test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alchemy/Professions, am I missing something?

chinchillaeaterchinchillaeater Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
To level up Alchemy, the only way is to conduct enough of the level appropriate experimentation (where you gain knowledge) and use the knowledge to run another research...
but in order to do all this it takes multiple shots at the experimentation, and means 3 or more potion concoctions PER experiment just to try...
Am I missing something or is this crud just annoying and redundant? Any better/faster way to do this besides buying all of the potions for the experiments?

I also noticed that when the professions reach a certain level, a higher-level asset is required. I can't seem to find out how to achieve higher level Leadership assets. The other professions have a "train asset" option.
Post edited by chinchillaeater on

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I slogged through alchemy with my main character making the potions. That's really the only thing that slows you down. I've got a stockpile of potions now, in case I ever decide to run an alt through it.

Leadership has the same tasks to train higher tier workers that all the other professions do. 4 mercs to make 1 guard, 4 guards to make one footman. If you have uncommon or better assets, those can be upgraded in the same way. There aren't any tasks to upgrade tools, but those really are worth much anyway.

Hire a mercenary is rank 3
    Train a Guard is rank 7
    Train a Footman is rank 13
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • jasonf247jasonf247 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited October 2013
    The potions are only an issue at the lower levels. Any potion that drops in game should be a lot cheaper on the AH than the supplies you'd use to make it. At the higher levels, alchemy levels faster than other professions because you don't have to make hundreds of pairs of useless pants. The amount of experiments needed to go from level 19 to 20 is comparable to the amount to gain any other level, where in other professions, you've got to earn around 50k XP to get to level 17 and 100k more to get the last three levels.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You can level up most of the other professions relatively quickly by just having all your workers perform the "mass gather" tasks.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • sigregsigreg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 56
    edited October 2013
    ^^ This. "Mass gather" tasks are giving nice XP gain and cost nothing, as you dont need to spend any resources to perform it.
  • stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Alchemy isn't as much of a chore to skill up, it just requires a bit of planning.

1) Keep all buff pots that you gather at random while you adventure. Most will be used as materials.

2) After the first few levels you will need a *lot* of aqua vitae (which is also later to make the huge amounts of aqua regia you will need). You pretty much want to be churning this out as much as possible.

3) Do mass vitriol extraction overnight with the 6-hour jobs to cut costs. Mass gather as much as you can. The 10 minute gatherings still net you more than the 6 hour mass gathering if you have the time to click every 10 mins. I'm not being facetious, it can be a bit of an irritation. The mass extraction becomes more useful in terms of cost once you hit advanced vitriol extraction when you work out the mats needed and the cost.

4) Don't waste your time making advanced mats until you have a recipe that specifically need them. Until you hit around 15+ they are not needed and are just wasting valuable skill-up time.

5) Don't make anything that isn't needed for experimentation. Its a waste of bag slots. Don't be tempted by making something to sell on the AH. Doesn't make much AD and slows you down from making things that benefit your skillup process.

6) Experimentation at 20 will give you some new recipes (I've proved this myself by testing it). A lot of people ask about this so I include it here for info.

7) When you have completed a level and are 'Researching' to advance to the next, look at the next level's material requirements and start making sure you have them in place so you hit the ground running at the next level.

I've capped Alchemy on 5 toons. Why? Once you know how to do it, its relatively easy and so I can buy/make one set of purple assets and transfer it around all toons to get the 3rd and 9th crafting slot. I'd cap it on one toon then mail all the crafters and mats to the next to start the skillup process. Quite cost efficient in terms of what you spend on crafters and assets.

Originally I'd planned to have it on all toons so I could mass craft health pots for dungeons for myself easily. This hasn't worked out because its not time-efficient given you need so many lower level mats to make the higher level ingredients. Its more time-efficient just to farm mobs or do general dungeoneering and dailies and get them as drops or buy them. This is a flaw in the crafting system itself and the way it is balanced.

