test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Worst Lockbox ever??

xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Right, I had a rush of blood to the head and traded in around 45K of AD for 125 Zen to open a Feywild Lockbox.
I know, I know *facepalm. But the deed was done and I had close to 60 lockboxes laying around just trolling my inventory.

Now, when I opened it, I got 2 T bars and a Faerie Cache of Runestones - it'll still be good I told myself.

Opened the cache and.............. 1 x Arcane Runestone Rank 4, 1 x Profane Runestone Rank 4 and 1 x Training Runestone Rank 4. Woot.

To summarise, 2 T Bars and 3 x Rank 4 runestones. A quick glance at the Dragon auction house shows that I could of got 3 of the same runestones (but at a Rank 5) for around 5-6K AD)

Is that the worst lockbox ever? Or can you outdo it? Post your unlocks of shame!!
Post edited by xenotorch on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can't give you a real example, but I *think* it's possible for the RNG to throw you 1 Tbar and x3 Training Runestones 4.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    It's common knowledge: the new lockboxes are a bunch of biological stinking human-produced waste.
    edited September 2013
    It's common knowledge: the new lockboxes are a bunch of biological stinking human-produced waste.

They just don't have the goodies of the Nightmare boxes, but technically, either of the junky prizes cited above, real and fictional, could just as easily be generated from a Nightmare box.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I have had nothing but luck, lots of bars, rank 6+ runes, blues and purples out the wazoo especially for my professions. I have auction off enough to outfit two of my characters in full T2 regalia and opened the first two repositories in my build bank. Im good with the feywild lockboxes :)
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can't give you a real example, but I *think* it's possible for the RNG to throw you 1 Tbar and x3 Training Runestones 4.

That's close to one I got. I got 7 bars and 3 training runestones. Similarly bad would be bars and a trashqil enchant.

Out of 20 boxes I opened the only things of note were 5 weapon/artificing profession packs(total of 6 green weaponsmiths, one blue artificer and one green artificer), three planar idols and exactly one relic. Got multiple trash runes(including the new ones) and an average of 15 bars per box.

Compared to some, I'm probably very lucky. I'll never use keys again.

(In case people wanted to know why I opened them, I wanted fey sparks to open up area 2 a couple weeks ago).
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you're going to waste AD on lockboxes, at least open Nightmare ones instead and get guaranteed 10 Tarmalune Bars plus all the normal goodies.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They just don't have the goodies of the Nightmare boxes, but technically, either of the junky prizes cited above, real and fictional, could just as easily be generated from a Nightmare box.

yes. all lockboxes are a gamble with the random number generator. and you take that chance when you buy a key. of course it sucks when you don't get the grand prize or something of value, but that's part of the excitement! i mean, if you had won a stag, would the OP have run here and posted pictures? doubtful. but hey... it's not even a required part of the game. if you're not into that kind of risk, why get involved with it?
  • xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I opened around 10-12 Nightmare lockboxes - no mounts or firebirds. Profession boxes, no Liliend.

So, did I expect top of the range stuff from a Feywild? Nope, even I ain't that dumb. But I also didn't expect to roll snake-eyes on every opportunity.
    When you buy a lottery card, companies try to give you a incentive to buy another if you lose (sorry, when you lose) like giving the first 2 places the same type then dashing the hopes on the third. It gives you hope you were really close and you might get lucky next-time. I kinda got that feeling from the Nightmare boxes. The profession boxes always gave something of value - (not the price but something usable or saleable).
    But this one hasn't given me an incentive to go for another. Rather the opposite - the result is so crushingly bad. Although the notion is that there is no way it could be as bad I'm still inclined not to risk it.

If I was a cynic in charge of this game, I would ensure there was a hard-coded result for the first RNG any player bought that gave them a decent result. Not the best but a carefully crafted reward that gave the impression there was more to come. Mwahahahaha.
    If anything, this result proved the RNG works in a fair fashion. **** it.

Come on - cheer me up. Someone must of had a worst result - anybody??
    edited September 2013
    i'm not sure how many nightmare boxes i opened but it was probably over fifty. maybe close to 100. i don't know but i don't look back on that and think "man, how stupid was that?" it was the risk i took by getting a key and i understood that risk. as i said before, i understand how disappointing it is to not win.

so... sorry you didn't win, man. maybe next time?
    edited September 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    If you're going to waste AD on lockboxes, at least open Nightmare ones instead and get guaranteed 10 Tarmalune Bars plus all the normal goodies.

Not guaranteed at all. From Nightmare boxes, I've had as few as 2 (maybe 1? but I remember 2 for sure) and as many as 65 or so. In my head, it worked out to an average of 10 per box with the rare huge drop compensating for the more common poor ones.

I received a tip to always wait to open boxes when you have Gambler's Fortune up. I don't know if it helps, but it doesn't seem to hurt. I got an awful lot of idols and Leadership packs for my trouble. I won't open the Fey boxes though because the good stuff in them isn't sufficient to make up for the not-so-good stuff.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i'm not sure how many nightmare boxes i opened but it was probably over fifty. maybe close to 100. i don't know but i don't look back on that and think "man, how stupid was that?" it was the risk i took by getting a key and i understood that risk. as i said before, i understand how disappointing it is to not win.

so... sorry you didn't win, man. maybe next time?

