test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maybe a DPS meter??

donmancinidonmancini Member Posts: 44
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hi, is it possible to put in game dps meter or is there any add on to have one?? Becouse this dmagae dealt you cant really tell, ppl run 1st to do more dmg while you loot gold or for e.x CWs use more OF than Singu to do dmg and not helping team. And so on! So if anyone knows an add on pls post. Or the devs its not so hard to put a DPS meter after dmg dealt for e.x!!
Post edited by donmancini on

Comments

• Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Press X to make damage table come up or do you mean a dps meter more like they have in WoW?
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Lets keep stuff like that to the other mmo. When stuff like that gets allowed here as an add-on then guilds will then start popping up where you need this add-on to join.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    Press X to make damage table come up or do you mean a dps meter more like they have in WoW?

I know about the X ofc and i mean as in WoW yes becouse this one is damage dealt not DPS
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Lets keep stuff like that to the other mmo. When stuff like that gets allowed here as an add-on then guilds will then start popping up where you need this add-on to join.

No need couse if devs put a damage dealt they can put a dps to its not hard dude no need for add ons!!
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I remember Recount with great pleasure :)

Yes, a DPS meter would be awesome.

However, the game is built in such (a stupid) way, that one person can run ahead in epic dungeons and start DPSing, which will still show as spikes in DPS. And if he's geared, squishier mobs will be dead by the time you get there, so less to do for you since less AoE.

In that other game we mentioned, if a mage runs in front to DPS the trash from a raid or even a heroic, he will be instagibbed, because that other MMO smartly requires a true tank and healer for most situations.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    donmancini wrote: »
    No need couse if devs put a damage dealt they can put a dps to its not hard dude no need for add ons!!

That isn't the point. Let's not turn this mmo into the other mmo. It is not needed here.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i want addons for nvn, what i would give for a decent UI addon, DPS meter, and these awesome utility addons that shows all your auctions, total $ on all characters, improves bag management and so on.....

addons alone make me wanna return to that other game, if only it wasnt so outdated :(
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    That isn't the point. Let's not turn this mmo into the other mmo. It is not needed here.

No, you're understanding it wrong.

These things would add OPTIONAL utility. Up to YOU what and if you want to install.

Addons are present in many games. NWO would benefit a lot from it.

Also, keep in mind, this game has nothing unique to preserve. It's just some generic, action style, D&D themed arcade MMO. Nothing more.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    No, you're understanding it wrong.

These things would add OPTIONAL utility. Up to YOU what and if you want to install.

Addons are present in many games. NWO would benefit a lot from it.

Also, keep in mind, this game has nothing unique to preserve. It's just some generic, action style, D&D themed arcade MMO. Nothing more.
    You think LFG is bad now because of "exp only" and "15k+ GS required"... wait until there is a DPS meter cause then you can add "must be leet deeps over 9000"
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    You think LFG is bad now because of "exp only" and "15k+ GS required"... wait until there is a DPS meter cause then you can add "must be leet deeps over 9000"

That might happen for just a few classes, such as CW/HR/TR. It is no different from current GS requirements. People want safety nets in their pugs, nobody wants to go in to wipe, they wanna kill the boss and take the loot.

So while this seem harsh, maybe it is time for some people to improve their chars to the point of desirability? As an alternative, one can always join a guild or make friends and get carried.

As a sidenote, please keep in mind I am a person that lobbied quite a lot for the dungeons to be made accessible to the listed GS, so CN should be possible 4/4 for a 9200 GS party from random queue. So I'm no elitist prick... but people must at least try to pull their own weight in party play and do their best to have decent chars.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That might happen for just a few classes, such as CW/HR/TR. It is no different from current GS requirements. People want safety nets in their pugs, nobody wants to go in to wipe, they wanna kill the boss and take the loot.

So while this seem harsh, maybe it is time for some people to improve their chars to the point of desirability? As an alternative, one can always join a guild or make friends and get carried.

