test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What happened to the Mask?

vheraunvheraun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
I returned to Neverwinter after not playing for a good while, and I rushed to the Moonstone Mask, to chat with fellow RPers. And it was all empty. As it was next day, and the day after that.

Is there anybody that frequents the Mask anymore in the Mindflayer server?
Post edited by vheraun on

Comments

• reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I still do from time to time on multiple of my characters.

Though I usually stand around, for alot of my characters find the conversations that do go on there boring. Became much of the same conversations that happens.

Though I'm a full time Rper, I Rp doing everything else. though I dont spend much time in the mask anymore as I used to in part in what I said before. And alot of people my character(s) did know quite well arent around as much anymore.
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I've a RPer by heart, and yet there's nothing I hate more than standing around in a circle talking IC. The whole conversation can be summoned up with: "Lol, I'm an elf." On a related note, I play a Moon Elf, and I had a quest where I was supposed to run around a battlefield, blessing the bodies of the fallen warriors. Yet when I found one such body, my first reaction was... "Lol. Human.", like it was typical for humans to die a lot. Not proud of that one. :D

The point is, a lot of actors really try to get into character when making a movie. I do the same, though instead of acting in a movie, I act in the game. It makes the gameplay experience a lot more fun for me, and I can immerse myself into the game in a whole other way than if I was just playing a random character. I try to be that character.
    edited September 2013
    ladymythos wrote: »
    I've a RPer by heart, and yet there's nothing I hate more than standing around in a circle talking IC. The whole conversation can be summoned up with: "Lol, I'm an elf." On a related note, I play a Moon Elf, and I had a quest where I was supposed to run around a battlefield, blessing the bodies of the fallen warriors. Yet when I found one such body, my first reaction was... "Lol. Human.", like it was typical for humans to die a lot. Not proud of that one. :D

The point is, a lot of actors really try to get into character when making a movie. I do the same, though instead of acting in a movie, I act in the game. It makes the gameplay experience a lot more fun for me, and I can immerse myself into the game in a whole other way than if I was just playing a random character. I try to be that character.

Exactly how I feel and how I play. Its what more or less I was trying to relate in my post. I enjoy playing the other aspects of the game IC with people or with solo. Though most from what I know, only seem to RP in the mask and do whatever outside it or dont try to do anything else outside that IC with anyone else. Which is fine too.
  • vheraunvheraun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I RP as much as I can in-game, even solo (you should see my modded Skyrim setup), but I'd just like to talk with other RPers too... that's what I had found in the Mask and I now miss.
    edited September 2013
    They are still there from time to time. Just not over flowing like it used to be.
  • chthonicmythoschthonicmythos Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    This should get better after the server merge.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think the only time I was ever in the mask was when I was first looking for scrying stones. I do a lot of my rping off site on a medieval-fantasy based website that my guild hails from, so doing it in-game just doesn't appeal as much to me.

But yes, once the servers get merged, you shouldn't have an issue, I'd imagine. ^_^
    contents to be decided
  • myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When I first started playing in mid-June, my cleric of Sune hung out at the Mask at the end of every long play session...but I haven't been there regularly in more than a month, and only recently stopped in to find it utterly empty of PCs. It's sad, particularly when you hear all of the incredibly positive feedback that the social scene of the Midsummer Festival generated. I can only guess that Cryptic will notice the Festival buzz, and that they will give us a more content-driven Moonstone Mask experience as a result. Look at the building the next time your toon needs a drink...it rises three or four stories above the level of the bar in the basement. There is room for all sorts of contest spaces (Darts, anyone? It is a bar, after all!) and hunts for lost purses, lost underdrawers, and lost dignity.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    There were too many griefers lurking in the Mask, for no other reason than to annoy RPers, so they left. Then the Midsummer Festival occurred, many people starting hanging out there and haven't returned. Now it is more like a corner pub, with a few regulars, but that is about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Exactly how I feel and how I play. Its what more or less I was trying to relate in my post. I enjoy playing the other aspects of the game IC with people or with solo. Though most from what I know, only seem to RP in the mask and do whatever outside it or dont try to do anything else outside that IC with anyone else. Which is fine too.
    I think another big problem is that I once talked to a woman in an online game, and she kept asking me about my story. She honestly didn't understand what I meant when I said I didn't have one. Oh, sure, I have a background for the character, but story? As in what's going to happen later and all that? I don't see the point. I get in the head of the character (so to say) and live her like I would in real life.