Hope this all helps. This is all off the top of my head, I'll edit this post if other stuff comes to mind :)
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ive noticed the experimentation is mostly successful during the "professions" daily event. Try to do the experimentation then.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lots of great info in this thread. mats/pots required for experimentation can also be purchased on the AH or can be farmed for in lower level areas. some great unique potions available in here as well. :]
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nice post stercogburn. My biggest issue with Alchemy is it seems like all the low level buff pots required for alchemy received a huge drop nerf as soon as alchemy was released. I have tried farming these pots with L 60 chars, L 10 chars, L 20 chars etc... After an hour I am covered in lowbie healing pots, yet not a single buff pot.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • skaldorinskaldorin Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i can't seem to get anything more at lvl 4 experimentation... i've got 1/3 for the research task, and i've done the experimentation about 10 times now without increasing it. I just don't get why it's different from the other professions that have XP for each operation, instead of all at the end.

I guess i'm also frustrated with the horribly slow speed of crafting in this game... other games, i can make what i need in a few seconds (or a stack in a few minutes), not a couple potions a day at this rate.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    Nice post stercogburn. My biggest issue with Alchemy is it seems like all the low level buff pots required for alchemy received a huge drop nerf as soon as alchemy was released. I have tried farming these pots with L 60 chars, L 10 chars, L 20 chars etc... After an hour I am covered in lowbie healing pots, yet not a single buff pot.

I don't recall seeing these as drops other than from invoking pretty much ever, nothing to do with the profession. I make batches of the minor and lesser potions (so 6-8 at a time) and save all the ones from lowbie invokes. The other levels are manageable with drops.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited October 2013
    skaldorin wrote: »
    i can't seem to get anything more at lvl 4 experimentation... i've got 1/3 for the research task, and i've done the experimentation about 10 times now without increasing it. I just don't get why it's different from the other professions that have XP for each operation, instead of all at the end.

I guess i'm also frustrated with the horribly slow speed of crafting in this game... other games, i can make what i need in a few seconds (or a stack in a few minutes), not a couple potions a day at this rate.

Again....
    You are wasting your time experimenting unless its the daily "professions" event time.

Also if you have the mats during the event try to finish immediatley..I know it costs diamonds but worth the time.

Ignore this if you like, means my Alchemhy is being raised much faster than yours.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Again....
    You are wasting your time experimenting unless its the daily "professions" event time.

Also if you have the mats during the event try to finish immediatley..I know it costs diamonds but worth the time.

Ignore this if you like, means my Alchemhy is being raised much faster than yours.

As far as im aware there is zero connection between profession task success and the profession event. The event only boosts drops on nodes. It has no indicated or implied function on tasks.

Unless someone actually runs the numbers over a long period. Any perceived boots is most likely just that, a perception of a statistical bump. And nothing more.
    edited October 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    As far as im aware there is zero connection between profession task success and the profession event. The event only boosts drops on nodes. It has no indicated or implied function on tasks.

Unless someone actually runs the numbers over a long period. Any perceived boots is most likely just that, a perception of a statistical bump. And nothing more.

That is excatly what people want you to believe so you dont compete with them in Alchemhy. Your not aware. Leave it at that. Test it yourself, then decide, for you who do not know (compared to the people that know this and spread lies about it)

I never experiment now without it being the daily professions event time. You get a better chance of getting the Basic Alchemical Knowledge according to my personal statistics investigation.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That is excatly what people want you to believe so you dont compete with them in Alchemhy. Your not aware. Leave it at that. Test it yourself, then decide, for you who do not know (compared to the people that know this and spread lies about it)

I never experiment now without it being the daily professions event time. You get a better chance of getting the Basic Alchemical Knowledge according to my personal statistics investigation.

Who am I trying to compete with? I finished alchemy months ago and im reasonably sure I wasnt competing with anyone to do it.