As a sidenote, please keep in mind I am a person that lobbied quite a lot for the dungeons to be made accessible to the listed GS, so CN should be possible 4/4 for a 9200 GS party from random queue. So I'm no elitist prick... but people must at least try to pull their own weight in party play and do their best to have decent chars.
    Well for the sake of full disclosure, I pretty much only PUG GG dungeons as this point. Also, I completely agree with you, I have in the past run regular DV with people who had 13K GS but had no idea how to complete this dungeon.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    In that other game we mentioned, if a mage runs in front to DPS the trash from a raid or even a heroic, he will be instagibbed, because that other MMO smartly requires a true tank and healer for most situations.

Yarp, it's why I haven't bothered making a GF yet. Apart from some kiting fights, and positioning Fulminorax, there are very few situations in NW where you wouldn't be better off with another dedicated DPS instead. Of course, the flipside of this is that there are so few situations where a tank's mettle is tested, that when you do actually need a decent tank, you discover just how many of them aren't competent and have just been along for the ride all along :)

(To an extent, it's hard to blame them, as they get very little feedback regarding success or failure under ordinary circumstances)
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Name one other MMO (other than STO) that has Foundry and thousands of User Generated Content quests?

Edit: And if you want a DPS meter - google Advanced Combat Tracker ACT - it has a Neverwinter plugin (it's not in-game display however)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Name one other MMO (other than STO) that has Foundry and thousands of User Generated Content quests?

Edit: And if you want a DPS meter - google Advanced Combat Tracker ACT - it has a Neverwinter plugin (it's not in-game display however)

I'm already using ACT, it's awesome, thanks :)

However, when I think about DPS meter, I think about Recount or TinyDPS, with all their options.

Now, as for the Foundry:

- awesome tool, awesome idea, bad and lacking implementation
    - true, it is quite unique in the MMO realm
    - it is irrelevant for a multitude of players like me, because there are no rewards, no true boss fights, it's just there to be played for the story itself. Until foundry will offer scaling rewards based on difficulty, and until it will be able to create PvP maps, dungeons and raids, I am sorry, but at least for me... it will largely stay irrelevant. Basically the only foundries I have played are from players that I respect or befriended in the game, as a courtesy and as a thank you sometimes. Overall I'm very underwhelmed, but not because creators lack skill, but because the tools they can use are extremely limited.
  • Options
    berzergeraberzergera Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would also like to see a dps meter, altho i press x and have it down in a little corner so its up all the times, its not the same.

But i would love to see addons getting allowed. So we can change our UI abit and other stuffs. It would be awesome.
  • Options
    themagicbum87themagicbum87 Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2013
    Id settle for having the window that comes up when you hit X stay on damage dealt, and also record damage when you're solo or going into a mini dungeon like Dread Spire or Celadaine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No, keep that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of here. Nothing positive comes from watching damage meters.

-Nothing-
    Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
  • Options
    interventionxeinterventionxe Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Can we get a threat generated bar and section in the x tabs.
  • Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A DPS meter? For what? To be able to say "my DPS is larger than yours"?

If you want to analyze your DPS output use combat logging and a tool like
    Advanced Combat Tracker. It'll give you more info than you probably asked for.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    donmancini wrote: »
    Hi, is it possible to put in game dps meter or is there any add on to have one?? Becouse this dmagae dealt you cant really tell, ppl run 1st to do more dmg while you loot gold or for e.x CWs use more OF than Singu to do dmg and not helping team. And so on! So if anyone knows an add on pls post. Or the devs its not so hard to put a DPS meter after dmg dealt for e.x!!

how is using Oppressive force, not helping team. You must never have done anything difficult or you would know OF is a better CC than singularity vs many and red casting targets.

A good wizard know when to use either one.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It's OK if you're not always on top of the DPS. For example, some of the groups I play with:

- I am on top all dungeon, but at last boss I switch my Tab ability for a passive defense shield and equip 2 purely defensive rings, just to survive. My CW goes from 1 to 3 after we finish the fight.
    - another group has CWs that just have better gear and are more willing to go in front and speed run the dungeon, while I'm always kinda lazy. I end up on 2nd-3rd place.
    - other groups I just top constantly the damge because, well, I had months to gear up, while others are new.