No its really bad, these boxes are terrible. The Nightmare boxes were worth it, these absolutely are not.
    edited September 2013
    No its really bad, these boxes are terrible. The Nightmare boxes were worth it, these absolutely are not.

i've bought two keys for feywild boxes. i opened one and i gave the other key to a friend. and yes, the rewards are fewer than the nightmare lockboxes and personally, i'm not really interested in a stag. but that is just my opinion. if i were to open any boxes today or in the future, it would be opening old nightmare boxes. but still under the guise that it's all at tremendous risk of getting less than the value of the key.
  • faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    Yea too bad I usually open all boxes I find but not anymore.
    edited September 2013
    Yea too bad I usually open all boxes I find but not anymore.

Especially with all the recent changes to increase drop rates.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• baleriondrogonbaleriondrogon Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 53
    edited September 2013
    I doubt I will open one box in the near future, too many horror stories.
    " I don't know half of you as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve." -J.R.R. Tolkien
    hzcMHai.gif0SwPbeK.gif
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can happily say I only discard these trivialities, across all my characters. Maybe the Dev's could create an accolade for trashing 1000 lock boxes - I must be getting close:p
    Definitely not an Arc User.
    edited September 2013
    Especially with all the recent changes to increase drop rates.

i think on all combined characters, i probably have well over 500 lockboxes. good thing they stack in one slot. XD
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Opened 100stk FW-box And got this:
    50 stk Faerie Cache of Runestones
    20 stk Feywild Strongbox of Enchantments
    8 stk Sylvan Equipment Arsenal
    5 stk Weaponsmith and Artificer Pack-(4 green Assets and 1 blue)
    7 stk Planar Idol - i buy another 7 key's by exchange ad for zen
    and at last 24 stk Illefarn Relic Fragment sold them for 10k ad each
    Trade bar 589
    Total result NM box are 100 times better .
    NO epic mount enchant or companion or c.ward.

Mybe i am unlucky, but with 100 stk nm box the story was different.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • wildgerwildger Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Even if you have no luck, you still get more bars with NM boxes than Feywild.
    edited September 2013

Coalescent wards don't drop from these. The Nightmare rune and enchantment coffers had a slim chance to drop a ward, as stated in their item descriptions. If you read the descriptions on the cache and strongbox, they do not drop wards, even rarely.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited September 2013
    wildger wrote: »
    Even if you have no luck, you still get more bars with NM boxes than Feywild.
    True FW box 10-20<->NM box 8-15(but i am not sure i don't get less or more)
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just wait for a new patch coming soon that will introduce the nightmare bug again, and then rush to get keys and open boxes...

Based on the trend of adding more bugs with every patch... This will happen again... and I'll be there exploiting it to the max!
    edited September 2013
    Coalescent wards don't drop from these. The Nightmare rune and enchantment coffers had a slim chance to drop a ward, as stated in their item descriptions. If you read the descriptions on the cache and strongbox, they do not drop wards, even rarely.

Jepp true f.... and i open all those trash enchant packs. But promise chance for purple enchant.
    edited September 2013
    krisst0f wrote: »
    Just wait for a new patch coming soon that will introduce the nightmare bug again, and then rush to get keys and open boxes...

Based on the trend of adding more bugs with every patch... This will happen again... and I'll be there exploiting it to the max!

:) I buyed my nm mount for 300k ad after FW patch.(with more then hundred nm box opened i have no luck to gain mount )I was happy after this bug.
    edited September 2013
    It's going to be a low chance. When I was opening Nightmare boxes, I got three coalescent wards from the coffers but I think only a rank 7 rune or enchant twice (lots of rank 5s though, which I made very good use of). Also preservation wards twice.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It would explain why these Feywild Lockboxes drop like rain drops in a thunderstorm.
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    krisst0f wrote: »

Whatever do you mean?!! There are no lockbox exploiters .... just some players who get "lucky". ;)
  • grizzly1545grizzly1545 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I spent around $30 on keys and got jack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Opened 100stk FW-box And got this:
    50 stk Faerie Cache of Runestones
    20 stk Feywild Strongbox of Enchantments
    8 stk Sylvan Equipment Arsenal
    5 stk Weaponsmith and Artificer Pack-(4 green Assets and 1 blue)
    7 stk Planar Idol - i buy another 7 key's by exchange ad for zen
    and at last 24 stk Illefarn Relic Fragment sold them for 10k ad each
    Trade bar 589
    Total result NM box are 100 times better .

Mybe i am unlucky, but with 100 stk nm box the story was different.

Runestone packs are worth anywhere from <2k to >100k (With the odds being MUCH more likely toward the low end)
    Enchantment packs are the same, <2k to >100k (With the odds being MUCH more likely toward the low end)
    Arsenals are generally worth 5k to 20k, assuming you open then on an appropriate leveled character.
    Professions packs are generally worth 20-400k (Your numbers can't be right as they are guaranteed TWO assets each)
    Idols are worth 40-50k I believe

So in total you should have earned between 1.15M and 10.1M in AD value (Heavily weighted toward the low end) for a cost of close to 4M. Which is pretty close to what I've seen too. Generally it seems to average out to about 1/2 the value spent on keys in returned value from opening the boxes, this is true of both lockboxes.

In other words, it ain't worth it. You have to put both some small effort as well as resources into acquiring and opening the boxes, and you receive far less in return, it's a cheap and lazy scam.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.