What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NW.10.20131105a.5 Shadowmantle Preview Patch Notes

13»

Comments

• melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    Confirmed , Eye of the Storm no longer causes Shard of the Endless Avalanche to crit , this needs to be a priority fix especially now that entangling force has been made all but useless in PvE

bug(?): shard of the endless avalanche: chance to crit

actually, shard no longer crits at all. i'm using the MoF paragon path so no EotS magic... pure chance to crit % and nada.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    the helmite paladin is still the same, unlike what is written in the patch notes.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    the helmite paladin is still the same, unlike what is written in the patch notes.

I think the change is referring to the rank 30 bonus, and not the active bonus. So might be a case of poor wording.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm pleased to see the HR got nerfed, now to go build another one and start levelling again to see if it went too far.

Also I'm pretty happy to call the HR a controller; area denial via Thorn Ward/Split the Sky, movement control via Hindering (melee version in particuar), at will AoE dmg are all traits of control. The fact you can make a Leader style character with party buffs etc as well is an interesting thing for the HR.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I'm pleased to see the HR got nerfed, now to go build another one and start levelling again to see if it went too far.

Also I'm pretty happy to call the HR a controller; area denial via Thorn Ward/Split the Sky, movement control via Hindering (melee version in particuar), at will AoE dmg are all traits of control. The fact you can make a Leader style character with party buffs etc as well is an interesting thing for the HR.

How does aoe damage equate to control?
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »

bug(?): shard of the endless avalanche: chance to crit

actually, shard no longer crits at all. i'm using the MoF paragon path so no EotS magic... pure chance to crit % and nada.

Yeah its a major bug , I posted about it on the bug thread and another guy replied saying a lot of other skills no longer crit either , this seriously needs to be addressed before it goes live .
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?526421-Eye-of-the-Storm-no-longer-causes-certain-skills-to-crit-automatically&p=6505391&viewfull=1#post6505391
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    xushin7 wrote: »

I think he was referring to PvP threat. You can kinda "control" an area by using AoE powers as players try to avoid them. As a DC can control an area by placing Chains of Blazing Light there (I'm not saying about its CC part but about controlling an area via damage threat).
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
    edited November 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    Yeah its a major bug , I posted about it on the bug thread and another guy replied saying a lot of other skills no longer crit either , this seriously needs to be addressed before it goes live .
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?526421-Eye-of-the-Storm-no-longer-causes-certain-skills-to-crit-automatically&p=6505391&viewfull=1#post6505391

definitely. i logged into the preview shard, confirmed it and logged back out. there's really no point if it's not working correctly.
  • srdjanasrdjana Banned Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    djarud wrote: »
    "Ranger

Martial and Primal Controller: Rangers such as the hunter use their training and skill with ranged weapons as well as a reverence for the natural world to make them champions of the wilderness.

Martial and Primal Striker: Rangers such as the scout mix a singular two-weapon combat style with a mastery of primal magic to overwhelm their foes."

This class may be called the Hunter Ranger, but they have made a Scout Class, yet they are following the class along the Hunter lines. The core idea of a Ranger class has pretty much always been Strong at Range, mediocre at Melee (But capable). The Control capability of the "Hunter Ranger" is too weak in general for them to be a Control Class in this game. Their Ranged Capability is now more of a way to annoy mobs/enemy players than much else, and their Melee is still (even with the added bonuses) sub-par. At it's core, the Ranger has always been a Striker, one with the ability/ies to back them selves up if an enemy got too close, but still a Striker, as of right now, without going and making a ton of copies (like so many do) on test, so as to max out Enchants/Runes, I have to say that the class feels vastly weaker over all. Last night I was able to survive via positioning, and planning in the area my char is in right now, granted it was not easy, and I often had to rely on my melee as a back-up, but as of today, my character in the same area, against the same mobs, is getting entirely torn apart. And no, I'm not going to make a bunch of copies and max out my test characters gems, because that is not how he would be on the live server, and it's not how the majority of players are equipped (on the live server).

Read your post of what you just posted....I will highlight the exact point...first sentence you copied and pasted..

Martial and Primal Controller: Rangers such as the hunter use their training and skill with ranged weapons as well as a reverence for the natural world to make them champions of the wilderness.

http://flip-edesign.com/DungeonsAndDragons/news.php

Ranger [ Powers ]

Role:
    Striker. You concentrate on either ranged attacks or two-weapon melee fighting to deal a lot of damage to one enemy at a time. Your attacks rely on speed and mobility, since you prefer to use hit-and-run tactics whenever possible.

Creating:
    Rangers depend on Strength, Dexterity, and Wisdom for most of their powers. Constitution is also useful, since it helps them stand up to damage. The three ranger builds presented here are the archer ranger, the beastmaster ranger and the melee ranger.

