test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where have all the people gone?

drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have logged into the game little while ago. Only 7 instances in PE and about 50 average each instance. Even the forum seems to have less posters on it. More unhappy posters then positive ones. Even only one short page of posts for today so far. And i checked other MMO forums there isnt a major number on thier forums that are negative.

I dont see this game as a complete fail it does still have some life left in it. But even only starting a few months ago even i seen a drop in peoples in game and now on the forum also.

This game needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat sooner then later. The up and coming MMO's like WILDSTAR, ELDER SCROLLS, and even Everquest next are coming ever closer to launch. Also next month the PS4 and XboxOne are going to drain away even more people.

This game will be left with maybe 100k players next spring and even then 10% of that will be gold sellers. But i guess eventually even the gold sellers will quit also.
Post edited by drbaals on

Comments

• dublindandublindan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thats funny, I have to switch instances at PE because it the one that loaded was at 148 and I went to the sixth one, which didn't have over a 100. This was beholder server.....
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Mindflayer? Mindflayer seems to have a pretty small population. Plus, it's where most of the RPers are, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people logged in there have found someplace other than PE to play in.

I certainly have trouble thinking you're referring to Dragon being that empty, because I have never seen it that empty, ever.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    More "New accounts" desperately trying to convince us the game is dead.

Nothing to see here. :rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What can people do in PE that they can't do elsewhere? Why should they be standing in PE instead of participating in an event like call-to-arm or other dungeons? There are also Sharandar and Gauntlgrym now.
  • ameranth342ameranth342 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    I have logged into the game little while ago. Only 7 instances in PE and about 50 average each instance. Even the forum seems to have less posters on it. More unhappy posters then positive ones. Even only one short page of posts for today so far. And i checked other MMO forums there isnt a major number on thier forums that are negative.

I dont see this game as a complete fail it does still have some life left in it. But even only starting a few months ago even i seen a drop in peoples in game and now on the forum also.

This game needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat sooner then later. The up and coming MMO's like WILDSTAR, ELDER SCROLLS, and even Everquest next are coming ever closer to launch. Also next month the PS4 and XboxOne are going to drain away even more people.

This game will be left with maybe 100k players next spring and even then 10% of that will be gold sellers. But i guess eventually even the gold sellers will quit also.

I keep seeing posts of people saying it is busy, but having played since Beta weekends and every day without fail i can saftly say there is alot less population now than there as ever been, for around 2 months after live launch my guild of over 400 members always had at least 50 online, and at DD times near treable, now, these days i log and i am the only one online, been like that for 2 months now.

I was in Rothe Vally just a few hours ago, peak UK time, 3 instances open, with a grand total of 18 players between them all and this is Dragon, were most say it is busy, lol

I know there is always a few around PE, but still compared to a few months ago there is at least only 1/3 the players around and most seem to be new players judging by the constant spam in chat of obvious new player questions, ie: is there a bank, what lvl do i get mount , etc etc
    edited October 2013

Why make the asumption they are 'new' players many many have multiple accounts and many have played for months without ever visiting the forums.

The OP was not desperately trying to do anything, he was just wondering were everybody had gone, it is a fact there are less active in the game now, your very delusional is you believe its busier now than ever before.

Every body as a right to an opinion, so either reply in a proper manner or dont bother stupid short witty replys are not needed
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I will point out one fallacy with that: Join Date is the first time a player made a post in or logged into a particular forum, and is specific to that forum. It doesn't necessarily mean the player hasn't been playing the game before that. Just an FYI.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All games experience a drop in player numbers as they mature and Feywild will be sucking a lot of players out of PE. Having said that, a game does need to have something about it to keep a loyal band of veterans as well as attracting and retaining a steady stream of newbies. I'd say that NW's not quite at that point yet.

I will point out one fallacy with that: Join Date is the first time a player made a post in or logged into a particular forum, and is specific to that forum. It doesn't necessarily mean the player hasn't been playing the game before that. Just an FYI.

True. Not Necessarily....
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
    edited October 2013

THANK YOU, my point exactly :)
    edited October 2013
    I also think alot dont play 'as' much these days due to there being nothing to do, , if like me there is hardly ever anyone on in there guild and they are already BiS geared there is nothing else really to work for. I would not mind if there was a few guildies on even though i am well geared in helping them run dungeons to help them and for abit of fun for myself, but in reality with all the problems and bugs in every dungeon, they are not realy 'fun' anymore

All there is to do now for well geared end game players is the Sharandar dailies, but they only take about an hour a day to do, and if your well geared in T2 sets, the Sharandar gear is not worth grinding for, i noticed for me all the 'new' Sharandar gear is actually a downgrade. bassicaly it is all down to I just run out of things to do.

