test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF or GWF?

13»

Comments

• mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My GF hits like a truck with Threatening Rush. Frontline may have a long cooldown but when you can down 3-4 opponents that seems just fine to me.
    I'm not going to argue either way as I plan on trying both out. I main a GF, but also have a GWF so it'll be interesting to see where I end up.
  • hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    My GF hits like a truck with Threatening Rush. Frontline may have a long cooldown but when you can down 3-4 opponents that seems just fine to me.
    I'm not going to argue either way as I plan on trying both out. I main a GF, but also have a GWF so it'll be interesting to see where I end up.
    frontline surge is capped: max 3 enemies.
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Gf received ibs / Student of the Sword?

I do not understand anything ...
  • mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well then I guess I'm hitting 3. My point was that I wait until I'm able to hit more than one opponent if at all possible.
    It's very disruptive. Thank you for the clarification on that however.
  • spewnsspewns Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just don't understand what was going through the minds of the devs when they decided it was a good idea to transfer skills between two classes, other than utter laziness. You're just asking for difficult imbalance issues by doing that. Classes are supposed to be unique for a reason. They're literally taking the best skills out of the GFs kit and giving them to the GWF while GFs get barely anything worthwhile in return.

My first and only character to cap is a GF, currently sitting at 13k GS. I love the playstyle and anyone who has a hard time finding dungeons is doing something wrong. Sure, you have to work harder than CWs and TRs, but it doesn't take that long to find a team if you shout and watch the LFG channel. I absolute refuse to play GWF because I hate neanderthal classes.

Regardless of what module 2 brings, I'm continuing to play my GF. You'll regret playing a class you don't like more than playing one because it's top tier. Try them both and decide which one feels best for you. Personally, I'm bailing on fighters entirely once the ranger's released anyway. Ranged physical DPS has always been my class of preference.
  • slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    GWF's seem a lot more fun to play. I have two level 60 GWF's but i haven't gotten past level 45 with a GF yet.

It depends on how you like to play.

GWF: Fast paced, High damage, Lots of utility, Good survival, Sprint.

GF: Slow paced, Medium damage, Some utility, Excellent survival, Blocks with shield.

A sent build GWF is way more tanky than a GF no matter in PVP or PVE. GF can not even out tank a tanky DC, the only thing GF has over GWF after Mod 2 in terms of PVP is that u can BLOCK that Shocking Execution from the TR if u are even pro enough to do that.

There is no comparison needed to be made between GF and GWF, GF is like a second class citizen now.
  • koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    gwfs are fun! specially with mighty leap, you can troll people in pvp
  • ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    With the coming changes for MOD 2. Do not roll a GF and go GWF. GWF will have all of the bonus's of a GF + the Damage of GWF. As of MOD 2 GF's are going to be pretty low priority on teams.

Sums it up 100% I have both max geared and I can see gf becoming really bad compared to the new beefed up gwf
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    GWF all the way. Outstanding solo skills (though not on same level as perma stealth).

Although I have been having a blast with my TR (perma) as of late.

I just don't understand why the entire team starts to hunt me down. :(
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    GWF all the way. Outstanding solo skills (though not on same level as perma stealth).

Although I have been having a blast with my TR (perma) as of late.

I just don't understand why the entire team starts to hunt me down. :(

It's because we're annoying. People don't like annoying....Lol
    21.jpg
  • bentenmariabentenmaria Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    People seem to have forgotten that this is largely a PVE game and while module 2 does favour GWF in PVP - GF still laugh at GWF threat generation when it comes to dungeons.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    People seem to have forgotten that this is largely a PVE game and while module 2 does favour GWF in PVP - GF still laugh at GWF threat generation when it comes to dungeons.

roflmao /10
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    thestaggy wrote: »
    LOL! I wanted to be a melee player after leveling a Cleric. I chose a GF because the GWF was considered ''dead'' and now I see in this thread that the GF may well be on the road to dying.

It's best to take declarations of any class being dead or dying with a grain of salt. You'd be better off to level both a GF and GWF if you have the slots and determine which you feel is the best of the two for you.
  • rki3rki3 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    people seem to have forgotten that this is largely a pve game and while module 2 does favour gwf in pvp - gf still laugh at gwf threat generation when it comes to dungeons.

roflmfaomg
  • facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2013

Go hide yourself somewhere ...
  • godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013

What's pve? I thought this was a pvp game...
  • cyanbluestone007cyanbluestone007 Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Not sure if this guy has ever played a GWF. 1 abiity gives you a ridiculous amount of tankability Daring Shout.

Using this one ability i can tank just as good as a good GF and better than any average one. Play it with Weapon Master using the Master at Arms feat (grants 1/1.5/2/2.5/3% Deflect Chance, and having Weapon Master slotted increases your AC by 1/2/3/4/5.) and Bravery use Weapon Master Strike and either Sure Strike(single target) or Reaping Strike (AoE) for your At-Wills and Restoring strike [feated-Increases the effectiveness of your Defense stat by 20% and causes Restoring Strike to Heal an additional 50% over 3 seconds.]

