test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why module 2 will increase the differences between casuals and pro

pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
I've read people that think module 2 will reduce the difference between pro players and casuals. Not true. It will increase the difference. At least this will be the first result, and it will balance with time.

The reasons are:

- It makes more easy to get enchants to rank 10, while not changing much the difficulty to make lower level enchants. Pro players that are now stuck to rank 8 or, at best, 9, will fast upgrade to rank 10, while commoners will still be busy going to 6, and struggling to go to 7 (need AD to upgrade and the fail chance is higher).

- Artifacts will be introduced. Artifacts are upgraded just like enchants. This means that pro players will upgrade them much faster, earning a new powerful piece of gear to increase their advantage

- New paths means more builds that in many cases will be better than the old ones. The ones that make more tests (pro players) will increase their advantage improving their build, while the casuals will probably fall behind a bit

I expect to see the difference increasing in the first weeks/ 2-3 months, and then reducing once the pro players hit the max with their gear, and casuals slowly catch up (they can now hope to upgrade to rank 10/ perfect exc... with time)
Post edited by pando83 on

Comments

• Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Didn't they remove the need to use AD to upgrade enchants on preview a patch or two ago?
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Didn't they remove the need to use AD to upgrade enchants on preview a patch or two ago?

Yes, they did.
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Thank God I'm a pro player or I might be screwed!
  • Options
    thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    OK, sorry for the semantics rant, but I cannot stand it when players refer to themselves or others as "pro". As far as I know, there are no (legitimate) professional Neverwinter players. A professional is someone who has received specialized training in a given profession and is being paid to perform that profession. Unless you went to video game school and are now paid a salary to play NW you aren't a "pro". Call yourself "diehards", "hard-core", "no-lifers" or whatever, but unless you're getting paid to play the game, you aren't a "pro".

/rantoff
  • Options
    grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    There is no AD cost anymore to upgrade enchants, and yes it will happen OP, but this time is for good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The casual gamer crowd, the ones who play less than 8 hours a week due to school/work/life will be rather disappointed in module 2 imo. Sure, there is a lot more content and classes to choose from, but the learning curve involved is a huge turn off to many. We take it for granted due to having played for as long as we have, but new comers and casual players alike find the breadth of things needed to be unenjoyable.

Module 2 just adds to that complexity and will thin the herds a bit more imo, leaving only individuals who fit into several specific GamerDNA categories.

Not a bad thing, just one that makes it a much more specialized genre.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    deaththroedeaththroe Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So the OP is stating that those with more time to play will be able to do more than those with less time to play. Right? Thanks for the heads up I would have never been able to figure that one out on my own. :rolleyes:
    10PM CST

• Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    thebriman wrote: »
    OK, sorry for the semantics rant, but I cannot stand it when players refer to themselves or others as "pro". As far as I know, there are no (legitimate) professional Neverwinter players. A professional is someone who has received specialized training in a given profession and is being paid to perform that profession. Unless you went to video game school and are now paid a salary to play NW you aren't a "pro". Call yourself "diehards", "hard-core", "no-lifers" or whatever, but unless you're getting paid to play the game, you aren't a "pro".

/rantoff

Professional Gamer - Paid 2 Play.

$99/Hr - I'll teach you how to play Guardian Fighter.
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited November 2013

/rantoff

Absolutely Right!!
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »

Remember, those who can do, those who can't - teach (and are professional . . . teachers.)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I refer to them as "pro" just cause

- they call themselves "pro" in many cases
    - it's just a common way to call the players who play "professionally", spending lots of time, efforts, organization exc... But if it hurts you, i will call them "hardcore" gamers.
    Anybody is offended by the word hardcore? :)

And no, i'm not saying that
    those with more time to play will be able to do more than those with less time to play. Right? Thanks for the heads up I would have never been able to figure that one out on my own.

It's quite simple to understand. My point in this thread is that the changes in module 2 will allow casual players to reach the top level for enchants more easily in the long run, so that they can catch up with hardcore players faster. But on the other hand, making it a lot easier to reach the highest rank for enchants, and adding new pieces of gear (artifacts) to upgrade and new paths, in the first months we will see a increase in the difference between hardcore players and casual players. For the simple reason that

- hardcore gamers will now be able to reach rank 10 enchants instead of stopping to rank 8 or, in few cases, 9. And they will do it fast.