And Yes i rolled some Alts, i have 2 60 CW's in BiS gear, 3 60 DC's with slightly diferent builds and a 60 TR all are 12k + GS and dont need any upgrades. nothing 'BOUGHT' all worked for running non exploit dungeon runs
  • baddumtssbaddumtss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I keep seeing posts of people saying it is busy, but having played since Beta weekends and every day without fail i can saftly say there is alot less population now than there as ever been, for around 2 months after live launch my guild of over 400 members always had at least 50 online, and at DD times near treable, now, these days i log and i am the only one online, been like that for 2 months now.

I was in Rothe Vally just a few hours ago, peak UK time, 3 instances open, with a grand total of 18 players between them all and this is Dragon, were most say it is busy, lol

I know there is always a few around PE, but still compared to a few months ago there is at least only 1/3 the players around and most seem to be new players judging by the constant spam in chat of obvious new player questions, ie: is there a bank, what lvl do i get mount , etc etc

Similar situation here, my guild from beta with 200+ members went down to 3 semi-active players. With the Feywild update around 10 members came back but left again in 1 week.

I guess it's normal that the player-base goes down in pretty much every mmo after launch. The only mmo's i can think of that had a constantly growing player-base are EQ and WoW.
  • rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    While I agree that some of the responses to the OP were not in good manner, I also don't see the point of the thread.

What is the point? There are less players now? Who are you trying to tell? Us? Some will believe you, some won't. Cryptic/PW? They'll know how many are/aren't actually playing better than anyone, so what's the point of telling them there are less players?

Describing things you think should be done to improve the game or simply that you would like to see, is one thing. Stating little more than "there are less players, do something special" is going to achieve what exactly? I will fight to the death to defend your right to voice any decent civil opinion in a public forum, but don't see where you're going here.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
    edited October 2013
    baddumtss wrote: »
    Similar situation here, my guild from beta with 200+ members went down to 3 semi-active players. With the Feywild update around 10 members came back but left again in 1 week.

I guess it's normal that the player-base goes down in pretty much every mmo after launch. The only mmo's i can think of that had a constantly growing player-base are EQ and WoW.

From my point of view there is very little in the way of player retention, BUT that said, most 'old' players have already bought there bags, account mounts, etc etc months ago, so looking at it from the companys point of view, it is a business first and formost and new players are the most likely to spend on the game, so i can see a point in producing more mounts and companions etc with this in focus before introducing more content.

That said, i have run all dungeons , done most things in game, but for me it is not new content i would like to see first, i would like to see all the old dungeons fixed first so they have to be run how they was originaly intended to be run and not completed by camp fire jumping or rock climbing etc

I know for a fact the high majority of players who left the game from my guild was because they was fed up of the exploits and all the issues and bugs in content, it made everything frustrating instead of what it is supposed to be 'FUN'
  • rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The only mmo's i can think of that had a constantly growing player-base are EQ and WoW.

WoW may be the biggest still, but it's not growing. PC Gamer, multiple magazines and even the BBC itself have reported the decline. As for EQ, which one? EQ basic saw growth last year, but am not sure of this year or EQ2.

Edit: a quick search shows similar data (in relative terms) for EQ2, again mostly for 2012. Still, WoW is not growing. Please substantiate your information or you're no different from people in wikipedia using "weasel words".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
    edited October 2013
    rortie wrote: »
    WoW may be the biggest still, but it's not growing. PC Gamer, multiple magazines and even the BBC itself have reported the decline. As for EQ, which one? EQ basic saw growth last year, but am not sure of this year or EQ2.

Edit: a quick search shows similar data (in relative terms) for EQ2, again mostly for 2012. Still, WoW is not growing. Please substantiate your information or you're no different from people in wikipedia using "weasel words".

YeS but take into concideration WoW is near 9 years old now, so you just can not compare any game to that, and to be honest it as done well to keep going for so long, but alas it is now running out of story lines and anything new to add, plus Blizzard are working on there new MMO
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The thing is the game needs pretty good strong overhall. I just wish they finished the game first before launching it to the public. The game seems like its in beta still. When these other games launch early next year they wont be as unpolished as this game seems to be even at this late after its launch. Yes all games MMos have issues at launch but they do for the most of them get fixed early.