So what?!? I cannot care less about any of these things. Real time DPS meter is very good, you can understand what the minimum requirements are for some encounters and see how you perform and then try to improve. ACT is awesome, but it cannot compare with Recount.

To me, all this negativity towards a DPS meter comes from undergeared/unskilled players that fear people seeing how much DPS they can push. Well newsflash: we all have to go through this in MMOs (minus those buying BiS gear). Take it as an opportunity to improve your char.

Even more important... if I end up the dungeon with 20 million damage dealt, and you end up with 7, you think people won't notice this anyway? So there's nothing to hide, what you want to avoid is already present in the game.

All we want is a more refined type of charts, that's all.
  • Options
    faziskontrasztfaziskontraszt Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2013
    The moment an accessible dps meter appears is the moment when people unslot support/utility powers and begin to ignore certain mechanics. In pugs at least. I'm not sure that would be a step in the good direction.
  • Options
    lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To me, all this negativity towards a DPS meter comes from undergeared/unskilled players that fear people seeing how much DPS they can push. Well newsflash: we all have to go through this in MMOs (minus those buying BiS gear). Take it as an opportunity to improve your char.

I'll add my voice to not wanting a DPS meter (there is ACT) and I'd go a step further in suggesting to also have X removed from the interface. But then again, I mainly play a DC (and I'm both very good at it and well geared) and all I see is people distracted from doing their jobs while busily measuring their e-genitals. ymmv

In general (not aimed at you pers3phone), if you can't tell who has helped or hindered your group without resorting to poorly compiled stats you have other problems that need addressing.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It's not about e-peen, it's about efficiency in a certain encounter. Nothing wrong measuring that and having it available on a key-press.
  • Options
    vahlenxvahlenx Banned Users Posts: 33
    edited December 2013

In other words "waahh I don't want people to know how bad I am"............This MMO needs all the help it can get, add-ons will only improve it.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    vahlenx wrote: »
    In other words "waahh I don't want people to know how bad I am"............This MMO needs all the help it can get, add-ons will only improve it.

Adding a DPS meter will not "help the game". Last time I checked people were clearing dungeons with all classes.

You know what's great about this game? That we actually use CC spells and not just worrying about topping the DPS charts. Let's keep it that way.

• Options
    vahlenxvahlenx Banned Users Posts: 33
    edited December 2013
    Adding a DPS meter will not "help the game". Last time I checked people were clearing dungeons with all classes.

You know what's great about this game? That we actually use CC spells and not just worrying about topping the DPS charts. Let's keep it that way.

Why? because you don't want to be btched at for under-performing? The only people who don't want a meter are people that know they either aren't very good or geared enough for the content. Adding a meter isn't going to change how the game is played, however it will help weed out the drool buckets that can't keep up.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    vahlenx wrote: »
    Why? because you don't want to be btched at for under-performing? The only people who don't want a meter are people that know they either aren't very good or geared enough for the content. Adding a meter isn't going to change how the game is played, however it will help weed out the drool buckets that can't keep up.

Ok dude, let's just get the whole "scrub" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of the way. I can top meters in WoW on my warlock when I'm on even gearing. This game is not hard, in fact the PvE in this game has been pretty **** trivial. That being said, if you're clearing content, what does it matter?

And if you're a super hardcore min/maxer you shouldn't be worried about having to "weed out the drool buckets" because you do guild runs, and they wouldn't be in your guild if they weren't good right?

DPS meters is the first step to dumbing down the use of CC and the gateway to people becoming elitist tards because everyone goes to the same class guide, gets the same cookie cutter build so they can be safe on the DPS charts and tell anyone else that they are "bad" even though all they're doing is copying someone else themselves.

Some of the best MMO's I've played had no DPS meter or plugins and everyone was having good fun. EQ, DAoC, WAR just to name a few.