- new gear to upgrade (artifacts) means that the ones that upgrade it faster (hardocre gamers) will increase their advantage

- new more powerful (in many cases) builds means that the ones that could test them more, will get another advantage (hardcore gamers usually have already got all the gear and don't need to work much on their main char. This means they have more time to go test on the preview shard).

It's also not a complaint, so don't waste your flame. it's just a simple consideration, since many players seem to believe the changes will let normal players catch up fast with the hardcore players. I expect to see the difference grow bigger in the first weeks/ 2-3 months, and reducing later.

Next update, i would add only new PvP modes and/ or PvE content, but to add gear and stuff, i would wait till summer/ october 2014 to let the community reach a overall similar level.
  • Options
    nylatlthesecondnylatlthesecond Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pando83 wrote: »
    Next update, i would add only new PvP modes and/ or PvE content, but to add gear and stuff, i would wait till summer/ october 2014 to let the community reach a overall similar level.

Do you understand how MMOs work? The pacing of updates need to be very quick, otherwise people will get bored and move on to other games. If you wait a whole year to add another update, you're doing it wrong and being too slow. You can slow down the updates later in the life of your MMO but since Neverwinter is still very new by MMO standards, its updates need to be rapid, or the playerbase will lose interest and dwindle.
  • Options
    guaraguao34guaraguao34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    deaththroe wrote: »
    So the OP is stating that those with more time to play will be able to do more than those with less time to play. Right? Thanks for the heads up I would have never been able to figure that one out on my own. :rolleyes:

I lol so **** hard
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Better geared players equals easier times in dungeons which equals more loot for everyone.

In a PvE setting, the only people who lose when players get better gear are the monsters in the dungeons. So unless you're acting as an agent on behalf of Valindra, then I don't see what the problem is.

You don't "lose" to another human player in PvE.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    vintenarvintenar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So since there dropping the AD upgrade, does this mean there is basically no AD cost in the game for ranking up and then when you find new gear, unbinding the enchants, and moving them to another piece of gear, aside from getting gold, etc? I'm guessing there Is still a cost for the wards/ and the facilitating item to rank up that they added right? I was kind of worried about this AD upgrade cost when i was reading what must of been a older patch notice. I think this was a good idea on there part with dropping that AD cost.
  • Options
    banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    pando83 wrote: »

by that strat there would be like 5 ppl left playing in oct 2014, and they need a HUGE mod 3 with more than 1 class and few quests to survive ESO and Bless(spring 2014)

• Options
    edited December 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Better geared players equals easier times in dungeons which equals more loot for everyone.

In a PvE setting, the only people who lose when players get better gear are the monsters in the dungeons. So unless you're acting as an agent on behalf of Valindra, then I don't see what the problem is.

You don't "lose" to another human player in PvE.

Unless when people form parties, one of the main request after " experience" is "gear score". The higher the gs can be, the faster the run. Soon CN runners and Valindra Tower runners will not ask for a 12k GS, but for a 14k or more once artifacts are available.

Also, there is a PvP part to take into account.

I think most of the replies didn't understand the meaning of this thread. Yawn.
  • Options
    nonameidknonameidk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And why do you think this is such a bad thing?

There is no exclusivity in Neverwinter, at this point in time everything is doable rather easy. There is no dungeon or any content that is hard, that makes people work for it. And on the other hand there's also exploits, people mostly do not even know that every dungeon has 4 bosses, not only CN, but those are optional and are mostly skipped by simply dying at the right place.

And there is no raid content. What's more rewarding than beating a boss so hard that it takes 20 people to do it?

Artifacts and Companions active bonuses are there for a reason, to give the player something they can improve with. If they all get maxed out they have nothing to improve, they lose interest. Also it promotes variety, rarely will you see a person with the exact same items and companions as you after module 2.

tl;dr:
    Bugs should get fixed, more content should be added(with minimal to no bugs).
    Exclusivity is a good thing; raids are needed.
    When in doubt, just hold on. A new day will rise :)
  • Options
    manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »

Your milkshake brings all the noobs to the yard?
  • Options
    banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    nonameidk wrote: »

tl;dr:
    Bugs should get fixed, more content should be added(with minimal to no bugs).
    Exclusivity is a good thing; raids are needed.

the problem with raids is that if not done right they feel like a job(like in wow) and this is cryptic, so there isnt much chance to get them right, they would just put 5x more adds in existing dungeons and call it a raid

• Options
    hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    kolbe11 wrote: »
    The casual gamer crowd, the ones who play less than 8 hours a week due to school/work/life will be rather disappointed in module 2 imo. Sure, there is a lot more content and classes to choose from, but the learning curve involved is a huge turn off to many. We take it for granted due to having played for as long as we have, but new comers and casual players alike find the breadth of things needed to be unenjoyable.