I really do hope the next mod 2 will fix most of the issues. But from how things go with this game they might fix the old issues but that will cause even more. Then they are adding new stuff and of course major flaws so far in the past whenever they add new stuff.

I would rather they shut down the game like they did with FF14 and just finsh the game fix everything people dont like about it. Then relaunch it again even better then before. I dont like final fantasy world type games otherwise i would be playing that game along with its 6million plus players.
  • kierlakxkierlakx Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rortie wrote: »

He used the word "had", which is past tense. In their respective primes, EQ and WoW both had long period where they did nothing but gain subs. Yes, WoW is not growing anymore, but it is, even while losing subs, the home of vastly more players than any other similar game, and will remain that way for several more years at a minimum.
    edited October 2013
    No one has explained or ideas of where all the people have gone? I think it boils down to the lack of funds they have to make this game better or to keep up with the bugs and exploits.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No one has explained or ideas of where all the people have gone? I think it boils down to the lack of funds they have to make this game better or to keep up with the bugs and exploits.

Burnout. Not much left to do for many people. I play much less than I used to(typically logging on to do my invoke and sparks only with the occasional PvP or GG event thrown in.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I'm sorry, but where, pray tell, is your proof that there is a lack of funds, besides the presumptive "proof" that this is an F2P game? You're relying on data that, quite frankly, you lack, unless you happen to be a Cryptic employee with the access to that kind of data. Given your post history, I sincerely doubt that.

Also, patch notes would prove you dead wrong in keeping up with bugs. There won't be a "megapatch" to rid the game completely of bugs and such but that does not equate to the fallacy that it isn't being worked on. That your pet bug isn't squashed in a given patch does not mean the devs are not working on the issue.

Your method of determining population is extremely unscientific, without any methodology, and appears only to be drawn at times likely to support your already predetermined conclusion. One sampling drawn at a completely random time doesn't prove a thing. What time was this data drawn, and from what source? Prime time? Off-peak hours? Nothing in your OP even remotely suggests that this was drawn at anything like an appropriate time, or that any more sample sizes were taken. Therefore, it would appear that the data drawn is inherently flawed and biased to support a specific conclusion, and lacks objectivity.

In conclusion, I have to ask just what is the purpose of this thread other than to yet again be negative about the game?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2013

True that the player base drops in most MMO's after launch, but EvE would be the only MMO that still consistently grows in subscription numbers.

And that's a 10 year old game.
  • raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2013

If it was specific to a certain forum, then why would we still have beta sign up dates listed? Wouldn't they have gone away with the beta forums?

And since I never posted or signed into the beta forums until last spring, shouldn't my join date reflect that instead of when I signed up for beta?
    edited October 2013
    I'm sorry, but where, pray tell, is your proof that there is a lack of funds, besides the presumptive "proof" that this is an F2P game? You're relying on data that, quite frankly, you lack, unless you happen to be a Cryptic employee with the access to that kind of data. Given your post history, I sincerely doubt that.

Also, patch notes would prove you dead wrong in keeping up with bugs. There won't be a "megapatch" to rid the game completely of bugs and such but that does not equate to the fallacy that it isn't being worked on. That your pet bug isn't squashed in a given patch does not mean the devs are not working on the issue.

Your method of determining population is extremely unscientific, without any methodology, and appears only to be drawn at times likely to support your already predetermined conclusion. One sampling drawn at a completely random time doesn't prove a thing. What time was this data drawn, and from what source? Prime time? Off-peak hours? Nothing in your OP even remotely suggests that this was drawn at anything like an appropriate time, or that any more sample sizes were taken. Therefore, it would appear that the data drawn is inherently flawed and biased to support a specific conclusion, and lacks objectivity.

In conclusion, I have to ask just what is the purpose of this thread other than to yet again be negative about the game?

The lack of funds is because of the lack of fixing the games issues. Or have all the exploits, bugs, game balances, pvp botz, gold spammers been fixed? Sorry if they are all fixed i correct my mistake then. Well and if those issues arent fixed then whats lacking from the devs, if they have all the funds needed to hire people to fix 90- 95% of the known issues. What about the fact the MiD summer event didnt happen until close to beginning of fall. What are the devs lacking if they as you say have all the funds they need to put out things in more timely. Are we to expect halloween near Xmas time? Is that planned for some funny reason?

