test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Auction House issue (Math Below)

syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm not sure whether to file this under a bug or not. But I think there's something wrong with the Auction house returns. I'll admit I've not paid a lot of attention to what I'm supposed to be receiving back for my sales until recently, now that I'm trying to turn profits off of Zen store items.

So I recently sold an item at 100,000 AD. The AH says its cut is 10%, which is 10,000 AD, which means I simply should receive 90,000 AD back. (that does include the posting price, which you get refunded when your item sells). I posted the Bid at 99,000AD , which they charge 1980 AD for.

So, how does the game-mail message that "You have sold 1 ____ on the auction house to ____ for 100000 Astral Diamonds. The net income after fees is 87500 Astral Diamonds, plus a refund of the initial posting fee of 1980 Astral Diamonds." make ANY sense?

First off, my net income should be 88020 AD. 90,000 AD - 1980 AD = 88020 AD. So already, their equation is off somewhere, or I'm missing something.

My complete return from the sale was 89480 AD, not the 90,000 AD that it should be, again, unless I'm missing something.

So, if my math is right, which I think it is, the AH is actually taking 10.52%, not the 10% as advertised. It's kind of crying over pennies to some, but that IS AD I've earned and would like every single diamond.

Sooooo... anyone else notice oddities in their sales? Is my math correct? Am I missing something?
contents to be decided
Post edited by syka08 on

Comments

• Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You actually lost 12.5%.

(100k - 12.5k = 87500 - the fee is separate, and refunded in your total earnings.)

The reason you lost 12.5% is because you used the remote auction house. If you go locally and click on a AH dude, the fee is 10%. If you do it remote - ingame, the fee is 12.5%.

You can do it remote ingame for 10% too, but you'll have to put the item you want to AH in your first bag, then log on the gateway (gateway fee is always 10%).
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    yaminaboyaminabo Member, Banned Users Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    **** lol read before using AH outside AH NPC
  • Options
    ariella321ariella321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you use the auction broker instead of directly using the auction house, the cut is 12.5 percent. Getting 87500 out 100000 looks to be a 12.5 percent cut (I don't think the posting fee is considered in this calculation).

I have heard of ways this can happen when posting at the auction house, too. Like if something interrupts your interaction with the auction house while the consignment window is open.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    axer128 wrote: »
    You can do it remote ingame for 10% too, but you'll have to put the item you want to AH in your first bag, then log on the gateway (gateway fee is always 10%).

Actually, the Gateway interface says it takes a 10% cut, but in practice is the same as using remote access, 12.5%. That's probably what happened to the OP. There's a thread about this near the top of the bug forum right now.

Also, something I read about in the bug forum a bit back, even if you are at the in-game AH, if you take any action that interrupts your interaction with the merchant (OP in that case had opted to invoke when someone tossed out an altar), the game sets you into remote access mode. The same thing happens with mail, except then it's glaringly obvious that you can no longer send or loot items, and you need to re-click. With the AH, if you don't notice that percentage text change, you'll get dinged for it.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Did post it via Gateway, which is where I was basing the 10% cut from. So the gateway may not be reflecting the proper cut then?

Edit: Good to know that the Gateway is doing this. I'm just going to adjust my excel sheet to 12.5% and be happily surprised if I make more than that then for now.

Now, I didnt realize that there was a difference between doing it remotely in-game or not. So that's good to know.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ariella321 wrote: »
    I(I don't think the posting fee is considered in this calculation)

It's not. Posting fee is refunded flat, after the AH percentage is calculated.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited September 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?475261-Trade-House-Cut-value-displays-on-Gateway-is-incorrect

Said bug-thread earlier mentioned.

Thanks for the info!

moral 1 of the story: if you want to maximize profits, ALWAYS go to the AH in PE. Got it.

Moral 2: Text based errors are fricking annoying.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    bladerunner2000bladerunner2000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ariella321 wrote: »
    If you use the auction broker instead of directly using the auction house, the cut is 12.5 percent.

Holy Sh*t... it would be nice for them to make this known. I've only used the remote AH and must have sold at least a million in AD. I want my 25K AD back!!!!! Whaaaa....... Guess it cost a lot of AD to program that broker....
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's a problem with the Gateway interface, because it's mislabelled and the player has no way to know they've been misinformed until after they make a sale (and then only if they bother themselves about the math).

Remote AH in-game, all you need to do is read. Says right on it, 12.5%.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited September 2013
    A lot of the selling I do is via the gateway. I dont think I've ever touched the AH in PE or really on the remote side. Still, good to know. Excel sheet has been adjusted accordingly and I've thrown in my lot on that error thread.

Thank you all who posted constructive and helpful things ^_^
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    bladerunner2000bladerunner2000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Remote AH in-game, all you need to do is read. Says right on it, 12.5%.

You have no idea that the AH is 10% unless you have gone there for some reason and then checked/noticed the rate. As I found the remote broker link on day one I had no reason to believe that the cut is different on at the actual AH. Anyway no big issue. My post was half sarcastic.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well, there is a quest that sends you to the AH. It does come a level or two after the one that introduces you to the broker though.

The thing is, the broker quest doesn't really talk about using that interface to sell stuff.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    chuamishaelchuamishael Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Good to know, now I understand there is a difference in local and remot AH .. LOL
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Btw, the Trade House Cut displays on Gateway AH is 10%, while it is actually 12.5%.