test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon Delve and other event times

pjdvpjdv Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 67
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Can someone from the game developer please explain why the event times do not rotate by 1 hour each day instead of the current schedule? i have been tracking the times for a week now and the schedule for today (monday) is exactly the same with last monday. the problem is, the dungeon delve has been at 12/6 twice, 2/8 twice, 4/10 twice, and 5/11 once and now it is back on the 6/12 rotation.

this makes no sense. where is the 7PM start time EST, where is the 9PM start time EST? Why is it jumping two hours everyday instead of a nice predictable 1 hour which would clearly be a better rotation?

Getting teams together to do the dungeon is hard enough without having as many options as possible.

Also, the schedule changes occur only at generally 2AM giving repeat occurances of Delve at 2AM/4AM EST. Ditto Gauntlgrym which clearly favours West Coast players
Post edited by pjdv on

Comments

• slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    How is 2 hours shift per day less predictable than 1 hour?
  • pjdvpjdv Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 67
    edited September 2013
    it shifts 2 hours 5 days and 1 hour on 2 other days. However, You are missing the point. Basic math says that 24 mod2 does not give all permutations of start times and gives fewer evening options to working folks with families that have to fit in 1-2 hour timeslots to do dungeon delves or even longer to get full Gaunt event participation and dungeons. it is simply not thought out properly and I'm looking for some 'rationale' explanation for why they have implemented it this way or if it simply oversight

given they are on 6 hour cycles right now, they would rotate through 1 hour later each weekday and start on the same weekday 1 hour later each week going back to same schedule on week 7.
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    The times suck for everyone that has to work. I checked this morning (I don't have time to do a 1-2 hour dungeon run in the morning when I have to go to work, so it is pointless when I can do a DD there). There was a DD running and about 1 hour later the next DD was already announced. In the evening, when I come home either there was a DD shortly before I came home or it will be around midnight. There are very few moments I can run a DD.

I think it is really time to go into another direction. Give out 1-3 keys a day (similar to the sharandar chest unlock dungeons) and let me use this key on any chest in any dungeon at any time I want. Then I can decide when I want to run a dungeon and get the final chest.

Current system just leads to dead queues whenever it is not DD time or when DD has started 10 minutes before. Unless you are in a party when DD is starting you wait 2 hours for a queue for certain dungeons today.
  • psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I seconds what Yokihiro said...

I recommended a similar solution a month ago in these forums, and one person almost took off my head with his whining about how stupid an idea it was.

My idea was you could pick two Dungeons a day for DD, and you simply chose when entering if a DD or not, and had 1/2 hour from that moment to complete it.

The concept could be done for all daily events. Skirmishes, Professions, etc. You choose when to start your clock for that event, and can only have one event at a time going.
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I seconds what Yokihiro said...

I recommended a similar solution a month ago in these forums, and one person almost took off my head with his whining about how stupid an idea it was.

My idea was you could pick two Dungeons a day for DD, and you simply chose when entering if a DD or not, and had 1/2 hour from that moment to complete it.

The concept could be done for all daily events. Skirmishes, Professions, etc. You choose when to start your clock for that event, and can only have one event at a time going.

I would've done the same as that person, except your post is so stupid I have to get out of this thread asap before I am tainted.
    edited September 2013
    I would've done the same as that person, except your post is so stupid I have to get out of this thread asap before I am tainted.

Love these type of replies - name calling and no explanation as to the problem. Simply put, creating a reward system that is based on limited timeslots that DO NOT ROTATE THROUGH EACH START TIME IN THE EVENING is ridiculous. There is no rationale reason for this system as it only actually deprives people of opportunities to participate in content.

