test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Boss loot tables

yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Lately I find it really hard to queue for dungeons. People are not really trying to beat the end boss anymore in some dungeons, in most dungeons they just farm first bosses. I think one problem is the loot table of end bosses. They are weak. Compared to other games I played end bosses really don't drop enough stuff. They drop the seals and an epic. And the epics that drop are known before anyway. If you got your armor you don't have much motivation to run dungeons again.

I'd like to see more drops from end bosses, maybe even depending how well you were progressing through the dungeon (like lower chances if people died too often or skipped to many mobs or whatever). End bosses for my taste should drop lots of items. It is kinda lame when you play a dungeon over an hour and in the end one person out of 5 gets the loot. Give others always a chance to acquire some loot. Why not drop like 10-20 items? Common stuff, rare stuff, epic stuff and even ultra-epic stuff with drop chances of like 0.01% or lower. What I could see dropping:

- Large ammounts or profession ressourcess like stacks up to 30 Residuum (in rare cases) or 50 Mithral ores, even epic ones (Dragon eggs)
- Profession tools (from common to epic)
- Profession assets
- Astral Diamonds (up to chunks of 1.000)
- Severall rare items (with slightly better stats than standard blue items)
- Green crappy items of course just to add things to the loot table
- Unique dyes (fitting the theme of a dungeon)
- Transmutable items (also linked to the theme of a dungeon)
- Cloaks (mainly for transmuting, but cool looking)
- Companions (very rare chance to drop)
- Mounts (also even less chance to drop than companions)
- Mount and companion training tokens (for upgrading) - also low chance to drop, but a motivation
- Cosmetic clothes
- Titles (very low chance also to drop)
- Higher level enchants (so up to rank 10s, chances become lower the higher the enchant will be)
- Special enchants (like the ones from past CTAs) that only drop in each dungeon, from 1-10
- Treasure items (just to sell for gold)
- Wards
- Fluff items (buffs to make something shine, glow or whatever)
- Skins for existing mounts/companions (add a special skin that can be used to change the visual appearance a little)
- Crafting recepies (add a new lvl 20 crafting task to a profession)

Of course it should not be easy to get cool stuff on every run. Mainly normal stuff should drop but chances should be that something cool "could" drop so you have a motivation to do a run with people still trying to get their armor pieces. And those stuff should be bound (best for account). It should not be in game to make a profit in AH but to motivate players to do runs for equipping their own chars.

This probably won't happen in a free2play game since they want us to buy all the cool stuff from ZEN-Store, but in the end: Buying from ZEN-Store is no motivation to play the game!
Post edited by yokihiro on

Comments

• Options
    kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well yeah...quite a list you've got there :D
    Wouldn't mind getting some other stuff from the trash all the way to the final boss tho - this was pointed out many many times before.

RNG is a cruel tool no questions asked...made like 17 ToS runs & never got my armor from the box O_o.

Anyway, let's hope some thing will get better along the way (fingers crossed).
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I agree with the general synopsis...

I don't care for the guaranteed purple drops that dungeons give us especially because what it really does is devalue drops. The changes to the dungeon delve chest have greatly alleviated that problem but rings and necklaces drop so much by every boss that they are basically salvage trash anyway.

A larger variety in boss drops would do good for the game IMO.

And before somebody chews me apart I am not saying make the actual drops people want (set items) rarer! But rather reduce the frequency of rings, necklaces and to some extent non-set items to supplement with a general drop table that includes items which players find valuable.

There could even be rarer items added like titles or maybe some Zen Store drops to appeal to players. I understand the need for the gear grind but that doesn't mean some items need to be overabundant. I think this is the first game I have played which doesn't have "filler" drops included and it's something which I felt was needed for a long time now.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I do really like the idea of quality-based bonus loot. A really good, thorough run, should be well rewarded. Not saying it should be purple gear, but something more than you would get from a non epic quest... =)
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    yukuaiitayukuaiita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Agree: better final loot, and more ppl do dungeons.
    firmaconsiglio.gif
  • Options
    bstbybstby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Getting blue items out of the T1 DD chests is absolutely frustrating. I'm OK with devs trying to make epic gear harder to earn, but to spend an hour or more just to vendor the blue for 34 silver? Cmon. Just put there a salvage token instead.
    Ranger.jpg
  • Options
    mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited October 2013
    lets try for example MC, why do we have to fight the last boss for what kind of reward? Nothing, ill just farm the 2/3 boss, where the parts for the new weapon drops.
  • Options
    nonameidknonameidk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I support this. Make it happen devs.
    When in doubt, just hold on. A new day will rise :)
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    lets try for example MC, why do we have to fight the last boss for what kind of reward? Nothing, ill just farm the 2/3 boss, where the parts for the new weapon drops.

