test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fire & Ice - A Master of Flame build

torietorie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2014 in The Library
I'd like to share my Master of Flame build, it's probably not perfect but it does neat damage. If you can give feedback or hints for improvement I'd be happy :)
First of, this build shines in situatuations with really huge mob groups, where I can outdmg most CWs. In normal situations like doing dailies and stuff it's about the same as the old (and awesome) Icy build. (this)
Since the NWcalc isn't updated yet, I will put screenshots of my Spec and some explanation.
Feats:
j8b3.png
Powers:
skzt.png
hlu4.png

For easier killing (Sharandar and etc)
Tab: Chillstrike
Q,E,R: StealTime, Shard, CoE
At-will: Chilling Cloud, Scorching Burst (mostly use Chilling Cloud)
Passive: Evocation, Swath of Destruction (tho Critical Conflagration should be pretty awesome too)
Daily: Ice Knife and Furious Immolation

For mobgroups with harder mobs (like Dread Legion):
Like above, but Tab: Fanning the Flame

For dungeons:
Like above, but use Scorching Burst on the middle of a mob mass whenever possible, it adds huge dmg as it seems to have no mob limit (not sure here tho)
There's no really "best" skill on Tab anymore, Fanning the Flame is still neat to put on a boss, or in a mob mass to let it spread.
Dailies: Singularity and either Furious Immolation (for quick and easy mobgroups, it's basically a quicker Singu with more dmg and less control) or Ice Knife (for helping with a boss)
Post edited by torie on

Comments

• Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Why did you choose Ice Storm over Oppressive Force? And why did you choose Combustive Action over Critical Conflagration? If you have a high critical rating, I would guess, that adding smolder from crits, is better than just from dailies--you also gain more crit severity.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • Options
    syncmaster793dfsyncmaster793df Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i need help.. pls someone who experience say something for this build.
  • Options
    troar1troar1 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    Its kinda like a mess build lol, i dont know where to begin with but i think RoF is better than CC, ice + fire are dot build, fire spell only effective when u fight as a group. When the whole enemy team are ignited by Scorching Burst and u marked them with Fanning of the Flame, the main target will take a heavy dmg than others.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    too much text to post so i will just say +1 to the above poster.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not so much a comment on this particular build, but I struggle with finding the point in MoF. I gave it to my second-string CW to play with, but I'm not finding a lot to love. The theoretical damage output over time is high enough, but the DoT mechanics are largely wasted if you kill fast enough already. It's nice to have options, but so far I'm feeling good about not giving this Path to my main CW.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    torietorie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    uurbs wrote: »
    Why did you choose Ice Storm over Oppressive Force? And why did you choose Combustive Action over Critical Conflagration? If you have a high critical rating, I would guess, that adding smolder from crits, is better than just from dailies--you also gain more crit severity.
    For both choices the reasoning is simply that one has to put enough points in lower leveled skill to unlock higher ones.
    I don't like using Oppressive Force much, ppl are always annoyed about mobs being pushed apart. For that reason I don't use Ice Storm much either.
    Am curious about Critical Conflagration though, but didn't get to trying it yet.

Feeling with it so far:
    It rocks in huge mob groups, like in VT.
    It's not bad in singletarget (better than my old build).
    I's not that great for questing/dailies, new skill doesn't shine too much with only 3-5 mobs, and the dmg is a bit lower.
  • Options
    noojsternoojster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If I'm going to pull this off in PVE then I might as well be...

1. On Thaumaturge
    2. Using Conduit of Ice on Tab, then using Fanning the flame, steal time, and Icy terrain. At will should be Chilling Cloud and Scorching Burst
    3. Dailies are ArcSing and whatever on the second

Opener would be scorching burst, then throw in conduit of ice and fanning the flame, drop in icy terrain, use steal time depending on the situation, Chilling cloud while stunned.. rinse and repeat. I like the concept of chill and smolder in synergy. CC+DoT.

Combine this with Vorp/Plague and High Vizier then we have ourselves a nice string. I'll probably try :)

MeyvnHart
    Lvl 60 Control Wizard (Tiefling) - Spellstorm Mage [Thauma-DPS]
    Philippines' <TANGINA MO PO KOYA> Guild
    Mindflayer Server
  • Options
    sinkarrasinkarra Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am very please about MoF Paragon. I like the mobility and the DoTs that comes with it. I can say that some improvements can be done to it, but for now this is what I think a good MoF build looks like for aoe hardcore dmg : http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=kha:22g2sw:16c20j,13m3i13:150000:1u0uzv:100000&h=0&p=mof . Comments and critics are welcomed.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sinkarra wrote: »
    I am very please about MoF Paragon. I like the mobility and the DoTs that comes with it. I can say that some improvements can be done to it, but for now this is what I think a good MoF build looks like for aoe hardcore dmg : http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=kha:22g2sw:16c20j,13m3i13:150000:1u0uzv:100000&h=0&p=mof . Comments and critics are welcomed.

