test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AH Sales and the Merge

2»

Comments

• abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My CW ran out of Residuum for the shirts she's been crafting to level her Tailoring. I knew it would take a long time to gather up Residuum at the rate I play, so I thought I'd buy some off the AH to have in reserve and split it up between characters as needed. I'm broke because of exchanging AD for Zen to get dye while it's on sale, so I knew I wouldn't be able to get much. Then I realized while looking through the stacks that, if I bid pre-merge on a couple of different stacks, I'd be able to get a good quantity of Residuum at a really low cost due to the expiring auctions, which was nice since I only had about 1k AD. So I did. I didn't bid on anything but a few stacks of Residuum from different sellers, and only did more than one to minimize the chances of me being outbid on all and getting nothing. Maybe you think that's greedy, but I don't agree. When you're broke IRL you look for the cheapest stuff and only buy on clearance when you can; how is this different?

You don't need to assume that everyone who bid before the merge is a cackling greedy hoarder. Besides, assuming the sales had been auto-expired, wouldn't it have been nicer for the sellers to get 10 AD + refund of fee instead of no profit at all plus losing the posting fee?
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • sevdaisevdai Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This would have been really great to know before myself and MANY others waited all day/night until the servers were about to go down, attempting to snipe auctions, tying up time and millions of diamonds in potential snipes that would have turned a profit. I'm all well and glad the developers were able to preserve the auctions but the time lost and the AD tied up by ALOT of people now for up to 5 days is absolutely ridiculous.

In the future if you're going to change something that could affect the economy so drastically it would be nice to know beforehand.

Lets not also forget the poor people merged from Dragon whos auctions were preserved with their AH prices....you do realize how bad that server just got screwed as with any effort to to check you would see their AH economy was 20-30% below Beholder and Mindflayers.

This decision was awful and ill thought. We were all expecting a fresh new economy, which would have taken a few weeks to settle, now instead 1 server which i didn't invest in, Dragon was screwed completely. Wealthy Beholder and Mindflayer players who were able to log in immediatley upon launch after the merger just made huge profits, and the potential for players on ALL servers to have made some minor profits was taken away.

Outrageous and poor planned.

I think this is hilarious. You are outraged because you weren't able to exploit the system? Talk about irony!
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This would have been really great to know before myself and MANY others waited all day/night until the servers were about to go down, attempting to snipe auctions, tying up time and millions of diamonds in potential snipes that would have turned a profit. I'm all well and glad the developers were able to preserve the auctions but the time lost and the AD tied up by ALOT of people now for up to 5 days is absolutely ridiculous.

In the future if you're going to change something that could affect the economy so drastically it would be nice to know beforehand.

Lets not also forget the poor people merged from Dragon whos auctions were preserved with their AH prices....you do realize how bad that server just got screwed as with any effort to to check you would see their AH economy was 20-30% below Beholder and Mindflayers.

This decision was awful and ill thought. We were all expecting a fresh new economy, which would have taken a few weeks to settle, now instead 1 server which i didn't invest in, Dragon was screwed completely. Wealthy Beholder and Mindflayer players who were able to log in immediatley upon launch after the merger just made huge profits, and the potential for players on ALL servers to have made some minor profits was taken away.

Outrageous and poor planned.

Your outrage and sympathy ring hollow when you were attempting to exploit the situation for your own benefit, in the hope of negatively affecting your fellow players on your server for your own personal benefit by attempting to snipe auction prices.
  • slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Don't forget the "Perfect Enchantment" exploit. :cool: Next time you see TR xxGS + Perfect Vorpal lfg fast/exp only ask that TR how many Coalescent Wards they used creating the Perfect Vorpal. The honest answer 99% of the time is zero.

Interesting. Disturbing how many of these extreme exploits do so much damage that's never repaired.
  • darvinthesixthdarvinthesixth Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Your outrage and sympathy ring hollow when you were attempting to exploit the situation for your own benefit, in the hope of negatively affecting your fellow players on your server for your own personal benefit by attempting to snipe auction prices.

This will go for the poster above you as well.

I think you may want to firstly, look up the definition of exploit. I would link you to dictionary.com but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume your pea brain would explode upon realization of your ignorance.