Exacly, and when they finnaly build a hard boss without toons of adds guess what they do ?? give <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rewards lolol u can get the same loot at the 1st and 2nd boss of MC which is ridiculous in my opinion.

Im tired of saying in this foruns that the major current problem with this game is the Loot system. Its easier to get CN jewlery than T2 ones.... Its easier to get ancient weapons than T2 ones..... The drop rate for BoE items are so low that i actually dont do any T2 anymore (beside helping some guildies), it also leads for a T2 head piece costs like 1.5m AD at AH, more than any other ancient item .... like i said early MC drops are simply unbelievable, who was the genoius behind it lolol....

In my opinion a lot of people (like me) are still playing the game duo the fact that the combat is SUPER FUN but that's about that.... I personly dont have nothing else to do in this game which make me rly sad becasue i love it. Even before the game was beta launch many people warn in this foruns about the importance of end game content and end game systems.... Guess no one gaved a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to our opinion but now i think thats actually the biggest cryptic problem.

I like the OP ideas about boss loot, cryptic need to give us more incentives to keep playing their awesome super fun combat system.
  • Options
    bruenorebruenore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hear, hear!
  • Options
    srdjanasrdjana Banned Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaojlfdUbs

At the end of the video.... that's what a Dragon should "drop"
  • Options
    drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    Lately I find it really hard to queue for dungeons. People are not really trying to beat the end boss anymore in some dungeons, in most dungeons they just farm first bosses. I think one problem is the loot table of end bosses. They are weak. Compared to other games I played end bosses really don't drop enough stuff. They drop the seals and an epic. And the epics that drop are known before anyway. If you got your armor you don't have much motivation to run dungeons again.

I'd like to see more drops from end bosses, maybe even depending how well you were progressing through the dungeon (like lower chances if people died too often or skipped to many mobs or whatever). End bosses for my taste should drop lots of items. It is kinda lame when you play a dungeon over an hour and in the end one person out of 5 gets the loot. Give others always a chance to acquire some loot. Why not drop like 10-20 items? Common stuff, rare stuff, epic stuff and even ultra-epic stuff with drop chances of like 0.01% or lower. What I could see dropping:

- Large ammounts or profession ressourcess like stacks up to 30 Residuum (in rare cases) or 50 Mithral ores, even epic ones (Dragon eggs)
    - Profession tools (from common to epic)
    - Profession assets
    - Astral Diamonds (up to chunks of 1.000)
    - Severall rare items (with slightly better stats than standard blue items)
    - Green crappy items of course just to add things to the loot table
    - Unique dyes (fitting the theme of a dungeon)
    - Transmutable items (also linked to the theme of a dungeon)
    - Cloaks (mainly for transmuting, but cool looking)
    - Companions (very rare chance to drop)
    - Mounts (also even less chance to drop than companions)
    - Mount and companion training tokens (for upgrading) - also low chance to drop, but a motivation
    - Cosmetic clothes
    - Titles (very low chance also to drop)
    - Higher level enchants (so up to rank 10s, chances become lower the higher the enchant will be)
    - Special enchants (like the ones from past CTAs) that only drop in each dungeon, from 1-10
    - Treasure items (just to sell for gold)
    - Wards
    - Fluff items (buffs to make something shine, glow or whatever)
    - Skins for existing mounts/companions (add a special skin that can be used to change the visual appearance a little)
    - Crafting recepies (add a new lvl 20 crafting task to a profession)

Of course it should not be easy to get cool stuff on every run. Mainly normal stuff should drop but chances should be that something cool "could" drop so you have a motivation to do a run with people still trying to get their armor pieces. And those stuff should be bound (best for account). It should not be in game to make a profit in AH but to motivate players to do runs for equipping their own chars.

This probably won't happen in a free2play game since they want us to buy all the cool stuff from ZEN-Store, but in the end: Buying from ZEN-Store is no motivation to play the game!

I totally agree with this. This would be a good step forward for the game. But this is a F2P game you will never see drops that make it not nessesary to spend money in the Zen store. So it will never happen.
  • Options
    krinamankrinaman Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I agree as well. I would only add that you don't to remove any existing drops, simply make the chest(s) drop what they drop now PLUS the new stuff.
  • Options
    xilinearxilinear Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I agree with the general synopsis...