You should probably create your own thread about your build rather than necro and subsequently hijack someone else's. Let the dead rest in peace :)
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There are a lot of issues:

No opressive force is insane. Might be best CW daily.

Critical conflaguaration is among best class features out there. I couldn't imagine running without it.

Controlling action is a bit bugged - it's not very effective.

No toughness is an issue, toughness is needed for survival.

Drifting embers isn't good unless you use FtF all the time, might want to take Crit Power or transcendent master instead.

I'll be glad to discuss builds with you sometime, but this one is at least, sub-optimal.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Your build is a tragic mess, for a number of reasons.

Base Feats:

Either go whole hog on Controlling Action or don't bother. Chemboy is right, you'd be better off with Toughness 3/3 and perhaps 2/3 in Weapon Mastery if damage/survival is your goal. 2/5 isn't going to do anything for you in Controlling Action.

Blighting Power is useless on a MoF, period. Take the bottom feats of Wizards Wrath, Arcane Enhancement, and either Focused Wizardry or Learned Spellcaster depending on how many points you've got left.

Paragon Feats:

Get rid of Drifting Embers. It's garbage no matter what build you use. You don't need to pay 5 feat points to apply smolder, ever, for any reason. Put those points immediately into Transcended Master.

Otherwise it's mostly fine on your feat selection.

Powers:

You broke yourself.

For beginners, get rid of Furious Immolation. It's trash. I don't care if you think it looks pretty, or that it fits your 'theme', it's garbage. No damage, low target cap, eats your whole AP bar, it's trash.

Spec fully into Oppressive Force. You'll thank yourself once you know how to play a wizard.

Icy Terrain is a must power, you are neutering yourself without it even if you don't use it all the time.

Take Critical Conflagration. Find the points for it. Put it on your bar forever.

Those are just the things that jump out at me. Maybe your build is fine for some specialized super pro reason, but it looks cobbled together from leveling by someone that doesn't know their role or class. You skipped some pretty key powers.

Rotations:

Disclaimer: These are my opinions only.

What really confuses me is that you appear to be using one of the two ideal Thaumaturge Spellstorm rotations as a Master of Flame, which is somewhat amusing given that you are not a Spellstorm mage.

Master of Flame is pretty terrible when you use Ice spells, in general, and shines when you use heavy arcane spells. This isn't an absolute rule, but you're going to need a lot more experience to know how to combine the two without breaking yourself.

Final Thoughts:

It's widely understood that Spellstorm Thaumaturge is 'the best' AoE DPS build for CW's, so trying to compete with that directly on a MoF is a giant waste of your time. MoF is really more of a control wizard build with DoT's, and while it certainly can pump damage it's never going to equal Thaumaturge Spellstorm with an equally geared and equally skilled player. Therefore, I feel that Master of Flame is a more ideal selection for a more 'control' oriented player with Spellstorm being for more damage oriented players.

Judging from your rotation, you should probably spec Spellstorm and be done with it. The only thing you will notice is doing a whole lot more damage over what you're using at this exact moment.

If you're married to the idea of playing a MoF I'd suggest looking at Chem's build. He farms Castle Never constantly so I trust he knows what he's doing. Lord knows there aren't many who do know their role with MoF. >.<
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    vorphied wrote: »
    You should probably create your own thread about your build rather than necro and subsequently hijack someone else's. Let the dead rest in peace :)

And it leads to people wasting lots of time writing up extensive critiques directed at people who are very unlikely to return to read them.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    And it leads to people wasting lots of time writing up extensive critiques directed at people who are very unlikely to return to read them.

I blame sinkarra and my own inability to read time codes ^_^
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Respectfully disagree on blighting power, consider conduit, icy terrain, and chilling cloud are always on your bar. How is blighting power bad?
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I see serious issues, playing myself a thaum/mof.

No oppressive force? Come on, that's by far the best CW daily. Scorching burst is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, drop it and take icy terrain/critical conflagration to get the rimfire aspect. Very useful on bosses with Conduit spamming. It's the best way to maintain a 100% uptime on smolder. :)

Question: why chilling presence and evocation when you just have better class feature in the MoF tree, and why combustive action instead of critical conflagration? Critical conflagration + swash is likely the way to go in most if not all situations (pve, pvp, single target, etc). You're wasting 8 pts on useless (for mof) class features, don't have icy terrain and OF, and if you pvp no maxed out ray of frost is a serious issue.