test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sigil wasn't built in a day - calling foundry experts

drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Foundry Mechanics & Questions
So... I am toying with the possibly impossible task of building Sigil in the foundry.

My thoughts are to build a small to medium blank outdoor map and then place a buncha buildings and roads, then slowly circle said roads up into the sky and invert buildings and such to look like they are upside down above the player.

The question then comes into play though, how does one handle the side visuals, make a torus like appearance form the inside? More curved buildings? How then do you handle the fact that the sky will always be "up" and you can't rotate it to the side?

Is it an impossible task and should just be an indoor map that NPCs warn the clueless shouldnt walk alone in sigil?

Ponderous thoughts.
8IxArUQf.jpg
A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
Post edited by drakedge2 on

Comments

• Options
    drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello everyone, so I decided to do it, I am building Sigil for Chapter 5, or at least a small portion of the city. Here's a sneak peek of work in progress...

0533E23BDA0B779DCDF4F789EEBD869AF01385AA

Interested in learning more about my campaign, take a look at the link in my signature.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • Options
    shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Looks great! Man, between you and Apoc, I'm thinking of withdrawing my quest and starting from scratch....stop it guys...you're making the rest of us look bad!!!!
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Still tons of work to do, but i wanted to post a progress picture =D

I still need to place lighting, NPC's etc etc etc. lots of work remains, but It's beginning to take shape... fastly approaching that 1500 limit lol...

Here's another in progress picture.

818F369A4747D8A1CC1573841E599EC0CB10C8CB
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    shorlong wrote: »
    Looks great! Man, between you and Apoc, I'm thinking of withdrawing my quest and starting from scratch....stop it guys...you're making the rest of us look bad!!!!

Haha thank you, but i dont think i compare to Apoc, that guy is in a league of his own haha.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • Options
    hflord1hflord1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Looks really good, excited to see it done. Found some Apoc stuff....it's inspirational.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And so... he said.... let there be light, and there was...

B485F30A19965105CBA1E325341C70FA29E1B3DA

put bag in the sigil fog layer...

A43F1C1221A5ECB0481D3A03638719F55807379A
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • Options
    lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very nice work!
    The Delusions Quartet
    Act 1: Nightmare on Market Street
    Act 2: My Best Friend's Evil Wedding
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lovepeas wrote: »
    Very nice work!

Thank you =D I'm skirting around 1467 details right now, so ... kinda reaching that limit, needing to bring the skyline in some and fade to black that which i can't show you because of the limitations.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • Options
    masamundanemasamundane Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2013
    This is awesome work! I was working on making up a set of Sigil streets for my first Foundry story (a work in progress) and came searching for anyone else who'd tackled it. You have most certainly tackled it full on; and now I'm a bit intimidated.

So...thanks...I guess.
  • Options
    derpdedoderpdedo Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    it looks great, just remember that Sigil is large enough where you may not have to worry about the curveature on smaller map. It is too bad they don't let multiple authors work together sharing maps for a combined effort.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Another thing you want to consider is not creating the whole city as a single functional map, but rather building multiple small maps with vistas that give the illusion of being in the whole city. The reason being is you will run out of map objects long before you create a full size facsimile.

The map Everdark in my sig was meant to be a 1000 foot deep cavern; I only got to 750 feet deep before I ran out of objects.