test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why can't Adventurers look stylish?

ladymelo11ladymelo11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I was running through on one of my characters today, doing pirate's skyhold when I realized that Shil Yargo the halfling, is wearing some stuff that I think adventurers should be able to get their hands on, or at least not have the same kind of habits. She's got this nice modern looking black bra, and she doesn't shave her head before donning a pirate's hat! I think I'd rather like if us adventurers could sport something a little more presentable than a burlap sack wrap undergarment set, and if we weren't all OCD about shaving our heads before wearing pirate hats. I mean, you can't tell me that its anything to do with armor blah blah blah, my main runs around in a courtesan top with shiny pink spandex pants, and my fiance runs around in a wedding dress, and I will tell you one thing is for sure, no lady in her right mind would be wearing that brown abomination of a bra, that you can clearly see, under her wedding dress.

Shil_Yargo.jpg
Post edited by ladymelo11 on

Comments

• ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Many NPCs wear clothing that I think the characters should be able to get, but for some reason they remain inaccessible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ladymelo11ladymelo11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I know. When I first started playing neverwinter, I thought that the tailoring profession would be able to make pretty clothes, I thought we'd be able to get the clothes npcs run around in, and I thought that leadership was going to have something to do with your companions. I was sadly mistaken. I am however, annoyed with nasty undergarments games tend to put on people, which isn't as bad if everyone is, but then you see npcs with nice things. :/
  • vheeshanevheeshane Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    you think they would just have, albeit a limited selection of pieces to choose from to fit together to create a reasonable amount of variety for crafted items. Create a sword, have a selection of 3 blade types, and 3 pommel types and a decoration on the blade like the facial and body tatoos and be capable of changing the colors of said pommels and decoration. Its not hard in a 3D program (like Poser Pro) to parent these parts together, basic really. I feel variety of creation and uniqueness for character look development is paramount in the personalization and success of a game.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    my tiefling mage would appreciate some fine undergarments, but she doesn't want any half-orcs getting any funny ideas.

but seriously... on the fashion front, i think we'll definitely see more options in the future. it'd be good to give the designers an idea of what you'd like to see.
  • kaisvorescekaisvoresce Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah I agree When I started playing and Srg. Knox told me to get some off duty clothing I thought would eventually have a few more options then dirty stitched peasant cloths for someone who has earn the right to talk to Lord Neverember! I've always wanted my wizard to have something like the hexer's look, Pirate Sorcerers! But sadly never did. I also expected at some point to be able to look like one of these random NPC's since you can if I'm not mistaken put there cloths on almost anyone in the foundry (that being true I am surprised how little fashion items their are, sure elusive showy pricey ones are cool but add some of the npc outfits in the game could be zen shop for cheap like 200 to 300 Z or less or a craft in game for it would be nice!

screenshot_2013-11-11-23-46-49.jpg?height=400&width=149screenshot_2013-11-11-23-39-01.jpg?height=400&width=130
  • kaisvorescekaisvoresce Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Also, about fashion items, They really should add a fashion weapon slot. At first I thought they didn't so they could keep fashion weapons transmute cost as a diamond sink... then they added the "Free transmute" keyword! I would very much just like a item slot in fashion for fashion weapons.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can see the better looking fashion be zen shop items but the more non fancy type stuff should be made in game thru professions and more basic stuff better than pheasant's clothes could be sold by a vendor.
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Also, about fashion items, They really should add a fashion weapon slot. At first I thought they didn't so they could keep fashion weapons transmute cost as a diamond sink... then they added the "Free transmute" keyword! I would very much just like a item slot in fashion for fashion weapons.
    Double for that. A separate tab for all fashion items. I mean - i have summer outfit, golden pantalons, courtesan wear and god knows what else! The inventory is designed to carry loot, not these items.
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd like to see:

- Fashion tab
    - Dread Pirate finery to match Pirate Horde/Tricorn Hat
    - Fashion tab
    - Formal Paladin "Isteval" Finery
    - Fashion tab
    - Traveling Monk/Friar "Stone" Finery
    - Fashion tab
    - Merchant finery
    - Fashion tab
    - Generic Traveler finery (Like DC Divine Avenger armor, but finery)
    - Fashion tab
    - Spasm GWF
    - Fashion tab
    - Dragonborn Armor
    - FASHION TAB!!!
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
    edited November 2013
    A fashion unlock for the whole account would be nice too, or even a fashion bag, I'm running out of space in my bank, and I can only buy so many bags of holding. lol.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd love to have tabs for fashion (and mounts!) since the event rewards seem to be going that way, plus from having both $60 packs and the mounts they give. I've got characters with Sunite wear, Halloween masks, the Feywild pack set, Lliira masks, zen store stuff... I've got characters with both bags of holding and yet it is still hard to justify doing anything or paying anything to get more fashion items, which is sad.

Beyond that, I'd like trousers for women. There were the pantaloons from the recent Waukeen event, but I only got two and on the same character. Plus the sheen on them doesn't work for a lot of ideas. I'd also like some transmute armors instead of just the weapons. Sadly, while there are a number of unique armors in the game, many of the are BOP. I had a friend who wanted the Lolth armor for GF and couldn't find it. Then a week later I picked up in from a boss drop in Rothe Valley, but it was BOP. meh.

Still you can stand out from the crowd with a little effort. ;)

neverwinter16.jpg
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • grom5674grom5674 Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I've hated the lack of variety in both cloths and weapons since I first started playing this game. There is no real crafting of items here, and that surprises me. Every Wizard looks the same.. every Rogue looks the same... Unless you choose to color your armor, or wear "Fashion" clothing at all times. And the slim choices given for fashion cloths to buy and wear are mostly lame. I agree that a lot of the outfits worn by NPC's are much cooler then what we can use. It's a shame.

Weapons are the same, every sword my fighter picks up looks just the same. My orbs look alike. And even my ability to choose what kind of weapon my fight or Rogue uses is lacking. My fighter types use swords.. no Axes, no hammers, no flails.... no choice. Again this is lame and a major fail on the games part. How can you really "RP" a char if everyone looks just the same?

Ten year old games have crafting systems that let you modify weapons and clothes with little hassle. Like was mentioned up thread, give us a few blade choices, a few hilt choices, some boot choices, and for GOSH SAKES give us some better hat choices!! The "Eastwood" rogue hat is way funky, as is the wizard skullcap ya have to wear for much of your chars life. Helms that all look the same for every Cleric or fighter gets old as well. Why is my Dwarf fighter stuck with the full face covering helm (except for his nose, which sticks out!!) when the Cleric gets a cool looking helm? Why is it only for Clerics? Why can't I have the cool helm if I want?

Sorry, got off on a rant there... But this sameness of look has bugged me for a while now.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    here is the direct quote from andy velasquez, the lead designer for neverwinter concerning vanity items:
    Question from DreamHuntressX
    future (hope soon) to add more customization options, like new hair models, vanity items (as of the elven regalia)?
    ---

TheSquez: oh yeah we totally want to get to more of these
    TheSquez: vanity items have more coming online pretty regularly
    TheSquez: whether it be from Zen market releases or various event rewards
    DreamHuntressX: So, i wanted to ask if theres any chance to add more customization sets in NW
    TheSquez: things like hair and face options is on our radar to do as well
    DreamHuntressX: Honestly, IMHO, it lacks the variety we found in Co and STO :/
    TheSquez: yeah. thats certainly valid criticism
    TheSquez: i worked on STO pre launch ( i was employee # 4 on that project i think...)
    TheSquez: and yeah, those games did have more
    DreamHuntressX: Nice :)
    TheSquez: NW's design limited us in a way
    TheSquez: b/c we are much more item driven than those titles were
    DreamHuntressX: Still pretty awesome
    TheSquez: so we put a lot of our dev effort into making awesom armor, monsters etc
    TheSquez: that being said we do want to go back in and add more hairs, eyebrows, etc
    TheSquez: its just going to have to be measured against all of the other awesome things we want to do
    TheSquez: like new classes, races, etc.
    TheSquez: but if i hear enough of the requests then i'll make it happen. So keep raising your voices for what you care about

you can read the entire IRC chat here.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    here is the direct quote from andy velasquez, the lead designer for neverwinter concerning vanity items:
    *Snips*

Oy! I wuz der! o_O
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No one is going to buy ANY of it though as no one has the bag space (or bank space) to carry it!

