Install Arc
Options

Is the foundry being phased out?

2»

Comments

• Options
    slinkyalslinkyal Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hmm, I am new to the foundry, but did a lot of work in NWN1 Aurora toolset and was on the NWN2 toolset beta. I suggested this back then and was ignored and may well be ignored again. But a way to monetize the foundry would be to charge developers for certain content, like dragons. I know I would pay to have the option to place a dragon at the heart of my module. Please do not hit me.

Alleyslink
    Play "Deed to My Soul" NW-DH713QG92
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    slinkyal wrote: »
    Hmm, I am new to the foundry, but did a lot of work in NWN1 Aurora toolset and was on the NWN2 toolset beta. I suggested this back then and was ignored and may well be ignored again. But a way to monetize the foundry would be to charge developers for certain content, like dragons. I know I would pay to have the option to place a dragon at the heart of my module. Please do not hit me.

Alleyslink

yes Imma hit you.

last thing we need is more pay gates for things, when the pay gates we already got is already steep/ and all that will do is exclude content for people to do the very thing thats happening now.

the same thing thats happening with the featured, would happen with the people that use monetized assets.

Edit:

Also to add. the foundry exp bonus will actually see more use for the people that wants to farm tokens.
  • Options
    hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yes Imma hit you.

last thing we need is more pay gates for things, when the pay gates we already got is already steep/ and all that will do is exclude content for people to do the very thing thats happening now.

the same thing thats happening with the featured, would happen with the people that use monetized assets.

Edit:

Also to add. the foundry exp bonus will actually see more use for the people that wants to farm tokens.

I wouldn't say no to a foundry that acted more like the aurora toolset though. It had an easy interface that worked well for anyone willing to learn.
  • Options
    sternerrsternerr Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Very easy way to fix foundry reward system without doing any additional assets.

Right now there is a blue transmog set for each class, 2 pieces can be crafted, chestpiece and helmet are on Wondrous Bazaar for 3 million AD combined price. I never seen anyone wearing those.

Add foundry tokens for completing quests. 2 tokens for 30 min quest, 5 tokens for 60 minute one. Make those chest and helmet purchasable with foundry tokens for 90 and 70 tokens. Problem solved. No development costs, no balancing issues. That will give people incentive to run non 15-minute grind quests, especially non-combat ones.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    slinkyal wrote: »

*Slaps you with a large trout*

Absolutely NOT. Why should we have to pay anything? For the "honor" of providing them hundreds of thousands of hours of our time developing free content?

That would very, very likely cause a MASS exodus of foundry authors, myself included.
  • Options
    slinkyalslinkyal Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eldarth wrote: »

I stink of very large fish. I knew that would not be a popular statement, but we must admit, they are not making money from the Foundry, therefore the foundry doesn't get fixed. As I read somewhere else, if there was a problem with the Zen market it would be fixed in a jiffy.
    Play "Deed to My Soul" NW-DH713QG92
  • Options
    builderxbuilderx Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited December 2013

Absolutely NOT. Why should we have to pay anything? For the "honor" of providing them hundreds of thousands of hours of our time developing free content?

That would very, very likely cause a MASS exodus of foundry authors, myself included.

Agreed....To make the foundry another cash sink would create a 2 tier set of foundries, those that had the new shiny assets and those that did not. Very quickly it would turn out that those that did wold be played and those that did not would not. So solves nothing. NO NOT THE WAY TO GO. We need a level playing field with better ways to be seen and played and yes much better rewards be it tokens/ better end game loot/ more XP or whatever.

And fix the BUGS.
  • Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I just want to say that the search/tag system needs to be fixed, right NOW.

I've spent three months on my foundry only for it to NOT appear in search, even under my username, even AFTER I fought to make it a daily (which, frankly, was pure hell, without the system's support).

How the heck am I suppose to be excited and make new stuff, if the only people who will see it are the ones I trade reviews for?

My first foundry, before tag system has 200 plays.
    My second foundry, after tag system was introduced, has 20 plays.

You do the math.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    eskarine wrote: »
    I just want to say that the search/tag system needs to be fixed, right NOW.

I've spent three months on my foundry only for it to NOT appear in search, even under my username, even AFTER I fought to make it a daily (which, frankly, was pure hell, without the system's support).

How the heck am I suppose to be excited and make new stuff, if the only people who will see it are the ones I trade reviews for?