I completely agree that a system that requires you to do something to open it up is reasonable - but it should be gated by participation and not by arbitrary time zones that are not appropriately flexible.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I find the idea of having a half hour to complete your delve inappropriately inflexible, though the idea of having a limited number of daily keys to use on them is appealing. For one thing, it would be punitive to any group that struggles with a dungeon but doesn't give up. It also discourages exploration even more so than usual.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1/2 hour for dungeon completions is the dumbest thing ever. random pugs and queue groups (the people who need DD chest loot) would never get them. exp groups would never take unexp players into dungeons since they risk everyone losing their DD chest.

a quest npc that gave you a DD unlock key, and the quest reset every 6 hours, would be the closest thing to a solution allowing people to run DDs whenever they had the time, not based on when the game wanted you too, while still limiting DDs to every 6 hours. ofc you could only run 1 dungeon every 6 hours instead of multiple runs per DD timer, but you could store up/save the DD keys and do multiple runs when you had a chunk of time.
  • dgfdsdgsgh3dgfdsdgsgh3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    The timing of delves are pure genius.

The people who have a lot of time, and usually that means unemployment etc so not much money, can farm delves and sell extra stuff to people who don't have a lot of time, they are too busy making money.

Now how do you as a developer get people with money to spend them? Make them compete with people who have a lot more time to play than them and eventually they notice they cannot keep up at all without spending cash.

Without people who have a lot of time to grind and offer things to sell to people with money the income to developers would suffer and to make **** sure the people with money spend it they made it even harder for them to gear up playing by timing the delves the way they are.
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    The times suck for everyone that has to work. I checked this morning (I don't have time to do a 1-2 hour dungeon run in the morning when I have to go to work, so it is pointless when I can do a DD there). There was a DD running and about 1 hour later the next DD was already announced. In the evening, when I come home either there was a DD shortly before I came home or it will be around midnight. There are very few moments I can run a DD.

I think it is really time to go into another direction. Give out 1-3 keys a day (similar to the sharandar chest unlock dungeons) and let me use this key on any chest in any dungeon at any time I want. Then I can decide when I want to run a dungeon and get the final chest.

Current system just leads to dead queues whenever it is not DD time or when DD has started 10 minutes before. Unless you are in a party when DD is starting you wait 2 hours for a queue for certain dungeons today.

Amen! I love the new key system and hope to see all the dungeons adopt a similar mechanic. I am eastern time and it seems by the time i get home and eat dinner, i have missed the DD event. My normal game time is 6:30 - 8:00 and in bed by 10... so if i do not catch a DD Saturday or Sunday afternoon (kids have early am sports or if not i am sleeping in), i miss it all week. 8-10 is needed to limit wife aggro.
    The timing of delves are pure genius.

The people who have a lot of time, and usually that means unemployment etc so not much money, can farm delves and sell extra stuff to people who don't have a lot of time, they are too busy making money.

Now how do you as a developer get people with money to spend them? Make them compete with people who have a lot more time to play than them and eventually they notice they cannot keep up at all without spending cash.

Without people who have a lot of time to grind and offer things to sell to people with money the income to developers would suffer and to make **** sure the people with money spend it they made it even harder for them to gear up playing by timing the delves the way they are.

I disagree. This would allow the less busy folks more time to get items to sell. Also, the chest items are BOP, so this does nothing of which you suggest.

Generally working people want to work for thier stuff, not be P2W players. If a game by design forces me to be P2W, i am not going to invest in it.
  • synslaughtersynslaughter Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Generally working people want to work for their stuff, not be P2W players. If a game by design forces me to be P2W, i am not going to invest in it.[/QUOTE]

Precisely. The working world should not be penalized for being productive members of real-world society in addition to having a similarly good work ethic in-game. Why anyone would sneer at the suggestion of making dungeon delve events (among others) more accessible to those best capable of spending money on Zen items (stones, mounts, and fashion items) is entirely beyond me. From a business perspective, it's still sound: please the paying customer. The market for bought gear won't disappear - people unwilling or insufficiently skilled/experienced to dungeon their way to better items will always exist, so the non-paying player with oodles of free time and dungeon experience will still have AD incentive to sell the boss drops. Either a change in the event cycle so the events appear at different times throughout the week (and spare me the "they do!" nonsense; every weekday the DD event appears precisely at 2 and 10 p.m. in my time zone without deviation), or a key-per-unit-time option would increase accessibility without proving detrimental to the current market.