• Options
    nap1985nap1985 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Look at it like this...I PROMISE you, absolutely, an in game damage meter than breaks down actual dps, percentages for each attack, will help increase a hardcore player base. Maybe many don't want this, that's fine, but the casual aspect will not suffer, and the game will make more money. Hands down. $$.

I'd like to add, even though I would like to see this, I think I understand why it's avoided in 99% of mmo's....it might amplify the appearance of any "p2w" aspects, and because attempting to build a hardcore player base means putting more effort into interesting, challenging, and substantial content....rather than making money on micro transactions by recoloring armor and mount models, which requires much less effort. I'm not saying there isn't fun content in this game, I enjoy it...but I have yet to find the challenge and the sense of community I have seen in a certain other mmo that shall remain nameless.....
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Absolutely not.

"Hardcore playerbase"??? More like elitist snobs.

Just look at some of the horrible things written in this thread:

'Weed out'??? Really? Sweet Jesus, how much more arrogant can someone get? How someone can even think of something like this is just sad. Is it not that everyone is just as much a player as any other?

When people start judging others on mechanical performance and numbers, is like when we start judging people by the amount of their yearly wages, rather than who they really are. Anyone who remembers what WoW was like before all the third-party add-ons started displaying DPS can attest to this.

Sometimes we had good people in the party, sometimes they were lacking in skill. Some dungeon raid content worked, others failed. And when it did fail, we didn't start pointing fingers and rain down on him with blames on someone, or, go so far as to just simply shun people out and never even give them a chance to join up again.

Then some lunatic came up with the idea of opening up in-game information/statistics. I can not even begin to say what kind of negative impact this brings upon a community of people. It literally starts making 'class'. There are those 'haves', who will from that point on only play with each other, look down upon, ridicule, mock and spit on other people because what, they have higher numbers on a non-existent imaginary content? Then there are the 'have-nots', people seeking a chance to try out in better content, learn through failures, get more equipment, want to become better, and yet never even given a chance because he 'scored' X points of damage. Its like those snobs don't ever look back and remember the days when they themselves were undergeared and sucky "n00bs".

In the end, what's left in WoW is isolated groups of raider-parties who only work with each other, becoming the only ones with any real possibility of getting all the latest, updated gear, and then a majority of people left behind and treated as 'casual gamers', 'sucky people', 'droolers' and etc.. simply shunned from the major guilds or communities.

The reason people want a DPS meter is the exact reason why it should not exist. People want to run dungeons faster. Instead of enjoying the game as a content, soon, getting better loot becomes the only goal, and efficiency becomes the only virtue. Only certain level of gear, only certain builds, only certain guilds become 'viable', and all the rest is treated as trash.

I refuse to accept that kind of gross egomaniacs from taking over the community. I've seen it happening in WoW, and its bound to happen again. If we want that kind of capitalist yuppy snobism, we already have our real lives and jobs.

We play games to enjoy ourselves freely, in a virtual community of people where we reimagine ourselves to what we want to be -- not to earn X amount of ADs and run Y amount epic-dungeons in Z amount of time in a business of loot hording and selling.

As a person who enjoys this game, I acknowledge the fact that some people will never be as good as me, and some people will always be better than me. There are differences and yet, with interaction between each other we meet as much success as we meet failures and frustrations, and consider it a challenge to overcome. When you start adding in methods of classifying people and dividing them for exclusive interaction, begins the sick and grotesque bias of hordes of snobs judging people not by how they really play and enjoy the game, but rather by how fast they stack an arbitrary set of numbers as if that's the only thing matters in running a certain content.

It's the moment where people stop interacting, talking, grouping each other, and where the community gets divided and shattered. If you want to play with reliable people only, there are already guilds. Other than that, the randomness of who comes into the party is -- despite possible frustrations -- is an integral part of what makes a game and a society. You don't 'weed out' anyone.

If one cannot accept that as a given fact of life, and wants to play with only people who will guarantee a success everytime, perhaps one should stop playing games and start learning more about what makes a society and a community, because the mentality behind DPS meters and what it implies, is simply proving all the critics and game-bashers right about how video games make people too focused in competency and destroys social communication.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'