My first foundry, before tag system has 200 plays.
    My second foundry, after tag system was introduced, has 20 plays.

You do the math.

I think most of us feel the same way, I know I do. Cant even get my own new quest to show up under subscribed!
    At the moment the Foundry seams anti-author and anti-player!

And I will not stoop to bribery to get people to play them. ( I know my loss!)
  • Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I just wanted to add that I can live with lack of some features, like timers or AND/OR logic. I can get over the missing boss encounters, no dragons and no new skins. I can forget about lack of facial hair for costumes and no sitting pose and no non-battle music. I can work around the limited options for costumes and even make multiple-endings with the current system we have.

What I CAN'T live with, is that with every major update something gets broken and it takes ages to fix. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Yes, I almost squeed because we finally got dome roofs, which I wanted for forever.

But today I was nearly in tears when I noticed some of the already existing assets were broken and not displaying on the maps.

The bugs. The search/tag system and the bugs - those are the two issues that absolutely RUIN the foundry fun for me and make me want to uninstall the game.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Can we get some sort of official list and time scale of intentions as to what if anything is/will be done, in the near future to fix/improve/upgrade or expand the foundry?

Not too much to ask for!
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    builderx wrote: »
    Can we get some sort of official list and time scale of intentions as to what if anything is/will be done, in the near future to fix/improve/upgrade or expand the foundry?

Not too much to ask for!
    Thats not going to happen, not the least because it would lead to "you said x would be fixed by y date!"
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thats not going to happen, not the least because it would lead to "you said x would be fixed by y date!"

I know but there is no harm in asking.......
    it just seams like a one-sided debate so far.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am curious if any of the following has happened to you NW folks. It has happened to us STO authors.

1. Cryptic has recently broken several of our maps. About 8 months ago, if I recall correctly, a season update made the usable space on several maps completely unusable, and people logged in to find that they could not republish their missions because 90 errors related to the maps. In the past 8 months, our devs fixed one of the broken maps, but not 2 or 3 others. And the recent season update broke 2 additional maps.

There are several spotlights and probably hundreds of missions that were completely broken. The author had to decide whether to keep waiting for a dev fix, or completely redo that map with a different map that doesn't have the issues.

2. Have they taken out features rather than try to fix the features? This happens to us quite often. Like they put in a costume importer that caused some ctds. Rather than fixing the buggy feature, they just yanked it out of the Foundry. This kind of thing has happened to us on multiple occasions.

3. Also, last question. What command do you folks use for freecam, meaning the way to separate your toon from the camera to allow for effective map-building. They didn't even tell us that command existed until we discovered that it was something like /freecam. Then it completely disappeared until we realized someone changed it to /ugc_freecam 1.

Now, we've lost it again, and nobody is telling us what the new command is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    1. Yep. A map succumbed to "algorithmic" tree placement that overran a nice forest with thick twisted different trees in places where there were none, and creating new empty spaces. Existing maps were completely ruined. And they "couldn't fix it." (Source Control? Backups? Buehler? Buehler?) Edit: Oh, then there are the several maps that have been "optimized" and had invisible walls placed interfering with peoples maps - they fix maybe 50% of those before breaking new ones next "optimization" cycle.

2. First they would have to ADD functionality to our foundry. The only thing they've added thus far as been 3-D editing (and that was in two steps - first 3-D movement, then months later 3-D asset placement). They have completely changed and messed up asset details several times (Page 2 of my foundry bugs list has nearly two dozen that have never been correct -- and those are just the ones I've found).

3. We've got a dropdown in 3-D previewer at top of screen/menu for Movement: Normal / Freecam
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

3. We've got a dropdown in 3-D previewer at top of screen/menu for Movement: Normal / Freecam

Is there no /command equivalent that you can type in the chat box? Thanks for the information.

It really does sound like NW's launch has actually been rougher than our launch in many ways. A year out, our community was still pretty strong and lively, with active forums, podcasts, youtube videos, community websites etc. We still have around 4 Foundry podcasts going.

It hasn't been that long for you guys, right?

Eventually most of us gave up on trying to compensate for the UI, since players just cannot find what is out there without a custom search. We tried everything, from podcasts, sig banners, social networks, external websites, and even bribing players with free gifts, etc.