Secondly, Cryptic gave EVERYONE, a 1 week, maybe even slightly more, heads up on EVERYTHING about the merger. with extended amounts of links to their Extended FAQ regarding it. It did not take a genius to read it, I believe it quite straight forward.

Therefore, if you or anyone else was uninformed of the process of the merger and its impacts it was your own fault, plain and simple.

People whom were half way intelligent, picked up on certain aspects of the merger that could potentially save them quite a bit of money, with no need of any exploitation, simple.

Now, as I stated, I was hardly impacted by this result, in fact many of the bids I placed are still top bid, I'm ok with that. However, there are larger issues here that SHOULD have been considered, period.

1) As stated by myself and others, the impact of the lack of communication was many lost man hours and copious amounts of AD tied up on potentially long bids that under normal circumstances would have never been made.
    - I get the fact that they did not realize until the maintainence was under way that they would accomplish the feat of merging without cancelling, however that does not excuse the lack of foresight for potential player related issues as this one and the ones to follow.

2) Prepare to get your mind blown... Dragon server was 20-30% cheaper than Mindflayer and Beholder, period. I'd show proof, but I assure you, as I played on all 3 servers since launch, It was very much the truth. This resulted in (what some of you would refer to as an OMG EXPLOIT), Players able to log on as the servers went live scooped up auctions originally listed on Dragon for 20-30% discounts on average, resulting in quite the same outcome which would have been left up to the snipers.

3) Players were expecting a clean slate AH to start the fresh economy, while Mindflayer and Beholder were very similar, Dragon, as stated above was not. Not to mention the difference in price of Coal wards and Keys between each server was actually quite drastic. This is simply because players on each server all had different amounts of access to the wards and keys based on personal luck and finances. This resulted in many many many people being taken advantage of when the servers went live, period.

I would continue however I'm sure the issues will all fall on deaf ears regardless. The simple solution would have been to stick with the original plan, or surprise people in a positive way by refunding the deposit of each item.

One of the leading reasons online games fail is because of a lack of communication by the developers and staff and producing results contrary to what they state when they do communicate, period.

Expand your pea brains and think outside the box before you shout out absurdities like "lol u butthurt no exploit".
  • pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Don't forget the "Perfect Enchantment" exploit. :cool: Next time you see TR xxGS + Perfect Vorpal lfg fast/exp only ask that TR how many Coalescent Wards they used creating the Perfect Vorpal. The honest answer 99% of the time is zero.

I don't know what this exploit is... But the last 2 weeks I have been getting very suspicious... Seeing perfect armor/weapon enchants being posted on AH 6-7M... Anyone can tell something isn't right.. 85 coal wards to make a perfect at around 100k each... That's 8.5M already.... As I said I don't know how to do it but I have no doubt alot of people are doing it now and making tons of AD

Devs should be onto this more than anything else and perm ban the people responsible
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    pandapaul wrote: »
    I don't know what this exploit is... But the last 2 weeks I have been getting very suspicious... Seeing perfect armor/weapon enchants being posted on AH 6-7M... Anyone can tell something isn't right.. 85 coal wards to make a perfect at around 100k each... That's 8.5M already.... As I said I don't know how to do it but I have no doubt alot of people are doing it now and making tons of AD

Devs should be onto this more than anything else and perm ban the people responsible

It could be players getting rid of old enhancements in order to buy new ones. If you are desperate to get either get rid of an old enhancement, like the broken Greater Plague Fire, or get a new one instead like Perfect Barkshield or Perfect Vorpal, some people would quite happily take a hit for a million or two in order to gain six to eight million.

Also, not many people actually make their own Perfect enhancement due to either lack of them on AH or when they are listed, they are listed at cost (i.e. 8.5M or lower). They either buy the Perfect directly or buy Greaters cheaply over time and use ONE Vorpal to get the Perfect.

It is easy to call cheating when you do not understand something. And one thing is always clear in any economy, not many people understand how others make more money or gains than them...

You should only call out an "exploit" when you know for sure/have evidence something is wrong or you see something that has a ridiculous impact on the economy, e.g. 100 stacks of 99x higher ranks of enchants or Cats or lockbox mounts selling for 1 gold (which indeed has happened in the past during beta).
  • pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    It could be players getting rid of old enhancements in order to buy new ones. If you are desperate to get either get rid of an old enhancement, like the broken Greater Plague Fire, or get a new one instead like Perfect Barkshield or Perfect Vorpal, some people would quite happily take a hit for a million or two in order to gain six to eight million.

