test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why no cooldown if u switch enchants?

yuccapalmyuccapalm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
edited November 2013 in PvE Discussion
I already have my Soulforged on my second armor. I'll switch it if im low hp, if I die I will get revived with about 10k hp. You can play with an Elven battle / Negation or what ever and open ur inventar and switch soulforged if ur about to die. So why u dont give enchants like 1 min cooldown or 90 seconds. I also take advantage of switching but with the new soulforged it will be even more op. I think any enchant should get at least 20 seconds cooldown if u switch it...
Post edited by yuccapalm on

Comments

• Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They just need either to disable equipment swaps when in combat and/or while an effect is on cooldown (like the primary slot artifact in Module 2).
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why do you think that Soulforged, the only armor enhancement that grants a meaningful advantage by armor swapping, has been controversially changed in Module 2 instead of an entirely new enchantment (like in all previous releases)?

Much cheaper and easier to change just one enhancement than overhaul an inventory system.

===

Otherwise, good idea. But far too late for current Soulforged :/
  • Options
    kaoswpkaoswp Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I am with the OP on this one. If you made it to where when an enchant is equiped, it acts like it just proced and goes into cooldown, that would really work well.

Great thought!
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They should just disable item swapping in a pvp match. Force people to use the gear they had equipped when they entered the pvp instance. Problem solved. (i'm starting to get sick of all the exploiters...)

• Options
    edited November 2013
    They should just disable item swapping in a pvp match. Force people to use the gear they had equipped when they entered the pvp instance. Problem solved. (i'm starting to get sick of all the exploiters...)

Bad and unnecessary idea. It should be at least possible to swap gear in spawn areas to combat different enemy compositions or strategy swaps.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    Bad and unnecessary idea. It should be at least possible to swap gear in spawn areas to combat different enemy compositions or strategy swaps.

i agree with this. item swapping should just be unavailable in combat.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That's stupid.. you should be able to swap during combat... just let the enchantments keep current cooldown on armor that was active when you switch.

Stop trying to limit our choices in armor tactics....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    That's stupid.. you should be able to swap during combat... just let the enchantments keep current cooldown on armor that was active when you switch.

Stop trying to limit our choices in armor tactics....

i'll put this to you in a D&D perspective.

my level 60 character, fred, is battling trolls and is getting severely beaten when a beholder pops out of nowhere. fred knows he has better suited enchanted armor. i tell the DM:

me: i'm going to swap armor!
    DM: seriously?
    me: yes!
    DM: <rolls dice> that puts you inactive for 12 minutes... and... <rolls dice> the trolls and the beholder eat you for lunch.
    me: NOOOO!!!!!!

swapping armor in a few seconds just isn't a very believable scenario in combat. doing so to extend your survivability can be construed as an unfair advantage over other players, both in pve and pvp.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    some of us... have basic shirts as armor.. leather armor...
    Also notice this game is not exactly like D&D or AD&D.
    You change weapons rings and even armor depending on who your DM is when playing.
    Some DM's will make you drop the item you are trying to equipt...
    We don't have the full random aspect here as well...
    So if you want to try to bring real D&D elements to this as we did while playing, it's not possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    You see mages casting spells all day long without regaining them the D&D way..
    TR can't re-arm traps or set new traps.
    When we rest at campfires its only 2 mins instead of hours to heal...

You want real D&D methods in a MMO ... it's not gonna work the same...

End of story...

Best option to make this armor issue a non issue is to keep the current enchantment cooldown on switching to new armor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Being able to swap armor during combat is "stupid".

Swap while not engaged? Go for it.
  • Options
    immahealyounowimmahealyounow Member Posts: 57
    edited November 2013
    I see no problem with enchant swapping because it is available to everyone and doesn't require any weird tricks/exploits to pull off. Can you press the "I" key? can you double click the enchant you are swapping to? If yes, then congratulations, you can enchant swap. Obviously, having the coordination to this while the boss or other players are trying to kill you isn't exactly practical, but if you can pull it off, it's one more way to optimize your character. Do you have two perfects? Ok, great. You best start working on your third.

Does enchant swapping have a basis in D&D 4e (the system this game is based on)? Yes. I've played D&D 4e for a few years now, and item swapping is a very viable way to play the game. There were several ways in 4e to make drawing and stowing items a free action (effectively zero time). Many players who were extreme character optimizers would grab many different items with various enchantments and swap between them freely both during and out of combat. Sure, it is extremely hard to do this with, for example, *Armor*, but weapons/rings/items were a completely different story. DMs would need to up encounter budgets by 3-4 levels over "hard" difficulty to present even remote challenges.

