test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unable to launch PREVIEW

angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
This is the first problem I've ever had getting into preview.

I use ARC to launch all Cryptic games.
The Launcher works fine - when initiated with ARC or when started manually. I've confirmed this issue is related to the SHADOWMANTLE PATCH and not ARC.

My Launcher shows all three servers: Live server, Preview server and OwlBear server.

Launching the Live server works fine as expected.
Launching Preview does nothing...

The Launcher remains for a few seconds then hides. Then nothing but desktop. This happens no matter if I launch the game from the Launcher that was opened with ARC or manually (old style double-click to open).

If I return to ARC and try to open the Launcher again, I get a notice that the game cannot be opened because it is already running. A check of system resources shows GameClient.exe is running (so is ArcBrowser - so I suspect GameClient is the actual game client that is hanging-up).

I have even tried force-verifying all files (live and preview) and uninstalling Neverwinter and reinstalling it, (via ARC) repatching both servers, still the same result. Even updating to the latest Nvidia drivers don't do it. Note that there is no crash or error reports or dialogs. There is no visual cue that anything is wrong. The game client just doesn't appear to start at all (but ARC reports that it is, in fact, already running).

There is definitely something in yesterday's Shadowmantle patch that breaks the game client. And I know it's in the patch, because the LIVE game still functions just handy-dandy. Please look into this or you'll have a horde on your hands if released this way. :)

Windows XP SP3 with all updates/Nvidia 9600 512MB (for any naysayers: my system is fully capable, I've downgraded to XP by choice).

UPDATE (Experimental - in case it helps you track things down):
I copied all root files (GameClient.exe and DLL) from LIVE folder into Preview folder and manually launched GameClient.exe. The client launched, but a *very slow* loading screen (Cryptic logo) - at the end of which the client crashed. Then ran the launcher and re-patched (to update as needed - all it did was verify and mirror files) - then the same problem reappeared (no client launch - hang). Again. Absolutely, definitely, without-a-doubt the Shadowmatle patch is the cause of this issue.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    irdillonirdillon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 90
    edited October 2013
    Same problem here
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Moved to correct forum.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Moved to correct forum.

Whoops! Thank you!
  • Options
    madigelmadigel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Same this end... Patching, Fresh install, Rebooting, Starting from the Gameclient.exe. All have no effect, Gamecient stalls at 5.440 kb and doesnt budge. Starting it few times without first killing them creates multiple instances of the Gameclient.
  • Options
    namelesstwonamelesstwo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm having the same problem game client will launch and the just get stuck and crash when it hits the Neverwinter loading screen.
  • Options
    madigelmadigel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Its a know bug, I got a reply from support about it.
    Hello,

We have checked with the developers and it appears to be a known issue that is currently under investigation. We don't have an ETA as to when it will be resolved but it is high priority for the NW devs.

Regards,

The Perfect World Tech Support Team
  • Options
    szponszpon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For the people with problem where it doesn't get to character pick screen. I'v had same problem checking files and reinstall doesn't help. For me setting in launcher safe mode worked. After that in video options I'v had to leave the quality slider. If i'v set it to anything else than best perfomance the game crashed. Previously i could play on high quality without prob.