Also, not many people actually make their own Perfect enhancement due to either lack of them on AH or when they are listed, they are listed at cost (i.e. 8.5M or lower). They either buy the Perfect directly or buy Greaters cheaply over time and use ONE Vorpal to get the Perfect.

It is easy to call cheating when you do not understand something. And one thing is always clear in any economy, not many people understand how others make more money or gains than them...

You should only call out an "exploit" when you know for sure/have evidence something is wrong or you see something that has a ridiculous impact on the economy, e.g. 100 stacks of 99x higher ranks of enchants or Cats or lockbox mounts selling for 1 gold (which indeed has happened in the past during beta).

Apparently the exploit does exist. I prefer to not know about it so don't ask.. But there are a large amount of people that do..
    edited October 2013
    And a perfect vorpal costs around 14M AD to make. I saw one today for 6M AD.. That isn't a loss someone would take on a legit prefect vorpal.. Is it?
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    frishter wrote: »
    So basically you're mad coz you tried to exploit the market and failed. Hey I don't blame you, I tried the same thing before I went to bed, but that's no reason to complain about not being able to take advantage of something that wasn't intended to happen outside of necessity.

Go back, read what I actually wrote, and see if you can figure out what the real issue is. If you need some help see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    pandapaul wrote: »
    Apparently the exploit does exist. I prefer to not know about it so don't ask.. But there are a large amount of people that do..

The exploit did exist, but it was fixed. There are still plenty of Perfect enchantments floating around from when the exploit still worked.

edited October 2013
    sevdai wrote: »
    I think this is hilarious. You are outraged because you weren't able to exploit the system? Talk about irony!

How is that an exploit when the intended behavior of the system was published well ahead of time?

People that knew ahead of time about the lockbox drop rate (because they were on Preview) and were waiting with keys... that is an exploit. People that read what Cryptic published about a special situation in the market and changed their behavior as a result are hardly exploiting.

Based on the Community Moderator's feedback, the real problem seems to be that Cryptic decided during the migration that they could indeed preserve the auctions. If that was not known until during the migration, just how was this procedure tested before being tried live on the player base?

Sometimes when you don't do QA you get lucky, other times your English players see German in the loader (http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?504001-Sprechen-Sie-Deutsch)

• sevdaisevdai Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    How is that an exploit when the intended behavior of the system was published well ahead of time?

People that knew ahead of time about the lockbox drop rate (because they were on Preview) and were waiting with keys... that is an exploit. People that read what Cryptic published about a special situation in the market and changed their behavior as a result are hardly exploiting.

Based on the Community Moderator's feedback, the real problem seems to be that Cryptic decided during the migration that they could indeed preserve the auctions. If that was not known until during the migration, just how was this procedure tested before being tried live on the player base?

Sometimes when you don't do QA you get lucky, other times your English players see German in the loader (http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?504001-Sprechen-Sie-Deutsch)

As per your words, you were there specifically to snipe the auctions. (Edit: The person my first post was in response to is who said they were sniping, you just came in after the fact to jump on the bandwagon. My bad.) Sniping of auctions is exploitative in and of itself as it is trying to take advantage of the process. The fact that you weren't able to get away with said sniping has your knickers in a twist, plain and simple. It was you who chose to try and exploit this possible situation and gain an advantage. It didn't work out to your advantage so suddenly it's Cryptic's fault for finding a way to prevent what could have had a negative impact on those who had items in the AH.

What it really comes down to is that no matter what they do, there are going to be people who complain. This time, you are one of those people. When you get called on it, your hackles get raised and you seem to feel the need to lash out. You go right ahead and keep at it. I'll just go back to enjoying my day.
    edited October 2013
    This will go for the poster above you as well.