If 4e is the justification to disable all enchant swapping, then potions ought to take a couple of seconds to channel before activating because your character in 4e would have to stow their weapon (minor action), draw the potion (minor action), and drink the potion (another minor action).

One thing I think we can all agree on is that enchant swapping definitely upsets some people. But, so do perma rogues, tenebrous, GF chain prones, sentinel GWFs, lashing blade crits, shocking execution, ice knife one-shots etc.
    * Blessing - 60 DC * * Blessa - 60 GWF * * Blessed - 60 TR * * Bless - 60 GF * * Blessings - 50 CW * * BlessedArr0w - 30 HR *

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    therealjaelustherealjaelus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited November 2013
    Armor swapping in combat as it is now is an exploit, because it is circumventing the enchant cooldown period. Just because you can do something does not make it right. All exploits are things you can do in the game. I lose a lot of respect for people I see doing it in a match. If you want to change your armor, go off to the side and do it outside of combat.

I mean, you could be invincible with enough perfect barkshields, swapping them over and over again so you always had one with 3 charges on. Possibilities like this are obviously design oversights and are not working as intended.

I see no justification for being able to swap a full suit of armor in combat with no round time. I have no problem with someone swapping armor in combat if, say, it locks down all their abilities for 15 seconds and roots them. If you want to pop an immunity and swap and take the penalty because you think it's the best option; more power to you.

I used to play an MMO called Gemstone III. You had round time to wear and remove any piece of armor, during which you could take no action. If you wanted to, you could train in armor and reduce this round time. You could even get it down to very low amounts (1 second or so) for light armor if you were a master in the skill. Swapping weapons could be done quickly, but you were vulnerable while doing it (huge defense penalty). Something like that is realistic and opens up the possibility for people to do it if they need to.
    garret_fi.png
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I switch my whole gear in combat on my DC in PvE during boss fights, from tanky-healing gear into debuffing gear.

Why on earth would you want cryptic to prevent us from doing that?

We don't have to get our PvE screwed even more, because of the coding failure being abused on PvP side.

Just prevent CDs to be reseted on enchants when the armor is being swapped. Problem solved.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You see mages casting spells all day long without regaining them the D&D way..
    TR can't re-arm traps or set new traps.
    When we rest at campfires its only 2 mins instead of hours to heal...

You want real D&D methods in a MMO ... it's not gonna work the same...

End of story...

Best option to make this armor issue a non issue is to keep the current enchantment cooldown on switching to new armor.

Umm, you realise that this is 4e DnD, it isn't like 1-3.5 where you had to pick the spells you wanted to cast and could only cast them once per day. In 4e you had 3 types of spell/ability-

At-Will - Can be used every round in combat without having to recharge it.

Encounter - Can be used a limited amount of times per encounter (normally once) before needing a short rest (10 minutes) to recharge it.

Daily - Once per day, needs an extended rest to recharge it (6 hours)

Now whilst I'll admit that it's still not 100% accurate ingame, it's remains true that a mage can run around casting Magic Missile all day in a 4e PnP game as well.

Besides, no other MMO out there allows for switching armour and weapons in the middle of combat from your inventory, probably the only reason they allowed it in this one is because you need to literally stand still in combat for 20-30 seconds to do it which usually results in you being killed.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Armor swapping outside of combat and without resetting enchant CDs is fine with me. Armor swapping in the mid of the combat especially to gain another BS or SF charge is a coward's exploit. Just die and respawn already.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Based on your post, it doesn't sound like you've done any real testing of enchant swapping mechanics before taking a position. Instead, it feels like you are making assumptions.
    Armor swapping in combat as it is now is an exploit, because it is circumventing the enchant cooldown period.

I mean, you could be invincible with enough perfect barkshields, swapping them over and over again so you always had one with 3 charges on. Possibilities like this are obviously design oversights and are not working as intended.

The natural extension of this statement is that you can have infinite soulforge, negation, or any other enchant you want to create an invincible character. However, if you actually go onto the PTR and try it out, you'll find that like enchants share a global cooldown (multiple negations, thunderheads, and soulforges all share a different timer per enchantment type) and that freshly equipped barkshields only come with one charge. Therefore, it doesn't matter if you 7 have billion armors with thunderhead enchants in your inventory, you can still only benefit from one every XX seconds. The fact that it was coded this way suggests to me that this behavior is intentional. Same deal for multiple holy avengers, feytouched, etc. So, there's no way to circumvent cooldown timers to my knowledge purely via enchant swapping that I'm aware of.

