test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Incentive (Daily Quest)

nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
Currently, the Daily Foundry quest is probably the most time consuming in terms of reward per minute spent, especially if you play Foundry quests that take longer than the minimum 15 minutes.

I'm thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to make it similar to PvP where you can get 2 points towards the daily, by giving you 2 Foundry points towards your daily quest if you complete a Foundry that actually takes you longer than 30 minutes.

This would also encourage authors to keep creating longer Foundry quests and maybe reduce the farming of grinding foundries where teams of 5 beat a Foundry in 4-5 minutes per run.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    I lost count how many times I've asked for this.

Foundry Missions are not one size fits all! I literally feel punched in the gut every time I play a Foundry Mission that is well designed but happens to be an hour long and I get rewarded the same amount as if I rushed through a 15 minute Foundry Quest.

Longer Quests need to be appropriately rewarded for anything besides Daily Farm Quests to be properly appreciated.
  • hav0clolhav0clol Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Are foundries really about the reward?

IMO quest designers should get around this by segmenting their foundries. There's a pretty good campaign system in place to deal with this. I personally don't have the patience to sit through an hr or so foundries at once, even if they're 5-star.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Fifteen minutes is too short of a time period to make a good quest.

It's the bare minimum. It's what makes a decent quest. About 30-45 minutes is ideal for a good story to unfold in a foundry quest.
  • guaraguao34guaraguao34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

It's the bare minimum. It's what makes a decent quest. About 30-45 minutes is ideal for a good story to unfold in a foundry quest.

Imagine running 30-45 mins 4 TIMES, to get the daily done, in my case weekly since i only do them when lord neverwhatever have his daily running, it would be horrible to do that 4 times. Im not against the idea of higher rewards for people that runs those long foundry quest, im totally in favor. Arena daily foundry its perfect for the one when its a dual daily and want it to do it really fast, but for people that do the longer ones, specially everyday, either to enjoy it or for ad, they should have higher rewards. If its done with both dailies, it definitely should be higher rewards, if you guys (dev's) do give higher rewards, please dont lower the 12k ad total for running the arena one, aka faster ones, some people cant stay for long time or log everyday.
    edited November 2013
    That's the point, imagine running 30-45 minutes four times to get a daily done instead of 15 minutes four times.

It's a punch in the gut to get rewarded for 15 minutes of gameplay whther you do a quest which takes an average of fifteen minutes or five hours.

I never suggested punishing those who do fifteen minute quests, simply stop punishing those who do the longer ones. If I do a foundry mission which has an average completion time of 30 minutes I should be rewarded for doing two quests. 45 minutes, three quests. 60+ minutes, 4 quests.

I don't want to spend 2-3 hours doing a daily either which is why I don't even play foundry content anymore, the daily makes it beyond depressing to do anything besides silly fifteen minute quests which I don't enjoy. Myself and the OP simply want to get appropriately rewarded for doing foundry missions which have more depth than Bill's Tavern...
  • danielhoglandanielhoglan Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Probably the only solution is to create a long foundry with 3/4... episodes of 15 minutes each one, but this is a PLAYER SOLUTION, not a DEV SOLUTION. i think most people enjoied this game feature, but DEVS still ignoring it and not incentivate players to use this feature.
    sorry for my language
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    Foundry rewards and dailies in general were brought up as possible things to look at in the next major update. I think the foundry rewards were OK when we shipped but after Sharandar they quickly became overshadowed.

I know i haven't turned in the foundry daily for at least a month since there are other alternatives that are easily more rewarding. I usually play a foundry quest only when someone internally suggests it.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    panderus wrote: »
    Foundry rewards and dailies in general were brought up as possible things to look at in the next major update. I think the foundry rewards were OK when we shipped but after Sharandar they quickly became overshadowed.

I know i haven't turned in the foundry daily for at least a month since there are other alternatives that are easily more rewarding. I usually play a foundry quest only when someone internally suggests it.

That sounds potentially promising , *blue marks* hint hint?
    edited November 2013
    Thank you for keeping us in the loop panderus.

As you can tell this is something that bothers me quite a bit as I love the Foundry and the content but I hate the reward system. I have since well before Fury of the Feywild, too.

Like you I still play quests that friends design or recommend to me but I don't actively look to run foundry content anymore and when I say it feels like a punch in the gut I mean it. Depressing just isn't a strong enough word on its own.

It means a lot to actually get recognition to the issue. Thank you!
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Foundry rewards and dailies in general were brought up as possible things to look at in the next major update. I think the foundry rewards were OK when we shipped but after Sharandar they quickly became overshadowed

Um, no. Foundry rewards were (are!) weak at best. Foundry Dailies very bland and uninspiring. Final Chest absolutely depressing, and the source of massive amounts of 1-star reviews and a MAJOR frustration of Foundry Authors.

FIRST major fix needed: Foundry Search NEW tab returns BEST tab results

You want an incredibly easy (1 developer week?) fix that will have people running to foundries?
    Take 10% of mob "loot explosion" items/coinage and SHIFT it into Final Chest
    Absolutely NO change in total rewards, HUGE change in "perception" of Final Chest reward.
    No one pays attention to loot explosions -- but suddenly they get 20+ "rewards" from final chest? Wow.

Another place Foundry rewards are totally failing: There are NO Non-Combat rewards possible.
    Suggestion: Foundry Doubloons - Non-Encounter XP/Rewards

Another incredibly easy enhancement?
    Encounter Based minor "loot caches"
    Take the 10% loot shift above from a list of specified encounters and add them to a "minor" chest the Foundry author can place/hide.

