test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New to the Foundry: First Quest

celandorcelandor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
edited October 2013 in The Foundry
Hey guys and girls.

So I decided to have a play around with the Foundry, having never worked with something like this before, and managed to finish my first quest. I heard that the community for the game was really solid, so I thought it'd ask if people can have a look and tell me what they think, or things that I could work on to make it, and future works better. I found it really enjoyable to create and would love to make more, but would be kinda pointless if I wasn't very good at it :p

Anyway, just hoping for some feedback and reviews, let me know what you think. It's not very lore-like and I tried to create a mix of dialog and combat throughout. It's also about 40-50mins playthrough, depending on how fast you normally blitz through them and on what class you play. I tested it on a Guardian Fighter and my girlfriend on a TR, so curious to see how other class do :)

NW-DGZ1CZO24 "Between A Lock And A Hard Place"

I'm also interested in seeing other people's work, I do tend to try and do new foundry quests most days, but i'm sure I probably miss some really good ones ^^

Celandor Melek - Dragon (@Vigan)
Between A Lock And A Hard Place

NW-DGZ1CZO24
Post edited by celandor on

Comments

• Options
    annadruvezannadruvez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey, I'm all about new content. I'll take a look at it later tonight and let you know what I think. I'd appreciate if you'd check mine out, (my first, too) and provide any constructive criticism you might have. The info is in my sig.
    Pool of the Dead - NW-DLTS5X6TO - Duration: ~20 minutes - Daily Qualified

Fountain of Dread - NW-DACS7JITE - Duration: ~15minutes - BRAND NEW!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just tried to have a look at yours and it timed out on the loading screen, not sure if that's a problem with the quest or with Cryptic, but i'll try and give it look at later ^^

NW-DGZ1CZO24
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Got it working last night, left a review for you.

NW-DGZ1CZO24
  • Options
    lumicakerylumicakery Member Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    Hello, I'm new to the foundry as well. Can you check out mine, and I'll check out yours. A feedback or review would be much appreciated, thanks :).

Valerie's Dream
    NW-DRML9PPOT
    Joachim the Coward
    NW-DKK8NIRO6
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Us new foundry people have to stick together to get noticed ^^ I'll check it out when i've finished the one i'm doing now :)

NW-DGZ1CZO24
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Wouldn't let me fit everything into the review box, but I really enjoyed the story of the quest. The combat, not so much, but I was soloing it, so it could of been the reason I had a lot of trouble. You weren't kidding in the description when you said challenging for solo players :p Still, would advise that the last boss room has a couple of issues, not sure if they are intentional. 1) The boss can knock you off the ledge, though this may be intended, how about a fast travel back to that room? It's a long run from the start. 2) Players with knockbacks can through the mobs and boss off the ledge as well, which I did all too easily, by accident might I add :p Other than that, really enjoyed it, looking forward to more ^^

NW-DGZ1CZO24
  • Options
    lumicakerylumicakery Member Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    Thanks, I appreciate it :)
    Though it was meant to be duo play, I'm glad its still soloable. I'll try and see if I can make a fast travel thing. Heck I'll go and see if I can put an option to adjust difficulty. And the knockback is intentional, awareness is important as well :).
    Joachim the Coward
    NW-DKK8NIRO6
  • Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So, you asked for review on my thread and here it is, since the review box is so small. I might be a little pedantic, but here it is.

- Overall pub and crypt could do with a little more decoration
    - The background filter in the crypt made the enviroment look a little washed-out, unless that was intentional
    - Sometimes you dont write "I'm" and "I've" with capital letter (Bartender, Yalia and Warlock, if I remember correctly)
    - The final location was very large, but it had some empty rooms that didn't do anything
    - Was the "Defeat the demons" objective (Erines, 2 x Legion devil and Hellfire warlocks) intentionally hard? For me (lv50-ish cleric) that encounter was harder than final boss
    - I don't think I observed a lot of custom costumes and very little custom names?
    - I loved the FMA reference :D

I would love to get a review in return :D
    (Link in siggy)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I already did your quest yesterday ^^ And I'm pretty sure I left comments somewhere, but with my memory, it's possible I didn't in which case, I apologise. I remember that I did like the flow of the quest and story, but one the subject of more decoration, your dungeon areas were lacking a bit though the outdoor map looked pretty good.

I think the difficulty does change with class, also, depending on when you did the quest, I did reduce the encounters in that room to 3 I think. Can't believe I actually missed come capital 'I's, I checked that several times, lol, will check again later. Glad someone finally commented on the FMA reference, it's not that easy to make the NPCs look that good with the tools currently available, hehe ^^
    As for custom costumes, most everything that isn't a mob in there is custom, including a couple of the mobs, but I didn't see the need to customise all of them. Will do more customisation with the next project though ^^
    Thanks for the review :)

NW-DGZ1CZO24
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ah, I might have missed it since it was not on my thread and I am a bit too distracted for my own taste to look through multiple topics xP

Yeah, I know my dungeon decor needs to be improved - though I still think the Foundry creators need to give us more variety of items.

I didn't get the FMA reference on first encounter, but after I found the stone and returned to pub, I was like... "Oooooh! Now I get it!" :D
  • Options
    meysameysa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 72
    edited June 2013
    I'll run your quest next. Please reciprocate.

Storming Monte Hall
    NW-DEH6FU5KB
    Duration: 30 minutes, or so, in the L11, L21 and L31, tests I've done
    Solo: yes
    Story, combat

Catherine needs some work on punctuation. Also, while the whole dumb blonde thing is amusing, it begins to grate on you after a while. (Maybe that's just me.) :-)

At the end, please change the interact with the Catherine's Contract time. How long does it take to pick up a scroll?
    Storming Monte Hall Review Thread
    Storming Monte Hall NW-DRAQHLR54
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    meysa wrote: »
    I'll run your quest next. Please reciprocate.

Storming Monte Hall
    NW-DEH6FU5KB
    Duration: 30 minutes, or so, in the L11, L21 and L31, tests I've done
    Solo: yes
    Story, combat

Catherine needs some work on punctuation. Also, while the whole dumb blonde thing is amusing, it begins to grate on you after a while. (Maybe that's just me.) :-)

At the end, please change the interact with the Catherine's Contract time. How long does it take to pick up a scroll?

I think there was a pile of scrolls and you were looking for a correct one? At least that's how I understood it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    eskarine wrote: »
    I think there was a pile of scrolls and you were looking for a correct one? At least that's how I understood it.

Yup, that was the point. It was meant to be looking through the pile, since I find it silly that you can automatically find whatever item you're looking for in a pile instantly. Not a ruiner, but just a little silly :p
    I was intentionally going for something different with the succubus, wasn't sure annoying was what I was going for, but I guess each people see it differently and doesn't that add to personality of the character? That not everyone will like how they act and talk? Still, if more people comment on it, i'll tone it down a little ;-)

Would like to thank everyone for their awesome feedback, have been making notes and will get around to fixing/changing some things as I get time. I understand the grammar issues and think i've proven that although my first language is english, i'm not all that good at it :p

Need some more reviews to hit the Foundry Daily bench mark if there's anyone you know that will enjoy the quest too and more feedback is always appreciated :)

NW-DGZ1CZO24
  • Options
    garonayukigaronayuki Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just to let you know I had some problems going through this. It was a reasonable crawl until i hit the warlocks den. The door were already open and i waltzed in and got right to the warlock and then realised something was wrong and i couldnt do anything. After some brain scratching I closed the den doors and in doing so it pushed me outside the den. It was then that the quest line updated accordingly but the doors were no longer openable.

After spending time in there i was a bit frustrated so I had no choice but to leave it. I may try again later but i need a break from it first or i may go insane ;P

Thank you for you time and effort in making this.
    x
  • Options
    siggemckvacksiggemckvack Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm doing the quest right now and you can't open the doors im stuck... Unless i have missed something which is definitely an otion i have been trying for well over an hour now though..
  • Options
    phoeniciansonphoenicianson Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I played through your quest to review. I enjoyed it very much! Could you please play through mine, Fall of the City of Grumura
  • Options
    shannondoughertyshannondougherty Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    celandor wrote: »
    Need some more reviews to hit the Foundry Daily bench mark if there's anyone you know that will enjoy the quest too and more feedback is always appreciated :)

I played through it solo twice. I have a L60 Trickster Rogue on what was the Beholder shard, and it really wasn't all that hard for me. I do agree with the person that said that the "dumb blonde" thing was a bit nerve-grating, but overall it was easy for my level and class. I can't say the same for other classes and levels, but I would imagine some would be similar.

Still, great job on the whole thing! I really like it and would play it many times more if I had the chance. :)

I myself have one for review, but the special code thing for it is something I don't remember and would have to get into foundry to say, but the title is "Oh the Hordes!"

I've done a bit of tweaking to it since publishing it yesterday morning, but only one person has played through it already and given me their feedback in game. -shrug- It should be under the "For Review" section; the storyline is custom whereas the NPCs, mobs, and maps aren't since I didn't want the whole thing to go to waste. It would have been more time consuming to me... I spent three, maybe four days putting it together. ;;;

But yeah; play it if you can! Hope you enjoy it, too! :)