I think you may want to firstly, look up the definition of exploit. I would link you to dictionary.com but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume your pea brain would explode upon realization of your ignorance.
    Staring out your post with an approach that would be embarrassing to anyone but a grade school bully isn't really the best plan if you want to have any kind of credibility.
    Secondly, Cryptic gave EVERYONE, a 1 week, maybe even slightly more, heads up on EVERYTHING about the merger. with extended amounts of links to their Extended FAQ regarding it. It did not take a genius to read it, I believe it quite straight forward.
    That a person could read and understand issues related to the AH merger doesn't imply that a person will then try to use that situation for personal advantage, by trying to snipe out the best deal in an auction by trying to take advantage that others will no longer be able to bid in that auction, and thus trying to deprive the person who put the item up for auction the value the object would normally reach. The approach would be used mostly by those akin to carrion feeders, hoping to be able to get the best bit of flesh by striking the deceased at the very best time.
    Therefore, if you or anyone else was uninformed of the process of the merger and its impacts it was your own fault, plain and simple.

People whom were half way intelligent, picked up on certain aspects of the merger that could potentially save them quite a bit of money, with no need of any exploitation, simple.
    Trying to take advantage of extraordinary market situations is trying to exploit that situation for personal benefit. That is simply the truth, and no amount of rationalizing or spin is going to change that fact.
    Now, as I stated, I was hardly impacted by this result, in fact many of the bids I placed are still top bid, I'm ok with that. However, there are larger issues here that SHOULD have been considered, period.

1) As stated by myself and others, the impact of the lack of communication was many lost man hours and copious amounts of AD tied up on potentially long bids that under normal circumstances would have never been made.
    - I get the fact that they did not realize until the maintainence was under way that they would accomplish the feat of merging without cancelling, however that does not excuse the lack of foresight for potential player related issues as this one and the ones to follow.

2) Prepare to get your mind blown... Dragon server was 20-30% cheaper than Mindflayer and Beholder, period. I'd show proof, but I assure you, as I played on all 3 servers since launch, It was very much the truth. This resulted in (what some of you would refer to as an OMG EXPLOIT), Players able to log on as the servers went live scooped up auctions originally listed on Dragon for 20-30% discounts on average, resulting in quite the same outcome which would have been left up to the snipers.

3) Players were expecting a clean slate AH to start the fresh economy, while Mindflayer and Beholder were very similar, Dragon, as stated above was not. Not to mention the difference in price of Coal wards and Keys between each server was actually quite drastic. This is simply because players on each server all had different amounts of access to the wards and keys based on personal luck and finances. This resulted in many many many people being taken advantage of when the servers went live, period.

I would continue however I'm sure the issues will all fall on deaf ears regardless. The simple solution would have been to stick with the original plan, or surprise people in a positive way by refunding the deposit of each item.

One of the leading reasons online games fail is because of a lack of communication by the developers and staff and producing results contrary to what they state when they do communicate, period.

Expand your pea brains and think outside the box before you shout out absurdities like "lol u butthurt no exploit".

You, and many others tried to take advantage of unusual opportunities for profit the market merge would lead to by trying to exploit that situation for your personal benefit. Things didn't work out the way those trying to exploit the situation thought they would.

Your supposed, sudden concern for the victims of Dragon doesn't fool anyone when you were all too happy to try to exploit the situation to the loss of those whose items you were trying to snipe on. Your high horse has been clearly manufactured at the last minute, and was poorly constructed. If your exploitations had been successful I highly doubt you would have made it to begin with, never mind trying to ride it with such simulated passion.

Better luck in your next attempt at exploiting the market.
  • darvinthesixthdarvinthesixth Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Better luck in your next attempt at exploiting the market.

I was originally going to happily quote your rebuttle. However I've decided you're better off spending your trolling time at this address: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension
    (1/10 btw)

OT: I highly suggest a moderator lock this thread and perhaps sticky the link above, as well as a link to what an exploit is while you're at it. Maybe that will calm down these *** clowns without a hint of common sense.
    edited October 2013
    I was originally going to happily quote your rebuttle. However I've decided you're better off spending your trolling time at this address: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension
    (1/10 btw)

OT: I highly suggest a moderator lock this thread and perhaps sticky the link above, as well as a link to what an exploit is while you're at it. Maybe that will calm down these *** clowns without a hint of common sense.

The problem you are having in our discussion is that my ability to comprehend exceeds your ability to obfuscate. As far as the proper time to close the thread, I'm sure the moderators can figure that out on their own.