test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How are we suppose to get Assets?

jeepinjeepin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Having recently hit 20 in Tailoring, I ventured out to find tools. There were no Tailoring purple tools in the auction. So then I thought about the lock boxes.. Oh wait.. they only drop weapon smithing and artificing now... So then I thought about the Profession Packs, but it dawned on me that you have to pay over $10 for a CHANCE at MAYBE getting a purple tool and hopefully by some miracle, you will actually get the one you need for your profession. My income is not disposable.

Is there an easier or alternative way that I am missing?
Post edited by jeepin on

Comments

• Options
    jiglesjigles Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That or u spend 5 coins from invocation, on the chance to get blue ones to upgrade yourself :)
    Collision - LVL 60 TR ○○○ ENYO - LVL 60 CW
  • Options
    timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    jeepin wrote: »
    Having recently hit 20 in Tailoring, I ventured out to find tools. There were no Tailoring purple tools in the auction. So then I thought about the lock boxes.. Oh wait.. they only drop weapon smithing and artificing now... So then I thought about the Profession Packs, but it dawned on me that you have to pay over $10 for a CHANCE at MAYBE getting a purple tool and hopefully by some miracle, you will actually get the one you need for your profession. My income is not disposable.

Is there an easier or alternative way that I am missing?

Unfortunately, no. Choices:

1 - Do a quest in the Neverwinter Graveyard that grants a one-time free asset pack that has a chance to drop a tool.
    2 - Wait patiently for a purple tool to be placed in AH, and expect to pay 7 digit AD for it.
    3 - Buy the cheaper $3 Profession Pack, but lower chance.
    4 - Buy the lower quality greens and blues, then convert to a purple through task

Anyone has any more non-scamming way to offer, please do.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ahh... the packs from celestial coins drop resources (materials), not assets. Which I assume the OP knows and understands the difference, but the responder above doesn't.

As for assets, if nobody is selling them and you're not gambling for them, then you need to play a waiting game. Next time there's a special deal in the profession packs, like with the Lillends, expect to find cheaper and more plentiful assets.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    jigles wrote: »
    That or u spend 5 coins from invocation, on the chance to get blue ones to upgrade yourself :)

What? That box now grants tools and/or assets? I thought it is only up to blue resources. Is there really such a BIG buff to the box, and I mean BIG?

edit : nvm, someone answered after I post.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jigles wrote: »

No you don't. That is a RESOURCE pack. it gives you RESOURCES. It is NOT an ASSET pack. Tools are ASSETS, not RESOURCES.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    timmbeer wrote: »
    What? That box now grants tools and/or assets? I thought it is only up to blue resources. Is there really such a BIG buff to the box, and I mean BIG?

Good grief, no. he just doesn't understand the difference between assets and resources.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Good grief, no. he just doesn't understand the difference between assets and resources.

Thought of it. The forum would have filled with praises if that had happened.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    jiglesjigles Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    No you don't. That is a RESOURCE pack. it gives you RESOURCES. It is NOT an ASSET pack. Tools are ASSETS, not RESOURCES.

my bad. sorry. i missread it :/
    Collision - LVL 60 TR ○○○ ENYO - LVL 60 CW
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    With all of the complaining that happens about they need to fix this or that... I think if anything, they need to fix availabilty of tools! Holy smokes! And to add 1 more wrench into the works (low quality wrench, because you can't find a good quality one)
    Why do they have crafting Exp for lvl 20 crafted items?
  • Options
    methuselasmethuselas Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Jeepin,

If you need tool assets, I'd recommend getting the professional asset pack. Yeah, it's 1600 zen, but you get a total of 5 assets, one of which is a guaranteed blue. The booster pack is only 300, but only gives you 1 asset with a guarantee of green. So, that means you get results of 5 greens with the same amount of Zen on booster packs, to the 1 blue with the professional asset pack. Typically, though, you get two blues with the asset pack. I think the 100 extra zen is worth it. The last professional asset pack I opened, I got 2 Platesmiths, 1 Steel Crucible, 1 Master Mailsmith and a Green Anvil. I didn't have to risk getting resources, like with the booster pack. I didn't need the platesmiths, really, but they're nice to have to convert to master eventually.

Getting assets is an investment. You really have to purchase 4 or 5 before it becomes worthwhile.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Meth,

I kinda agree with you, but my biggest concern with that is: It's roughly $20 ($20 with 400z left over) so I could essentially buy the professional asset pack and booster pack, do a couple of surveys and have enough to buy a key... But after all that, I am not guaranteed to even get the asset I need. I've personally spent between a slew and an assload on profession packs and keys and have gotten a few blues and purples, and sadly not 1 Tailoring tool. That's my biggest conundrum. But alas, I see that there is no other way.
  • Options
    jsmoothnw111jsmoothnw111 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well TBO, I started out a bit disheartened concerning the assets being a cash only option. About a week ago, I spotted someone willling to trade their blue level weaponsmith for gold. Yes, I probably paid more than the going rate. But honestly, gold isn't as important to me as say zen or AD. I wasn't actually leveling weaponsmithing, so a few days later, I was able to trade my blue weaponsmith for 4 green platesmiths. I'm leveling platesmithing, so I'll be able to convert them back into a blue anyways with a little time invested.

I was also fortunate to get a coal ward from the 7 day box/bag. I converted mine into a couple of keys, but you could probably trade one of those for another blue asset.
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ^^ what jsmooth said. Trading around is probably your best bet, just beware of people who are price gouging.
  • Options
    jarlsburgjarlsburg Member Posts: 222 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    jeepin,

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth, you are better off not getting the assets. You can only make shirts and pants with Level 20 tailoring so it is not worth the HUGE investment to get all purple tools. You will spend a fortune in time and money trying to get them from the Zen store and, sadly, your only other option is to spend a fortune getting them from other players. In time you may be able to recoup the cost of the assets after you sell 50 - 60 pants or shirts. To me it is just not worth it unless you are sure you will be in this game for the long haul because it will take you months to see a return on your investment.

Trust me, professions are not worth the money they cost. I have all the assets and they just sit in my bags because I don't use them anymore. I hold on to them because I hope someday they will revamp professions and make them useful, but I doubt it will happen. Leadership is the only worthwhile profession as long as you don't run a lot of dungeons (salvaging your cap makes leadership a waste).