Thumbs up on the key idea being implemented for the rest of the dungeons. For complainants about the idea: come back and complain when you've responsibilities more strenuous - and consumptive of time - than wiping your own rear end.
    I have the ability to heal you. A shield to protect you. Blades to slay your foes. Magic! So I'm a tiefling, so what? We have a common enemy, and a common goal. Here, you can put ornaments on my horns if it'll put you at ease.
    edited September 2013
    Glad I got at least some discussion going ! I believe 'work for key' like Sharandar, with lock out timer for key generating events, with ability to store up keys for those 'wow we got the whole team together for more than an hour' days would work really well for all dungeons.... Maybe this is what they have in mind moving forward based on Sharandar but would like them to revamp Gauntlgrym and Ddelve as well. Really, the expiring keys of Guant are truly a bad idea - yes, make it so that the key doesn't drop unless you participate for say 50% of event time or something or based on score but why do I have to run the dungeon when they say I need to!?

I find it interesting that people believe this is based on economics of the game. I've always found buying gear a pretty silly thing to do as this pretty much makes the playing of the actual end-game pretty useless - I'm playing because I want the fun of getting the right drops and will only play something multiple times because of this opportunity. Once I am fully geared, I am moving on to another game until new content comes out. I will, however, spend real money for the fun of it on lockboxes, and actually on game upgrades as I want to 'support' the game.
    I have a committed group of 5 people in different time zones who will keep playing this end-game IF they make it more convenient to play it
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    the key option would be the easiest to use. pick the key quest and get a key. maybe per day more than 1. lets say 3. key can't be discarded or sold and stays in your backpack unless you use it for opening a chest in any dungeon. the max number of keys you could have would be then 3 (the max number you can get per day). so if you grab a key and don't do any dungeon runs you can just keep it but won't get another one. so no stockpiling (similar if you pick PVP daily, if you don't finish it the quest just stays in your journal but you cannot grab a second PVP daily). also there would need to be a daily timer. grabbing a new key would only be possible (after you used one) when the daily would reset. that is the very same mechanic like in Sharandar with the "Get a key" quest. if i pick my key today but finish it tomorrow after the reset this would count as doing it that day, so a new key would be available next day and so forth.

so basically you could open 3 dungeon chests per day whenever you want. when you run one dungeon and use your key, you have 2 left. either you run 2 more or just leave it. then next day when timer resets you could grab 1 new key (because you still have 2 in inventory).

with that everyone could decide when to run a dungeon. no time that would pressure you. you could even run a dungeon and don't use the key to unlock the chest. all up to you.
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    the key option would be the easiest to use. pick the key quest and get a key. maybe per day more than 1. lets say 3. key can't be discarded or sold and stays in your backpack unless you use it for opening a chest in any dungeon. the max number of keys you could have would be then 3 (the max number you can get per day). so if you grab a key and don't do any dungeon runs you can just keep it but won't get another one. so no stockpiling (similar if you pick PVP daily, if you don't finish it the quest just stays in your journal but you cannot grab a second PVP daily). also there would need to be a daily timer. grabbing a new key would only be possible (after you used one) when the daily would reset. that is the very same mechanic like in Sharandar with the "Get a key" quest. if i pick my key today but finish it tomorrow after the reset this would count as doing it that day, so a new key would be available next day and so forth.

so basically you could open 3 dungeon chests per day whenever you want. when you run one dungeon and use your key, you have 2 left. either you run 2 more or just leave it. then next day when timer resets you could grab 1 new key (because you still have 2 in inventory).

with that everyone could decide when to run a dungeon. no time that would pressure you. you could even run a dungeon and don't use the key to unlock the chest. all up to you.

