test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mount Skins

twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Wouldn't it be nice if you could re-skin your mount with a new mount that comes out, similar to transmutation?

Buy an account wide purple mount and then be able to re-skin with other mounts you acquire in game would be a great feature and if you set the price right, they would make much more money versus the current model.

I have to imagine that not many people pay to upgrade a green mount like the new shadow wolf to purple, especially since it's only effective for that one character, not your account, but how many people would pay to re-skin their current account wide purple mount with a new mount model they found in game?
Post edited by twstdecho on

Comments

• Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    twstdecho wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be nice if you could re-skin your mount with a new mount that comes out, similar to transmutation?

Buy an account wide purple mount and then be able to re-skin with other mounts you acquire in game would be a great feature and if you set the price right, they would make much more money versus the current model.

I have to imagine that not many people pay to upgrade a green mount like the new shadow wolf to purple, especially since it's only effective for that one character, not your account, but how many people would pay to re-skin their current account wide purple mount with a new mount model they found in game?

Anything would be better than paying the absurd millions it costs to upgrade mounts.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    dsolzdsolz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmmm epic wolf in a sheep skin hehe ....

Anyway I like the idea. The shadow wolf does looks cool. If not because i already have a rank 3 mount and the high price i have to pay to train the shadow wolf to rank 3, i might want to use it.
  • Options
    xperfixperfi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    really nice idea :-).
    the upgrading costs for a green mount to a purple one are just way too high with 2832000 ads and it's just for one char. I mean I would only do this if it was a big nice flying dragon. Why would I spent so much ads for one mount when I can have for 3500 Zen (~1351000 ads) a purple mount for my whole acc?
    that's why I am not even bothering to farm this new event wolf mount since it's only green and I have a purple mount for my main char, though I like the way the wolf mount looks.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd like it if the mount upgrade tomes make the mount account wide. That way the 2.83mill AD cost is pretty palatable imo(given it's purely cosmetic so should cost more than a stock type mount).
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Was just thinking about that because of the awesome Shadow Wolf design. Spending
    3 million ADs would be way beyond me. However, if they let us combine mounts
    (transmuting that could be undone) I'd like to buy a cool purple mount and sometimes
    put the Shadow Wolf's skin on it.

Once they add a section for mounts like they have for storing companions, I'll
    start collecting/buying more of them. Right now I'd have to go to the bank
    and swap them each time.

I like the idea, btw.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This idea, would be absolutely amazing. Even if the tool-tip stayed the same (Say, I change the Clydesdale into a tiger, but it still says Clydesdale) that would be awesome.
    tang56 wrote: »
    I'd like it if the mount upgrade tomes make the mount account wide. That way the 2.83mill AD cost is pretty palatable imo(given it's purely cosmetic so should cost more than a stock type mount).

I'd do that deal in a heart beat (well, months of heartbeats, so I could save up the AD for it XD). Even if it meant eating two bank spaces on all my characters, that'd be worth while. Although, honestly, I'm absolutely content with my rank 1 mounts. Much like unslotting currently is on live (Can't wait for the changes to come for that) I feel no need to shell out money/AD for purples because the price is far from palatable

So hey, maybe if they decide to rework the mount system, they could work this in. Or just work this and the mount skin idea in, in general.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    xcessiveforce40xcessiveforce40 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    outstanding idea!
    Founder: Xcessiveforce GF, Xcessiveheals DC, XcessiveRange HR, XcessiveArcana CW, XcessiveStab TR
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    syka08, +1 bajillion for your avatar and sig. ;)
    syka08 wrote: »
    This idea, would be absolutely amazing. Even if the tool-tip stayed the same (Say, I change the Clydesdale into a tiger, but it still says Clydesdale) that would be awesome.
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm sure that it's do-able.

I wouldn't expect any price breaks, though.

I was just in a thread where people were looking for a seperate tab for mount storage. If the plan currently is to sell people a green mount for X, a blue mount for Y, and a purple mount for Z, then what do they charge for skins only?

Instead of someone buying a purple horse, they just buy a skin to put on their existing purple mount.
    Instead of buying the upgrade, they just buy the skin and put it on the already upgraded mount.

There could be an increase in volume if they charged a little less for skins, but would it be enough to make up for the loss in mount sales?
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I was just in a thread where people were looking for a seperate tab for mount storage. If the plan currently is to sell people a green mount for X, a blue mount for Y, and a purple mount for Z, then what do they charge for skins only?

Instead of someone buying a purple horse, they just buy a skin to put on their existing purple mount.
    Instead of buying the upgrade, they just buy the skin and put it on the already upgraded mount.