If you COULD circumvent the timer by doing that, I'd totally buy the argument that it's an exploit.
    * Blessing - 60 DC * * Blessa - 60 GWF * * Blessed - 60 TR * * Bless - 60 GF * * Blessings - 50 CW * * BlessedArr0w - 30 HR *

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    esteena wrote: »
    I switch my whole gear in combat on my DC in PvE during boss fights, from tanky-healing gear into debuffing gear.

We don't have to get our PvE screwed even more, because of the coding failure being abused on PvP side.

Just prevent CDs to be reseted on enchants when the armor is being swapped. Problem solved.

You have a very good point. I do this all the time on multiple classes in PvE, especially DC because of different phases of long boss fights.

So, yes, only the CD mechanics on armor swap need to be solved (as per the OP), not removing an entirely useful and legitimate aspect of the game.
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    You have a very good point. I do this all the time on multiple classes in PvE, especially DC because of different phases of long boss fights.

So, yes, only the CD mechanics on armor swap need to be solved (as per the OP), not removing an entirely useful and legitimate aspect of the game.

Exactly. And it is possible as they already did that with the Artifacts.
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i'll put this to you in a D&D perspective.

my level 60 character, fred, is battling trolls and is getting severely beaten when a beholder pops out of nowhere. fred knows he has better suited enchanted armor. i tell the DM:

me: i'm going to swap armor!
    DM: seriously?
    me: yes!
    DM: <rolls dice> that puts you inactive for 12 minutes... and... <rolls dice> the trolls and the beholder eat you for lunch.
    me: NOOOO!!!!!!

swapping armor in a few seconds just isn't a very believable scenario in combat. doing so to extend your survivability can be construed as an unfair advantage over other players, both in pve and pvp.

Does your D&D rule contain a die penalty for PvP? If no, then bad. If yes, why it isn't implemented in PvP?
    And for the realistic act: You can switch your armor(it's only difficult for a heavy armor/slow person).

And the +Glory rewards in utility slot help to gain additionally glory same as fey blessing. Don't allow them to be changed, break some choices and usefulness of enchantmen(lol how will use +glory in a slot for PvE?.
  • Options
    manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    There were several ways in 4e to make drawing and stowing items a free action (effectively zero time). Many players who were extreme character optimizers would grab many different items with various enchantments and swap between them freely both during and out of combat. Sure, it is extremely hard to do this with, for example, *Armor*, but weapons/rings/items were a completely different story. DMs would need to up encounter budgets by 3-4 levels over "hard" difficulty to present even remote challenges.

It wasn't "extremely hard" to do with armor, it was impossible. Any DM that would allow such nonsense is not worth their salt. We're not talking about rings and items here, we're talking about armor enchants. It's an exploit because there is no reasonable explanation as to why this practice should be allowed. Enchants have cooldowns for a reason. This was clearly a design oversight and you are just deluding yourself if you think otherwise.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    esteena wrote: »

They should prevent exploiters, from being able to survive in situations, which without armor swapping would kill them. Changing an entire set from DD to tank can also be considered an exploit btw, because it gives an unfair/unintended advantage over people who don't swap their gear.

bluedarky wrote: »
    Besides, no other MMO out there allows for switching armour and weapons in the middle of combat from your inventory, probably the only reason they allowed it in this one is because you need to literally stand still in combat for 20-30 seconds to do it which usually results in you being killed.

The exploiters are using macros, to swap their entire gear by pressing one key. That's 2 exploits in 1, tbh.

Based on your post, it doesn't sound like you've done any real testing of enchant swapping mechanics before taking a position. Instead, it feels like you are making assumptions.

There is no such thing as "enchant swapping mechanics" in this game. Since 1+1 = 2, it is a glitch
    and abusing a glitch is to be considered, exploiting.

I really hope the devs are going to take a look at this problem.