We've been asking for months to get rid of the timer system. DD times are even now causing guild stress. Experienced delvers tend to que with other experienced delvers leaving those who have not run many dungeons to watch an expiring timer. Giving us daily keys for a chest would allow us to run dungeons at our leisure.

Does anyone actually like these timers?
    edited September 2013

Back under your rock Troll!

Anyone can complain, whine, and cast dispersions at other people ideas! That is easy, making suggestions, which requires thinking and conceiving, is harder.

Since I do not see a single suggestion from you, on how to fix the problem with Dungeon Delves. Especially for those who cannot game exactly when they are running. I see your reaction to my post with a suggestion, with no critique as to why you think it is so stupid, as nothing more than a Troll.

Come back with your own idea, and let the rest of us who are thinking, give your idea some constructive criticism. I promise I will not simply say anything even close to "your post is so stupid I have to get out of this thread asap before I am tainted!"

Prove me wrong, in proclaiming you a Troll, by doing so. I will retract my claim if you do. However, if you don't come with anything, I will leave my proclamation as it is.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I don't like the "event" itself. If I can log in at 21:00 and no DD is coming, I can quit immediatly. I don't understand why I should have a reward only if there is DD. Bosses are hard also without DD, the time I spend to maje the dungeon is the same... why I don't have a reward?

Events are bad planned: in this way they make dungeons themselves usless, and only DD give a reward. It is bad. They should activate the final chess everytime the final boss die, event or not, and when there is event something else will occur (ex. more reward in the chest, or an enchantment shard guaranteed or something else...)
    edited September 2013
    I don't like the "event" itself. If I can log in at 21:00 and no DD is coming, I can quit immediatly. I don't understand why I should have a reward only if there is DD. Bosses are hard also without DD, the time I spend to maje the dungeon is the same... why I don't have a reward?

Events are bad planned: in this way they make dungeons themselves usless, and only DD give a reward. It is bad. They should activate the final chess everytime the final boss die, event or not, and when there is event something else will occur (ex. more reward in the chest, or an enchantment shard guaranteed or something else...)

I see you are on the side of change. Great, welcome aboard.

One reason to not always have the reward, is Inflation from too many of the same thing in the world, and the deflation in the value of the items found.

Do you think the Key concept provided before would address your complaints adequately, and if not, why?
    Psyb3rTr011
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It would be so nice if the DD events proper times to be explained or showed for the next day.

I am in GMT+1 zone and there is a double DD in the morning.
    Usually at 8 plus 10 or 6 plus 8 maybe.
  • cr8t0rcr8t0r Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They need to change the schedule for the EAST coast people, it is hard for the majority of us to do any delves on the times they have it currently, Ive been stuck with pvp gear for over a month on all 3 of my characters. Any system that would allow East coast players to do Delves will be welcome.
  • sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Precisely. The working world should not be penalized for being productive members of real-world society in addition to having a similarly good work ethic in-game.

Lol, as a game publisher on a capitalist free market my first priority is making money and possibly profit. I couldn't care less about how productive or unproductive others are, and about ethics, that only exists in philosophy books and some crazy people's hearts like yours. Greed is god. :)
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
    edited September 2013
    sortof wrote: »
    Lol, as a game publisher on a capitalist free market my first priority is making money and possibly profit. I couldn't care less about how productive or unproductive others are, and about ethics, that only exists in philosophy books and some crazy people's hearts like yours. Greed is god. :)

I believe the premise of this whole thread is that there is an assumption that if they did any kind of data analysis on their game usage, that if they do not remove some of the onerous scheduling/design flaws (ignoring bugs - we are talking about overall design principles like the timed delves), that there will be (or even is) a precipitous drop overall in game time by a significant chunk of the player base - adults, with money, who want to play end game content even if it takes work to gear up but on their own schedule and not a fabricated schedule....and as noted previous: a schedule that actually does not even allow for a full breadth of start/play times but rotates through a fixed but incomplete cycle.

so of course the game publisher should maximize their profit - but as with any business, they can do this by satisfying their customers needs at the same time - not rocket science