Losstarot - Race: Shadar kai - Class: Warlock
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I saw an Illusionist build in resource book. But there isn't any Necromancer paragon path so it won't be implementable unless WotC creates one.
  • Options
    filluslosstarotfilluslosstarot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Illusion and summoner, are in the book, Arcane Powers.
    Necromancy and Nethermancy, are in the book, Heroes of Shadow.
    tBR3vwD.png
    Name: Fillus Losstarot - Race: Shadar kai - Class: Warlock
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Illusion and summoner, are in the book, Arcane Powers.
    Necromancy and Nethermancy, are in the book, Heroes of Shadow.
    Thanks for the info. I just checked it. They seem to be introduced as "schools" instead of paragon paths.
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would really love to some wizard subtype like necromancer/sorcerer/wild mage/warlock or some summoner type.

Or some melee alternate for Gwf like a Paladin or Monk.