As far as testing for myself, one I cant. As I said, ive finished it, therefore I no longer have any experimentation tasks available. And two, my own personal sample size would be far to small to base any significant conclusions on. In a similar manner that your own sample size would likewise be far to small as well. That said, I dont suppose you have any hard numbers to back up these claims beyond just gut feelings? Even a small sample size showing a trend is better then nothing at all.

That said, considering that no other profession has any form of connection to the event. It simply seems unreasonable for one profession to be singled out this way. If you honestly want anyone to believe this nonsense youll have to be fairly convincing to overcome the basic unreasonableness of your claims. And starting off with a strawman argument, or accusing folks of being in on the conspiracy isnt helping.
  • bl00dytyrzbl00dytyrz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    how do you make your professionals to a higher level
    I would like to get level 2 or higher workers
  • bl00dytyrzbl00dytyrz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    how do you upgrade your professionals to higher levels?
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    As previously mentioned in this thread, you need to take 4 1st level workers and combine them into a level 2 worker. You will not have this option until you are at a professional level that requires the higher level worker. Green, Blue, and Purple workers are purchased from the Zen shop, or the Auction House. Sometimes you can get an Adventurer(Blue) or Man-at-Arms(Green) Leadership professional from the Nightmare lockbox, but that is a gamble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It seems that (for me at least) leveling using experimentation is every third time. Been that way for the last 6 levels or so that I can recall.
    edited October 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    It seems that (for me at least) leveling using experimentation is every third time. Been that way for the last 6 levels or so that I can recall.

Must be lucky then. I've failed like 10 times in a row. Possibly the type of alchemist has something to do with it as well. For me as I said, I find more BAK's during the event. could be different for everyone though.

Anyone else start doing the experiments during the event and find more BAK's?? (Basic Alchemical Knowledge) Let us know!
  • terhikkiterhikki Member Posts: 72
    edited October 2013
    I think on me levels 7-12 were most time consuming, when it counts to raising in levels. Now my alchemy is at level 17 and what is quite odd, last 3-4 levels has come each in under 10experiements each.

Guess it's a lucky straw then usually, not any compareable to other professions which always needs specific amount of XP from certain tasks.
  • garetjaxivmgaretjaxivm Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    i'm having a minor issue. I leveled my alchemy to 20, but now their is no Research task listed to level to 21, yet i can see research tasks for 21 and 22 just waiting for me. Is their something i've missed reading that will get me the Research Task for level 20?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    i'm having a minor issue. I leveled my alchemy to 20, but now their is no Research task listed to level to 21, yet i can see research tasks for 21 and 22 just waiting for me. Is their something i've missed reading that will get me the Research Task for level 20?

Well, this is a rather inappropriate necro. If you can't do the research to 21, then you still have the level 20 experiment available. Do that until you unlock 3 recipes, research task appears, experiment task disappears. Had to be designed this way because these experiments could have been completed over a year ago without generating any knowledge.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • offpuddingoffpudding Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    At some point, shortly after Mod-6 launched, several folks mentioned this problem .. and then WHAM! .. we got a 5 second alchemy job that placed\replaced missing jobs in our list ... I didn't "notice" if it put anything in my job queue, and I don't think I had any issue researching\leveling from 20 to 21

so .. make sure you don't have any filters blocking your view ... Send a question to the help desk, maybe they can gift you that 5s job

_____..)/..________..)/.._____ ___..)/..________
    ¯¯¯¯¯””/(”¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯””/(”¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯””/(”¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

jobs from 20 to 25 require "major" potions NOT "superior", and some reagent like aqua-regia .... major potions are CHEAP in the AH .. something to keep in mind if you;re fantasizing about getting rich as an alchemist

uni-elements started at 70k and dropped to 12k .... might be more now ... and, (correct me if I'm wrong) ... don't require a purple asset (philo-stone) .. purple dudes will, of course, make the -drip-drip-drip- of progress easier to stomach