Fashion tab... Additional fashion slots... Additional fashion profile... SOMETHING to hold more fashion items is required or those items will be ignored.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    New cosmetic options would be nice.

In addition, I think it would benefit the game if those items already in place, cosmetic and combat related, could be gone over to eliminate the many clipping issues and other graphic problems. For example, the noses of dwarven GFs often clip trough helms, and the foreheads/eyebrows of half-orcs often clip as well.

While they are looking at adding new hairstyles, they should take a look at the clipping that many of the existing ones have on some of the races, not only with equipment but the heads of the characters themselves. This clipping makes many hairstyles unusable on some races, or at least look much poorer than they should.

Some attention to this would go a long way to adding some polish to this title.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If they took all the regular outfits that the NPCs where in the game, broke them up by pieces (head, top, bottom), then sold each outfit for 300 to 500 zen, or pieces from 100 to 200 zen, they'd literally be printing money.

It would be insane...they'd probably make more money in a week then they've made since launch.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    +1
    I am a little surprised they haven't included Costume/Fashion Slots into game yet. They certainly sell them in Champs and STO. But of course the game isn't a year old yet, so. time will tell.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
    edited November 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    If they took all the regular outfits that the NPCs where in the game, broke them up by pieces (head, top, bottom), then sold each outfit for 300 to 500 zen, or pieces from 100 to 200 zen, they'd literally be printing money.

It would be insane...they'd probably make more money in a week then they've made since launch.

Actually not really. People would not spend that much and why would people spend real money for items that are already in game.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Actually not really. People would not spend that much and why would people spend real money for items that are already in game.

Because only the NPCs are able to wear them, silly!
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited November 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Because only the NPCs are able to wear them, silly!

Yeah so they are already IN GAME. The clothing is already being used so they should allow us to buy it in game with in game currency NOT real money
  • stabbathstabbath Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I feel your pain. I come from Vindictus. That game has style and awesome graphics.
  • drpidgeondrpidgeon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You can always be fabulous!
    edited November 2013
    screenshot_2013-11-13-02-50-56.jpg

You can be mostly stylish, but often run into people that look similar to you. I'm just upset, especially with zen clothes like the wedding dress where you can see that nasty wrap underneath. I mean look at this pretty dress, nice open back, but running around what will you see most of the time, nasty wrap staring at you.
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A developer or team of developers 'sculpted' each NPC from the clay of imagination. Many are probably the personal projects, their babies so to speak, painstakingly refined and molded into a look each can be proud of.

On the other side, our character models appear to be designed by committee (or in the case of elves one base model with a lot of different color palettes. I'm also not unconvinced that they did not just cut and paste vulcans out of STO and smooth some edges here and there).

You would think after virtually single-handedly solving EVERYBODYs f-ing problems across the entire region around Neverwinter and in the city itself that someone would think to give me a nice pair of clothes. After the countless lives I saved for a pittance you think Lord Neverember could shell out for noble garb (an FR lore friendly 20gp for the clothes and 5gp for shoes and a hat in PnP game) at some point during all my thankless service to a sergeant of the guard (not a general or the Captain of the Guard). Sorry, I'm bitter about the hack of an RP job cryptic does on a daily basis.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
    edited November 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Yeah so they are already IN GAME. The clothing is already being used so they should allow us to buy it in game with in game currency NOT real money

Two words, Crytpic. Gold sink.

You're welcome.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Grace Rathburn from the Nest Egg quest, I wants that outfit for my soon to have Ranger. I was wanting to make her have a rather Native American appearance and that outfit is a must.
  • roadkill68roadkill68 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I want blue jeans and a black leather jacket.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Can't help you with the jacket, but dyeing your peasant pants with a control wizard dyepack gives a passable jeans effect.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia