test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear Devs..... please look into this...might be kind of serious. another caturday?

xmeanseason305xxmeanseason305x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
as of right now....there are currently 23 pages in the Auction House of 100 million AD buyout items...

cant be coincidence can it? 1 or 2 perhaps....but 23 plus pages?...

please look into it.
Post edited by xmeanseason305x on

Comments

• Options
    ulthasulthas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can confirm that gateway.playneverwinter.com auction house has all the buyouts set to N/A on all the auctions in question. Can we please stop these exploiters from ruining the economy again?
  • Options
    fantom3nfantom3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Been wondering the same. They can't actually be making money out of this, right?
    I'd hate to see a roll-back :( I've accomplished so much past days.
    Neverwinter addict since open-BETA! What's your drug?
    Spoon? There is no spoon.

Old member of Team Fencebane (R.I.P)
    - One of the 5 core founders.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    What is the effect ?
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I don't think this is an exploit.
    My guess is that they are putting those insanely high buyouts so that the issue with the sorting feature defaulting to "highest buyout first" is getting them notoriety so players can/will bid on the items.

If you have any further details which would supply evidence there is an actual exploit please don't hesitate to PM Sominator with any pertinent information. He's more than happy to pass on any exploit details to the appropriate location but do not, under any circumstance, post it on the forums for all to see. :)
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Don't you pay a posting fee based on Buyout? I doubt these people could afford that fee...

Looks like a bug to me.
  • Options
    caloriencalorien Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm pretty sure posting fee is based on opening bid.
    The PWI info-fox formerly known as Mayfly - Dreamweaver
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Posting fee is based on opening bid, unless you list the item as available for buyout only.

You can list an item with the highest possible buyout, and a 1AD opening bid, and pay no fee up front.

Sounds reasonable that the in-game default AH sort showing highest buyout first offers a possible explanation of visibility. Some people will throw everything they pick up on the AH in the faint hope someone else will buy it for one AD, even garbage.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    caloriencalorien Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The 40 items in AH per character does sort of put a limit on that sort of nonsense, though. (And listing for 1 AD opening bid, no buyout would have the same effect of visibility, since those get sorted to the beginning of the list.)
    The PWI info-fox formerly known as Mayfly - Dreamweaver
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You'd think the cap would limit it, but in practice people try to sell all kinds of trash. The heck if I know why.

I hardly ever browse the AH in-game since Gateway is so much friendlier an interface. I don't think I've run across anything with no buyout listed the times I have been in-game trying to check a price, so I hadn't personally seen that they are placed above the crazypants buyout prices.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    vegasonevegasone Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 94
    edited October 2013
    My guess is that they are putting those insanely high buyouts so that the issue with the sorting feature defaulting to "highest buyout first" is getting them notoriety so players can/will bid on the items.

If you have any further details which would supply evidence there is an actual exploit please don't hesitate to PM Sominator with any pertinent information. He's more than happy to pass on any exploit details to the appropriate location but do not, under any circumstance, post it on the forums for all to see. :)

Then why not fix the sorting feature default of "highest buyout first" to "lowest buyout first" which is what people want to sort by anyway?

I swear these Dev's work for our government. They take 6-8 weeks to acknowledge a bug, 3-4 weeks to talk about it, and 3-4 weeks to pass a vote to fix it. Then they screw up the fix.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Don't ask me...

I grit my teeth that I have to switch the view twice because even though it is supposed to show the lowest buyout first it opens displaying the highest buyout first regardless of settings.
  • Options
    zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vegasone wrote: »
    Then why not fix the sorting feature default of "highest buyout first" to "lowest buyout first" which is what people want to sort by anyway?

I swear these Dev's work for our government. They take 6-8 weeks to acknowledge a bug, 3-4 weeks to talk about it, and 3-4 weeks to pass a vote to fix it. Then they screw up the fix.

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? I mean you have this quote:
    Auction House: The buyout column sorting will once again properly sort prices.

From one of the recent patches here, which was the one that sort of fixed the sorting.

Now the question is, how does someone test the AH buyout sort functionality and not only not realize it's sorting by high->low by default instead of low->high, but not even click the buyout sort to see if the low->high sort also works? Since if they'd done that they presumably would have realized the first click changes it from high->low to...high->low again.

It boggles the mind, then toss in how inexplicably the in-game AH and gateway AH operate differently for no apparent reason.

For instance, when sorting by bid, auctions which don't allow bids should appear by buyout instead, ie:

bid 1 buyout 4
    bid 2 buyout 4
    bid - buyout 3
    bid 3 buyout 4

That's common sense. On gateway no bid = a bid of 0 so they always show up first when sorting low->high. In-game no bid = infinite bid so they show up last when sorting low->high. Both wrong, but different.

Just plain wacky.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • Options
    josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited October 2013

That's what I thought when the 100M AD buyouts started popping up. However, this starts to make less sense when the first several pages of almost every item-type are filled w/ the same high buyout. If there are 20 radiant rank 5s w/ 100M buyouts, not all of them can be #1 on the list.

Still, the sorting explanation could be true, and I have no evidence to support an actual exploit. Just concern.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    josiahiyon wrote: »
    That's what I thought when the 100M AD buyouts started popping up. However, this starts to make less sense when the first several pages of almost every item-type are filled w/ the same high buyout. If there are 20 radiant rank 5s w/ 100M buyouts, not all of them can be #1 on the list.

Still, the sorting explanation could be true, and I have no evidence to support an actual exploit. Just concern.

People could still be gambling that they may end up on top.
    To put an even lower buyout would simply put them into the middle of the mix even further than if they had the obnoxiously high buyout.

*shrugs*
    I'm not saying there isn't an exploit of some kind. I am simply saying there's another, more likely and rational explanation. If you guys have additional evidence please don't hesitate to let the devs know (privately).

As it stands now I am seeing this as being very similar to the "He didn't respond to me so he must be botting!" claims that I have seen happen in other MMO's. That very well could mean there's something going on but it's not cold hard evidence. A bunch of people putting high buyouts doesn't mean there's an exploit.
  • Options
    josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sounds like this could be related to the Money Laundering thread that was just posted and almost insta-deleted. I hope someone at cryptic is looking into the possibility of shenanigans.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    srdjanasrdjana Banned Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    They may have snipped my post because it has names...

Or...

That the public has caught on to Money Laundering going on in the economy.

I mean..that would be a crime right ? Seeing how it has already been shown Digital Currency is catching on as Legal tender ( REFERENCE : Bitcoin )

And if Perfect World does nothing about it...that could be aiding and abetting

Here is the posting fee and the amount returned when a Item is not bought within the time frame of the auction

Untitled2.jpg

Over 400 of 100 million AD listings...

Untitled3.jpg
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You don't get the posting fee back when your items are returned unbought. You only get it back if someone bought the item.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    You don't get the posting fee back when your items are returned unbought. You only get it back if someone bought the item.

Which makes this even more interesting..
  • Options
    rittzbitzrittzbitz Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The posting fee is based on the starting bid amount. If bids are not allowed, it is based on the buyout price.

It's curious, but not evidence of anything.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    it is evidence this needs to be looked into.
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Huh, someone is bidding over 12k AD on a level 8 or so green item?!
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Can we just have sort lowest to highest please anyway or at least save it once I have sorted my list. I is painly annoying that I have to sort the list ALL THE TIME when I put another item on the AH and want to check prices. Always two clicks. It was once working correctly, then we had the sorting bug and now with the "fixed" sorting it doesn't save what I have previously checked.
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah having to re-sort by buyout is an incredibly irritatingly bad QOL feature that's in your face every time you check the frackin' AH. Please sort it Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Those auctions all showed a starting bid of 5AD, which involves no posting fee whatsoever (anything under 25AD). You can set a buyout of any ridiculous amount you like with no penalty to you if you set a low opening bid. Some people may do this in the hope that somebody trying to bid on it will misclick and buy it out, which is shenanigans, but not policeable.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited October 2013
    nwnghost wrote: »
    Huh, someone is bidding over 12k AD on a level 8 or so green item?!

Yeah, that's the weird one.

All the ones that no longer say "starting bid", someone has bid on them. The ones that stay at 5AD, that's likely to be people with a surplus of AD and not much gold, though they really ought to stick to level 60 items to liquidate.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You guys seriously don't know about this exploit? I've posted a bug report, it can be duplicated. Yes, this is an exploit. Yes, it is going to **** with the economy. Yes, people will be banned for doing it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    As I said, if you have information please send it directly to Sominator and he will have QA look into it as soon as he gets the details. :)