There could be an increase in volume if they charged a little less for skins, but would it be enough to make up for the loss in mount sales?

It wouldn't be a price break on the mount itself. But on the training. If you buy a rank 2 quality mount from the shop (say a medium warg or medium tiger), then you are already paying $35 for the mount. In my opinion you shouldn't have to pay $53 more dollars worth of AD to upgrade it.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a price break on the mount itself. But on the training. If you buy a rank 2 quality mount from the shop (say a medium warg or medium tiger), then you are already paying $35 for the mount. In my opinion you shouldn't have to pay $53 more dollars worth of AD to upgrade it.

Not debating that upgrade costs seem out of line, but it seems a seperate issue from skins instead of actual mounts.

After sleeping on it, only way that I think skins really work is for special loot/drops.
    If they dropped a wolf skin rather than a wolf mount then people could turn their blue or purple horse (or whatever) into a blue or purple wolf.
    Those people would have to have paid for the mount upgrade in the first place, so it's not like they are giving away a blue or purple mount.

For purchases, though, if I am paying purple mount prices, why not get an actual mount? What purpose does just getting a skin serve?
    If it's merely to save that one inventory spot (for people that have purchased a purple mount in the C-store, for example, and hope to merely change how that single mount looks for each of their characters) then that problem would be solved by Cryptic adding a 'stable' tab to character inventory, and I think that a stable tab is simpler to do than coming up with some variable cost for skins based upon the quality of the mount to have it's appearance altered.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Not debating that upgrade costs seem out of line, but it seems a seperate issue from skins instead of actual mounts.

Not really. Because skins would be a way around paying that cost. Getting a rank 3 (the fastest) mount is pretty cheap. The Zen store has one for $25. Many of the better looking mounts (imo) are more expensive but slower. With a 'mount skin' system you cover that $25 mount with the skin of a mount you really liked. Instead of buying the one you wanted -then- paying 53$ or 73$ worth of AD to upgrade the one you wanted.
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Look at it like this. If you buy a purple mount in the zen store, that is unlocked across all characters, why on earth would most players every pay to upgrade any other mount ever? Sure, you get a very select few who really want to use a particular mount for style reasons and are willing to pay to upgrade, but they are the vast minority.

Now, if you assign a decent cost to re-skin a mount, you are going to have a significantly larger group of people willing to buy that purple mount from the Zen store and then re-skin with another mount they acquired in game.

Heck, they could even add a new category of mount skins in the Zen store (white/green level mount versions of current purple mounts) to capitalize on people who want specific models for each character.

It's both a way to be community friendly AND make more money instead of one or the other.
  • Options
    psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    twstdecho wrote: »
    Look at it like this. If you buy a purple mount in the zen store, that is unlocked across all characters, why on earth would most players every pay to upgrade any other mount ever? Sure, you get a very select few who really want to use a particular mount for style reasons and are willing to pay to upgrade, but they are the vast minority.

Now, if you assign a decent cost to re-skin a mount, you are going to have a significantly larger group of people willing to buy that purple mount from the Zen store and then re-skin with another mount they acquired in game.

Heck, they could even add a new category of mount skins in the Zen store (white/green level mount versions of current purple mounts) to capitalize on people who want specific models for each character.

It's both a way to be community friendly AND make more money instead of one or the other.

Exactly...
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • Options
    kozahmiekalkozahmiekal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    this would be awesome, and good for PWE, too. maybe 3 skins for each mount, more later?
  • Options
    aunlaeaunlae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I think the point would be to offer unique skins/mounts for sale. Things like the unicorn and whatnot, so people interested in those things still can go buy them, people interested in skinning what they buy could also. I personally like the Shadow Wolf on my level 60 Rogue, it seems to fit her nicely! Though, every other character it seems a little off.. Maybe they should ditch the training stuff (which is absurdly expensive) and make a blank slate idea that you could buy for zen to apply to any mundane ride to make it the fastest, maybe even one for 80% and one for 110% (And not a step up program either.. )
  • Options
    endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Refine em like all the other stuff.. Get enough points and marks buy a ward and level em. Add sparkle or some as they go up. Freaking tomes are insane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ulkaurulkaur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I do not support this as a viable option until one of the following happens:

1. a stable of sorts where you can pull the skin you want for your mount. Without that you will just eat up the skin and have to pay out the wazoo to recover it later if you decide you want to go back. This way you would also have a place to store all of your mount inventory without feeling like you are eating up your inventory.

or

2. transmute costs get reduced to the point it becomes an impulse purchase. Currently if you make a mistake transmuting something it can cost you over 51k diamonds. if the price were much lower, people could actually afford to play around with different appearances. Same goes for dye costs.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    People always ask for a "Mount Bag" and I crinkle my nose at it. I much prefer the "mount skins" idea.