Then tank like a beast because you will have Unstoppable up every 5 seconds.

Slot for Hit Points and Deflect

Edit: also Con and DEX are the primary attributes for this setup

Your comments make it sound like you have never played the GF.

And you are a poor GWF player to boot. You never go full tank as GWF, I dont even think this will change in module 2. If you can't dog the heels of a CW for Paingiver title you are useless as a GWF. Who cares if your are tough and unkillable a GF can do the same thing. The problem is a touch and unkillable GWF has no where near the threat and mob control of the tough and unkillable GF.

Both fighter classes are underdogs in neverwinter. GF has always held a better position over the GWF because players know that a GF can tank, in every spec and in any gear. GF can even do as much as or more damage than a GWF can while tanking, and being tougher than the full dps GWF builds.

The problem is this game does not need tanks. So a DPS build for both fighters is always the way to go. But a DPS build GF can when needed equip a full set of tank gear and can kite or wall tank as well as any party needs him too. A GWF needs full tank threat buffs to have any hope in holding threat, but module 1 threat of GWF is useless. In module 2 it should be better.

My advice on the two class. If you like speed mobility and less thinking while playing go GWF.
    If you like tactics control, measuring your defenses against your attacks, and trying to find the balance that gives you the edge in battle go GF

If both regaurds go Iron Vangaurd as your Paragon Path, Swordmaster blows for both classes. And Swordmaster is probably the real reason GWF has had such hate against it since the game went live, now in module 2 they can finally escape this crappy path.
  • layback16layback16 Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2013
    i Love GF tanker, but is losing place in pvp...

the GWF is being greatly benefited by the changes.

GWF can function tanker and can kill fast. has good mobility.

guilds do not use GF tank in your team as before.
    Teahupoo, GF TANK PVP (Stoped in time) :mad:

Teahup00, HR PVE :o
    edited December 2013
    Your comments make it sound like you have never played the GF.

And you are a poor GWF player to boot. You never go full tank as GWF, I dont even think this will change in module 2. If you can't dog the heels of a CW for Paingiver title you are useless as a GWF. Who cares if your are tough and unkillable a GF can do the same thing. The problem is a touch and unkillable GWF has no where near the threat and mob control of the tough and unkillable GF.

Both fighter classes are underdogs in neverwinter. GF has always held a better position over the GWF because players know that a GF can tank, in every spec and in any gear. GF can even do as much as or more damage than a GWF can while tanking, and being tougher than the full dps GWF builds.

The problem is this game does not need tanks. So a DPS build for both fighters is always the way to go. But a DPS build GF can when needed equip a full set of tank gear and can kite or wall tank as well as any party needs him too. A GWF needs full tank threat buffs to have any hope in holding threat, but module 1 threat of GWF is useless. In module 2 it should be better.

My advice on the two class. If you like speed mobility and less thinking while playing go GWF.
    If you like tactics control, measuring your defenses against your attacks, and trying to find the balance that gives you the edge in battle go GF

If both regaurds go Iron Vangaurd as your Paragon Path, Swordmaster blows for both classes. And Swordmaster is probably the real reason GWF has had such hate against it since the game went live, now in module 2 they can finally escape this crappy path.

GWF as a dps can tank without any problem provided lifesteal. Problem with GWF is that needs proper gear and spec while GF has a lighter gear requirement (u dont even need a t2 set to perform well in pve), but once geared GWF is superior in every aspect.
  • tarnum1349tarnum1349 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    7.jpg
  • cyanbluestone007cyanbluestone007 Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    ortzhy wrote: »
    GWF as a dps can tank without any problem provided lifesteal. Problem with GWF is that needs proper gear and spec while GF has a lighter gear requirement (u dont even need a t2 set to perform well in pve), but once geared GWF is superior in every aspect.

No a GWF is far from Superior I have seen the best of the best GWF's and the best they can do is match me for damage. And all of these awesome GWF's use Animation cancel on WMS for every possible DPS boost they can muster. And of course without any threat boost they cannot compare to my damage, so in module 2 it is unlikely that GWF Iron Vangaurd will beat my GF Iron vangaurd, because swordmaster never will. I think I have an advantage because since I am taking more hits I get more AP and thus do alot more damage. Either way it does not matter since CW's would rather have me in group than any GWF because I can do DPS and hold threat off great CW's while a GFW can never hold Threat on a class that does more damage than them.

It's plain and simple

I do understand many GF's do not play high damage builds like I do, and there are few as good as me at damage GF, but it is also true for GWF very Few are good at doing damage. But since GF can play other builds and still be accepted in parties and since the best GWF cannot compare to the best GF's the class certainly has alot more short comings then the module 2 buffs could hope to make up for.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    You have been playing with GWFs not built for AOE dps.