You could "ride" those four simple fixes until Module 3 with ease.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hav0clol wrote: »
    Are foundries really about the reward?

Yes, they are about the reward.

The reward for playing 15ish minute foundries is the AD you receive when completing the required number. The reward for playing longer foundries is the enjoyment of playing an adventure created by a fellow player.

The wise player, when collecting AD is his sole goal, spends his time on short quests that will maximize his AD gain per minute so spent, and when looking for a well crafted adventure to enjoy will seek out longer quests.

The system accommodates both needs just fine as it is, so long as the players using it apply common sense and use it properly for the particular goal they currently have in mind... AD generation or quest enjoyment.
    edited November 2013
    Players should not be punished for having fun.

End of story.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Thanks for contributing feedback.

I'd like to suggest that it might be preferable to err on the side of making Foundry content slightly more rewarding than intended than to leave it as is (i.e. generally unrewarding). The Foundry has great potential to enhance the game's longevity, but not if players don't continue to utilize it.

- For the Daily issue, decrease number of Foundries required to 2 so that players looking to earn the AD might consider it worth their time to regularly experience Foundry content.

- Add a reward chest to Protector's Enclave that activates when the Daily Foundry is complete and has a chance to generate desirable rewards roughly on par with the miscellaneous loot from dungeon chests (e.g. a random enchant shard, marks for refining, etc.).

- The loot chests in Foundries need some kind of overhaul, obviously. Having to use the chest at all is really an inconvenience since nothing useful ever comes out of it. Allowing useful rewards to generate as suggested above would be ideal if some sort of time control could be implemented to disable good loot profiles from being generated for 2 minute quests.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Problems I see with the foundry system in general and in no particular order:

No non-combat rewards. Story-focused quests thereby suffer greatly. I feel I have to add encounters just to get it played.

The "BEST" tab is a misnomer at best. Rename it to "Most Played" or something. Who are you to say what's "best"? I find my tastes differ greatly from "Daily Runners" (those just looking for the shortest play that qualifies for daily AD).

Daily Foundry qualification is 15-minutes is "revokable". My "Blacklake Luskan" quest is an exploratorium, average play time was 20 minutes and it was qualified for the longest time. However, because it's an exploratory style quest, it becomes repayable in a matter of 10 minutes. More plays by Daily Runners and the average play time drops. That quest that WAS qualified for dailies and now is NOT-QUALIFIED - because the runners caused the average play time to fall. No new players because it is now "14-Minutes" average play-time. So it now is a "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> quest" because anyone browsing will think that's the type of quest it is: uninteresting, low attention-to-detail slap-together, when it took me a month to create it.

In short (TL;DR):

Foundry System needs -

Once a quest is "qualified" for dailies, don't revoke that. (I know, I won't ever hold my breath on hope for this).

Non-combat rewards: this is major. There needs to be compelling rewards for completing the quest, regardless of how much combat is involved. Seriously, this one is killing me (and many others I know).

Rename the "BEST" category to something a little more truthful. The quests listed there are not necessarily (for most: hardly) the "Best". And while on the subject: instead of calling the newest tab "For Review" - how about something more truthful, like - oh, say "Newest".

If it were up to me - I'd take the Daily Foundry "quest" and make it not a daily. Give that reward (2000 AD or whatever it is) and make it 24/7: play five (5) foundry quests within 24 hours and turn it in. No set time-frame each day. That's just stupid and creates the "Foundry Quest-Runners" looking for the shortest possible qualified quests, which are often junk, created only for that purpose. Require only three of the five be "play time qualified" - this might encourage more to try the Newest Quests, er, excuse me, I mean "Worthless rewards for-review try-not-to-waste-your-time" quests.

Go figure.

Are these definitive answers and solutions? I most certainly don't claim them to be. I also don't claim to know everything there is to know about the system. I can only say it sucks that my quests aren;t playable because they are 1) "not qualified" for fancy AD daily rewards and 2) I *must* add truckloads of combat to even make them "worth playing".

As for finding the kind of quests I enjoy - well, that's another matter altogether. I beg the the Devs to work on fixing the things I've mention above that benefit both players and authors, then focus on the "visibility" for those looking for good quests to play, review system, tags, etcetera.

I'm just a nobody player, so I don;t expect my words to carry any weight. I only hope they don't fall on entirely deaf (Devs) ears.

Also - in response to Panderus' comment, I've learned the hard way to never trust to hope on any Dev comment; "...brought up as possible things to look at..." - the operative word being POSSIBLE. In other words: it's a definite possible maybe.

~sighs~
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

....and this would not be enough to look at the Foundry Daily (as it is?)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Foundry daily rewards were probably ok before so many exploit quests were created, and for the few days that everyone was still within the range of getting their daily for doing just one or two foundries. Then the fast levelling combined with the requirement to do four foundries for a daily at level 40+ made longer quests far less appealing to run. Long/story/explorer quests struggle to even get enough plays to qualify for a daily, while decent quests that have qualified fall prey to speedrunning and lose their status. It's a mess.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Reward a seal-type currency in the rewards chest, and you turn 60 of those in to complete the daily. For each minute of the the foundry's average duration, you get one seal.

You could consider letting these foundry seals be used in other ways. Maybe you could trade them for campaign items or at least something. This would make the random generated loot not seem so bad, as you have some reward that scales with the time investment.

Second major improvement would be to allow designers to add potential profession node spawns. I say "potential" because the nodes would only spawn if the average duration was long enough. Something like one potential node would actually spawn per 5 minutes of average duration.

To me, these seem like they wouldn't require designing entirely new systems. It would be a significant improvement to the attractiveness of foundry quests using backend stuff that's already in the game.
This discussion has been closed.