I don't care for the guaranteed purple drops that dungeons give us especially because what it really does is devalue drops. The changes to the dungeon delve chest have greatly alleviated that problem but rings and necklaces drop so much by every boss that they are basically salvage trash anyway.

I totally disagree with you. In fact, what is happening is a consequence of the change to the DD chest. No player would care anymore about dungeon delve chests unless he or she is still gearing up, what's inside is just salvage trash which if you are playing regularly can't even refine because you are just consistently over 24k AD. If you have your T2 gear, there is no incentive, not even monetary to run dungeon delves. It is understandable then that people would stop at few first bosses and don't bother going further, the incentive is there. Farming rings is just more lucrative than running bosses.

The problem is not really bosses, or loot, but a symptom of lack of challenging end game content associated with poor itemization. Don't get me wrong, the dungeons are fun as they are, but the loot itself is lackluster. It can be summarized by get one of the uber set items for your class and then stop running dungeons. There are probably at most 2 set items that are really useful if you are one of the lucky classes, otherwise, it is ONE SET TO RULE THEM ALL. All other loot is basically garbage.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I agree but would add one factor in determining what drops for each player...

the number of dungeons run in the last 24 hours.

Farmers are the single greatest contribution to devaluation of loot. Allow 2-3 dungeon runs per day with full chance for great drops, then progressively apply a negative modifier to the loot roll. That way a player can get in 5-6 good runs a day with good loot (later runs slightly lower drops but still worth the run), but farmers that use every glitch in the book to farm as fast as possible, all day long will see diminishing returns on their invested time.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    xilinear wrote: »
    lack of challenging end game content associated with poor itemization.

Have you tried beating CN without having 2-3 CW's in HV exploiting the extreme stacking bug/issue? If yes, please PM me and share your strategy :-)
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    xilinearxilinear Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Have you tried beating CN without having 2-3 CW's in HV exploiting the extreme stacking bug/issue? If yes, please PM me and share your strategy :-)

I haven't gone back to CN to clear all bosses since, as I said, as soon as I got my weapons there was no point really in wasting time there. There are a million videos about CN in youtube, use which ever strategy you like. You abosolutely don't need 2 CWs in your team. One is needed though. And honestly, I find Karrundax bosses (1st and second) more challenging than CN bosses :-).
  • Options
    raptorskyfireraptorskyfire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I would love to see some kind of incentive to do dungeons when DD isn't active. In fact, maybe, just to be different, let's say you kill a boss during professions time, which makes a profession asset drop. PvP hour up? Maybe some kind of enchant shard drops. Point being, because it's not DD hour, something unique dropping during that time might be interesting. I am all for unique things dropping from the bosses as the OP stated, but perhaps there could be something at different times (make it a rare thing at least) just for a change. perhaps even have trash drop more profession items while it's up too. Just a thought.
    Part of Storm-Shore, a RP/PvE guild. http://www.stormshore.com/

I have many alts, I am a class and race rainbow.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not that I'm keeping records, but trash do appear to drop more/better profession items during the event, at least up to blue crystals. I suspect those rare screenies you see where someone has a dragon egg loot drop also occurred during the professions event.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    carletto75carletto75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Definitely Agree!
    I like to play some dungeons (spell/pirate king) for shard and salvaging items on the DD's Chest, but sincerely if I can find some other valuable stuff directly from killing last boss, like profession resource (residuum, arcane shard, etc.), treasure for gold, and many of items listed on first post, probably get me to do dungeons all the time....

Btw atm... finish Spellplague and get an armor BoP furthermore I already wear for 10K RAD... let me say: is a completely waste of time. But only know to have a chance to drop something different, revamp immediately my interest!

Pls dev, consider this and make this happens!
  • Options
    dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There is incentives to complete a dungeon. The daily which gives you diamonds, extra seals, and the feeling of accomplishment.
    NO more! If you guys want more then they have to make the dungeons harder and longer. They better not DARE do that!

MOARZ
  • Options
    carletto75carletto75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There is incentives to complete a dungeon. The daily which gives you diamonds, extra seals, and the feeling of accomplishment.
    NO more! If you guys want more then they have to make the dungeons harder and longer. They better not DARE do that!

MOARZ

So are you happy to complete a dungeon and get ALL THE TIME the same BoP armor?
    Do you think this is productive for the end game?