As to in game population since they said the game has 2million players. The majority of the people dont believe in that number. Why not just post the metrics of the game at present. That would be great but the company wont ever do that it would show a huge drop from that 2million. They will boast about that 2million number for as long as they can. Most MMos will post their players numbers and are happy to do so. Well maybe WoW isnt happy because they are loosing players also. I think little under 8million and falling slowly. FF14 is about 6million and steady for now that will drop soon maybe. Eveonline slowly growing they post that number on a website i think.

And maybe from the thread TiTle you could figure out the thread is about. I want to know where all the people went? What happened to them? I for one dont see 2million people playing this game in any possible way right now. Are they all hiding in some special instance?
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Hi you!

I logged in a few weeks ago or so and have to say protectors enclave was dead as doornail compared to when I was still playing and posting in these forums.

Maybe was bad timing but the few times I have checked there has been no where near as many people as before, heh funny thing there still some people using my guild bank as storage lol. If I was an evil jerk I would kick them all out lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited October 2013
    the Bind on Pick-up basically killed the game.... no question...
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Where have all the people gone?

To play Champions Online.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited October 2013
    the Bind on Pick-up basically killed the game.... no question...

Why did they do this in the first place? Was it to reduce gold farmers from a way to farm stuff to sell in the AH.

Yes that was probly one of the main reasons some people left but it was more likely just one more kick in the seeds. And lack of fixing known exploits and bugs. Along with end game feywild grind just to boring.

We should make a list of all the reasons people have left the game. Maybe by some far out chance the devs will take notice to the reasons people are leaving the game and do something to stop it.
  • mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited October 2013
    Why did they do this in the first place? Was it to reduce gold farmers from a way to farm stuff to sell in the AH.

Yes that was probly one of the main reasons some people left but it was more likely just one more kick in the seeds. And lack of fixing known exploits and bugs. Along with end game feywild grind just to boring.

We should make a list of all the reasons people have left the game. Maybe by some far out chance the devs will take notice to the reasons people are leaving the game and do something to stop it.

There are tons of reason why people left the game, but most probably this one top them all, most freebie ppl rely on Dungeon runs to sell on AH to gain AD and buy Zen, this is the hardcore gamer with more time but less money to spend. But the target of PW are ppl with money with less time to spend. But you cannot have one without the other and the hardcore gamer outnumber the ppl who spend money on the game ( i read somewhere before that only 10% of total player base actually bought $$$ items and 1% of 10% are the OP who spend thousand $$).

Anyways, i hope PW/Cryptic will not make thesame mistake of BoP on the new Module 2, and BoE items on the new map.
  • sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's just that once reaching 60, and 10k GS, the end game turns into gear grind ... everything costs millions of AD.
    Thus after a few days/weeks of playing people burn out. Than they will level a new toon, what will give diminishing results after a while, because all toons have to play through the same content again (aside form a few class or race specific quests)
    Sharandar gave some new content, time gated yes, but that's a good thing, makes one not rush through. And it gives new gear.

I personally as a casual player haven't played through Sharandar yet, and I am looking forward the next release. ETA on that ?

PS. Midsummer festival was great too.
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Once you hit 60 the dungeon queues take ages to pop. If they pop they most of the time are buggy. So if you haven't found a fixed group until then you can just leave it.

Motivation once 60 is low:

- The drops in dungeons are weak, not enough cool stuff drops. If you have the armor pieces from the 4 dungeons for example there is not much that attracts you doing them.
    - Crafting is boring, nothing to work for there either.
    - No quests once you are done with the quest line.
    - No cool achievements to work for.
    - No epic mobs, raid mobs to kill that don't need hordes of trash mobs to be killed before reaching them.
    - No guild activities.
    - No housing, nothing to collect to enhance you home.
    - No ladder systems. You can PVP but for what?
    - Stupid grind and pay systems: Only the throught of upgrading enchants to rank 10 makes me wanna quit this game.

Thing is: You are easily lvl 60 in one week or if you play a lot in some days. And then it's over. Then the repetitive parts begin. Grind, grind, grind without any interesting parts. The longterm motivation is quite low. EQ2 for example had thousands of things you could do once you were max level. On the other hand Warhamer online skipped all the PVE parts but had a cool PVP experience to motivate you, huge realm vs. realm battles. Neverwinter focusses on dungeons but there they would need to add so much more if they want to be motivating with that.
This discussion has been closed.