Module 2 just adds to that co mplexity and will thin the herds a bit more imo, leaving only individuals who fit into several specific GamerDNA categories.

Not a bad thing, just one that makes it a much more specialized genre.

The "problwm" is that some players posts thousands of posts in the forum and maybe devps think they are the majority of gamers but it isn true. the crowd of ppl who can play a sane number of hours a week often dodnt have time ti post again and againg preferring spending their free time to effectively play tha game. I know it is their "fault" if they dont let devps listen their voice, but the truth is that if devps make the game only for forum-posters, the game itself will not good for crowd. It will become only an elite game for few ppl.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The "problwm" is that some players posts thousands of posts in the forum and maybe devps think they are the majority of gamers but it isn true.

This isn't true. They collect a lot of metrics on what players are doing, how much time they spend doing it, and how many are doing it. They specifically cited this as a reason why they're changing the enchantment refinement system, because they saw (based on their data) that a majority of people WEREN'T using it. If they had listened to the "masses" on the forums, they wouldn't have made any changes.
    First, I wanted to say that this is on the Preview shard specifically so that we can get lots of feedback, improve the system, and make sure it's hitting all of our goals. Some players have commented that the current system on Live is "fine" but we disagree - our data shows that many players are not engaging in the current system due to the frustration of using it. If the system was performing well and making everyone happy, we would not have invested all of the time and effort into improving it that we have. We're still looking at and discussing the system constantly, and one of the main areas of discussion is what it takes to Upgrade an item - meaning the AD Cost, Catalysts and Wards part of the system.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?516571-Cryptic-OFFICIAL-Feedback-Thread-Refinement-System&p=6406541&viewfull=1#post6406541
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited December 2013

/rantoff
    Honestly you're ranting over a generalized mmo term that isn't even used for it's true definition. It's more used along the lines of "****". Do I agree it doesn't fit the actual definition of the word? Yes. But I also would state neither would "no lifer" ...does one literally have no life while playing Never winter? Cause I would suspect that would require them to be physically dead.

Gotta pick your battles on the internet, over over used terms is a losing one. Could yell at every kid who actually uses "****" informing them its not a real word, but theyll still use it, and so will others.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kolbe11 wrote: »
    Sure, there is a lot more content and classes to choose from, but the learning curve involved is a huge turn off to many.

What learning curve are you talking about? This game is pretty simple, except perhaps in PvP which I can't comment on as I don't take part in it.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013

/rantoff

There aren't any in Neverwinter, that I know about. However, I know some people that do a lot of streaming of games have been able to get some money or other material benefits from doing so. There as some primarily competitive games that do offer competitions with cash payouts. I can't remember the name of the game, but there is one out there putting a lot of effort into having competitions and competitive leagues with payouts. If the trend continues there may well end out being professional players of electronic games.

Also, I think your definition of professional is a bit too limited. I think it has much more to do with the attitude and conduct of a person in regards to his or her work, and how they interact with others in their performance of their duties, rather than what kind of training they have or designations they have earned, or even of the nature of their work tasks.

I have interacted with some competent customer service reps with a very customer focused attitude at times, just as I have interacted at times with doctors that were basically dialing it in and couldn't care less about my situation. Which of these is the professional?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't think that definition really works either. Plenty of gamers think pretty highly of themselves and refer to themselves as "pro" but are contemptuous and dismissive of casual players, newbies, roleplayers, etc.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    What learning curve are you talking about? This game is pretty simple, except perhaps in PvP which I can't comment on as I don't take part in it.

Again, we take for granted even the most basic aspects of this game as "assumed mechanics" or "derp" topics. However, the top issues I see from "newcomers" to my guild and even from my Wife (a previous WoW/GW2 player) relate to basic wtf do I do topics and I think the lack of tutorials has a lot to do with it. The game mechanics change a lot from level 1 to level 60. It is surprising how many people just wing it in this game until they are bored and leave.

Add in Artifacts, Companion stat bonuses, all these items and currencies... The game is a data overload for any casual.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad