test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skill Lag/Stuttering

tgiordano92tgiordano92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I have been having a few extremely annoying problems with neverwinter that I do not have with any other game.

1. Skill lag: This almost makes the game unplayable for me, especially in PvP I use a skill and 5 seconds later it will do it and people will be in different places. same in PVE.

2. Stuttering/freezing? Not sure exactly what to call this but ever 8 seconds or so My pet/npcs/ and other players just randomly freeze for a few seconds and then continue...this makes the game annoying to play as well because feels like I am watching a slideshow.

The skill Lag is new for me the past month but the freezing part has been since the beginning...any tips how to fix this is greatly appreciated even though I feel like the only way to fix this is through NW servers since I have seen other people with same problems.

It is not on my end that's all I know...Every other game runs on max smoothly no lag whatsoever.

thanks
Post edited by tgiordano92 on

Comments

• colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I experienced the same problem. However, reinstalling NW (an arc - less version)
    And updating my direct x (i think it was more of a downgrade), to the version which
    was included in the champions online (steam version, not arc) install.

[the polish version of the NW website still offers the arc-less installer]

And i have 0 stuttering/ lag, again.

• goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This exact thing was happening to me in epic sp yesterday. I would hit shift she would freeze and not dodge or I would use a skill it'll delay 3 secs then activate "if I didn't get cc'd". Needless to say this lead to many kits being wasted.:(
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • tgiordano92tgiordano92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I experienced the same problem. However, reinstalling NW (an arc - less version)
    And updating my direct x (i think it was more of a downgrade), to the version which
    was included in the champions online (steam version, not arc) install.

[the polish version of the NW website still offers the arc-less installer]
    t do you mean about the direct x part?

And i have 0 stuttering/ lag, again.

Guess I can try this, what do you mean about the direct x part? Not sure how to downgrade that
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You'll have to google, "How to remove direct x". Microsoft makes it a fracking pain. I had to do it after I updated on accident for a diff game.

If you're lucky and you installed the new version recently and haven't done any major other changes; you can just restore your computer to prior to install.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You'll have to google, "How to remove direct x". Microsoft makes it a fracking pain. I had to do it after I updated on accident for a diff game.

If you're lucky and you installed the new version recently and haven't done any major other changes; you can just restore your computer to prior to install.

Are you referring to Windows System Restore? I'd strongly recommend against ever using that feature unless Windows is completely hosed and you have no other option.
    edited September 2013
    Well I am currently redownloading NW from he polish site without ARC to see if the stuttering and lag is caused from ARC. He also said to downgrade direct x. seems kind of stupid I would have to do that but if it makes these problems stop im all for it. Just want to be able to play the darn game
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Are you referring to Windows System Restore? I'd strongly recommend against ever using that feature unless Windows is completely hosed and you have no other option.

Kind of depends which version of windows you're running. XP was terribad, I will not deny that fact.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There are three different options for DirectX on the video tab (assuming you have a Directx10/11 compatible video card). Rather than downgrading DirectX on the OS (which could result in problems with other apps) it might be wiser to try each of the API options if you're seeing stuttering using "Auto". Just a thought. I always recommend folks install the most current version of DirectX 9 on Windows 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    edited September 2013
    I tried messing with that last night changing it from auto. my GPU can def handle it and I am also on windows 8 if that makes any difference.
    edited September 2013
    Well I am currently redownloading NW from he polish site without ARC to see if the stuttering and lag is caused from ARC. He also said to downgrade direct x. seems kind of stupid I would have to do that but if it makes these problems stop im all for it. Just want to be able to play the darn game

I just installed champions online. The directx that came along with it, fixed my stuttering problem. I removed the game afterwards. In my case an accident actually fixed NW. I was about to "go away" for a while because of the stuttering and decided to install champions online, again. However, after i realized that i only had about 20 minutes left, until my 6/7 celestial coins would expire, i gave invoking another shot and to my surprise, there was no lag, no stuttering, no freezing anymore.

Keep in mind, this is a suggestion. It might not work for you, but i wanted to share how i got it fixed on my rig. I did use dx 11, now dx 9 if that helps. (w7 enterprise)

The real question is, what causes the stuttering? ARC or the game itself.

edited September 2013
    Just install champions online. The directx that comes along with it, fixed my stuttering problem. Remove the game afterwards. Or try to find out which dx version you are using, manually. In my case an accident actually fixed NW. I was about to "go away" for a while because of the stuttering and decided to install champions only, again. However, after i realized that i only had about 20 minutes left, until my 6/7 celestial coins would expire, i gave invoking another shot and to my surprise, there was no lag, no stuttering, no freezing anymore.

Keep in mind, this is a suggestion. It might not work for you, but i wanted to share how i got it fixed on my rig.

Yeah thanks for the suggestions, Which directx do you have? I actually have champions installed already, downloaded it last week. Mines directx11
    edited September 2013
    Yeah thanks for the suggestions, Which directx do you have? I actually have champions installed already, downloaded it last week. Mines directx11

dx 9, now - latest version. win 7 32.

edited September 2013
    yeah thats not working for me =/ thanks for help though. Guess I will be taking a break until they fix this issue. sucks
    edited September 2013
    yeah thats not working for me =/ thanks for help though. Guess I will be taking a break until they fix this issue. sucks

Sorry to hear that. I hope you'll be able to play again, soon. I'll keep my eyes open and post things here, if i can find more input about this issue.

edited September 2013
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you'll be able to play again, soon. I'll keep my eyes open and post things here, if i can find more input about this issue.

Thanks a lot:) I really wish I could play but these issues just take the fun out of it.
    edited September 2013
    So just to make sure, I downloaded WoW, and guild wars 2 again and they ran flawlessly. I then jumped on champions online and the same stuttering of moving things persists in that game just like neverwinter. Makes me think they will never fix this issue if its still present in an older game like champions.... sad
    edited September 2013
    Just incase anyone looks at this and has ideas. I have windows 8, and GPU 7970m if any of that makes a difference
  • harshalnharshaln Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yes lagging after latest patch. new issue
    edited September 2013
    Skill lag started for me the patch before this yesterdays. The stuttering been going on endlessly since release
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    The lag is from the company shutting servers down probly. The player base is dropping. They have now started to beg people to come back and play the game even bribe them with free stuff. A copmany like this uses servers if they are not making full use of them and the game is loosing money they start to look at ways to trim down costs of running the game cutting out servers and using them for something else is a way to save money.

So get use to the lag it will be here now for along time to come.
    edited September 2013
    Doubt that
    edited September 2013
    Update. I'm trying /netgrpah in neverwinter and ping changes a lot from 120s-200s rapidly. also seems to be unpacking a crapload of stuff all the time. and sometimes when that freezing is happening i encounter the ping test freezes as well at a certain number for s short time. wish a dev would help out on this. I also have been looking around interenet and see in peoples videos the same thing is happening to them
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Having this "lag" as well. I cast Oppressive Force, blink away, oh my god, OF is not casting, wait, it's now casting on my location, miles away from the mob pack, 0 damage. Steal Time, I have no idea when my CW is done casting it. Even worse is when my CW stops running for a bit in the middle of the fight and I mash Shift-something desperately to get it out of the overlapping red zones.

Ping around 170, but rapidly oscillating. Have no idea wtf is with this ping, I have very good 100 mbps connection that used to gave 30-40 ping on WoW.
    edited September 2013
    Same only happening in this game. sad :( realllly want to play
    edited September 2013
    Might have a little fix, not completely but better. Went into router settings and changed it from 2.4 to 5ghz and made the bandwidth 40 instead of 20 and the slideshow glitch i was expreienceing subsided a bit. But i did have rubberbanding issues for the first time when i switched. Also manually changed to direct x 9 in NW videin tomorrow to see if it still improved.o settings. will try aga
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Might have a little fix, not completely but better. Went into router settings and changed it from 2.4 to 5ghz and made the bandwidth 40 instead of 20 and the slideshow glitch i was expreienceing subsided a bit. But i did have rubberbanding issues for the first time when i switched. Also manually changed to direct x 9 in NW videin tomorrow to see if it still improved.o settings. will try aga

So you say the problem is .
    I have good pc and good net -connection.
    And the problem is by me and other ....hudred player's.
    Not with server or game client.

I am no programmer, but i buyed Alienware X51 to play game's.
    Beause i don't want to change setting's.
    Becuse i don't want to change router setting's.
    Mybe i am dump and the problem is by me.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
    edited September 2013
    So you say the problem is .
    I have good pc and good net -connection.
    And the problem is by me and other ....hudred player's.
    Not with server or game client.

I am no programmer, but i buyed Alienware X51 to play game's.
    Beause i don't want to change setting's.
    Becuse i don't want to change router setting's.
    Mybe i am dump and the problem is by me.

I can max every game fine as well and never had interent problems but, maybe this game requires a little different wifi settings? I have no idea if this actually solved the problem yet but i hope so. I know nothing about networking so not sure if that helped or not.
    edited September 2013
    UPDATE: the wifi settings did not do a thing, problem still persist with same frequency today. Not sure why it temp worked last night for a few minutes.
    edited September 2013
    Would really like a dev to reply to this or something. Tried everything. Wired, change wireless settings, change graphics settings, change direct x, tried port forwarding, tried flushing dns, tried swapping launcher for a different one as suggested by a dev a month ago from a different post. tried proxy. So Neverwinter techs, is this your games problem? and when are you going to fix it?
    edited September 2013
    bump. anyone.