• Options
    slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    oh yeah no joke, I despise those people who use this bug. So lame...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    manholio wrote: »
    It wasn't "extremely hard" to do with armor, it was impossible. Any DM that would allow such nonsense is not worth their salt. We're not talking about rings and items here, we're talking about armor enchants. It's an exploit because there is no reasonable explanation as to why this practice should be allowed. Enchants have cooldowns for a reason. This was clearly a design oversight and you are just deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

It's definitely not possible by any way that I know how, but we DID have a guy who showed up at the table a couple of years ago and managed to do it through creative item use. I remember it seeming a bit convoluted, but the DM at that particular game allowed it, so I'm not going to say it's impossible (and I'm more than willing to allow that yeah, that DM could have been garbage), but very hard. I just figured I wasn't creative enough to figure it out.

To be clear this thread is about "enchant swapping" not "armor swapping." Weapons and other enchanted items which ARE easy to swap in 4e tabletop work the same way here. Besides, you can't circumvent the cooldown timers anyway. If you proc a soulforged, switching to a second soulforge does nothing for you. As I stated in my earlier post, hop on the PTR and try it. Maybe you know something I don't, but enchants of like type appear to share the same global cooldown timer. To me, it seems like the devs realize that getting multiple SFs or Negations or Thunderheads would be ridiculous, and so they prevent you from doing that (bosses/pvp would become a joke - imagine infinite DR bonuses from negation and immune to damage status from soulforged). But if you're going to die with the amount of burst dps in PVP/PVE in this game, all the armor, weapon, ring, belt, or whatever swapping probably isn't going save you anyway.

Even if gear containing an armor/weapon enchant can no longer be swapped, who's to say somebody couldn't get boosts to stats they need at the time (a rogue switching to a full regen/deflect set after blowing their encounters comes to mind). Again, I'm happy with the system in it's current state because EVERYONE can do it and I personally think it adds an interesting element of strategy to the game ("which enchant is best used in this combat?"), but if they remove it they should ensure NOBODY can do it with ANY piece of gear.

Either way, I'm a happy gal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    Does your D&D rule contain a die penalty for PvP? If no, then bad. If yes, why it isn't implemented in PvP?
    And for the realistic act: You can switch your armor(it's only difficult for a heavy armor/slow person).

And the +Glory rewards in utility slot help to gain additionally glory same as fey blessing. Don't allow them to be changed, break some choices and usefulness of enchantmen(lol how will use +glory in a slot for PvE?.

you do bring up a very good point.

death in tabletop d&d means game over. but it becomes an issue of what kind of concession are we going to make because this is an MMO? there currently isn't any penalty for dying in pvp. you just respawn.

if you are able to continue to benefit from an armor enchant that has already proc'd by swapping armor, then why have a cool down at all? in my opinion, this is definitely something that has been missed and we'll see a fix for in the future. whether that fix is to prevent armor swapping in combat or chaining cool downs from one enchant to the other, either would be a welcome change.

it's not so much wanting to prevent changing armor bonuses needed in pve strategies, but moreso a prevention of taking advantage of endless soulforged or endless any enchantment... which is already used towards unfair advantages in pvp.
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    IMO it should apply a global cooldown rather than item specific cooldown:

Just proced your soulforged? Swap armor won't let it proc again until the initial cooldown has worn off on your CHARACTER (as opposed to ITEM).

Particularly with Module 2 where Soulforge actually revives you, this would be necessary IMO as people (such as TR) can just get our of combat mode fast and swap armor. Additionally, you don't count as in combat immediately after being revived usually.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    To be clear this thread is about "enchant swapping" not "armor swapping."

Are you serious? Enchantments are imbued, into armors...
    Anyways, trying to justify abusing glitches isn't going to work on this one.

Take care.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Are you serious? Enchantments are imbued, into armors...
    Anyways, trying to justify abusing glitches isn't going to work on this one.

Take care.

I'm quite serious. It doesn't even look like you read the post.

Other items BESIDES armors have enchantments. Your weapons, rings, belt, shoes, etc all have offense/defense/weapon enchant slots where enchants are slotted, don't they? I'm not sure why everyone insists on ONLY focusing on armors. If you want to change the current system, you should make it apply to ALL enchants INCLUDING stat boosting ones when changing. Allow gear swaps all day if you want, but none of the stats or special enchant properties take effect until some global CD is up (of course, there's the stats from the gear itself but our focus in this thread deals with the enchants).

I'm not sure how I can be any clearer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Because changing a weapon is plausible... unlike swapping entire sets during combat. Besides, boots, gloves and helmets are armor parts. Armor doesn't mean "chestplate" or "harnish" etc.