Builds:
    Archer Ranger
    Beastmaster Ranger
    Hunter Ranger
    Maurader Ranger
    Two Bladed Ranger

Armor_Proficiencies:
    Cloth, leather, hide

Bonus_to_Defense:
    +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex

Class_Skills:
    Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Dungeoneering (Wis), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), Nature (Wis), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex)

Class_Features:
    Fighting Style, Hunter's Quarry, Prime Shot, Running Attack

Healing_Surges:
    6+ Constitution Modifier

Hit_Points_at_1st_Level:
    12+ Constitution Score

Hit_Points_per_Level_Gained:

Implements:

Key_Abilities:
    Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom

Power_Source:
    Martial. Your talents depend on extensive training and practice, inner confidence, and natural proficiency.

Trained_Skills:
    Dungeoneering or Nature (your choice). From the class skills list below, choose 4 more trained skills at 1st level.

Weapon_Proficiencies:
    Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged, military ranged

ps. Something is not a striker just because you think if you wish hard enough it will happen....

read the rangers ability descriptions in game......................

see all that rooting going on?

Control.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    srdjana2 wrote: »
    Role:
    Striker. You concentrate on either ranged attacks or two-weapon melee fighting to deal a lot of damage to one enemy at a time. Your attacks rely on speed and mobility, since you prefer to use hit-and-run tactics whenever possible.

That has nothing to do with this game. The HR is not a control class and I put the part from your post in bold. You said in this part what the role is. STRIKER
  • bernadeabernadea Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Refinement
    • Terminology in this system has been cleaned up. Some cases of "Evolve" have been properly changed to "Upgrade," and "Catalysts" have been changed to "Reagents."

THANK YOU!

You are my heroes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    We need an Inventory Tab for Mounts!!!11
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Seems like DoT skills are not affected by armor penetration. Noticed this as a ranger - At-Will DoT from melee stance, sorry forgot the name, and TR's Disheartening strike. I have 24%++ ArP on each character, so any damage I deal is pure, but that DoT damage is getting mitigated as I see in combat log. May be I'll add screenshots later.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Couldn't find it in the notes: Thanks for fixing Plague Fire!
  • jpnolejpnole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ejziponken wrote: »
    Very disappointed to hear that... Neverwinter is my first MMO-game. I had no idea what I was doing when I created my character. I invested so much time and effort into this one so starting over is not an option for me. To be able to reset the ability points from scratch is very much needed and It cant be that hard to implement. You don't need the option to change race.

It just feels so bad playing a character everyday that you know don't have the optimal settings. What ever you do and how much time you spend in the game, you will always know that someone with better placed ability points has the advantage over you. Feels like giving others a handicap.. Its just so irritating knowing it.

This times 100! I actually started to relevel an "optimized" CW of a different race to eventually replace my main but had to stop around level 30. It's just too much. Also if I go through with it until 60, I just know this feature will be implemented and negate all the releveling I did.
    edited November 2013
    xushin7 wrote: »

AoE creates control because it makes it advantageous for the enemy to stay spread apart, which prohibits them from gathering to focus down a target. The other way (which is more true of cRPGs) is by applying damage over whole groups of enemies making it easier to bring specific force (ie striker dmg) to bear and eliminate foes faster; the more AoE the faster your team can control the entire situation.

RL example of AoE as control is suppressive fire in military actions. (Though it also falls into area denial.)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with this game. The HR is not a control class and I put the part from your post in bold. You said in this part what the role is. STRIKER

Actually if you go to the specific Hunter Ranger entry it says Role: Controller in the pen and paper version and there is plenty of evidence for control/leader in the HR in NWO.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    But this isn't the pen and paper version. This is a MMO and things have been changed cause do you really think they are going to add separately every single variant of the classes. It is a Striker, DPS class. If you don't like it, not my problem. But stop trying to instill that things are the same as the pen and paper version.

Edit. Going to the link that was posted. Here is what it says for HR>

Hunter Ranger

Description:
    Stealthy and agile, you are a talented skirmisher who adapts to overcome any combat scenario. Although you resemble the archer ranger, your powers provide you with mobility and more melee options. You are unrivaled in your ability to fight well at any range.

Key_Abilities:
    Dex, Wis, Str, Con

Suggested:
    Class Features: Hunter Fighting Style, Running Attack
    Feat: Swift Footwork
    Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Nature, Perception, Stealth
    At-Will Powers: fading strike, twin strike
    Encounter Power: skirmish shot
    Daily Power: skirmishing stance

Says nothing about Control.
  • xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    But this isn't the pen and paper version. This is a MMO and things have been changed cause do you really think they are going to add separately every single variant of the classes. It is a Striker, DPS class. If you don't like it, not my problem. But stop trying to instill that things are the same as the pen and paper version.

