Install Arc
Options

Return to Neverwinter!

2»

Comments

• Options
    starmaster450starmaster450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The Levels/Weapon package Code said that there was an error with my request when I typed it in on the website. I logged in and checked the special content vendor and THERE IT IS. +2 levels and an epic weapon package. Maybe even if the code doesn't appear to work it still shows up in game...

Moving past that, when I first started playing this game I TRIED to get my friends to play it, even got some to try it! They were interested in the player-made content. But the lack of rewards available for completing anything but the PWE Approved content left them with a bad taste in their mouth. Whats the point of going though a long, intuitive story quest if the promised treasure at the end is a crappy item you can get ten of from wandering into any area of the game.

It seems like PWE either doesn't want to approve very many of the player made stuff, they just don't care, or they are way too scared of possible exploits after the ones that have happened before.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    If the game were doing so well why are they sending out emails like this? seems unnecessary really. I unsubbed from the newsletter because I kept getting advertisements and not a single one said "New classes blah blah blah!" so I pretty much uninstalled the game until I see in the gaming news that they'll be coming out with new classes and filling out the classes that are already out.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    How epic is the free epic weapon? any screenshots?
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    How epic is the free epic weapon? any screenshots?

Yeah. I'm curious what the TR weapon looks like.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    NW's gameplay is... flat and boring. The zones are somewhat interesting but I honestly think they should have made progression 'broader' and not have the cool zones practically speed by. The classes are absolutely _bizarrely_ restrictive compared to almost every mmo of the last decade and the last three editions of D&D.

What could have absolutely sewed up the competition, though, is Foundry. There's _nothing_ like it anywhere else in MMOs (except STO, which is, well, Cryptic).

And they flubbed it up.

Me, I'm waiting for a series of massive overhauls of Foundry to make this a game worth playing.

sigh
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If the game were doing so well why are they sending out emails like this? seems unnecessary really. I unsubbed from the newsletter because I kept getting advertisements and not a single one said "New classes blah blah blah!" so I pretty much uninstalled the game until I see in the gaming news that they'll be coming out with new classes and filling out the classes that are already out.

You're not really familiar with MMO marketing are you? WoW was rocking 12 million subs when it launched it's try it for free campaign...and of course people on those forums was saying the sky was falling as well. :rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Som, I honestly think you didn't actually read the original post. Seems like you might have just read the subject line.

Unless there's an email in my box about what I posted... let's see...

Nope.

I didn't intend to particularly post again, but... I saw that I had two posts from staff.

Yay! Someone had read it!

And then...

I read what they were responding to.

Yeah.

As far as the other people asking where said merchant is...

Really?

C'mon.

You'll make 50 separate threads asking about when the new classes are coming out, but you have to piggy back and throw this thread off-topic to ask where the guy is.

/facepalm

I'm crying a little bit inside.

How can you stay this calm and relaxed? Hats off, bud! That second response really takes the cake. Yet it appears as if there's nothing one can do to counter this bold "community management".
  • Options
    drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    You're not really familiar with MMO marketing are you? WoW was rocking 12 million subs when it launched it's try it for free campaign...and of course people on those forums was saying the sky was falling as well. :rolleyes:

Ya and now it at 8 million and falling. FF14 is at 6 million and rising. I dont like FF14 or wow just had to put those numbers out there.

This game is at this point in time i would guess 400k and falling. Cryptic could easy post just like EveOnline present play base and current up to date info on that. But they like to stick to the 2million mark which is totally not right.

They are now at the point of begging people to come back to play the game.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    Ya and now it at 8 million and falling. FF14 is at 6 million and rising. I dont like FF14 or wow just had to put those numbers out there.

This game is at this point in time i would guess 400k and falling. Cryptic could easy post just like EveOnline present play base and current up to date info on that. But they like to stick to the 2million mark which is totally not right.

They are now at the point of begging people to come back to play the game.

you can think that, but without any real facts... what have you got? even if i hung out in blackdagger ruins all day every day for six months to see how many new people are starting characters, all i'd have is the data from one personal experience and not the total of any factual numbers.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    you can think that, but without any real facts... what have you got? even if i hung out in blackdagger ruins all day every day for six months to see how many new people are starting characters, all i'd have is the data from one personal experience and not the total of any factual numbers.

Fact they just sent out emails to people begging them to come back and bribed them with free stuff.

I started playing the game about month ago. I have seen a drop in the ingame population. Only really played the game so far for 3 weeks about.

This game does have a problem its loosing the players.

If this company would release the metrics like Eve online or otjher mmos all this would be cleared up. But they wont because it would show the truth
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just to clarify, the fact that they send emails with prizes for comign back doesn't mean anything, it's part of marketing. I subscribed to marvel to be able to read their comics online, for around 2 months or so, then because of money I didn't keep it and left.
    They started sending me emails about coming back and lowering the fee for the subscription, wich I ignored until they sent me an email saying that The hulk was furious about me leaving, and made them lower the fee to around 50% of the original price for a year if I went back, so I decided to take it.
    It's not strange for companies to give freebies to recover lost subs/clients. and it doesn't mean they're loosing customers. I know that Marvel is not on the verge of banktupt or anything... XD
    Note, I'm not saying NW isn't loosing players, I'm just saying that them offering things to those who have left to come back, doesn't mean anything more than smart marketing.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    xiphenonxiphenon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Because, you really need more classes.

I mean, really need classes.

There are 4 roles in D&D 4: Leader, tank, controller, striker.

There are currently 5 classes and 5 slots form a full group.

Even with 5 classes you already have people complaining that they are unwanted in groups. Some class roles are more important then other showing a need of balance ... not even takking about PvP.

Now we introduce another class that (i) follow one of above mentioned roles or (ii) is a hybrid role. If the new class wouldn't be well balanced, the result will be for (i) that this new class will eliminate all other competing classes in this role (as already is true for fighter class, see the GWF vs GF problem in groups). Or for the case of (ii) the class will be a jack of all trades, master of none - and, hence, unwanted in any group.

I'm quite sure that Cryptic is aware of this problem, too and, therefore, hesistate to quickly release a new class - they have even problems currently to balance the already existing classes.

One solution might be to increase the existing group strenght of 5 to 6 and introduce a buff that is given to a group containing of 6 different classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the fact that they send emails with prizes for comign back doesn't mean anything, it's part of marketing. I subscribed to marvel to be able to read their comics online, for around 2 months or so, then because of money I didn't keep it and left.
    They started sending me emails about coming back and lowering the fee for the subscription, wich I ignored until they sent me an email saying that The hulk was furious about me leaving, and made them lower the fee to around 50% of the original price for a year if I went back, so I decided to take it.
    It's not strange for companies to give freebies to recover lost subs/clients. and it doesn't mean they're loosing customers. I know that Marvel is not on the verge of banktupt or anything... XD
    Note, I'm not saying NW isn't loosing players, I'm just saying that them offering things to those who have left to come back, doesn't mean anything more than smart marketing.

Its still a bribe to get players back no matter what you say. If this game didnt have a problem with loosing players we would still have 2million happy players which we dont have anymore. Its just a chance of fate i guess your saying that during this spurt of loosing players they just happened to send out the email bribing people or begging them to come back to the game.

What i would like to see is the metrics for the game. Other MMOs do this dont they. My guess would be about 400k current actaul players playing regularly.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Figure I'd stop by, and answer the thread on one point.

I'm sort of ninja like that.

Good to see people with constructive (read: intelligent) advice.

I have hope for humanity.

It's a faint glimmer, probably killed by the next "where is the guy in PE" post forthcoming.
    xiphenon wrote: »
    Even with 5 classes you already have people complaining that they are unwanted in groups. Some class roles are more important then other showing a need of balance ... not even talking about PvP.

Yeah... and "people" are asking where to find the redeem NPC in this thread, too.

Some people are idiots.

Some people are right.

Class balance has nothing to really do with it. Balance is an ongoing thing. Some classes "suck", then they're "OP".

I consider it a natural progression in the life of a game.

Sort of like the Darwin Awards, but instead of idiots dying in laughable ways, it's dev dollars and active players dying.

With silly patches, instead of installing a jet engine into their old beater.
    Now we introduce another class that (i) follow one of above mentioned roles or (ii) is a hybrid role. If the new class wouldn't be well balanced, the result will be for (i) that this new class will eliminate all other competing classes in this role (as already is true for fighter class, see the GWF vs GF problem in groups). Or for the case of (ii) the class will be a jack of all trades, master of none - and, hence, unwanted in any group.

Wow, two classes can DPS? Control? Tank?

Imagine that.

It would be revolutionary.

We've never had that in a game before.

It would require insane amounts of work to make it work.

They would have to... add content in balance with other things in the game. Shocking.

The solution is, frankly, overlapping roles. Warlock = ranged DPS. Ranger = ranged DPS.

I can think of ten other MMOs where that works.

One shoots pointy things.

One shoots arcane energy things.

Both kill the bad guys.

That's a pretty good start.

Maybe they should hire me.

I personally don't care about more classes. I brought it up because, frankly, it was the number one requested item from the BWE, and the number one asked about question on the forums. Players want more classes. Whether that is hard or easy or unbalanced, doesn't really matter.

Generally, if people think a game doesn't have enough of something, they go to another game. This seems to be (at least in reading) the point more than one other thing that might be lacking for replayability options.

Which means, a reason to come back and play more.

That, and Foundry. Which is a no-brainer. If players make your content, and the rewards are identical to your content, you're going to end up with more content, because we're all people with free time on our hands.

Which was my primary point of my post.

The classes thing was more of a joke, actually.

Anyhow, another note. Those going on about the email being a way to get back players, or a marketing ploy, all the rest:

Yes, they want players back.

Hence, players have left.

It happens in games.

Especially free ones.

Player gone = player not buying shinies from the cash shop. Personally, I don't buy fluff, and there's a lot of fluff.

But this thread isn't about that.

We've acknowledged there aren't two million people playing.

This thread is about the real way to get players to continue to frequent this game.

And, apparently, for people to ask where a merchant is.

People who don't know what Google is.

Or, apparently, the words "on-topic".
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    Its still a bribe to get players back no matter what you say. If this game didnt have a problem with loosing players we would still have 2million happy players which we dont have anymore. Its just a chance of fate i guess your saying that during this spurt of loosing players they just happened to send out the email bribing people or begging them to come back to the game.

What i would like to see is the metrics for the game. Other MMOs do this dont they. My guess would be about 400k current actaul players playing regularly.

Every MMO has the same problem. When a new game launches, a whole bunch of people start playing and then the population drops as people get bored and check something else out. Marketing then does it job to get old players to return again.

And it is quite rare for MMOs to release such info.