I guess that's why I ignore the mask, and places like that. I did hang around a little bit in the Prancing Pony in LotRO, but it got really boring really quickly. Going through a long dungeon with everyone IC the whole time? Now that's fun. :)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have been playing as one half of a halfling duo lately. My friend and I are somewhat fluid about slipping in and out of character, but the slaughtering and looting are actually fairly in-character for both of us, and it's good fun. I as a player have a sharp eye for finding the chests and hidden rooms, which fits with the TR I'm playing, and his rallying cry of "I found treasure!"
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Factor that may be contributing to empty mask:
    1. the griefers is defiantly one of the issues but I think a lot of them moved on.
    2. a lot of the events that have been going on lately thin rp
    3. rp guilds meet in the driftwood tavern or other inns.
    4. also some people use foundry missions to rp privately.
    5. sometimes people take breaks after long events like midsummer.
    6. ive noticed some of my mask friends have been rping in Champions Online
    7. some people may not feel a brothel fits their style of rp

Solutions:
    1. Remember people attract people so stand around maybe you'll attract more people.
    2. ask if anyone is up for some mask in NWRP. (to let people know its not empty)
    3. ask people on your friend list and in your guild where they RP
    4. Do a people search for known rp guilds to see where the members are.
  • vheraunvheraun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Going through a long dungeon with everyone IC the whole time? Now that's fun. :)

This. I want this.

Also, can anyone suggest a guild with such actions? (medium to heavy rp obviously)
    I'm in Mindflayer, so long as it still exists.
    edited October 2013
    Haven's Point and Shadow are both RP-focused guilds on Mindflayer, and you can find past events from yet another if you scroll down this subforum a little.

You can also open your social menu in-game and search for guilds that have tagged themselves as for roleplayers.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013

If I were able to do what I wish in the name of RP, there would be one less soldier in the Tower District. My GWF is a Half-Orc that don't take too kindly to stereotyping. :D
  • calendriancalendrian Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    Last (European time) night we were RPing in the Mask on Mindflayer. Basically it started out with me and a guildy from Haven's Point, but it soon grew to a gathering of seven people, all randomly and it was all good RP with no griefers in sight.

All I can say is, sometimes you must get a bit lucky, but try and add people you've RPed with on the friendslist and you'll soon have a whole network of RP friends!
  • valcrist24valcrist24 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Since the Shard Merge, RP seems to have made a comeback, as of late. Although, right now, with the Moonstone event taking place, you'll be hard-pressed to find any RP in the Mask. I've recently joined Mythweaver's, though :D. I guess as soon as the event is finished, I'll be right back in the Mask, as well as many of the other RP'ers, too :D
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It was pretty packed today. Was like feeding time at the Zoo!!
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would love to RP, but as someone already said, to me Rping is fun when we're doing a dungeon or foundry IC, not standing next to eachother just talking, I can't seem to find the fun in that.
    If we have the foundry we can potentially make really interesting quests to play IC.
    I would gladly join a guild that does that.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Fortunately the Mask has started to return normal now that the Waukeen event is over. I wouldn't mind for the merchant to stay though, could be quite handy to have one in the Mask. I do enjoy the RP there occasionally, when it's not to crowded with jumpers, spell casters, and sword swingers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    I couldn't sell anything to the event merchant. He was not very helpful in that regard.

Isn't there a normal consumables vendor at the bar? I don't go in there very often and might be misremembering.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• daellusdaellus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well with the recent inclusion to the Halloween festivities , the Mask is yet again a source for griefers and the like. So I wanted to ensure everyone was aware that SHADOW actively uses the Mourners Tavern ( Ebon Downs), as a place to RP. Its an open location and my character actively serves drinks to everyone that frequents there. Its all entirely open and generally speaking, its a great spot to find some pick up RP, or a place to get involved in some intense, interactive story arcs.

Don't shy by the way either. Sath ( My character) , is generally very approachable, but may get in your face if he finds that you are mucking around in his bar, but please don't prevent yourself from joining in on the fun. Along the lines of my character, SHADOW ( the guild I represent), is a very interactive, well organized guild that is striving to maintain the quality of RP that we all expect and enjoy.

So please come on down. Introduce yourself and be surprised with the amount of Activity there.

P.S - A big thanks to the RAVENS ( rp guild), as they have been using the Mourners for some time now as well. They are wonderful rpers and, like SHADOW, they are striving to provide an entertaining environment.

Take care for now
    Sath N'uirin @Daellus