GF should never out damage a GWF in PVE if the GWF is built for DPS, especially AOE DPS.

As far as keeping the team clean in PVE? Avalanche of Steel is one of the best dailies in the game with a no cap prone effect with some damage. That is 2 seconds of zero damage upon landing, no need for threat unless the CW is totally new and not been in a group setting.
    edited December 2013
    No a GWF is far from Superior I have seen the best of the best GWF's and the best they can do is match me for damage. And all of these awesome GWF's use Animation cancel on WMS for every possible DPS boost they can muster. And of course without any threat boost they cannot compare to my damage, so in module 2 it is unlikely that GWF Iron Vangaurd will beat my GF Iron vangaurd, because swordmaster never will. I think I have an advantage because since I am taking more hits I get more AP and thus do alot more damage. Either way it does not matter since CW's would rather have me in group than any GWF because I can do DPS and hold threat off great CW's while a GFW can never hold Threat on a class that does more damage than them.

It's plain and simple

I do understand many GF's do not play high damage builds like I do, and there are few as good as me at damage GF, but it is also true for GWF very Few are good at doing damage. But since GF can play other builds and still be accepted in parties and since the best GWF cannot compare to the best GF's the class certainly has alot more short comings then the module 2 buffs could hope to make up for.

I am always keen to learn new builds and such so if u have some nice build like that please make a bit of time and do a guide cause atm my conq GF seems to struggle at competing in dps and tanking in the same time. :o
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    SO how many more back and forth aguments are we going t see? My GF is better than your GWF <--> no MY GWF is better than your GF. It all comes down to build, spec and skill!

I have a GF who is essentially un-killable (and no I am not issuing a challenge, I'm referring to solo PVE here) However ... He is completely and totally setup for Soloing, with reasonable damage, and almost nil threat (I had a DC say something very impolite to me and leave me after only 1 quest in Rothe Valley because "I wasn't playing a GF properly")

I've spec'd him with huge amounts of recovery/regen/life steal and with a blue CD who gets more aggro than him (but she's a trooper with tons of HP) he can CA + Crit every mob and boss and never take damage. (he sprouts more green numbers than a Unicorn sprouts butterfly's and rainbows from is a**) But (as the DC above pointed out) it's a very "selfish" build with almost nil usefulness in groups or dungeons. However on the Final Dungeon in Rothe Valley, when I mentioned I was a GF soloing, all the TR's, CW's and DC's kept saying "oohh it's tough, take heaps of potions and you should be ... err ...ok" Yet I found it ridiculously easy. (had more trouble with the wolves in Icespire)

The point is you can build a GF or GWF almost any way you like, and then you can play them almost any way you like, my advice is to try both and experiment with gear/enchants/powers/feats and see which works best for you and what you want to accomplish in game.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
    edited December 2013
    bendalek wrote: »
    The point is you can build a GF or GWF almost any way you like, and then you can play them almost any way you like, my advice is to try both and experiment with gear/enchants/powers/feats and see which works best for you and what you want to accomplish in game.

Best advice in this thread so far.
    21.jpg
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    GWF > GF in DMG

GF > GWF in Tanking

The reason being is because GWF was designed as a "Damage" class, while GF was designed as a tank class.

You may personally have a different opinion and experience with your group of friends. But I've played since beta launch /w a wide verity of players in BiS rank 10's with many different builds. Before the STAL nerf my GF was top DMG even more than CWs because I ran a very broken DPS build/gear. (I would cleave for 5-13k per target.)

After the STAL nerf GF's dmg was hit very hard and a properly built DPS GWF playing correctly would out dmg me every time. Now playing vs. your average player I would do millions more dmg and DPS was 1000's more. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter how much more dmg your class does if your team can't finish the instance.

So focus more on completing the mission and less on who's top DMG.
  • cedarycedary Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have L60 DC/CW/TR/GF, I like all my char...

RPG... role play... most importance is play your part. All class got their part to play. GF make sure get most DMG from the mods. DC make sure keep your party HP up. CW hold the adds while the rest can 'rest' a while. TR/GWF do their best DPS & 'protect' DC/CW :)

Who get most DPS is not so importance, most importance is all alive after last boss :)
    edited December 2013
    cedary wrote: »
    I have L60 DC/CW/TR/GF, I like all my char...

RPG... role play... most importance is play your part. All class got their part to play. GF make sure get most DMG from the mods. DC make sure keep your party HP up. CW hold the adds while the rest can 'rest' a while. TR/GWF do their best DPS & 'protect' DC/CW :)

Who get most DPS is not so importance, most importance is all alive after last boss :)

I like this guy.
    21.jpg