Once I have a Tier 3 Mount every mount purchase afterwards is cosmetic only and Mount Skins are NOT worth 30-40 dollars.
    I would pay 10-20 dollars for a mount skin so lets say 20 dollars of the Mount Fee is for the Rank 3 Speed.

Just sell account wide mount speeds for zen.
    Sell all "mounts" as skins to apply to your mount slot whenever you wish.

The idea that mounts are individual items just makes inventory clutter and makes me less likely to buy any mounts because in my opinion I should only pay a convenience fee once.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    ulkaur wrote: »
    I do not support this as a viable option until one of the following happens:

1. a stable of sorts where you can pull the skin you want for your mount. Without that you will just eat up the skin and have to pay out the wazoo to recover it later if you decide you want to go back. This way you would also have a place to store all of your mount inventory without feeling like you are eating up your inventory.

I would think this idea goes hand and hand with storing every mount appearance you have on your account.
    Obviously paying 10-20 dollars for a skin that vanishes like in game items would be the worst system in history.

And stable? If mounts are "skins" they wouldn't need a stable or a place to store them.
    A simple drop down list of all the mount skins you own would be ideal and should be, ideally, free of charge since you had to pay to get the skin to begin with.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would think this idea goes hand and hand with storing every mount appearance you have on your account.
    Obviously paying 10-20 dollars for a skin that vanishes like in game items would be the worst system in history.

And stable? If mounts are "skins" they wouldn't need a stable or a place to store them.
    A simple drop down list of all the mount skins you own would be ideal and should be, ideally, free of charge since you had to pay to get the skin to begin with.
    I agree with all of this. If we should ever have some kind of mount "transmutation" it should not consume the skin as it currently works with gear/weapons. Nobody would spend money on a skin that's just consumed. You wouldn't want that to happen to a one-time-event mount skin either. A drop down list like we have for companion skins seems like the best solution.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This will never happen because it doesn't make much business sense. But also, there is a real technical issue: throwing a Tiger skin onto a Horse for example. The only real answer would be 'skins' similar to those for companions (where they have a new, more advanced look at certain rank levels).

Please don't get me wrong; I think this would be an awesome idea. However, I am a realist (not trying to be a curmudgeon, here) Mount sales-wise it wouldn't be a very good decision, and there's also a huge technical issue to tackle and that requires time and effort, which equal monetary investment on Cryptic's part. This is why I highly recommend no one go holding their breath to see this great idea come to fruition.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This will never happen because it doesn't make much business sense.
    I don't know why you would think that. Let's say you have a Stormrider mount, but you want your mount to look like a Yeth Hound, you would still have to buy the Yeth Hound mount/skin. Now everyone is aiming for the top tier mounts for obvious reasons, but with a system like this, after you got your 110% mount you might go for one of those green mounts, just because you like the skin. The way thing are now that would feel like a downgrade. Plus if we would have such a system players would be more inclined to buy more mounts/skins because they wouldn't have to worry about inventory space.
    I agree with the other point you are making - it would indeed require a rework of the mount system which in turn would require time and money. But, hopefully, they might see it as a profitable investment.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When I say technical issues, I'm mostly referring to animations, size, etc. However I understand what you mean. For example: reskinning the white tiger to the orange one makes a lot of sense (which is why I mentioned the companion leveling skins). :)
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When I say technical issues, I'm mostly referring to animations, size, etc. However I understand what you mean. For example: reskinning the white tiger to the orange one makes a lot of sense (which is why I mentioned the companion leveling skins). :)
    When people talk about skins here they probably mean skin, mesh and animations.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    People always ask for a "Mount Bag" and I crinkle my nose at it. I much prefer the "mount skins" idea.

Once I have a Tier 3 Mount every mount purchase afterwards is cosmetic only and Mount Skins are NOT worth 30-40 dollars.
    I would pay 10-20 dollars for a mount skin so lets say 20 dollars of the Mount Fee is for the Rank 3 Speed.

Just sell account wide mount speeds for zen.
    Sell all "mounts" as skins to apply to your mount slot whenever you wish.

The idea that mounts are individual items just makes inventory clutter and makes me less likely to buy any mounts because in my opinion I should only pay a convenience fee once.

This is my favorite part about sharing ideas...

I like this even better and it addresses some concerns as well. Pay, through the Zen marketplace to up your mount speed and any mount you place in that spot works at the unlocked speed.

Sounds like an easier solution than my original idea, and achieves the same result!