Nobody makes a trailer any more, since it translated to very few plays. I've had a sig banner going at the STO forums. It has brought me less than 10 plays in the past 6 months.

I also have one mission that took over 100 hours just to build. After 1 year, it has 200 reviews, and I did everything I could to broadcast and self-promote.

I really wish someone on the NW team would have taken some time to notice our difficulties. I wonder if there is a medical term for someone who shoots themselves in the foot twice.

I hope your problems get fixed soon. About 6 months into the launch of the Foundry, I was confident that bugs like the "new" listings would be quickly fixed. A few were fixed. Otherwise, each season just added more bugs. Our foundry is regressing into a more broken state with each season. This summer was really bad. After a long, long downtime, we had like 2 or 3 months of 4-minute loading screens when previewing a map. Basically, it was a downtime of five months, before the Foundry was almost as functional as it was before the season update. That gave us about 2 and half months to use it before a month-long downtime, when more stuff broke.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    koboldfangkoboldfang Banned Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I wonder if there is a medical term for someone who shoots themselves in the foot twice.

Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result each time is called insanity.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The "new" function is the most important thing that must be fixed with the foundry, or else new quests will only get plays based on review trades and maybe friends/guildmates.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    eskarine wrote: »
    ... I noticed some of the already existing assets were broken and not displaying on the maps

Have you entered bug reports for the broken assets?
    If so can you link them to me, and if not can you tell me which ones you noticed so I can add/update my list?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Yes it would be nice to see a progression of small fixes than none at all. Also the risk of introducing new bugs is far less with small fixes than huge additions covering many things at once - NOT rocket science!

At least then it would seam as if progress was being made.

I myself play this game mainly for the foundry - if it continues as is then I wont be for much longer! (Not that that matters to anyone but myself).
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    builderx wrote: »
    I myself play this game mainly for the foundry - if it continues as is then I wont be for much longer! (Not that that matters to anyone but myself).

Sadly your not the only one. Authors are dropping like flies.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I just tried out the 3D editing feature. Man, that's terrible. Can't rotate or adjust the height without entering in the values numerically. Used to you could just click red, blue, or green lines, and drag the mouse cursor to adjust the position of objects. Now all you can do is click a little yellow circle and move the object back and forth along the X axis. I couldn't even move a wall up or down. There are only Fighter and Cleric adventurer encounters. Barely anything new I could work with. Overall, the Foundry is broken in more ways than it ever improved.
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Koboldfang: Once you selected the item you wanted to edit, did you then go to the top menu and select if you wanted to edit positon (crossed arrows icon) or rotation (circle with an arrow icon)? Then you can drag or rotate the item. Unfortunately the icons are not named and you have to mouse over to see what they do.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    koboldfang wrote: »
    I just tried out the 3D editing feature. Man, that's terrible. Can't rotate or adjust the height without entering in the values numerically. Used to you could just click red, blue, or green lines, and drag the mouse cursor to adjust the position of objects. Now all you can do is click a little yellow circle and move the object back and forth along the X axis. I couldn't even move a wall up or down. There are only Fighter and Cleric adventurer encounters. Barely anything new I could work with. Overall, the Foundry is broken in more ways than it ever improved.

When you have an item selected, you can press Q to translate, and E to rotate. Pressing those keys will bring up the arrows/arcs that you can drag with your mouse. The default mode when you bring an object into the editor from the library will place it on a flat surface. Once placed about where you want it, then you can use Q or E to adjust. Or use the buttons at the top of the screen, but the buttons are the quickest way to change between modes.

The third button at the top (don't know if there is a hotkey for it) will bring you back into the default align to surface mode, in case you want to reset where the object lays.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I still say the old way was better.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    melinden wrote: »
    Koboldfang: Once you selected the item you wanted to edit, did you then go to the top menu and select if you wanted to edit positon (crossed arrows icon) or rotation (circle with an arrow icon)? Then you can drag or rotate the item. Unfortunately the icons are not named and you have to mouse over to see what they do.

Once selected you can also hit Q: move x/y/z, E: rotation, R: surface mode (drag along ground/terrain and up/down walls)

What old way? It's still there -- click one of the buttons or hit Q or E.
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I say the 3d edit that came with mod 1 is the best thing since sliced bread. Once you get used to it the time saved is well over 60% and the final outcome 100 times better for it.

That's just my opinion.