Edit. Going to the link that was posted. Here is what it says for HR>

Hunter Ranger

Description:
    Stealthy and agile, you are a talented skirmisher who adapts to overcome any combat scenario. Although you resemble the archer ranger, your powers provide you with mobility and more melee options. You are unrivaled in your ability to fight well at any range.

Key_Abilities:
    Dex, Wis, Str, Con

Suggested:
    Class Features: Hunter Fighting Style, Running Attack
    Feat: Swift Footwork
    Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Nature, Perception, Stealth
    At-Will Powers: fading strike, twin strike
    Encounter Power: skirmish shot
    Daily Power: skirmishing stance

Says nothing about Control.

Right I agree with you. By that same logic he/she is making, A cleric is a controller too. Because they place down defense buffs on the ground where enemies dont want to engage in fights in. No thats just a Leader, not a controller.

...No. It doesnt work that way here.

AOE damage does not equal control. because they can simply just move away from your aoe damage. thats not controlling. You arent controlling a thing about the enemy with AoE damage. your just hurting them the same way a Striker hurts them, just more than one.

HR has actually very few control abilities. Hinderingshot, Constrictng Arrow are actually control abilities.

Anything that just does pure damage is a striker. End of story. They even say the Hunter Ranger is a striker from multiple sources. Control is not once even mentioned OR suggested. Instead thier playstyle is focused on damage and mobility, as its clearly mentioned in thier class description directly in the game when choosing the class.
  • icebubblezicebubblez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    j0shi82 wrote: »
    Couldn't find it in the notes: Thanks for fixing Plague Fire!

What aspect of plague fire got fixed may I ask? Last I checked the debuff value was still lower than toootip and remains the same regardless of stack..?
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    Seems like DoT skills are not affected by armor penetration. Noticed this as a ranger - At-Will DoT from melee stance, sorry forgot the name, and TR's Disheartening strike. I have 24%++ ArP on each character, so any damage I deal is pure, but that DoT damage is getting mitigated as I see in combat log. May be I'll add screenshots later.

I noticed the same with gwf / bleed.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Weapon Master's Strike deals 2071 (1593) Physical to Iron Golem.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Deep Gash deals 864 Physical to Iron Golem.

[Combat (Self)] Your Health Steal gives 6 Hit Points to you.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Deep Gash deals 693 (864) Physical to Iron Golem

the same thing also in foundrys
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ejziponken wrote: »
    Very disappointed to hear that... Neverwinter is my first MMO-game. I had no idea what I was doing when I created my character. I invested so much time and effort into this one so starting over is not an option for me. To be able to reset the ability points from scratch is very much needed and It cant be that hard to implement. You don't need the option to change race.

It just feels so bad playing a character everyday that you know don't have the optimal settings. What ever you do and how much time you spend in the game, you will always know that someone with better placed ability points has the advantage over you. Feels like giving others a handicap.. Its just so irritating knowing it.

When you respec, you can reset the ability scores you chose. If you are asking/expecting a score reroll, I am not surprised that is not on the table. i cannot think of a game that allowed you to reroll initial stats. Normally if you messed up on the toon creation, you would create a new toon.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zacazu wrote: »
    I noticed the same with gwf / bleed.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Weapon Master's Strike deals 2071 (1593) Physical to Iron Golem.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Deep Gash deals 864 Physical to Iron Golem.

[Combat (Self)] Your Health Steal gives 6 Hit Points to you.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Deep Gash deals 693 (864) Physical to Iron Golem

the same thing also in foundrys

This is happening on Live too. GF's Knee Breaker:

[Combat (Self)] Your Knee Breaker deals 283 (302) Physical to Flamespiker.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When you respec, you can reset the ability scores you chose. If you are asking/expecting a score reroll, I am not surprised that is not on the table. i cannot think of a game that allowed you to reroll initial stats. Normally if you messed up on the toon creation, you would create a new toon.

Then you could say the same for feats... If you messed up assigning those start again!

Just because its "normal" in most MMOs doesn't mean it's not a good idea to add to Neverwinter. I can't think of a single reason to allow you to reset all your other stats and not your starting rolled stats. What does it break?
    edited November 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    Then you could say the same for feats... If you messed up assigning those start again!

Just because its "normal" in most MMOs doesn't mean it's not a good idea to add to Neverwinter. I can't think of a single reason to allow you to reset all your other stats and not your starting rolled stats. What does it break?

what's the point in making a d&d labeled game if you're going to make it as far from d&d as possible? while some may argue that it already is, i think the concessions that needed to be made, they didn't have any choice. if they can provide a way to allow for re-rolling initial ability stats and keep it within the confines of d&d rules concerning character creation and alteration, then i'm all for it. allowing it because min/maxers are waving their wallets around doesn't sit well with me.
This discussion has been closed.