test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Transmutation of Pets

spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The reason for this is. I play CW (I am always a magic user in any game that allows it), and I would love to have the dragon familiar. But my stone gives me better stats, and do not interfere and need ressing in dungeons. So I was wondering. Am I the only one who would like to be able to do this?

A stone with the skin of a passive familiar dragonkin (no attacks and such) please.
Post edited by spellwarden on

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The reason for this is. I play CW (I am always a magic user in any game that allows it), and I would love to have the dragon familiar. But my stone gives me better stats, and do not interfere and need ressing in dungeons. So I was wondering. Am I the only one who would like to be able to do this?

A stone with the skin of a passive familiar dragonkin (no attacks and such) please.

+1

Sounds like a great idea with no downsides.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    +1 I'd certainly like to see selectable skins for pets ... Oohh ya know what I'd like? a Tiger skin for my panther!!!!
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Being able to transmute pets is a pretty good idea. It would be nice to have it put in the game.
  • Options
    elementalistgaiaelementalistgaia Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I can see that working for the cats or stones because they don't attack but for other pets they wouldn't have the right animations, like if I were to change a swordsman into a cleric either A. he'd stab people with his orb or holy symbol, or B. He's be a "wizard" or "cleric" but still have a sword and shield* and that's just going from a humanoid to another humanoid pet things would get even weirder once you got the animals and monsters involved

*of course that could be fine if they would let US be wizards and clerics that had swords and what not, even if just cosmetically *hint*hint*wink*wink*
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    *of course that could be fine if they would let US be wizards and clerics that had swords and what not, even if just cosmetically *hint*hint*wink*wink*

That would fit well with the opening video, where the wizard is fiddling around with a sword for some reason. It could be explained by having that be his replacement for an orb.
  • Options
    skiametricskiametric Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Maybe all pets need an active and an augment mode they can be set to?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    That would fit well with the opening video, where the wizard is fiddling around with a sword for some reason. It could be explained by having that be his replacement for an orb.

Scourge warlock. Uses a blade.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Scourge warlock. Uses a blade.

Perhaps then that part of the video was intended to hint at the eventual release of Scourge Warlocks. It is often rumoured that Warlocks will be out sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Perhaps then that part of the video was intended to hint at the eventual release of Scourge Warlocks. It is often rumoured that Warlocks will be out sooner rather than later.

In some of the earliest beta versions warlock gear dropped for a short bit. And people from another site had supposedly data-mined warlock abilities that they had been working on. So you're probably right.

As for the thread's topic... transmutation of pets (or nearly anything similar) would be great imo. On my main characters, the only time I have anything other than an augment out anymore is when I'm leveling up a new pet to mess with. Once it hits max, the augment comes right back out. That said, I'd much rather run around with my pseudodragon. So the ability to make my augment look like one of my other pets (or just giving all pets a passive buff mode), would be great for me.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Nuts to all that, I want to build my pets stats and abilities to my liking.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    I would really appreciate allowing any companion to be visible instead of or in addition to an augmentation.

I am not sure if true transmuations could work.
    For instance if you had a melee combat companion transmuted over a ranged combat companion it would look very odd.

However if you at least had the option to have any combat companion be visible and following you without effecting combat it would go a long way to improving character customization. Especially if those companions could appear to be attacking and interacting in the fight while neither damaging nor being damaged by enemies.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    While it's a good idea, reading the suggestion itself gives me an impression I once had looking at the owlbear mount.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I can see the transmutation working on Ioun Stones. Their rotation animation could just be swapped out to match the movement and idle animations of whatever is being put on top of it, and the sound bites could play as normal.

It would probably be pretty hard to try to swap any of the abilities requiring the companion to take actions, due to potential animation differences between companions with different forms, such as switching a Dire Wolf to one of the fighting men, so that the Fighter ends out biting enemies with his knees, or some such.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    However if you at least had the option to have any combat companion be visible and following you without effecting combat it would go a long way to improving character customization. Especially if those companions could appear to be attacking and interacting in the fight while neither damaging nor being damaged by enemies.

This is an excellent idea that would allow for a great deal of character customization for the sake of appearance or for role-play with absolutely no negative affect on the game play itself. The animated attacks with no damage, accompanied by the sounds, would add a lot of flavour and the damage immunity would keep it going nicely.